Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Last of Us Part II

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:18 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:33 am Pretty sure I mentioned I'd never played the 2nd game so I've been reading about it.. and to my surprise it apparently is pretty hated by the fan base.. and reading through the plot and about the characters.. I feel like I hate it and haven't even played it. What were they thinking... just everything about it sounds awful.
The gameplay and visuals of the game are alright. The voice acting and shit are fairly good as well. It just felt like a statement piece on inclusionism and sexuality. I'm fine with people speaking out about their beliefs and my criticism has nothing to do with what they were speaking about in particular. I just wish the game was about the game, and not about someone's real life agenda. It's definitely worth a play through. It's still good. Just feels like if they had stuck with their original formula it could have been so much better.

Also... Those fuckers killed Joel. Fuck them.
It's a game that really didn't need a sequel in the first place. Let alone another one, my God. I felt the entire story of the second game is more or less hammering you in the head with, "No, what Joel did was really fucked. He murders all these people and he's selfish and what if those people have something taken away from them by his actions. How would they feel?" For like 30 hours. And I'm going " Yeah, I know. That's what I got out of the ending to the first game." I don't need another entire game unpacking the ending and the fallout from it. I understand what you were doing in the first game.

I guess some people didn’t quite put it together and were all like no Joel rules. He cares so much about Ellie. While he's laying waste to all these other people. Guilty, innocent, whatever he doesn't care. Joel is very sympathetic and at the same time very selfish and repugnant.

Also as an actual video game, mechanically it plays miles ahead of the original. That's probably the real reason to play it. The story is fairly rote and really treads alot of the same ground over and over through it's play time.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:33 am Pretty sure I mentioned I'd never played the 2nd game so I've been reading about it.. and to my surprise it apparently is pretty hated by the fan base.. and reading through the plot and about the characters.. I feel like I hate it and haven't even played it. What were they thinking... just everything about it sounds awful.
It's not even that they kill off a favorite character. It's that they take a beloved character and turn him into someone you don't like to make a political point... and then kill him off.

The killing him off part actually kind of comes full circle at the end and makes a really strong point but what they did to the character before he dies is unforgivable.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.