Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

QB poll, help me out here...

A place to discuss the MN Vikings

Pick 1

Caleb Williams trade 11, 23, 2025 1, picks and plyer
7%
Jayden Daniels trade 11 ,23, 2025 1+ picks or plyer
No votes
Drake Maye trade 11, 23, 4th
48%
JJ McCarthy trade 11, 23, possibly less
19%
Michael Penix keep 11, draft at 23
19%
Spensor Rattler keep 11, trade back from 23 and add in the 2nd.
7%

Total votes: 27

Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

QB poll, help me out here...

Post by Abe Froman »

Who you guys want? I've always felt Leary of Maye and idk why. JJ was my preference, but then I hear more about Penix and Rattler and now I'm more unsure.... Help me out here. I'm including Williams and Daniels simply because you never know. Please understand if we even had the chance to get them it would probably mean we would have to give up every meaningful pick for the next two months and/or a plus guy like Addison.
I made this!
Small Hands

Re: QB poll, help me out here...

Post by Small Hands »

Either move up for one of the top 3 or Nix and BPA
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 pm Who you guys want? I've always felt Leary of Maye and idk why. JJ was my preference, but then I hear more about Penix and Rattler and now I'm more unsure.... Help me out here. I'm including Williams and Daniels simply because you never know. Please understand if we even had the chance to get them it would probably mean we would have to give up every meaningful pick for the next two months and/or a plus guy like Addison.
Good poll, I'll jump on it shortly. No Nix? :thinking: Think he could be QB 5. It would take more draft capital on some of those trade ups, but I will vote as is. :thumbsup:
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Who created this poll and got two first-round picks is not smart
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:11 pm Who created this poll and got two first-round picks for McCarthy is not smart
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I think plan A is to move up and get a top guy, probably Maye, but I’m not 100% sure.

Plan B is to stay put and take Penix.

I loved Penix all year, so I’m okay with either, but would prefer the move up.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:24 pm I think plan A is to move up and get a top guy, probably Maye, but I’m not 100% sure.

Agree, with this but I don't see you trading any picks for McCarthy
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:36 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:24 pm I think plan A is to move up and get a top guy, probably Maye, but I’m not 100% sure.

:shrug:

I don’t know. I think they only trade up for the guy they like and I think that’s Maye. But I don’t really know. I could be wrong.

But I don’t think they trade up for a guy they don’t really like. That would be stupid. I don’t know what they think of McCarthy. They’re being pretty quiet about it.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

I voted for Caleb Williams
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:39 pm

I would be quiet if I were going to trade my 11th and 23rd picks for McCarthy because I believe that is a decision the owners had the right to fire.

I don’t know. I think they only trade up for the guy they like and I think that’s Maye. But I don’t really know. I could be wrong.

But I don’t think they trade up for a guy they don’t really like. That would be stupid. I don’t know what they think of McCarthy. They’re being pretty quiet about it.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 pm Who you guys want? I've always felt Leary of Maye and idk why. JJ was my preference, but then I hear more about Penix and Rattler and now I'm more unsure.... Help me out here. I'm including Williams and Daniels simply because you never know. Please understand if we even had the chance to get them it would probably mean we would have to give up every meaningful pick for the next two months and/or a plus guy like Addison.
Good poll, I'll jump on it shortly. No Nix? :thinking: Think he could be QB 5. It would take more draft capital on some of those trade ups, but I will vote as is. :thumbsup:
Nix sucks. Lol
I made this!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:39 pm

I think they are only willing to trade up for Maye. If he isn’t there? They stay put with their picks.

I believe the Vikings will draft either Maye or Penix Jr. FUGGIN BOOK IT!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

The only two possible options of those given, is that for Penix and that for Rattler. Williams is not possible. Vikings targets are Maye #1, but it will take #11, #23 and "at least" the 2025 1st to get at #3. McCarthy is target #2. It will take a minimum of #11 and #23 to get him if available at #5. If they need to go to #4, I see them having to pay #11, #23 and likely the 2025 1st round pick. I am not so certain that the Vikings are enamored with Daniels, as he did not play in a pro-style offense, is scrawny, could be RG3 x 2 and it is very possible that his WR's at LSU made him, given both will go 1st round. Penix is intriguing, but he will not do any running in the pros given his injury history and ongoing risk. He has a great arm, but I am waiting for the negative medical eval to be leaked sometime the next couple of weeks. You know that is coming.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:58 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 pm
Nix sucks. Lol
45 Td's, 3 interceptions last year. Tough to blow that off as a fluke. Not saying he's a top 3 option, but could easily see him sneaking into the top 5 drafted Qb's.
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

I'd be okay with JJ, but I rate him lower than the top 3 QBs on the board. The worst case scenario for me is if we get the 5th best QB in the draft at pick 11.
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:43 pm The only two possible options of those given, is that for Penix and that for Rattler. Williams is not possible. Vikings targets are Maye #1, but it will take #11, #23 and "at least" the 2025 1st to get at #3. McCarthy is target #2. It will take a minimum of #11 and #23 to get him if available at #5. If they need to go to #4, I see them having to pay #11, #23 and likely the 2025 1st round pick. I am not so certain that the Vikings are enamored with Daniels, as he did not play in a pro-style offense, is scrawny, could be RG3 x 2 and it is very possible that his WR's at LSU made him, given both will go 1st round. Penix is intriguing, but he will not do any running in the pros given his injury history and ongoing risk. He has a great arm, but I am waiting for the negative medical eval to be leaked sometime the next couple of weeks. You know that is coming.
I took it this poll is not what you think will happen,
but what you prefer to happen.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Not many of the poll options are realistic.

And Penix at 23 is something that I see a lot. Considering how many teams need QBs, if Penix is there at 23, shouldn't that tell you something?

(I mean that everyone is racist)

And where is dong?
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 am Not many of the poll options are realistic.

And Penix at 23 is something that I see a lot. Considering how many teams need QBs, if Penix is there at 23, shouldn't that tell you something?

And where is dong?
Nice bit. Racist as in his throwing mechanics are gross and he's already had multiple surgeries?
"You can tweet that."
Da Gas Man's Ghost

BigInflateable wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:23 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 am Not many of the poll options are realistic.

And where is dong?
Nice bit. Racist as in his throwing mechanics are gross and he's already had multiple surgeries?
The racist comment was a joke obviously.

I just wanted to note that almost everyone has Penix as QB6. By everyone, I mean professional draft projectors.

BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:25 am

And where is dong?

I just wanted to note that almost everyone has Penix as QB6. By everyone, I mean professional draft projectors.
I kind of got a little bit of sarcasm from it. I like Jayden Daniels because of his athleticism and his rocket arm. He probably isn't a good fit for the Vikings offense though. I don't like Penix because of the injuries and the funky assed throwing motion. The National title game performance turned me off too. Of course he didn't have much help and Michigans defense was obliterating Washingtons O line. Both QBs from the PAC 12 give pause. I feel like they spent the season lighting up poor defenses. Although I also don't like the notion of the Vikings spending high end future picks on someone who is a " prospect". It could set the team back for multiple seasons if the kid doesn't pan out. That makes me flip flop back to a feeling of Penix or Nix as a win at 23 while keeping our top picks.
"You can tweet that."
Da Gas Man's Ghost

BigInflateable wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:00 am

I kind of got a little bit of sarcasm from it. I like Jayden Daniels because of his athleticism and his rocket arm. He probably isn't a good fit for the Vikings offense though. I don't like Penix because of the injuries and the funky assed throwing motion. The National title game performance turned me off too. Of course he didn't have much help and Michigans defense was obliterating Washingtons O line. Both QBs from the PAC 12 give pause. I feel like they spent the season lighting up poor defenses. Although I also don't like the notion of the Vikings spending high end future picks on someone who is a " prospect". It could set the team back for multiple seasons if the kid doesn't pan out. That makes me flip flop back to a feeling of Penix or Nix as a win at 23 while keeping our top picks.
After Caleb, who is your QB2?

For me, it's Maye with a bullet. I'm just hoping that Washington doesn't take him.

witljon

Post by witljon »

And where is dong?

I’ve noticed several professional draft projectors
here in Purple Chat.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

There isn’t enough there to make a clear separation from the top 4 and if they all go in the top 5 then I would just see how things go and take Penix. If you can take someone like Nabers at 11 and Penix at 23 that would be major and could give the offense everything they need to win. It would also give leverage and flexibility if JJ plays hardball. Then we would need to spend 3 years building the defense.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If we would take Penix at 23, who wouldn’t Denver take him at 12 or the raiders take him at 13 or New Orleans take him at 14 or Seattle take him at 16 or the Rams take him at 19?

Assuming top 4 go in the top 5, if we want Penix, we should probably take him at 11.

And if we think he’s worth 23, isn’t he worth 11? These are mid-round picks in a draft that is very top-heavy and then flattens out. If we want defense with the other pick, the guy we get at 23 is going to be more or less of the same tier as the guy we would get at 11.

- Isaac Asimov
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:11 am

For me, it's Maye with a bullet. I'm just hoping that Washington doesn't take him.
I have no clue. All I know is what I've read from the "experts". I hear all of these great things about JJ, Maye, Daniels, then the next day someone else is shitting all over the same guys. :lol: I like the size of Maye. I like the potential of JJ and that JJ played in a pro style offense. I don't like that the Vikes may have to offer a ton of draft capital on either one of them. Looks like Maye is their target, so the blind homer in me is convincing myself that if it's Maye then awesome! For the record I threw up a little bit in my mouth when we drafted Teddy.
"You can tweet that."
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

If those teams take him then you take the next guy or wait a year. Darnold or Mullens could have amazing years if they had Nabers, Addison, JJ and Hockenson to throw to.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

BigInflateable wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:55 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:11 am

I have no clue. All I know is what I've read from the "experts". I hear all of these great things about JJ, Maye, Daniels, then the next day someone else is shitting all over the same guys. :lol: I like the size of Maye. I like the potential of JJ and that JJ played in a pro style offense. I don't like that the Vikes may have to offer a ton of draft capital on either one of them. Looks like Maye is their target, so the blind homer in me is convincing myself that if it's Maye then awesome! For the record I threw up a little bit in my mouth when we drafted Teddy.
:thumbsup: :beer: :lol:

Da Gas Man's Ghost

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:55 am If those teams take him then you take the next guy or wait a year. Darnold or Mullens could have amazing years if they had Nabers, Addison, JJ and Hockenson to throw to.
Championship teams build from the inside out. Speilman always built the opposite. Always high priced skill players. WRs and CBs. And that doesn't work. You can have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. If the QBs can't hit them or have time to throw to them, forget it.

PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:32 pm
PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:55 am If those teams take him then you take the next guy or wait a year. Darnold or Mullens could have amazing years if they had Nabers, Addison, JJ and Hockenson to throw to.
Championship teams build from the inside out. Speilman always built the opposite. Always high priced skill players. WRs and CBs. And that doesn't work. You can have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. If the QBs can't hit them or have time to throw to them, forget it.
I’m not seeing Kwesi doing anything different. And building a team doesn’t mean highly drafted players on the line. It just means you need to commit to a particular scheme and find role players to fit in it. That’s why Green Bay has like 3 decades of success. They have run essentially the same type of offense and they have found talent on the OL that fits what they want. And if a player goes down they have a replacement that can step in.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:37 pm
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:32 pm
I’m not seeing Kwesi doing anything different. And building a team doesn’t mean highly drafted players on the line. It just means you need to commit to a particular scheme and find role players to fit in it. That’s why Green Bay has like 3 decades of success. They have run essentially the same type of offense and they have found talent on the OL that fits what they want. And if a player goes down they have a replacement that can step in.
Exactly.
And let's not forget as well that Jerry Rice spent his career playing for a 3rd rd QB (Montana) and then a QB who's previous team considered him a bust (Young.)

If you're a good organization, then there's all kinds of ways that you can build a winner.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis