Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

It’s time to ask yourselves…..

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

It’s time to ask yourselves…..

Post by RubeTube »

Is this team better now with Carl out and Naz in?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Re: It’s time to ask yourselves…..

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm not going there yet. But I do think it would get really interesting if Karl remained out during the playoffs - and we made a really deep run without him. This is a pretty good team.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 pm Is this team better now with Carl out and Naz in?
Its an interesting question. It gives Naz a lot more opportunity, which I do enjoy. Naz Reid can flat out ball. He's very entertaining to watch as he plays so decisively. Makes a move in half a second every time. With whatever he's doing. He's likely a smarter player than Towns.

There are a lot of things Karl can do better than Naz. Things we miss without him in the lineup. Rebounding and just being a stouter inside defensive presence. Having another go to scorer to take heat off of Ant and even Naz is tremendously advantageous.

I think they're better when they have access to both of them.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:29 pm i'm not going there yet. But I do think it would get really interesting if Karl remained out during the playoffs - and we made a really deep run without him. This is a pretty good team.
$12 million for Naz Reid is an absolute steal now. You'd be lucky to sign him for under $25 million if he hit RFA this year. He's a killer.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

The over reaction to start the KAT injury thread shows most won't agree the team is better without KAT.

The inside rebounding is taking a hit, but the overall team play is better. Even guys like Jmac are having a chance to step up and show they can play with extended minutes.

I wouldn't be as concerned if KAT sits most of the playoffs as some here.

However, if KAT sits the first round, and the Wolves get booted, the KAT fans will have the opportunity to say it's cause KAT didn't play.
My body, my choice.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Our ceiling is higher with KAT, period.

The long term future of what is best for the team can be discussed.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Absolutely. Everything is flowing, the ball is moving and the spacing is great. I love KAT, want to have him here but the brass upstairs has to see this and know what needs to be done
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

We are a better team with Kat starting and Naz on the bench. That being said it's not realistic to think Naz is going to be happy being the 6th man when he opts out of his contract after next season. It's also not to say you couldn't trade Kat for a scorer that fits a bit better. I think the Wolves with Kat out could really use another scorer for when Ant and Naz aren't making their shots. Jaden and NAW aren't consistent enough at this point, and we can only ask so much out of Conley and Rudy. Find me the next SGA or Haliburton that isn't getting the minutes on their team and I'll trade Kat for him.
focker

Post by focker »

We're certainly a better team with him in, but this is likely the future of the team IMO. KAT is expensive and getting older and will likely be the odd man out in the next couple years.

I do want him back for the playoffs however. His shooting and rebounding are super important for this team. He's also great to have should Rudy get into foul trouble.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

I agree that we're better with Kat and Naz both healthy.
I enjoy watching Naz play much more than I enjoy watching Kat play.
I think the starting unit flows better offensively with Naz, is as good defensively with Naz, and is slightly weaker in rebounding. Overall a wash.
I think Kat is entering the high injury risk stretch of his career.
I would like to see the Wolves bring Kat off the bench for the playoffs.
I think we will be a better team next season if we trade Kat this summer for an all-star or near all-star 2-way player at another position. I've long wished for a Kat for Dejounte Murray trade. I think that trade may have been available at the trade deadline but may not be available now that Atlanta is winning with DM as their starting PG. If it is, I pray the Wolves brass makes that trade, plays DM as either our starting PG or as a sixth man with Conley playing fewer minutes next year.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

It's time now? It's covered in KAT's value thread going on for awhile!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

We don't have the same ceiling without KAT.

With Kat we can win the championship. Pretty much no chance without.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 am Our ceiling is higher with KAT, period.

I agree at this time. I would love to get him back for a few games before the PO's as I worry about chemistry. I remember when Rudy first got here and Towns was trying to force Rudy the ball. I feel it may be that way when/if Towns comes back.

Going forward we have limited options paying KAT and a trade is probably needed. I just hope that Connelly makes a smart trade and doesn't sell him off for some picks.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:27 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 am Our ceiling is higher with KAT, period.

I agree at this time. I would love to get him back for a few games before the PO's as I worry about chemistry. I remember when Rudy first got here and Towns was trying to force Rudy the ball. I feel it may be that way when/if Towns comes back.

Going forward we have limited options paying KAT and a trade is probably needed. I just hope that Connelly makes a smart trade and doesn't sell him off for some picks.
KAT should be sixth man for a round or two. Don't fuck with the starting chemistry, and if he gets it going, it's who finishes the game that matters.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

The question isn't if we are better without KAT, the question is are we better with what we would get for KAT.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Who can convince KAT to come off the bench.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

PanicWolf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:14 pm Who can convince KAT to come off the bench.
Injury Recovery possibly could talk him into it. He's pretty persuasive.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Connelly HAS to at least see what kind of deal might be out there for KAT....HAS to
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Hornets wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 pm Connelly HAS to at least see what kind of deal might be out there for KAT....HAS to
Has to.. and no salary dump to get under the tax
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 pm Is this team better now with Carl out and Naz in?
The title of this thread is “Its time to ask yourselves”

Is it time to ask yourselves, after a one sided win against a depleted Toronto club on a 15 game losing streak?

I will say our role players have been playing better while Edwards shot has been struggling.
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm The question isn't if we are better without KAT, the question is are we better with what we would get for KAT.
It’s a fair question, but like I said after the Gobert trade,
the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m just pleased the narrative has changed from “addition by subtraction” and “trade him for a bag of deflated basketballs” to a more nuanced take on possible roster construction ideas that could benefit the team. It’s like part of Wolves Chat grew into adulthood this year.

I just hope if a Towns trade is executed, it’s for basketball reasons and not money. If our ownership is too cheap to pay for a good team (Lorre/Arod or Taylor), then fuck it all. It doesn’t matter.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:07 pm I’m just pleased the narrative has changed from “addition by subtraction” and “trade him for a bag of deflated basketballs” to a more nuanced take on possible roster construction ideas that could benefit the team. It’s like part of Wolves Chat grew into adulthood this year.

I just hope if a Towns trade is executed, it’s for basketball reasons and not money. If our ownership is too cheap to pay for a good team (Lorre/Arod or Taylor), then fuck it all. It doesn’t matter.
Hell yeah :beer:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

PanicWolf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:14 pm Who can convince KAT to come off the bench.
fine, I'll do it.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Last year's kat, yes, this year, heck no. Kat can straight up win you games, Naz just isn't there yet, but getting closer.

Such a good problem to have btw.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

We like to pretend we have all the answers. Even if we never quite do. 95% of us were dead wrong about the Gobert deal. Myself included. We were bemoaning that deal so much, and Rudy has been a complete revelation this year. Arguably our most important player.

It's never quite as cut and dry as you would like to believe. I never really thought Naz could get to be the consistent outside threat that he now is. On this many attempts. To be right there with Towns in terms of shooting. He's really worked at it. It's awesome. To have a guy you can plug for an All-Star and get 95%+ of the same production.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

For me, it comes down to salary.

KAT is going to be making almost 50 million next season. His annual salary only goes higher as the years go on with a player option for over 60 million the final year.

Naz is obviously much cheaper and is arguably more mobile offensively and defensively, but arguably may not be as talented or as efficient.

If they both were making the same amount of money, I’d rather have Towns. In reality with salary a factor, I choose Naz.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:59 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm The question isn't if we are better without KAT, the question is are we better with what we would get for KAT.
It’s a fair question, but like I said after the Gobert trade,
the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.
If you have a team that functions nearly as well or better without a player and that player has value which will allow for adding additional depth and talent at other positions as well as flexibility long-term it would set up as a win-win situation not everything is zero sum both teams involved can win a trade. It is all about getting better and maximizing your team.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:57 am For me, it comes down to salary.

KAT is going to be making almost 50 million next season. His annual salary only goes higher as the years go on with a player option for over 60 million the final year.

Naz is obviously much cheaper and is arguably more mobile offensively and defensively, but arguably may not be as talented or as efficient.

If they both were making the same amount of money, I’d rather have Towns. In reality with salary a factor, I choose Naz.
This. I want Naz here beyond next season... prior to this season I thought for sure Gobert or Towns needed to get moved eventually... at this point I'll keep Gobert to pair with Naz.. and see what you can get for Towns. Not giving him away but have to explore what it could look like in order to keep Naz with Jaden and Ant.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I've always been a big Naz fan (we all have been) but boy was I wrong about him. I honestly thought we were witnessing his ceiling 2 years ago.