Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
T_J

Re: **Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

Post by T_J »

TrueBlue wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:23 am
weimy froob wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:45 pm

It's incredible that you can almost win 60 games in this league and still get fired because your team can't get over the hump against a team with a guy who is 1 of the top 2 best players to ever play the game.
getting swept with home court advantage while the pacers took them to 7 games negates a lot of the regular season success. i still think that there's more to the story though. casey came out on the wrong end of a power struggle with management on the future of the team imo.
While that’s true, they are like 2 plays from being 2-2 instead of 0-4.

That’s not enough to fire him IMO
Making a change just to make a change. A different coach isn't going to take that roster any farther. They shouldn't have gotten swept, but they weren't gonna win that series regardless. They'd never say it but it's probably a thing where changing the coach helps them retain season ticket holders.
Last edited by T_J on Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm ambivalent about it. do think there's still room in the nba for crafty guys - and there's plenty of examples of players who make that work. that's jokic's bread and butter, for example, and he's a pretty effing good nba player.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so... nick collison just retired. i know he didn't get much PT, but unless i'm wrong - doesn't that leave OKC with just adams and seldom used dakari johnson at C? maybe patrick patterson for some small ball? wondering if there's any opportunities to move gorgui there - for example, if OKC also has an ample contract for a seldom used player that they'd like to move - someone who might fit better with our needs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:41 am so... nick collison just retired. i know he didn't get much PT, but unless i'm wrong - doesn't that leave OKC with just adams and seldom used dakari johnson at C? maybe patrick patterson for some small ball? wondering if there's any opportunities to move gorgui there - for example, if OKC also has an ample contract for a seldom used player that they'd like to move - someone who might fit better with our needs.
I dont think they are looking to replace the 75 minutes Collison played last season with a player making over $15 million.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, my question for OKC (and for you mlhouse, who probably didn't read my entire post) is who's going to play center for them if adams goes down with an injury? dakari johnson? btw, they also have two picks in this year's draft, but both are in the second round. which at 53 and 57 are in the territory that you believe to be next to useless. like it or not, OKC could use a player like gorgui.

of course i know that dieng makes 15 mil. my question was - do they have any players on their roster with laarge contracts that they'd rather get rid of for something that they'd use more? like gorgui.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

They'd move Melo in a heartbeat.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

one year rental? i'm not a carmelo fan, but if we could swing something like that just to be done with gorgui's money - oh yeah.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm one year rental? i'm not a carmelo fan, but if we could swing something like that just to be done with gorgui's money - oh yeah.
Honestly, I do it just get off Gorgui's money. Then not play Melo at all!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Does he still have a no-trade clause? OKC must want to barf with him opting in.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

maybe i'm not seeing it right - and patrick patterson can play the 5 in today's nba, but at 6-9 232, he's even kind of smallish for a PF. (i think belly's bigger than that.) so behind adams, that leaves dakari johnson with all of 161 minutes of nba experience. i'm not implying that they're interested in gorgui - but they have to be interested in adding some kind of viable center to that squad - and they aren't going to find him in the draft with only two late 2nd rounders on their slate.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Dieng/Wiggins for Melo/Patterson? Sign me up!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Noah to Minnesota confirmed.

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm Noah to Minnesota confirmed.

?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm Noah to Minnesota confirmed.

?
Don't overthink it.

EDIT.. oops, looks like probasketball talk deleted their tweet. It was about Noah getting bought out/amnestied by the Knicks.
Last edited by HeHateMe on Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

What?
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

The tweet said Noah will be a FA sept. 1st. After thibs has a horrible off season he will sign rose and Noah roughly sept 2nd cuz nobody wants to play for thibs except past their prime former bulls.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I want to smoke a blunt with Joakim Noah. This is an important step in making that happen.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
T_J

Post by T_J »

Isaiah Thomas is a FA this summer, right?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

let's add an even smaller PG to our roster. because you can never have enough small.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

T_J wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 pm Isaiah Thomas is a FA this summer, right?
Yep....he'll go to the highest bidder. I expect him to be low balled beyond his belief, and I would assume even if we had money, he would not be on Thibs radar. Noah at the vet min is not a bad add....his body is pretty shot, but if he's makes half of what Aldrich does, that's not a bad deal at all. NY are the morons that paid him 17-18 per, if you get him at fraction, both he and Rose can play bench roles. Dieng will ultimately be the piece that is most crucial to getting some extra flexibility or balance to our roster. I personally hate the guy, but even coming from me, he did improve every season until this one....and that's because he was pushed from the starting line up by a better defensive player. I think teams have enough tape on him to know he's serviceable and he can produce when giving a steady workload.....but with KAT as the big dog, Patton in the wings, and a guy who is simply too good defensively in Taj, it does hurt his chances of getting good consistent burn. I do think places like Dallas and Chicago would have use for someone like Dieng given their cap and lack of bigs.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Good god, how would you like to have to eat $37.825 million on Noah for the next two season, after paying him $655,943 per game or $32,952 per minute on the court, the previous two. Whoever thought he shoudl get a $72 million contract should not have a job and should never again have a job in the NBA.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am Good god, how would you like to have to eat $37.825 million on Noah for the next two season, after paying him $655,943 per game or $32,952 per minute on the court, the previous two. Whoever thought he shoudl get a $72 million contract should not have a job and should never again have a job in the NBA.
cough......... Phil Jackson.........
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am Good god, how would you like to have to eat $37.825 million on Noah for the next two season, after paying him $655,943 per game or $32,952 per minute on the court, the previous two. Whoever thought he shoudl get a $72 million contract should not have a job and should never again have a job in the NBA.
cough......... Phil Jackson.........
Proves that past results do not mean future ones.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Phil Jackson is a joke and always has been.

I think he was the one that called up the play where Jordan pushes off on Craig Ehlo however so he did a good job there.
T_J

Post by T_J »

The grizz gonna make (another) last stand with Gasol and Conley? Trading their pick would be idiotic. They should be trying to get more picks.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/277 ... erall-pick
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

T_J wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am The grizz gonna make (another) last stand with Gasol and Conley? Trading their pick would be idiotic. They should be trying to get more picks.

Wiggins for #4
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

mglviks wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am
T_J wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am The grizz gonna make (another) last stand with Gasol and Conley? Trading their pick would be idiotic. They should be trying to get more picks.

Wiggins for #4
I would gladly do it. Give me Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, or Bamba and even Porter and I'd be amped. No way in hell the Grizzlies would do that though. They finally have a top pick, they need to embrace the decline of their aging star and accept a building for the future.
Mnsportsfan22

Post by Mnsportsfan22 »

mglviks wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am

Wiggins for #4
It's a no brainer
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think the only way the grizz do that is if the trade expands to include another serviceable piece of ours AND we agree to take back some aging/infirm player of theirs on a bad contract. teague (or taj or patton) and wiggins for their first and parsons. now we get way more into meh territory.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Would you trade Teague and Wiggins for Conley McLemore and the #4 ( or swap firsts)? The griz get two healthy players - a talent in Wiggins that won’t come via free agency and an upgrade from McLemore. The Wolves roll the dice on Conley’s health, give McLemore a change of scenery, and a potential star in the #4 to backfill Wiggins and sooner cap flexibility