Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:59 am
I e been saying this for months.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:31 am
Do you believe that we will pay enough in draft capital to get to 3 overall and draft Maye?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:01 am
Do you believe that we will pay enough in draft capital to get to 3 overall and draft Maye?
Yes. In a realistic trade they do. But the Patriots may demand more because they need a QB too.

The last thing, there is no way these guys know what they are claiming.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:24 am
Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:01 am

Yes. In a realistic trade they do. But the Patriots may demand more because they need a QB too.

The last thing, there is no way these guys know what they are claiming.
Agree.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Everyone knows Caleb Williams is special. The play making he does is Mahomes like.

Here is Merrill's top QBs of 2021.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... gs/201867/

Highlights:

Zack WIlson
No. 2 overall. Wilson is a Week 1 starter who can become an elite NFL quarterback if he handles the jump in competition and improves his pre-snap reads

Trey Lance
top 10 overall. Despite the fair concerns, Lance is simply too talented not to take seriously.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Yep it’s Maye or Daniels
D_H

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:55 am
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am Donovan McNabb on JJ McCarthy. Lolololo

Listen, I love what [Jim] Harbaugh was able to do at Michigan. There was a couple years ago when everyone wanted Harbaugh fired because he couldn’t beat Ohio State; and all of a sudden, he’s beating Ohio State and everybody else. Now he’s in the national championship game, but to me, J.J. McCarthy – I just see him being a guy that people three years from now are going to say, ‘Was he really worth drafting?’"

Bingo!!!! JJ McCarthy was considered a second or third round draft pick before the national championship game. He played like shit in the national championship game and all of a sudden he’s the top 10 pick ?? lol I’m not buying any of that bullshit height either.
Did you watch the Michigan-Ohio State game?
McCarthy had just one pass attempt in the second half.

Yep I also watched the Bowling Green game. He threw three interceptions against basically division two competition.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 am
Everyone knows Caleb Williams is special. The play making he does is Mahomes like.

Highlights:

Zack WIlson
No. 2 overall. Wilson is a Week 1 starter who can become an elite NFL quarterback if he handles the jump in competition and improves his pre-snap reads

Trey Lance
top 10 overall. Despite the fair concerns, Lance is simply too talented not to take seriously.
Just goes to show you how important it is to land in the right organization, with the right coaches, supporting talent, etc.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am

Highlights:

Zack WIlson

Trey Lance
Just goes to show you how important it is to land in the right organization, with the right coaches, supporting talent, etc.
While that is partially true, they would have failed in any organization. They may have been able to be backup players, they failed because they were drafted to be high end starters.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 am
Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am

Highlights:

Zack WIlson

Trey Lance
While that is partially true, they would have failed in any organization. They may have been able to be backup players, they failed because they were drafted to be high end starters.
Ok.

Let's get down to brass tax.

If you were the GM of the Minnesota Vikings, which QB prospect are you targeting, and at what cost?

Maye or McCarthy?

Well?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:59 am

Ok.

Let's get down to brass tax.

If you were the GM of the Minnesota Vikings, which QB prospect are you targeting, and at what cost?

Maye or McCarthy?

Well?
Dude, I have 2000 posts on this subject. But one more time.

Williams is in a draft tier by himself, one of the best QB prospects to come into the NFL in a long time because of his playmaking abilities that comp to Patrick Mahomes.

Daniels is in a 2nd tier by himself because he has the Lamar Jackson comp, a guy that can run for 1,000 yards and pass for 4,000.

Then comes the real brass tacks.

I have McCarthy slightly ahead of Maye. Like on a scale of 1 -100, Williams at 100, Daniels at 96, McCarthy 91 and Maye 90.

I would trade up to draft any of those 4 quarterbacks. And remember, I was the first person to state that if the Vikings wanted to draft JJ McCarthy they would almost certainly have to trade up to do so. Everyone thought I was crazy for making those claims.

The value line of how much I trade up depends upon what level of risk you are willing to take in losing out on one of the top 4 quarterbacks. There is a lot of risk in being "sniped" because there are so many QB needy teams in the top 10 and several others that are in the top 16. If a QB is sitting there at #6 do you think the Giants might take him? Or will the Raiders make a huge move up to #6 and draft the last one available?

I would draft Michael Penix at 23 if I could not trade up to get QB4. But if he goes in the top 22, there is a decent chance he does, then we missed out on him then.

I would not draft Nix. I think Sam Darnold > Bo Nix. And I would have no interest in drafting a midround or late round QB. I would just continue with Jaren Hall as the development backup for one more season. If they are not happy with Hall's progress they can address in a later round QB in the 2025 draft.

When it came down to it, I was the GM in the Froob draft. I traded #11, #23, 2025 3rd, plus 2026 first round pick to get to #5 and take JJ McCarthy. That is an A or an F draft no matter who else is drafted. It either works or it doesn't.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. That's a load of draft capital and I always feel confident I can hit first rounders. That's from my perspective you are giving up a bunch of good players for one guy.

I think JJ might have that winning gene that it takes to win it all so I'm more apt to do that, at the same time I've talked myself into Penix, Nix and rolling with Darnold and building the roster cause I think it's still got a ways to go. Not insanely far but that draft capital goes along ways.

At the end of the day the VIkings aren't going anywhere without a killer at QB. So whatever it takes to get that, not just a fantasy football stat stuffer but a guy that is so driven that he can compete at the highest levels of the league and win it all.
witljon

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 pm I think JJ might have that winning gene that it takes to win it all
USC went 7-5. Do you think Caleb Williams has that winning gene?
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:27 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 pm I think JJ might have that winning gene that it takes to win it all
Maybe, I hope not because he's going to the Bears.

It sucks when Joe Montana and Tom Brady are in your division not on your team.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Butch Bradford wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm I think you guys are getting a little hyperbolic here.
On a rookie scale contract, Alex Smith would be absolutely fantastic.
Don't sell these froobs short, O.

Every damn one of them is an NFL pro scout and talent evaluator.

Every. Damn. One.
Spoiler:
:lol:
Got to love it.

Political geniuses, business leaders, and the greatest lovers the world has ever known.

Froobchat. The elite of the elite...
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
witljon

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:30 pm
We should be okay as long as we get McCarthys winning gene.

:thinking: Or maybe it’s not so much a winning gene, and more of a Michigan squad that will have the most players drafted.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:10 pm

:thinking: Or maybe it’s not so much a winning gene, and more of a Michigan squad that will have the most players drafted.
Could be, but if you want to win multiple SB's the only way it's done is to have a savage winner at QB.

That's the mystery of the entire thing. It's not always the most talented super freak athlete either.

Some guys know how to win and some guys don't. Yet you can still be a good QB. Dan Marino is a good example... Phillips Rivers.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Everyone wants to overlook that part. “He’s a winner”. So was AJ McCarron.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:28 pm

Tim Tebow, Leinhart etc all were “Winners” too.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:34 pm
Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:28 pm

Tim Tebow, Leinhart etc all were “Winners” too.
I could be very wrong, but I’ve got a gut feeling that McCarthy drops in this draft.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

What do you mean “maybe?”

How can a guy who is barely .500 and never won anything be said to have the winning gene?

Clearly Williams is a loser and the Bears are making a catastrophic mistake.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

They were all winners at a lower level of competition. All the elite QB's were able to transition to the NFL and handle the speed of the game and pressure it presents. Most guys can't process at a fast enough rate, make good decisions and be accurate with the football at the NFL level consistently.

Most guys don't make it, some do. Some have winning energy, that's really what it is because everything is energy and vibration creating results.

I don't really see how else you can explain the true difference between the greats in any sport, some win and some don't. What is the underlying difference in why one guy wins and one doesn't?

Does god really favor one person over the other to chose a winner? I think it's all driven by the individual.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:46 pm

How can a guy who is barely .500 and never won anything be said to have the winning gene?

For whatever reason some guys chose to go to lesser talented schools. Usually it's some sort family thing or they like the area. Caleb might just really like California, he prob had offers from all over and I think he was first at another school.

Mahomes is a perfect example of going to a school that wasn't very talented but yet still found himself in a very good spot in the pros. Not by accident.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:53 pm

For whatever reason some guys chose to go to lesser talented schools. Usually it's some sort family thing or they like the area. Caleb might just really like California, he prob had offers from all over and I think he was first at another school.

Mahomes is a perfect example of going to a school that wasn't very talented but yet still found himself in a very good spot in the pros. Not by accident.
He committed to Oklahoma when Lincoln Riley was there, then followed him to USC.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Sounds kinda like what happen with Penix following one of his old coaches to Washington.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Mahomes was a 3 star recruit that had offers from Rice and Houston.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:00 pm

Mahomes was a 3 star recruit that had offers from Rice and Houston.
There ya go, some guys slip through the cracks or are late bloomers, look at Jefferson. 3 star recruit out of High School on a HOF trajectory.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

In other words, there’s a million different ways to be good and successful and your “winning gene” thing based on college W/L records is nonsense.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Caleb Williams has a strong Collin Kaepernick vibe. I predict that he will not have sustained success. He may do well for a couple/few years and then his attitude and sense of self-importance will get the better of him.