Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New rules

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

New rules

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hip-drop tackle: gone.

For the record, I’m against this. I am for rules changes to reduce concussions and spinal injuries, but I think the kids of injuries targeted by this rule are what I would call “acceptable risks” of playing the game. Knee, hip, ankle, and other lower-body injuries don’t alter a persons life like head and spine injuries can. It may be arbitrary, but that’s the line I draw. NFLPA was against this change too. Defense keeps getting harder and harder.

Look for the kickoff to be dramatically changed this year too. It will be almost unrecognizable. Stay tuned.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Señor Trumpo

Re: New rules

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Another one.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am Hip-drop tackle: gone.

For the record, I’m against this. I am for rules changes to reduce concussions and spinal injuries, but I think the kids of injuries targeted by this rule are what I would call “acceptable risks” of playing the game. Knee, hip, ankle, and other lower-body injuries don’t alter a persons life like head and spine injuries can. It may be arbitrary, but that’s the line I draw. NFLPA was against this change too. Defense keeps getting harder and harder.

Look for the kickoff to be dramatically changed this year too. It will be almost unrecognizable. Stay tuned.
The real problem with the hip drop issue is how they will call it. Sure, the obvious "hip drop" is out there. But in what percentage of tackles at any level of football does a defensive player NOT drop their hips to make a tackle? To make most tackles the defender must make contact, then direct their energy downwards to bring the ball carrier down. This means their hips drop.

What is going to happen is they are going to call these penalties against the teams they hate, like the Vikings, in the most critical times of the game. I know I sound like a homer, but this is the fact in the NFL. There are teams that the NFL favors: Green Bay, the Brady Patriots, the Mahomes Chiefs, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Dallas Cowboys.

WHile I am not saying that the refs "cheat", but what they do is give these teams the benefit of the doubt on judgement calls like holding, PI, and now the hip drop tackle. What is a hip drop penalty against the Vikings will not be a hip drop penalty against the Packers.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Basically, tackling anyone from behind is now illegal. Good luck with that!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am

The real problem with the hip drop issue is how they will call it. Sure, the obvious "hip drop" is out there. But in what percentage of tackles at any level of football does a defensive player NOT drop their hips to make a tackle? To make most tackles the defender must make contact, then direct their energy downwards to bring the ball carrier down. This means their hips drop.

What is going to happen is they are going to call these penalties against the teams they hate, like the Vikings, in the most critical times of the game. I know I sound like a homer, but this is the fact in the NFL. There are teams that the NFL favors: Green Bay, the Brady Patriots, the Mahomes Chiefs, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Dallas Cowboys.

WHile I am not saying that the refs "cheat", but what they do is give these teams the benefit of the doubt on judgement calls like holding, PI, and now the hip drop tackle. What is a hip drop penalty against the Vikings will not be a hip drop penalty against the Packers.
I think it has a lot to do with falling or not falling on their legs. So you can drop your hips, just don’t trap the guys legs under you. That’s how guys get hurt. Easier said on a message Baird than done on the field in the moment…

My guess is that like the “falling on the QB” roughing the passer call, that this will come out of the gate with a ton of flags. Players will adjust and refs will start flagging it less and there won’t be that many. You don’t see a lot of that call anymore. But I do agree that the name on the back of the jersey of the guy tackled will have a lot to do with whether or not the flag comes out.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I actually kinda like this idea.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 am

I think it has a lot to do with falling or not falling on their legs. So you can drop your hips, just don’t trap the guys legs under you. That’s how guys get hurt. Easier said on a message Baird than done on the field in the moment…

When you are tackling a ball carrier how do you avoid where you fall relative to the other player. While I agree with you that it will be called then players will be used to it, this is a terrible rule.

I get trying to prevent injuries. One way to prevent injuries would be to put a flag belt on them and play flag football. Even then there would be injuries like Dre Greenlaw tearing his Achillis running out on the field during the Super Bowl. Maybe the NFL should create a new rule which will prevent players from running out on the field. WALK.... WALK....
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 am

When you are tackling a ball carrier how do you avoid where you fall relative to the other player. While I agree with you that it will be called then players will be used to it, this is a terrible rule.

I get trying to prevent injuries. One way to prevent injuries would be to put a flag belt on them and play flag football. Even then there would be injuries like Dre Greenlaw tearing his Achillis running out on the field during the Super Bowl. Maybe the NFL should create a new rule which will prevent players from running out on the field. WALK.... WALK....
I’m not a fan of the rule either, as I said above. I’m just saying what I think will happen.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Also, with the no hip-drop thing, you’re going to see a lot more of ball carriers dragging tacklers downfield for extra yardage. If you tackle high, how do you get the guy to the ground? I know you can just say “don’t tackle high,” but it’s not always that easy. Sometimes you come off a block and that action leaves you a little high and the ball carrier comes by at that moment and you can’t get low in time. So you grab on. Now you can’t drop to tackle him, so the guy will keep churning his legs. We’ll see it a lot.

More yards. More first downs. More points.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:11 am
Slowly implementing the things I been talking about in the past for years, but it's good.

Being able to correct no calls and bad calls on the fly would be nice. At the end of the day all I've ever wanted to see is them get it right.

Some stuff is gonna be really close calls and it's just gonna have to be what it is but some things are just downright obvious.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am

I actually kinda like this idea.
Yeah, it would be more entertaining. Can't remember the last successful onside kick I saw -- or at least one that everyone was expecting.

Guessing the conversion % for 4th and 20 is too high, by comparison. And too radical a change to the game.

:thinking:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

The other perspective:

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 am
I watched this and still have no fn clue what the fuck will be legal vs illegal. Seems arbitrary and will be a clusterfuck.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Great opportunity to throw more 'convenient' flags. Oh no, KC didn't get a first down, better call a hip drop tackle.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Gork

Post by Gork »

"NFL hates the Vikings" :roll: :roll: :roll:

The big stars get some of the calls but the league doesn't "hate" certain teams. JFC!
There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but Calebs' stupidity will remain!

TRUMPHUMPERS :humper: ™ ARE TRAITORS!

Proud member of the RFP!

Never trust a former president who wears Jim Bakker’s haircut and Tammy Faye’s makeup.
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:26 am Basically, tackling anyone from behind is now illegal. Good luck with that!
Not at all. If you tackle someone from behind by wrapping up their waist it's fine. The only thing you can't do is to let your lower half go limp and collapse onto their legs. It should be easily avoidable for defenders.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Gork wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:30 pm "NFL hates the Vikings" :roll: :roll: :roll:

The big stars get some of the calls but the league doesn't "hate" certain teams. JFC!
I can’t stand this BS either.

Exactly how you put it. Certain star players get favorable calls in sports.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I also have no problem with getting rid of this tackle.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am

He's not wrong. They mess with the game too much in my opinion. Specifically against NFL defenses. This is going to cloud games in a negative light and create more referee resentment. There will be more controversy from this. There was a time when I thought the NFL refs were the problem....
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:11 am
Wow, that is big, I'm for that all day.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:58 pm
I don't like changing the game to influence more scoring, fucking hate it. The NBA is a clown show because of that forced movement....now they're scrambling to reverse that trend. Any time you change the on the field game for external reasons you simply weaken it overall.