Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
William Munny

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:08 pm
William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm
D_H wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

No chance I find it very difficult to believe Kevin O’Connell is that stupid.

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
Chad Henne was the real deal before injury. Big time arm and smart with the ball.
Lol
I guess Henne was before your time.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Donovan McNabb on JJ McCarthy. Lolololo

Listen, I love what [Jim] Harbaugh was able to do at Michigan. There was a couple years ago when everyone wanted Harbaugh fired because he couldn’t beat Ohio State; and all of a sudden, he’s beating Ohio State and everybody else. Now he’s in the national championship game, but to me, J.J. McCarthy – I just see him being a guy that people three years from now are going to say, ‘Was he really worth drafting?’"

Bingo!!!! JJ McCarthy was considered a second or third round draft pick before the national championship game. He played like shit in the national championship game and all of a sudden he’s the top 10 pick ?? lol I’m not buying any of that bullshit height either.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am Donovan McNabb on JJ McCarthy. Lolololo

Listen, I love what [Jim] Harbaugh was able to do at Michigan. There was a couple years ago when everyone wanted Harbaugh fired because he couldn’t beat Ohio State; and all of a sudden, he’s beating Ohio State and everybody else. Now he’s in the national championship game, but to me, J.J. McCarthy – I just see him being a guy that people three years from now are going to say, ‘Was he really worth drafting?’"

Bingo!!!! JJ McCarthy was considered a second or third round draft pick before the national championship game. He played like shit in the national championship game and all of a sudden he’s the top 10 pick ?? lol I’m not buying any of that bullshit height either.
With JJ you're investing in the 23 year old, not the current talent.
It's incredibly risky and if it solely based on 2024, he would be my last QB taken from the big 5, maybe even 6.

From a physical standpoint he checks the boxes.
Sure he didn't carry his team but he's a winner.
Also known for his middle of the field accuracy, something KOC covets.

Kwesi's a smart guy who understands risk extremely well.
It's been rumored the Vikings want to hold onto the Texans pick, which truly has me thinking he won't mortgage the farm unless it's for a clear cut generational talent which JJ is not.

Hopefully this is all media hype, like what we saw the last couple years with the QBs and he falls to at least something reasonable like 7 with Tennessee. That I could live with, but if they trade 3-1sts for this guy at 4, they're making a big mistake.

Who knows, maybe the Vikings go OG or CB with pick 11 and settle for Nix or Pennix. :thinking:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Head Coach wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 am

With JJ you're investing in the 23 year old, not the current talent.
It's incredibly risky and if it solely based on 2024, he would be my last QB taken from the big 5, maybe even 6.

From a physical standpoint he checks the boxes.
Sure he didn't carry his team but he's a winner.
Also known for his middle of the field accuracy, something KOC covets.

Kwesi's a smart guy who understands risk extremely well.
It's been rumored the Vikings want to hold onto the Texans pick, which truly has me thinking he won't mortgage the farm unless it's for a clear cut generational talent which JJ is not.

Hopefully this is all media hype, like what we saw the last couple years with the QBs and he falls to at least something reasonable like 7 with Tennessee. That I could live with, but if they trade 3-1sts for this guy at 4, they're making a big mistake.

Who knows, maybe the Vikings go OG or CB with pick 11 and settle for Nix or Pennix. :thinking:
He was good at handing off the ball lol

3 pics versus Bowling Green basically a division two team is a huge red flag and admitted after the game they’re defense had him confused. Lol

In the national championship game, it was so painfully obvious the coaching staff did not trust him to pass.

I think it’s actually more of his agent & Jim Harbaugh pumping him up. I’ve yet to hear one X NFL quarterback say anything good about him. As a matter of fact, Kurt Warner does not even have him in a top five.

I suspect some desperate owner that really doesn’t know anything about football will push to draft him because they’re falling for the mock draft bullshit but it’ll just get the coaching staff, and front office fired within two years.
D_H

Post by D_H »

lol

NFL coach:

He seems to throw the ball at one speed: very average. Although he has a playmaking style when presented, he needs to have a little more variation in his base throws in terms of pace and velocity.

QB Coaches Say J.J. McCarthy Struggles To Go Left, Throw With Touch. Tends to telegraph throws which showed up in the Bowling Green game where he looked confused and struggled mightily.

Lololololo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:26 pm lol

NFL coach:

He seems to throw the ball at one speed: very average. Although he has a playmaking style when presented, he needs to have a little more variation in his base throws in terms of pace and velocity.

QB Coaches Say J.J. McCarthy Struggles To Go Left, Throw With Touch. Tends to telegraph throws which showed up in the Bowling Green game where he looked confused and struggled mightily.

Lololololo
Zoolander eventually figured it out, why can't J.J.?
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:26 pm lol

NFL coach:

Lololololo
Zoolander eventually figured it out, why can't J.J.?
haha, I thought the exact same thing.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Pleas god no JJ Mccarthy. That's all I ask for.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm Pleas god no JJ Mccarthy. That's all I ask for.
I wouldnt be angry with JJ. I think his ceiling is Alex Smith which isnt terrible. Drake Maye I think his floor is Trubisky and Ceiling is Josh Allen
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm Pleas god no JJ Mccarthy. That's all I ask for.
You just don't like his haircut. :lol:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Gordonbombay wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 pm
I wouldnt be angry with JJ. I think his ceiling is Alex Smith which isnt terrible. Drake Maye I think his floor is Trubisky and Ceiling is Josh Allen
Isn’t terrible?!?

I’m not trading away multiple 1st rounders for Alex Smith. Shit, I’m not even picking the next Alex Smith at #23.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

I would not draft or trade for McCarthy in the 1st round
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm I would not draft or trade for McCarthy in the 1st round
Oh no.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I think you guys are getting a little hyperbolic here.
On a rookie scale contract, Alex Smith would be absolutely fantastic.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm I think you guys are getting a little hyperbolic here.
Don't sell these froobs short, O.

Every damn one of them is an NFL pro scout and talent evaluator.

Every. Damn. One.
Spoiler:
:lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

A lot of chatter today about the Patriots trading down (One of the head brass tweeted yesterday that they were open to offers). They need a "godfather" offer, but reports are saying the Vikings are the only ones who are calling them. I'm sure they want the two firsts this year, 1 next year, and one the year after, but no one has that or is gonna pay that. Still hard to believe that #11, #23, and next year's first isn't enough. That seems like a Godfather offer, but some reports are saying so far we have been offering #11, #23, and a 3rd rounder from next year. That would be much better.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Andrew J of PFF has a mock out today with us trading up to five for JJ. We send the 11, 23 and 129 out for the 5th pick - but also get their 69th back. I would be in favor of this. Even though I'm dubious as F about JJ. But if you look at the picks likely to be around 60 to 70, there are some good guys in that range - and we could likely add an impactful defender along with a new QB.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm I think you guys are getting a little hyperbolic here.
Gross.

If this is what the Vikings end up with, I don’t even need to watch. Who the fuck hopes for the next Alex Smith?

You are not trading multiple picks to just have a decent QB for his rookie year. You are then stuck with a mediocre QB on a big payday when the contract comes due.

Also, Kwesi said around a year ago that you need a rockstar QB and admitted Cousins wasn’t that. I highly doubt he’s hoping to trade away a draft and a half for the next Alex Smith.
Last edited by RubeTube on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm
Bona ROCK HARD
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 pm
Bona ROCK HARD
RT, I am SO confused as to what is going to happen. One day I want Daniels....then I want Maye....then I want JJ....then I'm ok with Penix or Nix. NOBODY knows what is going to happen!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Who’s Jonathan Kraft?
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Hornets wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm
Bona ROCK HARD
RT, I am SO confused as to what is going to happen. One day I want Daniels....then I want Maye....then I want JJ....then I'm ok with Penix or Nix. NOBODY knows what is going to happen!!
I will take Daniels first then Maye, Penix and JJ, and Nix
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm

Bona ROCK HARD
I will take Daniels first then Maye, Penix and JJ, and Nix
My list and its not necessarily just on talent but what fits this team….

1. Maye
2. Daniels
3. Penix/JJ
4. Nix

I personally like Penix more than JJ just because I enjoyed him more in college but if they are picking one of them at #11 I won’t have a problem with either.

I’ve been saying for the last month… All I care is we don’t trade up if Daniels and Maye are gone. They are the only two worth going up for. The other guys are so close to the same in a different bracket.

I want to trade the house for Maye but if it can’t happen, just sit back and use both our picks and take one of the tier two guys.

I’ve already predicted that the Vikings will trade to #3. Heard too many people I trust tell me this thing is going to happen.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm
Gross.

If this is what the Vikings end up with, I don’t even need to watch. Who the fuck hopes for the next Alex Smith?

You are not trading multiple picks to just have a decent QB for his rookie year. You are then stuck with a mediocre QB on a big payday when the contract comes due.

Also, Kwesi said around a year ago that you need a rockstar QB and admitted Cousins wasn’t that. I highly doubt he’s hoping to trade away a draft and a half for the next Alex Smith.
More directed at the “I’m not drafting at 23 even line.”
If you’re trading up heavily, then yes obviously that changes the expectation.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
D_H

Post by D_H »

Scout on JJ McCarthy:

Michigan's offense really struggled to move the ball for stretches, when they faced defenses that could stop the run, with McCarthy looking indecisive in pure dropback situations, where he'd end up escaping the pocket and get tracked down due to the angles he took. He struggled with making quick decisions and appears lost too many times.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Who’s Jonathan Kraft?
Bob Kraft is the NE owner, so I am guessing Johnnie boy is a son.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

William Munny wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:31 am
Small Hands wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Who’s Jonathan Kraft?
Bob Kraft is the NE owner, so I am guessing Johnnie boy is a son.
I know Rob Kraft. Just didn’t know is son was involved in personnel decisions
witljon

Post by witljon »

Did you watch the Michigan-Ohio State game?
McCarthy had just one pass attempt in the second half.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master