Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by D_H »

lol

NFL Insider @caplannfl says Michigan QB JJ McCarthy has been compared by NFL evaluators to Kenny Pickett “due to his inability to drive the ball down the field.”

“One personnel source did not grade him as a first-rounder due to some limitations in his game.”
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

I'm polarized by McCarthy.
You hear that he had the 2nd highest velocity next to Josh Allen.
Then you see him making tight windows throws in the deep middle of the field.
Yet in the game or combine the guy can't throw a 10 yard out.

He's the youngest of the bunch and definitely had the most room to grow, but man that's a risky investment in the top 5, which may take 3 years to mature.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

WHo has actually watched JJ McCarthy play and claim he cannot drive the ball down the field????
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Again, I think our staff wants maye and will try to move up for him, I just don’t think New England will move off of 3. Yes they have a ton of holes to fill and could use more draft picks, but they need a franchise qb and what sense does it make trading down in a strong qb class and deferring to next year when the class is supposed to be weak?

This leaves us with McCarthy. Higher risk but has a chance to succeed and will be available to us at 4 or 5. Penix and nix both have lower ceilings and will have shorter careers due to their ages and aren’t worth a 1st round investment imo.

You can post all the quotes you want dh, prepare yourself, McCarthy is going to be the pick
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:18 pm WHo has actually watched JJ McCarthy play and claim he cannot drive the ball down the field????
How many passes over 25 yards did McCarthy attempt?
And how many of them did he complete?
I can’t recall.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:27 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:18 pm WHo has actually watched JJ McCarthy play and claim he cannot drive the ball down the field????
I can’t recall.
HE completed 72% of his passes. He did everything the team asked him to do.

I don't know if I saw the that actual statistics.

Here is one that I have seen: 73% of McCarthy's passes resulted in a first down. Maye was next with 53% of his passes resulting in a first down.

AS far as the other poster's claim of 10 yard out, big fn deal. The 10 yard out from the wide hash is a dumb college throw, not a NFL throw. I do think that MCarthy needs to improve his throwing outside the numbers because his main problem is that he is a bit late in the throw. He needs to get into position to throw these ball quicker. IF you are late in the out route, you will have a tendency to leave the ball inside behind the receiver.

But he has the arm strength, more than any other QB in this top 5-6, to make this throw with more consistency than he showed.

Regardless, JJ McCarthy played in a very conservative college offense. They didn't need to heave the ball down the field like Washington did, letting their elite receivers win the 50-50 ball against lower level defenses, and with a QB that we elite at driving the ball between the numbers to keep their drives moving.  
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm
I can’t recall.

Here is one that I have seen: 73% of McCarthy's passes resulted in a first down. Maye was next with 53% of his passes resulting in a first down.

AS far as the other poster's claim of 10 yard out, big fn deal. The 10 yard out from the wide hash is a dumb college throw, not a NFL throw. I do think that MCarthy needs to improve his throwing outside the numbers because his main problem is that he is a bit late in the throw. He needs to get into position to throw these ball quicker. IF you are late in the out route, you will have a tendency to leave the ball inside behind the receiver.

But he has the arm strength, more than any other QB in this top 5-6, to make this throw with more consistency than he showed.

Regardless, JJ McCarthy played in a very conservative college offense. They didn't need to heave the ball down the field like Washington did, letting their elite receivers win the 50-50 ball against lower level defenses, and with a QB that we elite at driving the ball between the numbers to keep their drives moving.  
That does play well into our offense being based on the WCO. I think Kirk struggled with short throws. He was so good middle to deep that he made up for it. Those passes take longer to develop and played to Kirk holding the ball longer than most quarterbacks would in the pocket.

Gus Frerotte played the short to middle range well and got first downs. Favre, Bridgewater, George, and Keenum played the short yardage game. Some had better deep balls than others. And some have better receivers.

I see what you are saying about JJ. I am all about time of possession. Getting first downs. That is where I can see where the raw product of Maye is more of a crap shoot than McCarthy.

I don’t like that Maye’s stats went down this past season. I get the player difference, but still. Yellow flag.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:00 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm

I can’t recall.

That does play well into our offense being based on the WCO. I think Kirk struggled with short throws. He was so good middle to deep that he made up for it. Those passes take longer to develop and played to Kirk holding the ball longer than most quarterbacks would in the pocket.

Gus Frerotte played the short to middle range well and got first downs. Favre, Bridgewater, George, and Keenum played the short yardage game. Some had better deep balls than others. And some have better receivers.

I see what you are saying about JJ. I am all about time of possession. Getting first downs. That is where I can see where the raw product of Maye is more of a crap shoot than McCarthy.

I don’t like that Maye’s stats went down this past season. I get the player difference, but still. Yellow flag.
O’Connell talked about Maye and said he did better in 2022 vs 2023. But he also talked about why (loss of talent, new OC) and said he didn’t think it reflected poorly on Maye.

He also said that McCarthy had really good “3rd down” tape, which jives with what mlhouse says.

At this point, you’re not going to hear anything negative from a coach about any of these guys obviously, but I think you can learn something from what they say anyway, even if you know it’s only going to be positive.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tiki not a fan of JJ.

As the draft approaches, most of the takes focus on how great a guy will be. Few will risk a decade of reminders that they were wrong to doubt a player who ended up being great.

Tiki Barber is willing to roll the dice when it comes to former Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.

“J.J. McCarthy thing, I’m tired of hearing it,” Barber said Friday on his WFAN radio show, via Matt Ehalt of the New York Post. “Stop with the J.J. McCarthy thing. His film doesn’t say he’s a first-round quarterback. His film doesn’t say, ‘I need to get rid of all my assets and go draft this guy,’ because a lot of what he does doesn’t translate. The scheme that he ran at Michigan — and maybe this is an indictment on the scheme and not necessarily on him — but it didn’t highlight the things that you need to do, second-, third-level reads, multiple combo routes that you have to get correct. He didn’t do any of that stuff. They were run-based and he thrived in it because he was good at — that’s what Jim Harbaugh wanted him to do.”

Barber thinks the McCarthy hype boils down to Harbaugh, now the head coach of the Chargers, hoping that each of the four picks ahead of L.A. at No. 5 are quarterbacks. That will give the Chargers, as Harbaugh has said, essentially the first overall pick in the draft.

“The J.J. McCarthy thing, to me, is a smokescreen,” Barber said. “He’s getting inflated because Jim Harbaugh won’t stop talking about him. Now all of a sudden, he’s a top-four quarterback? I don’t buy it.”

With the Giants potentially taking a quarterback at No. 6, Barber wants his former NFL team to stay away.

“Not happening,” Barber said. “I’m just saying. Not happening. I don’t want him. Not happening.”

The truth is it’s impossible to know with certainty which players will thrive and which won’t at the NFL level. It’s notable that the league office, which wants the best of the best prospects at the draft, invited McCarthy to attend. (He declined.)

The league invited only four quarterbacks to Detroit — McCarthy, Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye.

McCarthy likely will go in round one. Whether he’s boom or bust is a mystery, and it will be driven by plenty of factors. At this point, the teams don’t have a crystal ball. Barber definitely doesn’t.

If he’s right, he will have made a lucky guess. If he’s wrong, he might never hear the end of it.

Reasonable minds can disagree with Tiki’s evaluation, but he’s entitled to it.

However, I think he’s just wrong that all the JJ hype is coming from Harbaugh. There are plenty of pundits who are hyping McCarthy who don’t have anything to do with Harbaugh, the Chargers, Michigan, or JJ himself.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:17 pm Tiki not a fan of JJ.

As the draft approaches, most of the takes focus on how great a guy will be. Few will risk a decade of reminders that they were wrong to doubt a player who ended up being great.

Tiki Barber is willing to roll the dice when it comes to former Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.

“J.J. McCarthy thing, I’m tired of hearing it,” Barber said Friday on his WFAN radio show, via Matt Ehalt of the New York Post. “Stop with the J.J. McCarthy thing. His film doesn’t say he’s a first-round quarterback. His film doesn’t say, ‘I need to get rid of all my assets and go draft this guy,’ because a lot of what he does doesn’t translate. The scheme that he ran at Michigan — and maybe this is an indictment on the scheme and not necessarily on him — but it didn’t highlight the things that you need to do, second-, third-level reads, multiple combo routes that you have to get correct. He didn’t do any of that stuff. They were run-based and he thrived in it because he was good at — that’s what Jim Harbaugh wanted him to do.”

Barber thinks the McCarthy hype boils down to Harbaugh, now the head coach of the Chargers, hoping that each of the four picks ahead of L.A. at No. 5 are quarterbacks. That will give the Chargers, as Harbaugh has said, essentially the first overall pick in the draft.

“The J.J. McCarthy thing, to me, is a smokescreen,” Barber said. “He’s getting inflated because Jim Harbaugh won’t stop talking about him. Now all of a sudden, he’s a top-four quarterback? I don’t buy it.”

With the Giants potentially taking a quarterback at No. 6, Barber wants his former NFL team to stay away.

“Not happening,” Barber said. “I’m just saying. Not happening. I don’t want him. Not happening.”

The truth is it’s impossible to know with certainty which players will thrive and which won’t at the NFL level. It’s notable that the league office, which wants the best of the best prospects at the draft, invited McCarthy to attend. (He declined.)

The league invited only four quarterbacks to Detroit — McCarthy, Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye.

McCarthy likely will go in round one. Whether he’s boom or bust is a mystery, and it will be driven by plenty of factors. At this point, the teams don’t have a crystal ball. Barber definitely doesn’t.

If he’s right, he will have made a lucky guess. If he’s wrong, he might never hear the end of it.

Reasonable minds can disagree with Tiki’s evaluation, but he’s entitled to it.

However, I think he’s just wrong that all the JJ hype is coming from Harbaugh. There are plenty of pundits who are hyping McCarthy who don’t have anything to do with Harbaugh, the Chargers, Michigan, or JJ himself.
Exactly.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I can’t recall.
I saw a stat (do not remember the source) about completion percentage on throw 25 yards +. Williams, Maye, Daniels and Penix were all at and above 66%. McCarthy was about 38%.
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 am
I can’t recall.
I saw a stat (do not remember the source) about completion percentage on throw 25 yards +. Williams, Maye, Daniels and Penix were all at and above 66%. McCarthy was about 38%.
Yeah, I don’t know the numbers, but I just don’t remember McCarthy throwing down field much in the games I watched. Michigan seemed kinda conservative with long clock eating drives
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:57 am

I can’t recall.
Yeah, I don’t know the numbers, but I just don’t remember McCarthy throwing down field much in the games I watched. Michigan seemed kinda conservative with long clock eating drives
The weird thing is that McCarthy was also the best at completion percentage from 10-20 yards.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

William Munny wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 am

The weird thing is that McCarthy was also the best at completion percentage from 10-20 yards.
So back to Teddy Bridgewater?

Which you can win with if Flores stays here and we build around defense, but if he leaves….

I am all about time of possession and defensive football. Today’s NFL requires precision and deep passes. We watched the game change even during Cousins’ time here.

I don’t know if the fans here and out HC want to play ball control football. KOC has struggled with the screen game and running game during his time here. But it could have been that things were designed around Cousins more as well (mid-deep range throws)?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:53 am

Which you can win with if Flores stays here and we build around defense, but if he leaves….

I am all about time of possession and defensive football. Today’s NFL requires precision and deep passes. We watched the game change even during Cousins’ time here.

I don’t know if the fans here and out HC want to play ball control football. KOC has struggled with the screen game and running game during his time here. But it could have been that things were designed around Cousins more as well (mid-deep range throws)?
Totally disagree with your football philosophy. The main problem is with the way the game is shaped today you aren't going to be able to create those defenses that can stop high level offenses. The rules and talents are offensive orientated. And, as we saw in MInnesota even when you put together a #1 defense like we did in 2017, that defense is almost impossible to sustain and as we saw in the 2017 NFC Championship game, every defense has weaknesses.

On the flip side of that, as we saw in the Zimmer era, having that ground pounding time of possession game doesn't work because it is much easier on defense to stop the run than the pass AND, the NFL officials are much more likely to call holding penalties on running plays than passing plays (it should be the other way around). What that offensive philosophy puts you in is consistent bad down and distance situations. We had years and years of that in with Zimmer.

The way to win in the NFL is pretty simple in my opinion: you must be willing to attack the middle of the field vertically. If you can force the opponent out of playing two deep zones and into middle closed with the safety deep in coverage, it opens up everything in your play book, including the running game.
R403

Post by R403 »

I can’t recall.
You could kind of tell by watching the national championship game they didn’t want anything to do with McCarthy determining the outcome of the game.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:16 pm

Totally disagree with your football philosophy. The main problem is with the way the game is shaped today you aren't going to be able to create those defenses that can stop high level offenses. The rules and talents are offensive orientated. And, as we saw in MInnesota even when you put together a #1 defense like we did in 2017, that defense is almost impossible to sustain and as we saw in the 2017 NFC Championship game, every defense has weaknesses.

On the flip side of that, as we saw in the Zimmer era, having that ground pounding time of possession game doesn't work because it is much easier on defense to stop the run than the pass AND, the NFL officials are much more likely to call holding penalties on running plays than passing plays (it should be the other way around). What that offensive philosophy puts you in is consistent bad down and distance situations. We had years and years of that in with Zimmer.

The way to win in the NFL is pretty simple in my opinion: you must be willing to attack the middle of the field vertically. If you can force the opponent out of playing two deep zones and into middle closed with the safety deep in coverage, it opens up everything in your play book, including the running game.
I don’t necessarily still subscribe to defensive football in today’s NFL. What KOC did with Kirk was pretty amazing in itself his first year here. It ran its course though. Kirk was great over the middle and deep. Those passes take longer to develop and Cousins struggled with the pocket at times.

So in reference to having a guy like JJ as our quarterback, our staff would need to see if him throwing deeper can be achieved. It took Teddy several years to improve his deep accuracy and never did develop into a starter.

Maye’s deep balls would be picked off more than Dobbs at this point. His deeper passes sailed in videos I watched.

We are gonna need Darnold to step up.

But who knows?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:37 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:16 pm

I don’t necessarily still subscribe to defensive football in today’s NFL. What KOC did with Kirk was pretty amazing in itself his first year here. It ran its course though. Kirk was great over the middle and deep. Those passes take longer to develop and Cousins struggled with the pocket at times.

So in reference to having a guy like JJ as our quarterback, our staff would need to see if him throwing deeper can be achieved. It took Teddy several years to improve his deep accuracy and never did develop into a starter.

Maye’s deep balls would be picked off more than Dobbs at this point. His deeper passes sailed in videos I watched.

We are gonna need Darnold to step up.

But who knows?
The modern passing game is developed between the numbers. And McCarthy might be the best QB in this draft on those throws so required in the NFL.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lolololololollo

NFL Scout:

The Wolverines were 15-0 last season.

They did it with the No. 43 passing offense in the Division I FBS. The Wolverines were 40th in third-down conversions, with a 42.77 conversion percentage. They were 66th in third down pass attempts, which suggest Harbaugh did not want to put the ball in McCarthy's hands on the biggest passing down.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Lololololololollo

"Let's keep Doobs for five years."

to

"I know what QB is best for the Vikings."

Minnesota Vikings, please draft JJ McCarthy. It is a lock now.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
D_H

Post by D_H »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm Lololololololollo

to

No chance I find it very difficult to believe Kevin O’Connell is that stupid.

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
D_H

Post by D_H »

Caleb Williams, Heisman Trophy winner

Jaden Daniels, Heisman Trophy winner

Drake Maye, comparisons to Justin Herbert and Josh Allen

JJ McCarthy, a bunch mock drafts tell you he’s going to be really good but we really don’t know but take our word for it

lol
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

to

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
Ha don’t even bother with him. He’s been mind fucked so bad by us that he now openly roots against his team to “Stick it to us” :lol:

He doesn’t get that we have accomplished exactly what we were looking to do. Imagine watching Vikings games and thinking and commenting about us. Yikes. :lol:

Some take this a bit too serious.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 pm Caleb Williams, Heisman Trophy winner

Jaden Daniels, Heisman Trophy winner

Drake Maye, comparisons to Justin Herbert and Josh Allen

JJ McCarthy, a bunch mock drafts tell you he’s going to be really good but we really don’t know but take our word for it

lol
"Lock up Dobbs for five years everybody! Lock him up!! I know football. I run this place."
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm

to

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
Ha don’t even bother with him. He’s been mind fucked so bad by us that he now openly roots against his team to “Stick it to us” :lol:

He doesn’t get that we have accomplished exactly what we were looking to do. Imagine watching Vikings games and thinking and commenting about us. Yikes. :lol:

Some take this a bit too serious.
I get it he’s unhinged lol
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

to

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
Chad Henne was the real deal before injury. Big time arm and smart with the ball.
D_H

Post by D_H »

William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm

to

Chad Henne 2.0 AT BEST
Chad Henne was the real deal before injury. Big time arm and smart with the ball.
Lol
witljon

Post by witljon »

R403 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm

You could kind of tell by watching the national championship game they didn’t want anything to do with McCarthy determining the outcome of the game.
I don’t know if it had anything to do with confidence in McCarthy. Michigan played with a lead and a dominant run game. Like most of the season, there was no need to give McCarthy an opportunity to lead the team to victory. I would have liked to see more from McCarthy, but that does not mean he can’t do it.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 pm

I don’t know if it had anything to do with confidence in McCarthy. Michigan played with a lead and a dominant run game. Like most of the season, there was no need to give McCarthy an opportunity to lead the team to victory. I would have liked to see more from McCarthy, but that does not mean he can’t do it.
Thats my problem with trading up for him. You “Think” he can do it but no one has seen the guy have to throw 30+ times a game and carry a team on his back, something that he is going to have to do as much as any QB in the league in KOCs offense. The QB is asked to do a lot here and he hasn’t shown anyone he can do it.

I’m fine if he is picked at #11 and it’s still not some great pick at that point for me but trading up for him isn’t what I want to see happen. I’m only trading up for one of the top 3 and sitting put if I can’t get one of them. If this staff thinks JJ is the best out of tier #2 and take him at #11, I can live with that. Trading up for him isn’t good value imo though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 pm

Thats my problem with trading up for him. You “Think” he can do it but no one has seen the guy have to throw 30+ times a game and carry a team on his back, something that he is going to have to do as much as any QB in the league in KOCs offense. The QB is asked to do a lot here and he hasn’t shown anyone he can do it.

I’m fine if he is picked at #11 and it’s still not some great pick at that point for me but trading up for him isn’t what I want to see happen. I’m only trading up for one of the top 3 and sitting put if I can’t get one of them. If this staff thinks JJ is the best out of tier #2 and take him at #11, I can live with that. Trading up for him isn’t good value imo though.
The JJ fans don’t like to hear game manager, but that’s exactly what he was in college. He did make some big throws when he had to. The question is, can/will he be more in the pros? I did not get convinced, but I tried.
Last edited by witljon on Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.