Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New rules

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: New rules

Post by minnemike »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 am
minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 am Basically, tackling anyone from behind is now illegal. Good luck with that!
Not at all. If you tackle someone from behind by wrapping up their waist it's fine. The only thing you can't do is to let your lower half go limp and collapse onto their legs. It should be easily avoidable for defenders.
That would be the case for anyone equal or larger than the guy they are tackling. Smaller guys will get dragged for 50 yards. That will be fun to watch tho! :lol:

You have to admit the law is really dumb and introduces a really vague judgement call since most will be straddling the fence of using weight to tackle or not.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I like doing something to save the kickoff.
I hope this works.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Yep. That’s what I hinted at earlier. Going to look weird.

I believe you now had to declare an on-sides kick attempt and that will look like it has the last few years.

I believe the surprise on-sides kick is dead.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

For the Vikings, it looks like the kick return will be making a comeback. After being largely irrelevant for a few years we now have to ask: Who is our kick returner?

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:13 am For the Vikings, it looks like the kick return will be making a comeback. After being largely irrelevant for a few years we now have to ask: Who is our kick returner?
Ideally this would re-energize Kene, and make him have actual value again.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m not necessarily against these changes, but I think they have the potential to further slow the game down.

- Isaac Asimov
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 am
minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 am Basically, tackling anyone from behind is now illegal. Good luck with that!
Not at all. If you tackle someone from behind by wrapping up their waist it's fine. The only thing you can't do is to let your lower half go limp and collapse onto their legs. It should be easily avoidable for defenders.
That would be the case for anyone equal or larger than the guy they are tackling. Smaller guys will get dragged for 50 yards. That will be fun to watch tho! :lol:

You have to admit the law is really dumb and introduces a really vague judgement call since most will be straddling the fence of using weight to tackle or not.
No. It would only be the case for anyone who purposely collapses themselves onto the ball-carrier's legs after latching on to the waist.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:05 pm

No. It would only be the case for anyone who purposely collapses themselves onto the ball-carrier's legs after latching on to the waist.
So how will you tell if someone goes limp to pull a player down? Do their feet have to leave the ground? Fact is you really can’t tell and this will be a lame judgement ruling on almost every play. That opens it up for severe game tilting. Smaller guys tackle this way almost every time otherwise they just get dragged down the field.

But at least we have one fan who loves the new rule = you. :lol:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I like some of these new rules, definitely not the "Hip-drop" one though. That said, just a bit concerned that it will have a negative effect on the viewership of games. All this game needs is to be slower with more resentment & controversy. :roll:
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

The hip drop tackle stops the player from going forward. Only solution I can think of is tackling the legs which can also cause injuries. I wonder how often a hip drop tackle happens per game.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:49 pm

The hip drop tackle stops the player from going forward. Only solution I can think of is tackling the legs which can also cause injuries. I wonder how often a hip drop tackle happens per game.
Happens all the time. I just think some are more visually obvious but not functionally different in any way from the others. The ones we notice are when feet are not flat on the ground. But feet flat on the ground doesnt mean 99% of your weight isnt still dragging a player down in the same way as one that will be called for looking more like it. This rule basically eliminates tackles that arent trips or top end knock overs.

Bring back Jerome The Bus Bettis.... he'd be unstoppable!