Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

A Case For Nix

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

A Case For Nix

Post by Small Hands »

I will never understand the hate in this group for Bo Nix. I’m probably his biggest supporter on this forum. The guy matured as a QB in his last two years of college. He has probably the quickest release in this draft class, and although he thrived more in that RPO offense that Oregon runs mainly, he can make all the throws. I think he is being coveted far more by NFL GMs than people in here think and I think it’s very possible he is the 3rd or 4th QB taken in this year’s draft. I think he is going to be a stud. Good head on his shoulders too. His dad is a football coach. A lot to like about the kid.

I completely understand Oregon threw a lot of screen passes, but his elite accuracy was still at 79% when you take away his screen passes. He’s deadly accurate. Probably the most accurate in this draft, and even though he wasn’t asked to throw deep a ton, he still was extremely effective when asked to do so.

My concern with him are he doesn’t have elite arm strength. He’s not going to be able to hit tight windows off his back leg if he needs to. Although he does have the distance on his throws, it doesn’t have the zip that the other top 6 have in this QB class. That means he will need to be dead on with his timing.

He has probably the highest floor of the whole group. I think he will be an effective QB in the right situation. I don’t think his ceiling is as high as the top 3, but if we are sitting tight at 11, I’d waaay rather go after him than McCarthy or Penis.
Norn_Iron

Re: A Case For Nix

Post by Norn_Iron »

Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Norn_Iron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:44 am Image
Well played
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I am pretty sure that his wife will only allow him to play for Seattle or Denver.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

It's the unknown with him since RPO is all we've seen. I trust KOC and company tested him well though. IF they wind up picking him its because he showed much much more than what he was asked to do in that offense. But you still cant simulate actual games in a NFL offense during that visit.

You could say the same thing with people who dont like JJ - there's an unknown factor since he was never asked to do as much as other QBs in the top tier.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:48 am It's the unknown with him since RPO is all we've seen. I trust KOC and company tested him well though. IF they wind up picking him its because he showed much much more than what he was asked to do in that offense. But you still cant simulate actual games in a NFL offense during that visit.

You could say the same thing with people who dont like JJ - there's an unknown factor since he was never asked to do as much as other QBs in the top tier.
You have a much larger sample size of pro style tape from Nix than you do JJ. It’s not even close. Yes, the RPO issue is there, but a lot of RPO QBs in college thrive in the NFL.

I want to be clear here… I’d take the big three in Daniels, Maye, or Caleb over him. I just think he’s the best of the rest.
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

I would like this if it's at 23, not necessarily 11. I don't like the idea of trading up very much though I get the desire to take a chance. It seems pretty likely we aren't going to have a pro bowl QB and our record could suffer. That puts us higher in next years draft but we get some skill at 11 this year to add. Maybe Sanders or whatever. QBs are incredibly tough to evaluate.

Isn't an exciting take for the upcoming season but I also think Nix/Penix or other could be the guy as much as Maye or McCarthy.
-

Got Root?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 am I will never understand the hate in this group for Bo Nix. I’m probably his biggest supporter on this forum. The guy matured as a QB in his last two years of college. He has probably the quickest release in this draft class, and although he thrived more in that RPO offense that Oregon runs mainly, he can make all the throws. I think he is being coveted far more by NFL GMs than people in here think and I think it’s very possible he is the 3rd or 4th QB taken in this year’s draft. I think he is going to be a stud. Good head on his shoulders too. His dad is a football coach. A lot to like about the kid.

I completely understand Oregon threw a lot of screen passes, but his elite accuracy was still at 79% when you take away his screen passes. He’s deadly accurate. Probably the most accurate in this draft, and even though he wasn’t asked to throw deep a ton, he still was extremely effective when asked to do so.

My concern with him are he doesn’t have elite arm strength. He’s not going to be able to hit tight windows off his back leg if he needs to. Although he does have the distance on his throws, it doesn’t have the zip that the other top 6 have in this QB class. That means he will need to be dead on with his timing.

He has probably the highest floor of the whole group. I think he will be an effective QB in the right situation. I don’t think his ceiling is as high as the top 3, but if we are sitting tight at 11, I’d waaay rather go after him than McCarthy or Penis.
With the points you are making we'd be better off trading up for one of the top guys. Our coach sucked with Dobbs, who Mlhouse and others suggested would be great in an RPO. Taking an RPO quarterback for KOC's offense doesn't seem advisable. KOC throws more than any coach in the NFL in some graphs I've come across. Most of the passes are timing patterns and we need a guy who can throw into a close window. Even though KOC uses the Shannahan offense, which is a hybrid of the ol' WCO, he likes to go deep and middle range more than short. Our screen game since KOC has come here has not been good. We seemed to kind of get better late last season, and maybe it was more Cousins' style than coaching, but that is where Nix might be better than what we have seen.

They love Maye. They don't want to make a Hershel Walker trade though.

McCarthy reminds me of a Case Keenum or maybe a ceiling of Brett Favre. He is more of a guy who thrives in short yardage stuff, but he can sling it up on occasion. I think he'd be better than Teddy, but might struggle with that deep ball the same way. I bet when he comes to the NFL he is too slow to really be a threat with his legs.

How you described Nix would tell me that he is not the type of quarterback that KOC is looking for. McCarthy probably isn't either. Penix's ceiling might be Kirk Cousins at the very best, but Bradford at the very least. Daniels would be nice to have drop to us, but I won't hold my breath.

They all have flaws outside of Williams. Daniels would be next, but the rest will need a lot of work.

But what do I know?

Didn't our staff skip Nix's pro day?
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:26 am

Didn't our staff skip Nix's pro day?
MN has been very scant at all the pro days instead choosing to have private workouts. Everyone except Daniels so far. Nix had a private workout
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am I would like this if it's at 23, not necessarily 11. I don't like the idea of trading up very much though I get the desire to take a chance. It seems pretty likely we aren't going to have a pro bowl QB and our record could suffer. That puts us higher in next years draft but we get some skill at 11 this year to add. Maybe Sanders or whatever. QBs are incredibly tough to evaluate.

Isn't an exciting take for the upcoming season but I also think Nix/Penix or other could be the guy as much as Maye or McCarthy.
The Texas QB could be good too in 2025
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

I like his "feel" in the pocket and his ability to make a play when things break down. He's really good about not taking sacks. I also think he's very smart and would pick up KOC's offense rather quickly. Playing in the Pac12, reading defenses probably wasn't' that difficult, but it seems his pre-snap reads where on point from everything I've read on this class of QBs.

There is a significant difference between Nix, and lets say, Penix, when it comes to arm strength. I wouldn't say it's a weakness, but it's something to consider. I hope he's the Vikings Plan B if JJ/Maye are unattainable, even over Penix IMO>
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:03 am
minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:48 am It's the unknown with him since RPO is all we've seen. I trust KOC and company tested him well though. IF they wind up picking him its because he showed much much more than what he was asked to do in that offense. But you still cant simulate actual games in a NFL offense during that visit.

You have a much larger sample size of pro style tape from Nix than you do JJ.
No you don't. Plus if you factor in the level of competition, it becomes even less so.

AS I have said before, to me the two biggest things to think about Nix is the beginning of his career and the end of his career. I will even add the caveat that perhaps I am over emphasizing both. But, when Bo Nix started his career at Auburn in the SEC he wasn't a freaking 70% passer, he was a sub-60% passer with a yards/attempt less than 7.0 for his three year SEC tenure. He transfers to the PAC-12, and what you call "growth" I call playing a spread offense against lesser competition.

Then, to end his career he goes down to Mobile for the Senior Bowl and relative to the player you are talking up and again against higher level, select competition and NFL rules and playstyle, he stinks it up and was struggling to hit the broad side of a barn. Most report that he "improved" during the week but he started from rock bottom, Nix wasn't the best QB in the group (Spencer Rattler was the "MVP" of a 16-7 game), and didn't standout in a group of QBs that included mostly mid-level NFL draft prospects.

When you look at Oregon's offense, here is something that should give you pause. If you look at all of the Ducks' receiver rotation, the biggest one is 180 lbs. Their tight end is 230 lbs. And their mainstay RB is 190. THey are all good, fast, and quick. Troy Franklin (174) has a chance to be a first round pick. Tex Johnson (160) might even be a better receiver than Franklin. Bucky Irving (190) caught 56 passes out of the backfield. This is a speed offense designed to run these quick little receivers open in a wide field using lots of screens and other behind the LOS devices to force the defense to cover the entire vertical plane of the field.

You have to give Bo credit because he hit on almost 80% of his pass attempts (77.4%). But so did the backup QB Ty Thompson (77.4%) with almost the same aggregate statistics but obviously a smaller sample size (31 pass attempts, essentially one full game).

The Auburn Bo Nix was a guy who wasn't going to be drafted in the NFL and would be a long shot at best to make a NFL roster. The Senior Bowl Bo Nix is a guy who at best would be drafted in the same draft range as Michael Pratt. IN between he threw to a bunch of waterbugs on the field whom NCAA Pac-12 defenses could not cover. Throwing into gaping windows, of course Nix was a more confident thrower and he has adequate arm and mobility to be a solid college QB.

The Bo Nix comp I would use is Baker Mayfield. Similar builds. Similar college careers and stats. But that is an upside comp. Could Bo Nix reach that comp level? To me the answer comes from one factor. For the most part NIx's throwing mechanics are pretty sound. But too often, even without pressure, Nix bails on his drop with a backward hitch step. This mostly happens under pressure, but it also happens under light or no pressure from time to time. YOu can throw into Pac-12 windos with a back hitch, but not NFL. This has to be corrected, but it isn't a muscle memory mechanic, it is a reaction so it is harder to fix.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 am

No you don't. Plus if you factor in the level of competition, it becomes even less so.

AS I have said before, to me the two biggest things to think about Nix is the beginning of his career and the end of his career. I will even add the caveat that perhaps I am over emphasizing both. But, when Bo Nix started his career at Auburn in the SEC he wasn't a freaking 70% passer, he was a sub-60% passer with a yards/attempt less than 7.0 for his three year SEC tenure. He transfers to the PAC-12, and what you call "growth" I call playing a spread offense against lesser competition.

Then, to end his career he goes down to Mobile for the Senior Bowl and relative to the player you are talking up and again against higher level, select competition and NFL rules and playstyle, he stinks it up and was struggling to hit the broad side of a barn. Most report that he "improved" during the week but he started from rock bottom, Nix wasn't the best QB in the group (Spencer Rattler was the "MVP" of a 16-7 game), and didn't standout in a group of QBs that included mostly mid-level NFL draft prospects.

When you look at Oregon's offense, here is something that should give you pause. If you look at all of the Ducks' receiver rotation, the biggest one is 180 lbs. Their tight end is 230 lbs. And their mainstay RB is 190. THey are all good, fast, and quick. Troy Franklin (174) has a chance to be a first round pick. Tex Johnson (160) might even be a better receiver than Franklin. Bucky Irving (190) caught 56 passes out of the backfield. This is a speed offense designed to run these quick little receivers open in a wide field using lots of screens and other behind the LOS devices to force the defense to cover the entire vertical plane of the field.

You have to give Bo credit because he hit on almost 80% of his pass attempts (77.4%). But so did the backup QB Ty Thompson (77.4%) with almost the same aggregate statistics but obviously a smaller sample size (31 pass attempts, essentially one full game).

The Auburn Bo Nix was a guy who wasn't going to be drafted in the NFL and would be a long shot at best to make a NFL roster. The Senior Bowl Bo Nix is a guy who at best would be drafted in the same draft range as Michael Pratt. IN between he threw to a bunch of waterbugs on the field whom NCAA Pac-12 defenses could not cover. Throwing into gaping windows, of course Nix was a more confident thrower and he has adequate arm and mobility to be a solid college QB.

The Bo Nix comp I would use is Baker Mayfield. Similar builds. Similar college careers and stats. But that is an upside comp. Could Bo Nix reach that comp level? To me the answer comes from one factor. For the most part NIx's throwing mechanics are pretty sound. But too often, even without pressure, Nix bails on his drop with a backward hitch step. This mostly happens under pressure, but it also happens under light or no pressure from time to time. YOu can throw into Pac-12 windos with a back hitch, but not NFL. This has to be corrected, but it isn't a muscle memory mechanic, it is a reaction so it is harder to fix.
What is your rank for all the quarterbacks again? Can you base the rankings based on their ability to play with KOC and the Vikings' offense?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:37 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 am

What is your rank for all the quarterbacks again? Can you base the rankings based on their ability to play with KOC and the Vikings' offense?
1. Williams one of the best QB prospects in recent history in the draft especially when you consider it from an owner's perspective
2. Daniels The Lamar Jackson comp is something every NFL offensive coordinator should be drooling over
3. JJ McCarthy Pro style QB with the best arm talent in the draft and superior mobility.
4. Drake Maye Prototypical QB with all of the arm talent but needs to work on his consistency
5. Michael Penix Effective college QB who can drop the ball in, but unorthodox mechanics pushes him to lower level
6, Bo Nix Great college spread offense guy who can make throws and move.
7, Spencer Rattler Solid guy with good arm, but bails under pressure and I think he is a douche (watch Netflix QB1 documentary).

Williams, Daniels, McCarthy and Maye are all top 10 picks. Penix could be a first round guy and there might even be coaches and scouts that love him higher. Nix and Rattler I don't even have on my draft board because they are second tier QBs in my evaluation.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 am
Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am I would like this if it's at 23, not necessarily 11. I don't like the idea of trading up very much though I get the desire to take a chance. It seems pretty likely we aren't going to have a pro bowl QB and our record could suffer. That puts us higher in next years draft but we get some skill at 11 this year to add. Maybe Sanders or whatever. QBs are incredibly tough to evaluate.

Ewers might edge out Nix for QB6 if he was in this draft. Maybe not.

But he’ll probably go top-10 due to the fact that he’s a quarterback in a weak class.

That’s why we really ought to draft one this year.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 am

But he’ll probably go top-10 due to the fact that he’s a quarterback in a weak class.

I think Nix goes to Denver at 12. Maybe earlier. I think he goes before Penix and possibly McCarthy.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am

I think Nix goes to Denver at 12. Maybe earlier. I think he goes before Penix and possibly McCarthy.
If a NFL team drafts Bo Nix ahead of McCarthy they are morons.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:45 am

I appreciate you calling me a moron, but I will enjoy it quite a bit when you are wrong. I’m not an expert. Neither are you btw… but I see a kid that is very accurate. Reminds me of Tua with his timing routes. He’s mobile, had a lot of reps, good character, etc… there is a lot to like about him. There is a reason he is being discussed as a 1st round pick.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:52 am

I appreciate you calling me a moron, but I will enjoy it quite a bit when you are wrong. I’m not an expert. Neither are you btw… but I see a kid that is very accurate. Reminds me of Tua with his timing routes. He’s mobile, had a lot of reps, good character, etc… there is a lot to like about him. There is a reason he is being discussed as a 1st round pick.
Are you a NFL team?

I think there is a lot to like about Bo Nix. But I do not see NFL franchise QB anywhere. If he stays at Auburn and plays in a more competitive conference, Bo Nix would be rated "7th round - UDFA" as draft value.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:58 am

Are you a NFL team?

I think there is a lot to like about Bo Nix. But I do not see NFL franchise QB anywhere. If he stays at Auburn and plays in a more competitive conference, Bo Nix would be rated "7th round - UDFA" as draft value.
So are you saying he is the next Brock Purdy? :lol:

Thanks for ranking them out. I am surprised that you have McCarthy over Maye. I kind of agree though. My fear with Maye is that he regressed after a great season and his deep balls seem to sail. McCarthy was on a top team and won a lot. He did what was asked of him. I know in the article from the DC of the Gophers he put Maye as the better passer, but he also said Maye had the better arm and seemed more like an NFL quarterback.

Maybe it is Ponder who is haunting my love of McCarthy, but Ponder was way overvalued in a crappy QB draft.

Bo Nix seems like a project just like Penix. I chose Rattler for the Giants in Round 2, but he is also rising in the mocks.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 pm

Are you a NFL team?

Thanks for ranking them out. I am surprised that you have McCarthy over Maye. I kind of agree though. My fear with Maye is that he regressed after a great season and his deep balls seem to sail. McCarthy was on a top team and won a lot. He did what was asked of him. I know in the article from the DC of the Gophers he put Maye as the better passer, but he also said Maye had the better arm and seemed more like an NFL quarterback.

Maybe it is Ponder who is haunting my love of McCarthy, but Ponder was way overvalued in a crappy QB draft.

Bo Nix seems like a project just like Penix. I chose Rattler for the Giants in Round 2, but he is also rising in the mocks.
I have McCarthy and Maye very close, but the inconsistency Maye showed in 2023 really puts McCarthy over him. I also believe that McCarthy is significantly more mobile than Maye. Maye has a bit more height and maybe overall a stronger arm, but McCarthy is the better thrower and I believe has the best arm talent in the draft, even more than Williams and Daniels. But those guys are at teh top of the ranking because of their overall play making, not isolated QB play.

Personally, while every prospect QB has their issues, 99% of the McCarthy criticism is from people who have not analyzed his play. Oh, they watch the Michigan games, all 15 wins, but they don't watcth the throws in isolation. If you do that, then you will have him near the top of the draft too. This is what is happening with all of the online "draft experts". Weeks after I put McCarthy near the top of the draft they are finally catching up.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

If you discredit Nix, you obviously don’t understand the game.

The kid can spin it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:35 pm
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 pm

Are you a NFL team?

I have McCarthy and Maye very close, but the inconsistency Maye showed in 2023 really puts McCarthy over him. I also believe that McCarthy is significantly more mobile than Maye. Maye has a bit more height and maybe overall a stronger arm, but McCarthy is the better thrower and I believe has the best arm talent in the draft, even more than Williams and Daniels. But those guys are at teh top of the ranking because of their overall play making, not isolated QB play.

Personally, while every prospect QB has their issues, 99% of the McCarthy criticism is from people who have not analyzed his play. Oh, they watch the Michigan games, all 15 wins, but they don't watcth the throws in isolation. If you do that, then you will have him near the top of the draft too. This is what is happening with all of the online "draft experts". Weeks after I put McCarthy near the top of the draft they are finally catching up.
i've got maye as an inch taller than mccarthy. JJ is faster/more mobile and throws darts. i see him thriving in the vikings offense whenever they feel he's ready if he's the pick.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:57 pm If you discredit Nix, you obviously don’t understand the game.

The kid can spin it.
Spin what? He didn't at Auburn. He didn't in the Senior Bowl. He has some flaws in his game that are covered up because Oregon plays this wide open football in a wide open conference vs. teams that are not that good. If he plays in the Big Ten, Nix is a 4th round draft pick at best.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Hard pass on Nix.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

They don’t want Bo Picks. They didn’t even send someone out to see at his pro day.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beetlejuice wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:12 pm They don’t want Bo Picks. They didn’t even send someone out to see at his pro day.
They had him in for a private visit
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:04 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:57 pm If you discredit Nix, you obviously don’t understand the game.

The kid can spin it.
Spin what? He didn't at Auburn. He didn't in the Senior Bowl. He has some flaws in his game that are covered up because Oregon plays this wide open football in a wide open conference vs. teams that are not that good. If he plays in the Big Ten, Nix is a 4th round draft pick at best.
Williams plays in the same conference me boi. So does Penis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:37 pm

The kid can spin it.
Williams plays in the same conference me boi. So does Penis
Williams is a playmaker with a comp of Patrick Mahomes that will bring in millions to your franchise because of the hype. Few players have those instincts and he is a no brainer #1 pick and probably the #1 pick in almost every draft going back many years... maybe to Andrew Luck?

Penix and Nix play in the same conference.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

The kid can spin it.

This exactly. Matt Corral and Sam Howell we’re at one time considered to be late 1st rounders and look how it worked out for them. Nix has the same feel but will go higher then he should but it will be 2nd round