Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Pistons @ Timberwolves GDT 27 Mar Official***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
weimy froob

Re: ***Official Pistons @ Timberwolves GDT 27 Mar Official***

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am Rudy Gobert dominant again as Timberwolves pull away from Detroit for 50th win

“In many ways, the MVP of the game was Rudy,” Wolves coach Chris Finch said. “When Rudy was on the floor, they struggled to score, Rudy battling on the offensive glass, he kept a lot of things alive when we had nothing else going offensively, batted it out and we were able to hit a couple threes on the back end of that. And they were timely plays, too.”

“I think every time he plays well, we win. He does a lot of things that don’t show up in the stat sheet and things that do show up in the stat sheet,” Kyle Anderson said. “So I think he’s been our MVP this year.”

It didn’t matter that Anthony Edwards scored just nine points on 4-for-11 shooting or that Detroit guard Cade Cunningham went off for 32 points. Gobert is an eraser of many issues. He was again dominant defensively, serving as the primary reason Detroit shot just 40% from the field, including just 17 for 33 in the paint.

Gobert finished with 11 points and 14 rebounds, while going 5 for 5 from the field.

Just another day at the office.

“Man, he’s doing a great job. Being there for us on defense, keeping possessions alive, rim-running so that opens up another shot for another guy. He’s doing a great job,” Anderson said. “He’s setting the standard for everybody else. When you’ve got one of your top three guys playing hard, it has to trickle down to everybody else. So give him a lot of credit.”

Naz Reid and Jaden McDaniels provided additional offensive support. McDaniels continued his recent scoring resurgence with 20 points on the strength of three 3-pointers, while Reid had 21 points and 10 rebounds as he continues to shine in his starting role.

Anderson added 14 points and five assists in just 23 minutes off the bench.

But Gobert set the tone, as he has for much of the season. The big man is as responsible as anyone else for the 50 wins Minnesota has now posted.

“It’s hard to single out one guy when you’re having a good season. I think everyone is contributing to it. I think he’s certainly been extremely consistent on both ends of the floor for us, his approach and his leadership,” Finch said. “He set the tone at the beginning of the season for us and continues to. On nights like this, when it’s a little bit rough out there, he’s probably got the most determined and professional approach. I wouldn’t disagree with that.”
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

If we get 2-3 more good years out of Rudy the trade will pay off. Looks good so far.
Towns is done. We should be able to recoup some of those picks back for him. Too bad, because I like Towns.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 pm
witljon wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 pm

We go to Denver Friday night.
51 bitches!
We’re going to need Edwards “A” game
we lost to them by 3 pts while missing rudy/kat/naz. I feel good about our chances especially since we've been on a roll.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am FWIW, and I'm not deep diving into the stat, I'm sure someone here can, but Anthony Edwards has scored single digits six times this year, and the Wolves are five and one when he has.

Last night they said one game is when he played against Memphis and played 3 minutes, but someone else will have to do the deep dive to see what the other five games were.

Much like the wolves are still winning even though KATs out (unlike many expressed at the beginning of the KAT injury thread), I think this team is good enough to win against anybody, even on an off night by Ant.

Nice bench the Wolves have.
0 against Memphis when he got hurt, he missed a few game and his first game back when he was still hobbled he had 9 against Dallas in a win (Dallas didn't have Irving in it) 6 against Orlando in a quality win that we whooped Orlando. That was one of the games Ant wasn't shooting much and would pass it if he got it. 9 against Portland again another game he didn't try too hard to score and we won easily, 9 against Charlotte when Kat had 62 and we lost, 9 against Dallas again in a win where Luka and Iriving were both out,
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

there's been more than a few games where the rudy with the second unit lineup has been the difference.

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Rudy Gobert on getting the chance to play in more blended lineups with second unit players since KAT has been out:

"It's fun. I love to play with all different kinds of lineups. I like to maximize everybody's strength and help to make it work. And I think it's important that everyone is able to get used to -- this is gonna sound weird -- but get used to playing with me and me being able to also understand how to play with my teammates."

Do you learn more through actually playing with them as opposed to just watching them?

"Yeah. During practice, training camp and also me knowing everybody's strength, I know that I can make it work. And it's fun for me to get out there with second units. Usually good things happen. And in the past in Utah, we used to play me three stints, and our best lineup was always me coming back with the second unit, and we would kill every other second unit because they couldn't keep up with us. I think that's a strength for us. We have a very good bench."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

for all the bad press he's gotten and his supposedly bad reputation as a dingbat, i pretty much love Rudy Gobert.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

It'll be an interesting dynamic if KAT comes back right at the start of the playoffs.

The guys on the bench are getting some pretty decent play, Naz led the scoring last night.

We don't have to watch bully ball.

Seems to be decent ball movement.

Will KAT put one too many egos back on the floor?
My body, my choice.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am Will KAT put one too many egos back on the floor?
Jesus christ, just shut the fuck up.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am for all the bad press he's gotten and his supposedly bad reputation as a dingbat, i pretty much love Rudy Gobert.
The only knock I can really see, and it's an extremely small one, currently, he wants a challenge quite often when he commits a foul.

I suppose in the heat of the moment you don't recognize that you grabbed or brushed and opponent's arm, or maybe it's just a reaction - check that check that check that.

Kind of like Kat or Ant always yelling for the foul whenever they drive to the basket.
Last edited by LwnmwrMan222 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My body, my choice.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am Will KAT put one too many egos back on the floor?
Jesus christ, just shut the fuck up.
No.
My body, my choice.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

KAT has had no ego in the first 60 games, hasn't had one complaint, not sure why it would start now. He's 28 and has been on the biggest loser franchise in sports history and now he's gonna complain when they are cruising to 55-ish wins?

Depending on the first-round matchup, he might be able to ease back into the lineup without big minutes. Plus he'll be rested for the title run!
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am It'll be an interesting dynamic if KAT comes back right at the start of the playoffs.

The guys on the bench are getting some pretty decent play, Naz led the scoring last night.

We don't have to watch bully ball.

Seems to be decent ball movement.

Will KAT put one too many egos back on the floor?
I don't think KAT's ego will be an issue. But if Towns comes back say the 2nd round, I could see him coming off the bench or on minute restrictions if he is ramping back up into shape or still kind of injured.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Ego was the wrong word.

Will there be enough touches for everyone that's been making the push for the #1 seed fun?

That's how I should have worded it I guess.
My body, my choice.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm Ego was the wrong word.

Will there be enough touches for everyone that's been making the push for the #1 seed fun?

That's how I should have worded it I guess.
Plenty of touches. If anything this helped the second unit get more minutes and hopefully they will be even more effective against the 2nd units.

The only thing is if KAT forces things to get back into a rhythm.
witljon

Post by witljon »

shoteh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 pm

51 bitches!
we lost to them by 3 pts while missing rudy/kat/naz. I feel good about our chances especially since we've been on a roll.
That 3 point loss was in Minnesota. Probably be tougher in Denver.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

I would agree without Murray being down.
My heart is family.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Plus the may have taken us lightly missing all of those players, like we take teams missing players or bad teams like Charlotte lightly.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

The nuggets are vulnerable with any starters going down. There bench is complete dogshit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

The nuggets are vulnerable with any starters going down. There bench is complete dogshit.
I said in the other thread, Jokic is great and he’s going to make an impact and “get his” in any game. But as a team, the Nuggets are really bland and uncreative without Murray. They’re easy to defend.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

I said in the other thread, Jokic is great and he’s going to make an impact and “get his” in any game. But as a team, the Nuggets are really bland and uncreative without Murray. They’re easy to defend.
My thoughts during last year's playoffs and also this year, the way to defend the nuggets is make Jokic a scorer. Let that fat bastard take 30 shots and stay glued to everyone else. He's way more dangerous when he's dishing out assists to wide open teammates.

We have a 7'2", 3X defensive player of the year. Stick Rudy on him all game and see what happens.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

My thoughts during last year's playoffs and also this year, the way to defend the nuggets is make Jokic a scorer. Let that fat bastard take 30 shots and stay glued to everyone else. He's way more dangerous when he's dishing out assists to wide open teammates.

We have a 7'2", 3X defensive player of the year. Stick Rudy on him all game and see what happens.
Actually, we did well last year putting Towns on him and letting Gobert lurk. Towns job wasn’t to stop him. It was just to make him work, score over another 7’er, and make him defend on the other end. Gobert can help sometimes, but also roam to shut everything else down.

With a healthy Naz off the bench and Jaden to bother Murray, we could have beaten them last year. If Towns is back and everyone else stays healthy, I think we can take them this year.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

god damn it sucked losing jaden and naz right at the playoffs last year.

looking at Joker game logs is fun/interesting/probably not surprising.
when he has had a negative +/- (14 times) they are 2 and 12 - trashiest trash bench ever
if he's around 30pts and a pile of assists to give easy shots to porter and gordon is when they are the best
when he scores 31-35 they are 16-1 - that's the sweet spot.
scoring 15-24 pts they are 6-9, guess they can't find 10pts anywhere else
when he scores over 35 pts (5 times) the are 2-3 and the 2 wins were Spurs and Hornets, so him blowing up isn't ideal for them either.
then there's the pile of games where he does nothing but rebound and/or assist they always win lol, they are undefeated when he scores under 15 pts
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

Actually, we did well last year putting Towns on him and letting Gobert lurk. Towns job wasn’t to stop him. It was just to make him work, score over another 7’er, and make him defend on the other end. Gobert can help sometimes, but also roam to shut everything else down.

With a healthy Naz off the bench and Jaden to bother Murray, we could have beaten them last year. If Towns is back and everyone else stays healthy, I think we can take them this year.
No matter who guards him, I think the goal should be to make him a scorer vs. a facilitator. Let him go one-on-one and don't leave Porter, Murray, and KCP open, or let Gordon basket cut or grab weakside rebounds. The Nuggets are way more dangerous when Jokic is dishing out 10+ assists.

I agree, I think we match up very well against the Nuggets and am not at all scared of them.