Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by RubeTube »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:19 pm
R403 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm On espn radio

It is a believed Minnesota is willing to trade up to get Jaden Daniels or Drake Maye using three first round picks, but they do not see JJ McCarthy in that same light and will not give up assets to get him.
I bet you dollars to doughnuts that if Williams, Daniels and Maye go 1-3, then the Kwesi/Vikes will pay 3 firsts to trade up to get McCarthy.
Has any team ever given up 3 1sts for the 4th QB in a draft? That’s fucking terrible. Even both 1sts to move up is too much for JJ imo but that is at least realistic.

There is no way they are trading 3 1sts for JJ.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 pm

It is a believed Minnesota is willing to trade up to get Jaden Daniels or Drake Maye using three first round picks, but they do not see JJ McCarthy in that same light and will not give up assets to get him.
I bet you dollars to doughnuts that if Williams, Daniels and Maye go 1-3, then the Kwesi/Vikes will pay 3 firsts to trade up to get McCarthy.
Has any team ever given up 3 1sts for the 4th QB in a draft? That’s fucking terrible. Even both 1sts to move up is too much for JJ imo but that is at least realistic.

I pray they are not that stupid! I am not even trading at all to get him
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 pm

I pray they are not that stupid! I am not even trading at all to get him
I mean it’s the Vikings. I just get the feeling it will be shit QB. We have never had a top prospect or top young QB since close to the beginning of this franchise.

Could a guy like JJ, Penix, Nix etc end up being really good? Sure. That group is still on the level of the Teddy Turdwaters, David Carr, Crapolo etc caliber of QB. You know, a guy who MIGHT be starting caliber if all goes right but isn’t good enough to ever get you over the top. Then in a few years you either start this process all over, go sign a retread or give starting money to a mid level QB.

I can’t take anymore of that. I haven’t been truly excited for this team since the Favre era and possibly 2018 but that was short lived.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Oh my gosh there’s no way they’re giving up three first round draft picks for that turd. I don’t even think he’s the fourth best quarterback in the draft, nor does Kurt Warner. I have Penix and Nix ahead of JJ McCarthy. JJ McCarthy will be a solid backup in the NFL. Unfortunately, if some idiot GM listens to the mock drafters, they will be fired for selecting this turd. Have yet to hear, or read one positive thing about JJ McCarthy from former NFL quarterbacks and that’s whose opinion I trust the most they played the position. JJ McCarthy was considered at best A second round draft going into the national championship game and he shit the bed against a bad Washington D. What did he do to move up?? lol the hype is coming from his camp, not NFL people.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 pm
Butch Bradford wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm
Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 pm

I want my favorite football team to draft a decent QB. Shocking, I know.
One with a better haircut? :shrug:
Is that too much to ask?
:lol: :beer:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

Oh my gosh there’s no way they’re giving up three first round draft picks for that turd. I don’t even think he’s the fourth best quarterback in the draft, nor does Kurt Warner. I have Penix and Nix ahead of JJ McCarthy. JJ McCarthy will be a solid backup in the NFL. Unfortunately, if some idiot GM listens to the mock drafters, they will be fired for selecting this turd. Have yet to hear, or read one positive thing about JJ McCarthy from former NFL quarterbacks and that’s whose opinion I trust the most they played the position. JJ McCarthy was considered at best A second round draft going into the national championship game and he shit the bed against a bad Washington D. What did he do to move up?? lol the hype is coming from his camp, not NFL people.
I agree but we are desperate and EVERYONE knows it.

The whole entire talk of this draft even nationally is us moving up for a QB. We ARE the story of this draft.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

I agree but we are desperate and EVERYONE knows it.

The whole entire talk of this draft even nationally is us moving up for a QB. We ARE the story of this draft.

I wouldn’t give up three first round draft picks for any of the quarterback in the draft including Williams. Remember, Mitchell Torbinski was the second pic in the draft! Lol The hit rate is about 20% — simply not worth the risk. Stay at 11 and 23.

Sam Darnold was the third pick in the draft who saying in the right system He can’t be an above average quarterback.

For crying out loud Pat Mahomes was the 11th pick the draft and had a losing college record.
Last edited by D_H on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm

Depends where you think we will be picking... but I will say Maye isn't worth taking high either... AND JJ might be on some limited level but not worth the cost of a trade to get there IMO.
Versus who else do you want to draft? That is the #1 reason I would trade up to get either Maye or McCarthy. Both are substantialy better prospects than the players available at 11 and 23. Maybe if this draft had several high quality players at CB, Edge, DT. But there really isn't anyone at those positions that are at that level.

Its a risk with a big downside. But that is the opportunity in the 2024 draft that might not be available in 2025 or onwards. PLus I would rather do it now at a mediocre spot than tank tank tank to the top of the draft.
If it only costs 11 and 23 sure, but I wouldn't trade a future 1st for any QB we are realistically talking about. Moreover we probably don't plan on starting a QB we would take, meaning we might just tank, tank, tank...as I don't think we will be very good this year. This is why I wouldn't trade a 2025 first.

Now, say we can move up for 11 and 23 to get who we want, next year if we are really bad we can trade that pick at the least, but there is no value in trading knowing this season will be a likely struggle, that we won't be starting the player we pick and you loose the primary benefit of being bad. It probably makes it worse this is a team that has middled for years and never really had the benefit of a top pick should that happen. It is definitely the type of move that gets you fired if you are wrong and sucks the air out of the room from a marketing perspective. So, yes it is a risk should it not pan out.
If Sam stays healthy with this lineup we could have a strong probability of 7-9 wins 9(I havent really looked at the schedule). That puts us right in the same draft range we are in now in a draft that almost certainly will not have 4 potential franchise QBs, another like Penix that is a fringe level potential. Not every draft has 5 qbs I would consider drafting in the first round.

AND AGAIN, if after 4 quarterbacks were selected inside the top 10 (maybe even top 6) there was some stud player at a position of need it might be a different story. But all of the top end talent in this draft is at QB, WR, and OT. I can see a scenario in which we decide to take a OT if we strike out at QB because that would potentially be BPA and going forward we probably need to replace Brian ONeill.

But is that the best scenario? It isn't in my book. I want one of the franchise guys. The shot is there, take it.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm

Versus who else do you want to draft? That is the #1 reason I would trade up to get either Maye or McCarthy. Both are substantialy better prospects than the players available at 11 and 23. Maybe if this draft had several high quality players at CB, Edge, DT. But there really isn't anyone at those positions that are at that level.

Its a risk with a big downside. But that is the opportunity in the 2024 draft that might not be available in 2025 or onwards. PLus I would rather do it now at a mediocre spot than tank tank tank to the top of the draft.
If it only costs 11 and 23 sure, but I wouldn't trade a future 1st for any QB we are realistically talking about. Moreover we probably don't plan on starting a QB we would take, meaning we might just tank, tank, tank...as I don't think we will be very good this year. This is why I wouldn't trade a 2025 first.

Now, say we can move up for 11 and 23 to get who we want, next year if we are really bad we can trade that pick at the least, but there is no value in trading knowing this season will be a likely struggle, that we won't be starting the player we pick and you loose the primary benefit of being bad. It probably makes it worse this is a team that has middled for years and never really had the benefit of a top pick should that happen. It is definitely the type of move that gets you fired if you are wrong and sucks the air out of the room from a marketing perspective. So, yes it is a risk should it not pan out.
If Sam stays healthy with this lineup we could have a strong probability of 7-9 wins 9(I havent really looked at the schedule). That puts us right in the same draft range we are in now in a draft that almost certainly will not have 4 potential franchise QBs, another like Penix that is a fringe level potential. Not every draft has 5 qbs I would consider drafting in the first round.

AND AGAIN, if after 4 quarterbacks were selected inside the top 10 (maybe even top 6) there was some stud player at a position of need it might be a different story. But all of the top end talent in this draft is at QB, WR, and OT. I can see a scenario in which we decide to take a OT if we strike out at QB because that would potentially be BPA and going forward we probably need to replace Brian ONeill.

But is that the best scenario? It isn't in my book. I want one of the franchise guys. The shot is there, take it.
I want one of the franchise guys too…. There are only 3 of them though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

For the JJ McCarthy ball suckers give it up. There is no way the Vikings are dumb enough to give up three first draft picks for that guy you can forget about it. It simply preposterous.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Pssst

I would not take anything this guy says too seriously he compared JJ McCarthy Skillset to Josh Allen !! Lolololo

Seriously when he typed that I had to go back and read it three times I thought my eyes were deceiving me! Lol
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Bill money is trolling
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The great thing is everyone can have an opinion. For example, you liked Trey Lance.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:40 pm

Pssst

I would not take anything this guy says too seriously he compared JJ McCarthy Skillset to Josh Allen !! Lolololo

Seriously when he typed that I had to go back and read it three times I thought my eyes were deceiving me! Lol
Best arm talent in the draft with excellent mobility. Definitely Josh Allen as a comp.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm

The great thing is everyone can have an opinion. For example, you liked Trey Lance.
I liked Trey Lance in that group of QBs. I never liked Lance at the price they paid and I also never thought he was probably going to turn into a superstar. I did however like him more than Jones. That whole QB draft was weak.

I would take Maye over Williams. We will see what happens. I’ve been wrong about many QBs and right about many. GMs don’t even know how to get the position right most times.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:51 pm

Pssst

Best arm talent in the draft with excellent mobility. Definitely Josh Allen as a comp.
Lololololololllolo

You can’t possibly believe that??
Last edited by D_H on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Pssst

Every single person on the Rich Eisen show shares this sentiment. They absolutely love him. DH has put all of his eggs in the Kurt Warner basket and nothing else. You'll never change his mind. They were discussing that Tom Brady loves him too. Maybe that's just a Michigan alum thing?
"You can tweet that."
D_H

Post by D_H »

BigInflateable wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm

Pssst

Every single person on the Rich Eisen show shares this sentiment. They absolutely love him. DH has put all of his eggs in the Kurt Warner basket and nothing else. You'll never change his mind. They were discussing that Tom Brady loves him too. Maybe that's just a Michigan alum thing?
Rich Eisen show lol

Well, Jim Harbaugh did say he was the best quarterback in the draft lol

If so, do you think Jim Harbaugh would trade Justin Herbert for the rights to JJ McCarthy? Lololololo

Don’t be ridiculous. This guy is a back up NFL quarterback Chad Henne 2.0.
Last edited by D_H on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 pm

I liked Trey Lance in that group of QBs. I never liked Lance at the price they paid and I also never thought he was probably going to turn into a superstar. I did however like him more than Jones. That whole QB draft was weak.

I would take Maye over Williams. We will see what happens. I’ve been wrong about many QBs and right about many. GMs don’t even know how to get the position right most times.
There are things to like about Maye for sure, but he played pretty bad last season. Very inconsistent and very inaccurate. Terrible footwork and lots of happy feet. I can see that there are NFL scouts who would not draft Maye. I think his problems are correctable and you have a prototypical sized NFL QB at 6-4, 230 with good arm strength. I think Maye's mobility is overrated because he isn't elusive and quick, and takes a long time to build up momentum. And he will take some vicious hits in the NFL if he runs.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

There are things to like about Maye for sure, but he played pretty bad last season. Very inconsistent and very inaccurate. Terrible footwork and lots of happy feet. I can see that there are NFL scouts who would not draft Maye. I think his problems are correctable and you have a prototypical sized NFL QB at 6-4, 230 with good arm strength. I think Maye's mobility is overrated because he isn't elusive and quick, and takes a long time to build up momentum. And he will take some vicious hits in the NFL if he runs.
You compared JJ McCarthy skill set to Josh Allen no one really puts any stock in your opinion

I mean seriously that is simply outrageous lol
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KOC is rumored to think he can fix his footwork. The ceiling is massively higher with Maye than JJ imo if you can fix it and that’s why I have him much higher.

A lot of the same things being said about Maye were said about Allen and Herbert also.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

So, why is McCarthy a potential bust candidate? He was surrounded by a stellar supporting cast at Michigan that allowed him to be a high-end game manager.

It brings up questions about what McCarthy can accomplish at the NFL level, especially if he isn't surrounded by as strong of a running game or blocking unit as he had in college. Many NFL scouts question whether he has the arm strength to make all the throws necessary.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm

KOC is rumored to think he can fix his footwork. The ceiling is massively higher with Maye than JJ imo if you can fix it and that’s why I have him much higher.

A lot of the same things being said about Maye were said about Allen and Herbert also.
Josh Allen was a sub 55% thrower at Wyoming. He was pure upside pick.

And I don't see Maye's upside any higher than McCarthy's if you fix the couple of issues with JJ. JJ McCarthy is the best QB in this draft for the throws that NFL teams make. If you want a QB that can attack the middle of the field from the numbers in, and that is the bulk of the most important throws, JJ McCarthy is better than all of these guys. You are taking Williams and Daniels ahead of him because they have those elite non-throwing skills that are really, really rare. But I take JJ 3rd and Maye a close 4th behind him.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm

Josh Allen was a sub 55% thrower at Wyoming. He was pure upside pick.

And I don't see Maye's upside any higher than McCarthy's if you fix the couple of issues with JJ. JJ McCarthy is the best QB in this draft for the throws that NFL teams make. If you want a QB that can attack the middle of the field from the numbers in, and that is the bulk of the most important throws, JJ McCarthy is better than all of these guys. You are taking Williams and Daniels ahead of him because they have those elite non-throwing skills that are really, really rare. But I take JJ 3rd and Maye a close 4th behind him.
Lol
No one takes you seriously
D_H

Post by D_H »

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm So, why is McCarthy a potential bust candidate? He was surrounded by a stellar supporting cast at Michigan that allowed him to be a high-end game manager.

It brings up questions about what McCarthy can accomplish at the NFL level, especially if he isn't surrounded by as strong of a running game or blocking unit as he had in college. Many NFL scouts question whether he has the arm strength to make all the throws necessary.
And this team is never going to be a team that leans on the running game as it’s bread and butter under KOC. Hell, the first couple seasons so far they have had no clue on how to use a running game and the QB here is asked to chuck it 30+ a game. You are going to need to be more than a game manager in this offense.

I think JJs ceiling is a top end game manager with the potential to be a starter. I think the Alex Smith comp that you see flying around is pretty spot on.

That doesn’t do anything for me. At least trading up for it anyways.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm
that'd work.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm So, why is McCarthy a potential bust candidate? He was surrounded by a stellar supporting cast at Michigan that allowed him to be a high-end game manager.

And this team is never going to be a team that leans on the running game as it’s bread and butter under KOC. Hell, the first couple seasons so far they have had no clue on how to use a running game and the QB here is asked to chuck it 30+ a game. You are going to need to be more than a game manager in this offense.

I think JJs ceiling is a top end game manager with the potential to be a starter. I think the Alex Smith comp that you see flying around is pretty spot on.

That doesn’t do anything for me. At least trading up for it anyways.

Na

Scouts think he a back up prospect
D_H

Post by D_H »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm
that'd work.

KOC is not taking JJ lol