Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by D_H »

The Vikings prefer Maye made by a longshot

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minn ... rywfDonald

Lol

Minnesota Vikings prefer to spend more on Drake Maye than land JJ McCarthy for less
D_H

Post by D_H »

McCarthy was simply pedestrian in the national title game, completing 10-18 passes for 140 yards and zero touchdowns. He didn’t throw an interception, but the ground game carried the Wolverines with four total touchdowns.

Chad Henne 2.0 book it

Like Jason McIntyre said on the herd, the hype is strictly coming from JJ McCarthy’s camp no one else.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I prefer Maye, I think we get McCarthy
D_H

Post by D_H »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm I prefer Maye, I think we get McCarthy

The Vikings are not foolish and enough to trade for this turd. Like Jason McIntyre said the hype is coming from JJ McCarthy‘s camp not NFL personnel - that’s important.

Scout on JJ McCarthy

I've watched a lot of tape and my opinion of McCarthy just keeps going down. He abandons the pocket early because he can't make quick enough reads. His field vision is poor even at college speeds. Every highlight reel play he has is a broken play scramble with one possible target. Very rarely did he even go through progressions. That's a huge red flag. His arm talent is lacking too. His deep ball is all over the place. Outside throws sail on him. Wide open receives are rarely hit in stride. His touch pass dies early. This is one case where college success does not look like it translates to the NFL. Not for a team who needs someone to start now.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Did McCarthy do something to you DH? Starting to think it’s personal between the two of you. I’d prefer to gamble on maye over McCarthy also but each prospect has a fair amount of concerns to them and I don’t see the gap between the two as big as you do.
D_H

Post by D_H »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm Did McCarthy do something to you DH? Starting to think it’s personal between the two of you. I’d prefer to gamble on maye over McCarthy also but each prospect has a fair amount of concerns to them and I don’t see the gap between the two as big as you do.
I don’t want another Chad Henne or Christian ponder and that’s what this guy is.

Go look at the tape against Bowling Green basically a division two team - he threw three interceptions, and it could’ve easily been five. He looked severely in over his skis against a bad Washington team. Do actually think if JJ McCarthy was the quarterback for Washington they would’ve made it to the national championship game??? There is no way in hell. Don’t you find it interesting before the NFL combine he was projected as a second round pick and he really did nothing at the combine. Michael Penix Junior was the talk of the combine not JJ McCarthy. Like Jason McIntyre said about a week ago on The Herd it’s JJ McCarthy’s camp putting out propaganda - not NFL personnel. There’s a big difference.

JJ McCarthy versus a very ordinary Maryland team

https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... /401520410

Lol

That’s three completely horseshit games against three horrible defenses. Lol
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This is seriously a question?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I have flip flopped all over the place with McCarthy in terms of moving up to get him or not, letting it ride out... I would only take him at 11 or later... ect

The more and more I look into McCarthy the more I get sold on his future projection. I can watch his tapes and see things I don't like mixed in with some really good stuff to amazing. What I like most is that he is good bottom line but his character and work ethic I think is through the roof. He's got all the tools and he's a very athletic QB. I think he's one of those guys that's gonna do what the other guys aren't going to do to get better and better. When I think about this guy at age 25 or 26 he could be a flat out super star.

Drake Maye to me is very talented with his arm, he's got this ability to just throw nice footballs with the right touch for the right situations. He's a big guy with solid athleticism. I personally do not like his interviews and if I was a GM and my job was on the line I'm putting it in the hands of McCarthy not Drake Maye. So that pretty much answers the question of the thread.

Their both very young QB's and both talented. I would say the pressure numbers everyone is talking about is very interesting. Maye's are very bad while McCarthy is seemingly able to handle it much better. McCarthy's 3rd down efficiency is apparently better than anyone by a long shot in the last two drafts. That's amazing and it tells you that the guy makes the play when it's most important and to top that off he won it all.

If JJ had blew it completely against the great teams he faced like Ohio State, Alabama and at the finish line this past championship I would agree that the Bowling Green game would be very concerning. I look at that as a bad day in the office, everyone has them. The game he lost to win big last year... Threw 2 pick sixes but battled back and gave them a chance. Essentially a Freshman, not a seasoned college player so to expect perfection out of the gate in his career at age 20 in the SEC is wild.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm I prefer Maye, I think we get McCarthy
I want Maye and I don’t like JJ much at all. JJ might be the best guy in tier 2 or maybe he isn’t but I’m just not trading up to get him.

I personally wouldn’t draft him even if he’s there at #11 but if they did draft him there, I’ll live with it and hope he pans out. Just don’t trade down for any of the tier 2 guys. I’m starting to like Nix more and more as the top of tier 2 but there are arguments for all of them in this range.

If there is a possible trade into the top 3, I’m giving whatever it takes to get up there.

The drop off from the top 3 to tier 2 is SIGNIFICANT. THINK IT AINT?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm
I want Maye and I don’t like JJ much at all. JJ might be the best guy in tier 2 or maybe he isn’t but I’m just not trading up to get him.

I personally wouldn’t draft him even if he’s there at #11 but if they did draft him there, I’ll live with it and hope he pans out. Just don’t trade down for any of the tier 2 guys. I’m starting to like Nix more and more as the top of tier 2 but there are arguments for all of them in this range.

If there is a possible trade into the top 3, I’m giving whatever it takes to get up there.

The drop off from the top 3 to tier 2 is SIGNIFICANT. THINK IT AINT?

We're gonna find out for sure in about 3-5 years.

The way these guys get drafted is probably not gonna be the way they rank in real life. Happens everytime.

With as heavy is this class is there could even be a deep sleeper.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am
Guns. LowT
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Until the Vikings actually do trade into #3 or higher, JJ McCarthy is the only possible QB pick. I am not buying Penix or Nix being considered.
D_H

Post by D_H »

William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:05 am Until the Vikings actually do trade into #3 or higher, JJ McCarthy is the only possible QB pick. I am not buying Penix or Nix being considered.
Here is the way Scouts are looking at him not some dude that writes for a website.

During the national championship game JJ McCarthy was basically asked not to do anything. It was obvious his coach did not have confidence in him. If that’s the case he’s not starting quarterback.

Chad Henne 2.0

By the way, Michael Penix Junior was the most impressive quarterback at the combine so I’m not sure what you mean? Fran Tarkenton and Phil Simms absolutely love Nix - You know guys that have actually played in the NFL. Lol
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Seeing the resident dopes come on here and act like they know how to evaluate a college QB and build their opinions off of other evaluators kinda makes me want McCarthy now.

Nobody knows shit.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:27 am
William Munny wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:05 am Until the Vikings actually do trade into #3 or higher, JJ McCarthy is the only possible QB pick. I am not buying Penix or Nix being considered.
Here is the way Scouts are looking at him not some dude that writes for a website.

During the national championship game JJ McCarthy was basically asked not to do anything. It was obvious his coach did not have confidence in him. If that’s the case he’s not starting quarterback.

Chad Henne 2.0

By the way, Michael Penix Junior was the most impressive quarterback at the combine so I’m not sure what you mean? Fran Tarkenton and Phil Simms absolutely love Nix - You know guys that have actually played in the NFL. Lol
Lol, I guess we will see. Will you still stick around when/if McCarthy is the pick?
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lololololo

JJ McCarthy camp really trying too hard lol

Could the Chicago Bears pick J.J. McCarthy instead of Caleb Williams?

Most NFL draftniks expect the Chicago Bears to select former USC quarterback Caleb Williams with the No. 1 overall pick. While there was a lot of speculation over the past year that Williams strongly desired to not be selected by the NFC North franchise, there’s one player in the 2024 NFL draft who would happily play for the Bears.

Former Michigan football QB J.J. McCarthy.

Of course, McCarthy would want to be a No. 1 overall pick and it appears unlikely that will happen, at least based on current discourse. But that’s not the only reason why he’d want to go to that franchise. McCarthy is a Chicago native who grew up rooting for the Bears and dreaming of suiting up and playing in Soldier Field as the hometown quarterback.

His agent is just trying too hard! Lol

I guess they think if they keep on repeating the same lies people will eventually believe it
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I imagine the FO will have a closer look at JJ when he comes to town right?

I hope they bring in all of the QB's after the top two projected. If you are going to gamble, better do your homework.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

JMac weekend upcoming... We might know alot more by Monday.

Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am JMac weekend upcoming... We might know alot more by Monday.

Well, gee whiz...I hope Kevin and Kwesi check in here first to see what people think. Posters here have a shrewd eye when it comes to QB potential. Much more than an NFL coach who played the position and understands the complexity of an NFL offense.

"You know what I see when I see Drake Maye...Mitch Trubizky! Same school too! Because I read it somewhere on the internet."
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
D_H

Post by D_H »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am JMac weekend upcoming... We might know alot more by Monday.

Lol

This is a news. They will do that for the top 10 quarterbacks.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am

Lol

You should travel there to sabotage it! You could heckle him with triggering comments from the stands.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

minnemike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:14 am

Lol

You should travel there to sabotage it! You could heckle him with triggering comments from the stands.
"HA! Duck DUUUUUCK quaaaack!" "HAPPY FEET!" "WEAKSAUCE CADENCE!"
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sarge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:30 am

Lol

lol

This is all anyone needs to see! 3 picks vs Bowling Green lol should have been 5. Balls under thrown all over the place.

https://youtu.be/5oLnTKHlMAw?si=y7jxPzGuBAyFfCxe

Chad Henne 2.0 at best.

Like I said, all this recent hype is coming from his camp, not NFL personnel.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Chad Henne 2.0

Phil Simms evals are one of my favorite parts of the draft process.

I was really surprised at what I saw with Drake Maye. He just not in love at all. I think he should re-do but basically he's saying the same thing as Merril Hodge at the end of the day. He believes the guy is so erratic throwing the ball that he's not gonna amount to much as an NFL QB.

The arm talent with Drake Maye when he's on is really phenomenal. So I'm curious as to who in the past drafts had some erratic accuracy issues that was able to clean it up in the pros. Hodges basically says it's almost impossible to fix it and it rarely does iron itself out.

Apparently Kurt Warner has serious concerns as well but I haven't gotten to finish his breakdown. I'm not crazy about the small sample sizes you get from one game breakdown because they go so in depth it can be 30 min on one game. Where I can watch 3 games in 30 minutes but it's still interesting to hear their take.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 pm

Chad Henne 2.0

Phil Simms evals are one of my favorite parts of the draft process.

I was really surprised at what I saw with Drake Maye. He just not in love at all. I think he should re-do but basically he's saying the same thing as Merril Hodge at the end of the day. He believes the guy is so erratic throwing the ball that he's not gonna amount to much as an NFL QB.

The arm talent with Drake Maye when he's on is really phenomenal. So I'm curious as to who in the past drafts had some erratic accuracy issues that was able to clean it up in the pros. Hodges basically says it's almost impossible to fix it and it rarely does iron itself out.

Apparently Kurt Warner has serious concerns as well but I haven't gotten to finish his breakdown. I'm not crazy about the small sample sizes you get from one game breakdown because they go so in depth it can be 30 min on one game. Where I can watch 3 games in 30 minutes but it's still interesting to hear their take.
Some of those same guys say that Williams is going to be a massive bust also.

Truth is, nobody knows. Hardest position in sports to evaluate. Another thing you can guarantee is most of these guys won’t pan out.

You must IDENTIFY.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Whoa

Thank you… fuck you… bye!
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 am
Sarge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:30 am

lol

This is all anyone needs to see! 3 picks vs Bowling Green lol should have been 5. Balls under thrown all over the place.

https://youtu.be/5oLnTKHlMAw?si=y7jxPzGuBAyFfCxe

Chad Henne 2.0 at best.

Like I said, all this recent hype is coming from his camp, not NFL personnel.
That's all anyone needs to see? That's ridiculous man, nobody takes that serious DH. Patrick Mahomes once threw 4 interceptions against Oklahoma.

That's all we need to see! Well yea if that's you saw then you missed out on the whole eval.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Chad Henne 2.0

I think if the Vikings get their choice of tier 2, they are likely to go JJ. Nix might also be in consideration. You never hear anything about Penix being linked to them.

I honestly don’t care which one of the tier 2 they draft just as long as they don’t reach for a guy in this bracket. I trade up for one of the big 3 and I sit put for the rest.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master