Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Nuggets @ Timberwolves GDT 19 Mar Official***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: ***Official Nuggets @ Timberwolves GDT 19 Mar Official***

Post by somuchyummy »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:34 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:29 pm

that three that he made last night might've got him going in the right direction again with his shot. wasn't in foul trouble for two games in a row as well. get jaden going and the wolves are going to be a tough out. let's see if two more days of rest gets rudy back in the lineup. i think Naz should be able to go on friday.
what's the word on Naz? did they give a few more details yet than just "head injury"? The nebulosity of that scares me.
no word--but he looked like healthy on the bench to me. anybody know how he got hurt/what play? i asked earlier and no response.
what i heard is that it happened in a scrum for a loose ball and that Collins hip whacked into the side of Naz's head - which usually isn't the greatest place on your head to get whacked.

short story that hopefully has zero to do with this. friend was leaving a parking lot and got t-boned by another car - IN the parking lot, not in the street, the other car was going maybe 6 mph. but it was enough of an impact that my bud's head doinked into his side window. not a big deal, I'm fine I'm fine. so... symptoms start showing up later that night - long story short - he was out of work for nearly a year and when he went back to work, had to quit around one every day because his head hurt so much from the lights and noise. I know this guy. tough man. nothing fakey here. brain injuries suck.

it's REALLY good to hear he was on the bench tonight in street clothes. Any chance you saw if he lasted the whole game? I will add that it looks good if a team doctor was okay with him at courtside. IF he had been concussed, with as loud and noisy and bright as NBA games are, no team doc worth anything would have allowed him to be there.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

The nugs should be worried after this. They hung in so close with no Karl, No Rudy, No Naz and a hurt Ant on the back end of a back to back. They should hope they don't see us in the playoffs.
My heart is family.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:40 pm Nice game. Coulda been nicer for a multitude of reasons.

Nice to see Luka can play when put in the game. I thinkif he gained more in game minutes, he'd easily be usable off the bench.
I think it does more to adding Luka in the mix next year. Once Rudy and Naz are back healthy, I doubt he sees the floor.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:40 pm Nice game. Coulda been nicer for a multitude of reasons.

Nice to see Luka can play when put in the game. I thinkif he gained more in game minutes, he'd easily be usable off the bench.
Wow! That’s the first thing we can agree on!

I thought Luka played well last season and kinda expected to be used a bit more this year. This is his chance to prove again he can be a serviceable/solid role piece to this team.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:46 pm

I think it does more to adding Luka in the mix next year. Once Rudy and Naz are back healthy, I doubt he sees the floor.
11/6 with 2 threes, 2 steals and a block in 22 mins against the reigning world champs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:49 pm

11/6 with 2 threes, 2 steals and a block in 22 mins against the reigning world champs.
I hear ya. I’ve been wanting Finch to give Kyle more rest and trust Luka and Minott with some minutes all season. I like Finch but I don’t think it should get to this extreme before a couple of these players get real minutes.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Also, we’ve seen Luka make a higher percentage of those good shots he was taking tonight. He was flirting with having a really, really good night.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

what were the wolves FG percentages overall and beyond the arc? NAW only with four points. he has his usual production they might've been able to steal it.

i really don't take much from this game as far as a potential matchup in the playoffs goes. there's going to be different players on the court and we already knew they can play with the nuggets. it's just another association special tonight. wolves also helped out by a lot of nugget turnovers. another game in denver next friday. let's see how that one plays out if the wolves have Naz and rudy back.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

You could open up room for Luka with just letting KA walk after this year. Naz will get the majority of minutes there at PF with Towns.

He seems between positions in this NBA a little bit. He's not athletic or long enough to be a center, but maybe not quite quick enough as a 4.

I'm not sure about say a Reid/Garza frontcourt. Garza/Towns, Garza/Gobert seem pretty reasonable for stretches.

But he can play. Once they give him a consistent role to expect out of his offense, being a part of the every day rotation, I think hes skilled enough to shine a bit
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:53 pm Also, we’ve seen Luka make a higher percentage of those good shots he was taking tonight. He was flirting with having a really, really good night.
he wanted that little four footer that spun around the rim to drop in the 4th. i was more pleased that he held up on the defensive end of the court in the second half. it's no good if he's more efficient on the offensive end if he's a giant liability on that side of the court.

wolves lulled the nuggets to sleep with that first half though. they woke up in the last half of the 4th quarter. 8-10 from the floor and making most of their FTs. wolves couldn't match that offensive push.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The frontcourt is an interesting proposition nexr year for this team. Honestly, you've got to find Naz Reid even more minutes. He's right up there with Towns, Gobert, and Ant at this point. He's our 4th best player in a walk.

We are going to have the best shooting frontcourt in the league. Mix that in with the defensive anchor in Gobert, seems good.

Towns 42.3% 3PT%
Naz 41.4% 3PT%
Luka ??? 3PT%
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:41 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:34 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 pm

what's the word on Naz? did they give a few more details yet than just "head injury"? The nebulosity of that scares me.
no word--but he looked like healthy on the bench to me. anybody know how he got hurt/what play? i asked earlier and no response.
what i heard is that it happened in a scrum for a loose ball and that Collins hip whacked into the side of Naz's head - which usually isn't the greatest place on your head to get whacked.
They showed Naz getting elbowed in the head by Collins a ton on replay plenty of times last night. Not really a mystery.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Great game tonight in the loss. Loved how hard they played, right until the end. I was worried that we were going to run out of gas and we ultimately did.

Denver's bench is complete dogshit. They better get into the playoffs completely healthy or they are fucked. Definitely not scared of them at all... absolutely love our chances against them if/when it comes to it.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

irishman89 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:28 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:25 pm Ant had a chance.
He kind of disappeared too much tonight even though Box Score says he had a good game.
Absolutely loving Ant's up and under/step through move he's been using lately. So much better and more reliable than the fadeaway jumper he too often settles for. Keep that shit up!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

60-22
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
focker

Post by focker »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:41 pm The nugs should be worried after this. They hung in so close with no Karl, No Rudy, No Naz and a hurt Ant on the back end of a back to back. They should hope they don't see us in the playoffs.
Agreed with all this. I took this as one of those 'good loss' type situations. Sure, a win would have been amazing, but we played well down 3 of our best players on the 2nd night of a back to back.

You could tell the guys were pretty gassed by the end of the game.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

For obvious reasons. However it is nice to see the bench isn't completely empty if those two are out of the game.

If one is out of the game, I feel he should get considerable more reps. You could see once you started getting into the flow he was more comfortable and able to make plays.

He had an excellent polkaway on Jokic last night. Showing he had some quick hands and can play some defense.
My body, my choice.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

his defense held up in the second half. that's what i liked best.

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Luka Garza has been open about defense being a weakness in his game when interviewed over these two years in Minnesota, and it being something he's committed to improving.

Asked Garza postgame about how he feels that defense has grown in his two years here and about the kind of ultimate test for that defense in his matchup against Nikola Jokic was tonight:

"I think a little bit is I gotta trust myself and be confident within myself on that end. I’ve worked really hard on my feet, my movement, my strength, everything. I think you saw in the second half I used it a little bit more than I did in the first half. I was giving him a little too much respect in the first half. But I think there’s another level I can get to. I know I’m going to get there because I’m going to work as hard as I can to improve myself on that end. I just want to be able to go out there and be a solid defender, and then make up for everything on the offensive end. Because I know, no matter what, if I go out there, I’m going to score the ball, and when the ball is in my hand I’m going to make the right play."
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Can’t believe I’m saying this but wolves should have won that game. Needed just one more player to step up offensively.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

PanicWolf wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:25 am Can’t believe I’m saying this but wolves should have won that game. Needed just one more player to step up offensively.
NAW's normal production probably gets it done.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pretty good fight for the fellas last night.
Let's get Tropical
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 am his defense held up in the second half. that's what i liked best.

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Luka Garza has been open about defense being a weakness in his game when interviewed over these two years in Minnesota, and it being something he's committed to improving.

Asked Garza postgame about how he feels that defense has grown in his two years here and about the kind of ultimate test for that defense in his matchup against Nikola Jokic was tonight:

"I think a little bit is I gotta trust myself and be confident within myself on that end. I’ve worked really hard on my feet, my movement, my strength, everything. I think you saw in the second half I used it a little bit more than I did in the first half. I was giving him a little too much respect in the first half. But I think there’s another level I can get to. I know I’m going to get there because I’m going to work as hard as I can to improve myself on that end. I just want to be able to go out there and be a solid defender, and then make up for everything on the offensive end. Because I know, no matter what, if I go out there, I’m going to score the ball, and when the ball is in my hand I’m going to make the right play."
Gotta love Luka. Great young guy to have on this team.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 am his defense held up in the second half. that's what i liked best.

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA

As a Hawkeye fan, I’ve never seen a guy work so hard and improve so much. I have immense respect for players that work their asses off to improve. You can’t believe how bad garza was his freshman year. Just clueless and an oaf. The guy worked and is a gym rat.

You can’t understkmate guys like that that have the passion for the game and will do everything in their power to improve. Like I’ve said all along since we singed him last year, I can see him being a very productive rotational player in this league.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

aztimberwolves wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:08 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 am

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA

As a Hawkeye fan, I’ve never seen a guy work so hard and improve so much. I have immense respect for players that work their asses off to improve. You can’t believe how bad garza was his freshman year. Just clueless and an oaf. The guy worked and is a gym rat.

You can’t understkmate guys like that that have the passion for the game and will do everything in their power to improve. Like I’ve said all along since we singed him last year, I can see him being a very productive rotational player in this league.
yup. He's kind of stuck in no man's land right now with how we are rostered. But that could change. And, if anything, he might be starting to get some eyes on him around the league - and could be a trade target for a team needing more post scoring. I wouldn't want to lose him until we figure out our moving parts going into next year - just pointing out that I think his value is rising. 37 points in 56 minutes over the last four games!
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:41 pm The nugs should be worried after this. They hung in so close with no Karl, No Rudy, No Naz and a hurt Ant on the back end of a back to back. They should hope they don't see us in the playoffs.
This^
Plus, we missed a lot of easy layups.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:52 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:49 pm

I hear ya. I’ve been wanting Finch to give Kyle more rest and trust Luka and Minott with some minutes all season. I like Finch but I don’t think it should get to this extreme before a couple of these players get real minutes.
Yup. I also think we need them to be ready in case we need them. Would be tough to be in the middle of a PO series and have to go to one of them after 10+ DNP-CD.
It also gives the older/banged up players a little time to recover. Going down the homestretch are a lot of so called easier games. (Even though the other teams are out to prove something.) We still have Denver 2 more times (on the road) and Phx twice. Those are the only games that should be tough down the stretch. I like our chances to finish top 3 at worst.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if you look at our last two drafts, we just haven't used our drafted players.

This year it was Leonard Miller (33rd pick) and Jaylen Clark (53rd). Clark has been injured all year so he's out of this analysis - although the way things have been, even if healthy I don't think he'd be seeing any time. But Miller was thought of as somewhat a steal - he's played a total of 30 minutes this year. Of the 58 picks taken in the draft - six haven't seen any action (euro stash, injuries, didn't make the team, etc) - so that leaves 52 who have, and Lenny ranks 47th of 52 in minutes played. A lot of guys taken after him who have seen more court time.

This situation is much the same for the 2022 draft in which we selected Wendell Moore Jr. (26th pick) and Josh Minott (45th). Of the 58 players selected, 8 haven't played at all (again, stash injuries whatnot) - but of the 50 who have experienced court time, Moore ranks 41st and Minott 42nd. Hey, at least Minott has out-PTed his draft position!

But it just points to how little we have used our draft picks. Under 400 minutes total in the last two seasons - that's an average of 2.4 MPG spread over 3 players (Clark not included). Either we've picked poorly or it's a team philosophy. Other teams simply give their rookies more opportunities.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:34 pm if you look at our last two drafts, we just haven't used our drafted players.

This year it was Leonard Miller (33rd pick) and Jaylen Clark (53rd). Clark has been injured all year so he's out of this analysis - although the way things have been, even if healthy I don't think he'd be seeing any time. But Miller was thought of as somewhat a steal - he's played a total of 30 minutes this year. Of the 58 picks taken in the draft - six haven't seen any action (euro stash, injuries, didn't make the team, etc) - so that leaves 52 who have, and Lenny ranks 47th of 52 in minutes played. A lot of guys taken after him who have seen more court time.

This situation is much the same for the 2022 draft in which we selected Wendell Moore Jr. (26th pick) and Josh Minott (45th). Of the 58 players selected, 8 haven't played at all (again, stash injuries whatnot) - but of the 50 who have experienced court time, Moore ranks 41st and Minott 42nd. Hey, at least Minott has out-PTed his draft position!

But it just points to how little we have used our draft picks. Under 400 minutes total in the last two seasons - that's an average of 2.4 MPG spread over 3 players (Clark not included). Either we've picked poorly or it's a team philosophy. Other teams simply give their rookies more opportunities.
I feel like Connelly drafted Miller and Minott seeing future potential in them with the intention that they needed a few years to be rotation pieces and we didn't need them now unless we had a lot of injuries. Moore seemed the more ready player coming out of college, but he just hasn't shown much of anything. Until Kat's injury we were one of the healthier teams in the league behind OKC and a few others. Injuries open up opportunities for some of these players like Garza recently. Brandin Podziemski for instance didn't get many minutes until the garbage time minute against us when he scored 8 points in a minute, and the next game against us when both Klay and Green got ejected early and he scored a bunch of points against us again.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll disagree about Podz. By the seventh game of the year, Podz had more minutes played than Miller has all season.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:34 pm if you look at our last two drafts, we just haven't used our drafted players.

It's Finch the Grinch when it comes to playing young guys. I don't get it. It feels like Finch gets a pass on this while another coach like Thibodeaou would be getting called out for putting too many regular season minutes on his starters.