Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Nuggets @ Timberwolves GDT 19 Mar Official***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

***Official Nuggets @ Timberwolves GDT 19 Mar Official***

Post by somuchyummy »

Big game tonight. The Nuggets (47-21) travel to Target Center to face the Timberwolves (47-21). Tip off is at 8 PM.

This will be the first of three games between the two squads - tied for 2nd in the West - within the next 23 days. We squashed a fully staffed Nuggets team the first time around by 21 points (1 Nov 23) - holding them to just 89 points. The caveat to this, of course, is the health of our three top Centers - KAT, Rudy and Naz combined for a 42/25 line in that first game - plus we'll be on the second half of a back to back, coming off a clutch win over the Jazz last night. The Nuggets have been the best team in basketball since the All Star break - and are 8-2 over the last ten. We've been finding ways to win in that same span - but are a more pedestrian 6-4. 6-4 is also the edge Denver holds against us in the last ten matchups - but, against one of the best teams in the NBA, that record shows that we have been a very tough out. If there's a team in the West built to battle the Nuggets, it's probably the Timberwolves.

The Nuggets are favored by 7 points. This line started at 2 points, but has been adjusted due to injuries.

Injury Report:

Denver - Vlatco Cancar is Out. Zeke Nnaji is Questionable.

Minnesota - Karl-Anthony Towns and Jaylen Clark are Out. Rudy Gobert is still Questionable with the rib injury - and now Naz Reid is also Questionable with a head injury that kept him out of the second half of last night's game. There has been little word yet on Naz's status - or the extent of that injury. If he was concussed, he'll be Out.

Cheers Froobs and Go Timberwolves!
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Re: ***Official Nuggets @ Timberwolves GDT 19 Mar Official***

Post by somuchyummy »

Lots to wonder about this game - and most of it isn't good. The good? Ant has been playing out of his mind. The bad? Obviously, the injury status of our 3 top Centers when facing the best Center in the league. We may start this game with Kyle Anderson or Luka Garza at the 5. And we should remember that - despite a really solid outing last night (10/6/5 and a plus 19), Kyle has also been nursing a bad shoulder. Rudy has been on the cusp of returning - but I wonder if it still might be in our best longterm interest to rest him tonight. He'd be defending that big chumbalone body of Jokic's - who loves to use it to pound into defenders - and that's probably the last thing Rudy's ribs need right now. And we're still waiting for definitive word about the state of Naz's noggin. The injuries loom large in this one - and if the game gets out of hand early, I can see Finch pulling the plug to help us prepare for the next go around.

Final note: If we are to compete in this game, we'll need a good effort from Mike Conley. He's alternated lately between looking pretty good - to looking old and tired. In the last ten games, he's had four where he's averaged 20 ppg - and another six where he's averaged 5. Which Mike are we getting tonight?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I wonder if we shouldn’t just keep Rudy out, rest Ant for his finger, and let old man Mike take the night off on a back to back. Maybe even rest KA.

We’re beat up and I don’t think we come out on top even if everyone were to play as I’m sure we wouldn’t be fresh.

Rather concede this game and rest our top guys and live to fight another day.

And on another note, if and when McDaniels no-shows tonight, that’ll be the last straw for me. I say trade his overrated ass!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

here's the last paragraphs from the story of last night's game. KA's a leader on this team and he gathered the boys and told them what's up. tonight does shape up as a "schedule loss"--but it's the association and if they can keep the turnovers low and the shots fall they could stack another W. Ant doesn't seem to want to spit the bit--so if he gets it going again they can win.

The win was massive for Minnesota for a multitude of reasons.

The Wolves need all the divisional victories they can get as a potential tiebreaker for seeding purposes over both Oklahoma City and Denver as the three teams jostle for the top spot in the Western Conference. The Wolves (47-21) are currently tied with Denver in the standings, and just a half-game back of the Thunder.

Also, the currently short-handed Wolves have a date at home Tuesday with Denver. And Monday’s win eases a little of the urgency heading into that bout.

“As a group, collectively, we came together (on the floor) right before the third quarter started and (Anderson) was like, ‘Hey, we need this game. We’ve got Denver tomorrow, we missing key players, so we need this game,'” Edwards said. “So, we kind of took it personal, and I’m glad my teammates stepped up tonight.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

nice to hear they are thinking big picture like that. i think going into the game, we thought we should rest against the Jazz, even if it meant a loss - so that we'd be fresh against Denver. With Rudy still not right and Naz going down, that changed plans. Good for KA - that's one of the reasons he's great to have on the team.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I’m a fan of KA as a basketball player. I’d love to bring him back next year if we could find a way.

Quite an honest shame McDaniels is starting to feel like a MASSIVE negative of a contract going forward.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:03 am I’m a fan of KA as a basketball player. I’d love to bring him back next year if we could find a way.

Quite an honest shame McDaniels is starting to feel like a MASSIVE negative of a contract going forward.
I think we’re seeing McDaniels at his floor. Even then, it’s not some massive negative of a contract.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Twolves have submitted their injury report to the league. Rudy, Naz and Ant all Questionable.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 am I wonder if we shouldn’t just keep Rudy out, rest Ant for his finger, and let old man Mike take the night off on a back to back. Maybe even rest KA.

We’re beat up and I don’t think we come out on top even if everyone were to play as I’m sure we wouldn’t be fresh.

Rather concede this game and rest our top guys and live to fight another day.

And on another note, if and when McDaniels no-shows tonight, that’ll be the last straw for me. I say trade his overrated ass!
I agree with all but the JM part.
This is going to be a lose lose IMO. Ant needs rest, as well as all starters. Finch needs to manage his team to get ready for the PO's.
I am not saying to stop trying, and we certainly want home court, but at what cost? Take a page out of some of the good coaches around the league and rest some of those you rode into the ground during this two week road trip. I really don't like the way they scheduled this game, but we do get a few days off and a long home stretch. We also have only 4 road games left this year. Two of them at Denver. Either way, I won't be upset at the outcome. A win would be nice, but again, at what cost?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Pouring more ice on this fire, SI has a new piece out about Rudy's injury, and yeah, not so good. The medical folks they consulted said rib sprains are often terribly painful with recovery times between 2 and 6 weeks. We aren't even at two yet.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 am
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:03 am I’m a fan of KA as a basketball player. I’d love to bring him back next year if we could find a way.

I think we’re seeing McDaniels at his floor. Even then, it’s not some massive negative of a contract.
I think it's personal with this poster. He doesn't like JM, but it's not like he's garbage. And his contract will be a bargain compared to some of these players, I mean, we did get him cheap for the last 4 years. He locks down defenders so even when not scoring he's helping. Some things don't show up in the stat collum.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 pm Pouring more ice on this fire, SI has a new piece out about Rudy's injury, and yeah, not so good. The medical folks they consulted said rib sprains are often terribly painful with recovery times between 2 and 6 weeks. We aren't even at two yet.
Not sure I'm buying it. How would SI get any records of Rudy's injury? Now they can speculate, but I doubt they factually know. I heard Rudy say it was his sternum and he was having trouble breathing, so.....Either way I am sure when Finch gives us a bone we can go from there.
Just keep Jaden away from walls. :D
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

they didn't. the official report is that he has sprained ribs. SI talked to a medical source about sprained ribs and recovery time. response - it's a very painful injury and needs a 2-3 week to 6 week recovery period. Watching the replay - it didn't look insignificant. Rudy was in a lot of pain and said he was having a hard time breathing afterwards.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Any word on Anthony Edwards dislocated finger?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Naz out. Edwards expected to play. No word on Rudy yet.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

I think the wolves get smoked tonight with no Naz. Think they are pretty happy they pulled off last night and will take the schedule loss.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

hope they rest Rudy too.

Luka's time to shine. Or get his head kicked in. We'll see.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Love the Garza story but the folklore disappears when you see what a defensive liability he is.

I would love to “The Garza Game” though.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Naz out

Rudy in

Edwards questionable. (Of course he is; he’ll play)
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm Naz out

Rudy in

Edwards questionable. (Of course he is; he’ll play)
The merry-go-round continues.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Huh.

Johnny K is saying Edwards and Rudy are gametime decisions…

We’ll see….

- Isaac Asimov
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Of course the one game I’m going to has potentially zero stars playing for us. Even just Naz out basically gives us no chance due to losing 20pts and a body.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

boxter432 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 pm Of course the one game I’m going to has potentially zero stars playing for us. Even just Naz out basically gives us no chance due to losing 20pts and a body.
au contraire. you get the thrilling experience of seeing someone new have the game of their life!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just rest Rudy. sprained ribs and he's going to be smacked into all night by Joker? just no.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Considering the spread is only 7 points, they sure seem to think both Rudy and Ant are in.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

anybody see/remember the play where Naz got hurt?

shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Jaden gone continue his 1 shot streak into this game, that is all.

Pretty meh expectations from me for this one fellaz, but im fine with that.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

shoteh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 pm Jaden gone continue his 1 shot streak into this game, that is all.

Pretty meh expectations from me for this one fellaz, but im fine with that.
Yeah. Hard to be optimistic.

But pulling off the sweep in Utah and the nice win in LAC made this an acceptable loss if it comes down that way.

- Isaac Asimov
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This is the most schedule/injury loss in all of Timberwolves history. I would be shocked if they are even in this game.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Jokic might go for 100 and 60 tonight....
I made this!