Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

A Case For Nix

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
somuchyummy

Re: A Case For Nix

Post by somuchyummy »

CBS has a mock out today having us get Quinyon Mitchell at 11 - and then trading back to 28 from 23 - and then trading back again from 28 to 32 - and at 32 we take Nix. They didn't lay out what picks we get back in both of these trades - but this is a scenario that doesn't make me want to jab pencils into my eyes.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:50 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:41 am Betting odds favor Nix going to the Broncos. :thinking:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... aft-bo-nix
They must be idiots! He should be a 4th round pick! He’s Christian Ponder 2.0. At best Jeff Garcia. :roll:

I’d bet money Nix is drafted ahead of Penix and I won’t be surprised one bit if he goes ahead of McCarthy.
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... selections

What is the league thinking when they won’t invite him to the stage, so the Broncos can take him at 12. It’s almost like they believe he’ll go day 2
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:14 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:41 am Betting odds favor Nix going to the Broncos. :thinking:

They must be idiots! He should be a 4th round pick! He’s Christian Ponder 2.0. At best Jeff Garcia. :roll:

I’d bet money Nix is drafted ahead of Penix and I won’t be surprised one bit if he goes ahead of McCarthy.

What is the league thinking when they won’t invite him to the stage, so the Broncos can take him at 12. It’s almost like they believe he’ll go day 2
So what… the league invited Will Levis last year. Where did he go? Are you suggesting the league is never wrong?

You think me saying Nix is worthy of a 1st round pick means I think he’s the best guy or something. I’ve been clear on here that I think Williams, Maye, and Daniels are superior. I just would rather take him over the others. That’s all I’m saying.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:26 am CBS has a mock out today having us get Quinyon Mitchell at 11 - and then trading back to 28 from 23 - and then trading back again from 28 to 32 - and at 32 we take Nix. They didn't lay out what picks we get back in both of these trades - but this is a scenario that doesn't make me want to jab pencils into my eyes.
That would be an indication that they don’t think that highly of Nix and settled for him.

I don’t want us to settle for a QB.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

IF Bo Nix is the best QB we can draft, I am sticking with Sam Darnold and using the picks on the BPA in the draft.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:36 am IF Bo Nix is the best QB we can draft, I am sticking with Sam Darnold and using the picks on the BPA in the draft.
Word
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

I took Nix at 12 because we can’t trade in froob mock. My belief is that Denver will trade down to draft Nix and try to acquire more picks due to the Wilson trade as well. He’ll probably go first round but it won’t be in the top 15.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:47 am I took Nix at 12 because we can’t trade in froob mock. My belief is that Denver will trade down to draft Nix and try to acquire more picks due to the Wilson trade as well. He’ll probably go first round but it won’t be in the top 15.
That would make sense if that is who you are going to select.

I think Bo could be a good backup QB in the NFL but he is a "bailer" who throws off a step back too many times to be effective in the NFL. I really think Sam Darnold we have seen in the league is his upside.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I don't think the league has insider knowledge of who teams will select. They just have a general idea and roll with it. He could be drafted anywhere really. My point was more about trusting Vegas over the sports "experts" clowns.
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

He’s almost 25

Nope
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:19 am

I don't think the league has insider knowledge of who teams will select. They just have a general idea and roll with it. He could be drafted anywhere really. My point was more about trusting Vegas over the sports "experts" clowns.
Vegas is not betting against reality. They’re bettering against the average better’s perception of reality.

- Isaac Asimov
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:36 am IF Bo Nix is the best QB we can draft, I am sticking with Sam Darnold and using the picks on the BPA in the draft.
What if you are wrong?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:15 pm
What if you are wrong?
Then I am wrong. Chuck Noll had probably the greatest draft with the Steelers draft in 1974: Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster. Four hall of famers in five rounds (amazingly two HOF wide receivers). From 1969 through 1974 he drafted 9 HOF players.

Go look at some of the other picks he made of "non" HOF players: in 1969 when he too Mean Joe Greene #1, he drafted LC Greenwood in the 10th round and John Kolb in the 3rd. In 1970, Terry Bradshaw was first overall and HOF, but he got Mel Blount HOF in the 3rd. In 1971, Jack HAm in the 2nd was his HOF pick, but he took Dwight White in the 4th, Larry Brown in the 5th, and Mike WAgnerin the 11th, and Ernie Holmes in the 8th.

And so on..... but even Chuck Noll was wrong sometimes. It is life under uncertainty.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

What if you are wrong?
I often disagree with mlhouse, but so what? Everyone who’s ever done this, be it recreationally or professionally, gets it wrong at least sometimes.

If you're a fan, an enjoy your wins and accept your losses. None of them matter anyway. If you’re an actual exec, I don’t believe you can let fear of being wrong affect your decision-making process. Don’t draft scared.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:57 pm
What if you are wrong?
I often disagree with mlhouse, but so what? Everyone who’s ever done this, be it recreationally or professionally, gets it wrong at least sometimes.

If you're a fan, an enjoy your wins and accept your losses. None of them matter anyway. If you’re an actual exec, I don’t believe you can let fear of being wrong affect your decision-making process. Don’t draft scared.
You will be wrong. Or fate might deal you a bad hand. Was Shariff Floyd a bad first round pick?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:01 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:57 pm

What if you are wrong?

You will be wrong. Or fate might deal you a bad hand. Was Shariff Floyd a bad first round pick?
Right. Hindsight, sure. Bad pick. But based on information available at the time, no. Good pick. That’s how you have to evaluate decision-making.

Or, an even more extreme example from a different sport: Len Bias.

- Isaac Asimov
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:31 pm
What if you are wrong?
Then I am wrong. Chuck Noll had probably the greatest draft with the Steelers draft in 1974: Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster. Four hall of famers in five rounds (amazingly two HOF wide receivers). From 1969 through 1974 he drafted 9 HOF players.

Go look at some of the other picks he made of "non" HOF players: in 1969 when he too Mean Joe Greene #1, he drafted LC Greenwood in the 10th round and John Kolb in the 3rd. In 1970, Terry Bradshaw was first overall and HOF, but he got Mel Blount HOF in the 3rd. In 1971, Jack HAm in the 2nd was his HOF pick, but he took Dwight White in the 4th, Larry Brown in the 5th, and Mike WAgnerin the 11th, and Ernie Holmes in the 8th.

And so on..... but even Chuck Noll was wrong sometimes. It is life under uncertainty.
Lynn Swann not a hof imo. Only reason he is cuz he was a steeler and made some iconic catches. At least 10 maybe 20 wr are more deserving than him. Nice to see that you admit you could be wrong
witljon

Post by witljon »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 am I will never understand the hate in this group for Bo Nix. I’m probably his biggest supporter on this forum.
You will understand much better once he’s in the pros.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:00 am

What if you are wrong?

Lynn Swann not a hof imo. Only reason he is cuz he was a steeler and made some iconic catches. At least 10 maybe 20 wr are more deserving than him. Nice to see that you admit you could be wrong
Guess what Obi, you can be wrong too. Isnt that a wonderful world. Even Chuck Noll was wrong on many draft picks.

With respect to Lynn Swann and the HOF, I think you could make that claim on several of the Steeler players. Terry Bradshaw only made one All-Pro list in his career. But you also have to "Bill James" the statistics across eras. THink the argument I have about the quality of these era teams being more equal to HS football of today. Terry Bradshaw had 5.4% of his passes intercepted in his one MVP year, 1978 and had over 5% INT rate for his career. That is Nick Mullens in 2023, but the MVP in 1978. Quarterbacks in those days simply were not as good as modern era QBs.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:18 am

Guess what Obi, you can be wrong too. Isnt that a wonderful world. Even Chuck Noll was wrong on many draft picks.

With respect to Lynn Swann and the HOF, I think you could make that claim on several of the Steeler players. Terry Bradshaw only made one All-Pro list in his career. But you also have to "Bill James" the statistics across eras. THink the argument I have about the quality of these era teams being more equal to HS football of today. Terry Bradshaw had 5.4% of his passes intercepted in his one MVP year, 1978 and had over 5% INT rate for his career. That is Nick Mullens in 2023, but the MVP in 1978. Quarterbacks in those days simply were not as good as modern era QBs.
That’s a good answer.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:03 pm

That’s a good answer.
To make it clear though: if Terry Bradshaw was playing in the modern world of football he would be one of the best QBs in the NFL. He just would be so much better in every aspect of the game. Lynn Swan would have 100+ catches like Stefan Diggs.

Compared to modern football, the players of that era were smaller, weaker, slower, and played with terrible techniques in all facets of the game. Watch a NFL receiver like Ahmad Rashad catch teh football back in the day. They didn't use their hands the same way modern receivers do and let it get more into their body.

Where will the next "break through" in football come from? I think there is going to be a major change in how defensive backs play.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I get the era differences but Lynn Swann career stats were not even great for his era. NFL films, celebrity and the SBs made him famous. I guess it is the hall of fame not the hall of stats
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:18 pm

I get the era differences but Lynn Swann career stats were not even great for his era. NFL films, celebrity and the SBs made him famous. I guess it is the hall of fame not the hall of stats
Perhaps, but in many ways Lynn Swann was the best wide receiver in the league. If you want to hold it against him, hold this. The Vikings really wanted Swann in the 1974 draft. They had two first round picks, #17 from Atlanta for trading Bobby Lee to the Falcons, and #25. With the first they selected Fred McNeill out of UCLA who was a good selection. But the Steelers took Swann at 21 foiling us. The Vikings compounded the error by taking a wide receiver from Tennessee St named John Holland who only lasted one year with the team before he was waived.

The Vikings redeemed themselves by drafting Matt Blair from Iowa St late in the second and then a little later finally finding that wide receiver in Sammy White in the late 2nd in 1976 and completing a trade for Ahmad Rashad that same year for a 4th round pick. (Lots of people think that Rashad was traded for Bob Lurtsema, including Bob Lurtsema himself. But Lurtsema was waived to make room for Rashad and Seattle, which was a new NFL franchise was at the top of the waiver wire)
salamander

Post by salamander »

The ONLY way I want the Vikings drafting Nix is if he drops multiple rounds and we snag him as a developmental guy who will be sitting for multiple years. This would also mean he'd be the 2nd QB we draft. Maybe he develops nicely and has a handful of good games if our QB1 gets injured and in 3 years your can turn him into a 3rd or something?

(I'm talking deep into the draft. Deeper than you're thinking while reading this and far deeper than he'll actually drop.)

I used to like him a little but the more I've seen the less I like. It's weird because he's putting up better stats lately but I'm seeing more of him and liking him less.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Bo Nix won't sit for multiple years. Someone is gonna try him, maybe this coming season.

He's got a lot of football under his belt. His development is well underway with his experience. Anyone could use a year to get acquainted but Bo is ready to sink or swim. Same with Penix and Daniels, they all got loads of experience.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am Bo Nix won't sit for multiple years. Someone is gonna try him, maybe this coming season.

He's got a lot of football under his belt. His development is well underway with his experience. Anyone could use a year to get acquainted but Bo is ready to sink or swim. Same with Penix and Daniels, they all got loads of experience.
How much more development does a 24 year old need?
D_H

Post by D_H »

“One thing on Nix: He’s as accurate as they come, having just set the FBS record this past season with a completion percentage of 77.45. Smart processor, too. These are things that will be very highly valued by offensive coaches and QB gurus. That’s Kevin O’Connell. That’s Sean Payton. I could see Nix playing for either of those men.”

Peter Schrager in his 2024 NFL mock draft on Bo Nix to the Minnesota Vikings

I know Fran Tarkenton loves him. That means something to me when a Hall of quarterback can vouch for you. 👍
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 am Bo Nix won't sit for multiple years. Someone is gonna try him, maybe this coming season.

How much more development does a 24 year old need?
Well he still hasn't played a down in the league and most of great QB's are always trying to get better. So does it ever end?

He's just much more experienced by 2 or 3 years over some of the other QB's. Being he has so much experience he's probably better off playing sooner than say Maye or McCarthy.

Then maybe not... QB's are hard as hell to guage sometimes.

If the Vikings took Nix I would probably go ahead and let him battle it out to start because of his experience. Where as some guys you just want them to sit that first season.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Nix needs a ton of development. Physically, he is what he is, probably. But he’s done the gimmicky “check with the sideline” offense at Oregon that doesn’t exist in the NFL. He will have to learn to do without that. And, like Penix, he’s operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun. That’s another learning curve for him in the NFL. And this says nothing about the offensive concepts he worked with and the windows he threw into at Oregon vs the windows he’ll see in the NFL. That’s a lot of changes to his game he’ll have to master simultaneously as he makes the jump.

People expecting him to be some kind of pro-ready plug and play guy are going to be disappointed. His mobility will give him a chance early in his career, but he’s got to learn a lot of things to be successful as a passer.

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Then they basically all do, the only one that took snaps under center was McCarthy. I'd like him to sit but who knows he might be good right away on a solid team.

It's always hard to tell, some guys are just ready and it's not too big for them and pick up things quickly.

And as far as Oregon's offense goes it didn't slow down Herbert. Way to many unknowns to be certain about who is or isn't ready. It's really hard to project. You just hope you get it right.