Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:25 pm
JJ McCarthy at 2?
Damn, I would love this. It would keep my Jaden Daniels to Minnesota dream alive. Although, I haven't seen any smoke with Minnesota and Daniels, so who knows if they like him?
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 pm
William Munny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:25 pm
JJ McCarthy at 2?
Well that would leave Maye to New England then. Vikings can stay put and take Penix at 11.
Not interested in SKOLSU? McDaniels to JJ!!!
Not really. I think that he is way too skinny and will get RG3'd in the NFL.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

2 weeks ago I was insane for saying JJ could go to the Pats.

Now we got the big media at the owners meetings saying JJ @2.

This kinda s*cks, I've grown to like this kid but it was gonna be the same for everyone once they got to dig into who he is and how he projects only being 21.

JJ is the most impressive QB prospect when it comes to character, leadership and potentially work ethic.

The steam seems to be getting a little bigger than just some dudes with mocks drafts in their basement and "JJ's Camp pumping his stock".
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

William Munny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:43 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 pm
William Munny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm

Well that would leave Maye to New England then. Vikings can stay put and take Penix at 11.
Not interested in SKOLSU? McDaniels to JJ!!!
Not really. I think that he is way too skinny and will get RG3'd in the NFL.
Daniels potential is so freak'n high that I would still take that chance. Ideally you don't have to give up insane assets though, that's always the catch 22 for a team that needs to move up.

It's a valid point though and he took some major shots apparently. The one thing I can say is this dude don't stay on the ground, he's right back up. He's tough.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm 2 weeks ago I was insane for saying JJ could go to the Pats.

This kinda s*cks, I've grown to like this kid but it was gonna be the same for everyone once they got to dig into who he is and how he projects only being 21.

JJ is the most impressive QB prospect when it comes to character, leadership and potentially work ethic.

The steam seems to be getting a little bigger than just some dudes with mocks drafts in their basement and "JJ's Camp pumping his stock".
Don't tell that to D_H.

His head might explode.

:lol:
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Butch Bradford wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:16 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm 2 weeks ago I was insane for saying JJ could go to the Pats.

Don't tell that to D_H.

His head might explode.

DH is dealing with cope right now and likely formulating his newest narrative. I'm on the edge of my seat...
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Don't tell that to D_H.

His head might explode.

DH is dealing with cope right now and likely formulating his newest narrative. I'm on the edge of my seat...
A year ago at this time we were convincing ourselves that Will Levis was a high first-round pick. He ended up going second round, more or less where he was ranked after the college season ended.

Is JJ this year’s Levis? Idk. But we should all be prepared if the actual NFL and the NFL off-season hype machine come to dramatically different conclusions on these guys.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Don't tell that to D_H.

His head might explode.

Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Only the Vikings would trade up so many assets for McCarthy! If Maye is not available you take Daniels and run with him! It's not close between him and McCarthy
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

cdr2529 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:04 pm Only the Vikings would trade up so many assets for McCarthy! If Maye is not available you take Daniels and run with him! It's not close between him and McCarthy
I would rather have Penix at #23 than Daniels. Maye is the Vikings 1st choice and who they are going to work to get first. McCarthy is their 2nd choice. Daniels is rail thin and an RG3 waiting to happen. He will get blown up in the NFL.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Daniels is better hands down! McCarthy is not even an above-average QB and if the Vikings get him get used to being in last place in the division because the team's future is better than the Vikings.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

cdr2529 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:02 pm Daniels is better hands down! McCarthy is not even an above-average QB and if the Vikings get him get used to being in last place in the division because the team's future is better than the Vikings.
You forgot to log-in as D_H
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:48 pm
At this time last year, Will Levis was a 4/1 odds of being the #1 pick and was all the buzz and ended up in rd #2.

This would be great if it happened though and the dumpster fire Commanders would be the perfect organization to do it. They are more QB inept as a franchise than we are, wouldn’t ya type?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

when it comes to physical tools i'd say that JJ has it over maye. now if your argument is that maye is the better QB then he's your guy. but when they're breaking the numbers down it looks like JJ has it over him with those stats as well. the vikings very well might get the carolina kid--but it looks like that'd be because the folks that get paid to make these decisions took JJ in front of him.

i'm concerned about daniels frame as others are--but if he's tough and smart he could take the vikings offense to the top of the league. i wouldn't mind seeing how it all plays out if he was wearing purple either.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I don't get it. You guys live breathe and smell football every year and still fall for the same old smoke and mirrors. Outside of what the film shows us Pro day, combine etc. nobody knows what's going to happen come draft day. Some here will say they nailed it after changing opinions 30 times, and some will be surprised. Who knows what we give if any at all. We may just stick with 11 and 23 and take who we want. It's the media and so called scouts projecting what we plan to do by moving up. Don't give up the future for a maybe QB. Pretty sure some decent QB's are coming out next year that we haven't heard of. Hell, maybe Sam turns into a stud. Just sayin.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:37 am I don't get it. You guys live breathe and smell football every year and still fall for the same old smoke and mirrors. Outside of what the film shows us Pro day, combine etc. nobody knows what's going to happen come draft day. Some here will say they nailed it after changing opinions 30 times, and some will be surprised. Who knows what we give if any at all. We may just stick with 11 and 23 and take who we want. It's the media and so called scouts projecting what we plan to do by moving up. Don't give up the future for a maybe QB. Pretty sure some decent QB's are coming out next year that we haven't heard of. Hell, maybe Sam turns into a stud. Just sayin.
there were hopes that the vikings could move up and get anthony richardson at 11 last year even up to draft day. he went in the 4 spot.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:43 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:37 am I don't get it. You guys live breathe and smell football every year and still fall for the same old smoke and mirrors. Outside of what the film shows us Pro day, combine etc. nobody knows what's going to happen come draft day. Some here will say they nailed it after changing opinions 30 times, and some will be surprised. Who knows what we give if any at all. We may just stick with 11 and 23 and take who we want. It's the media and so called scouts projecting what we plan to do by moving up. Don't give up the future for a maybe QB. Pretty sure some decent QB's are coming out next year that we haven't heard of. Hell, maybe Sam turns into a stud. Just sayin.
there were hopes that the vikings could move up and get anthony richardson at 11 last year even up to draft day. he went in the 4 spot.
My point exactly. Nobody knows who's going where. JJ may drop to 11th and we still get our guy. (Supposedly)

I just cracks me up the rubes who think they know what's going to happen. They will throw out 18 different scenario's and if they hit on one they will beat the board up with I called it!
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I don't really think this scenario is a one size fits all. I was watching a clip this morning talking about the same exact thing happening with a QB prospect in Baker. He did shoot up draft boards and he did pass Sam Darnold and go #1.

It can go either way. What NFL teams are finding out is how impressive JJ is in the interview process and and all the little intangibles that you breakdown when scouting a player. It's different for them when they are looking for a guy to partner with and basically save their job.

I don't think Levis had that type of stock rocket, it was more about his powerful arm strength and not his intangibles, it's likely his intangibles is what caused him to fall in the draft.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

This a great segment today by Colin Cowherd. I've already thought a lot of this over because he's not gonna get a smooth ride with all these QB needy teams. Minnesota might be the best situation as of right now in terms of surrounding cast but it is Minnesota. It ain't gonna be smooth.

It really boils down to mental toughness and JJ is probably aware that the NFL is gonna be different. How he handles that and what he does to become better will determine his results. All the QB's are going into a higher level of competition and some of them are going to teams that aren't even competitive right now.

A lot of what Colin talks about here with JJ is the reason I don't want to give up a bunch of draft capital but I would take a chance at #11. We don't know JJ McCarthy when he has to throw the ball 40 times, be down 2 TD's and have close grind it out battles. Now maybe his highschool tape has that but from what I know he won the same there as he did at Michigan. Pretty much undefeated.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm This a great segment today by Colin Cowherd. I've already thought a lot of this over because he's not gonna get a smooth ride with all these QB needy teams. Minnesota might be the best situation as of right now in terms of surrounding cast but it is Minnesota. It ain't gonna be smooth.

It really boils down to mental toughness and JJ is probably aware that the NFL is gonna be different. How he handles that and what he does to become better will determine his results. All the QB's are going into a higher level of competition and some of them are going to teams that aren't even competitive right now.

A lot of what Colin talks about here with JJ is the reason I don't want to give up a bunch of draft capital but I would take a chance at #11. We don't know JJ McCarthy when he has to throw the ball 40 times, be down 2 TD's and have close grind it out battles. Now maybe his highschool tape has that but from what I know he won the same there as he did at Michigan. Pretty much undefeated.

The criticism of McCarthy because he didn't throw the ball 40 times in a game is bogus. You look at the throws he made, not the hypothetical ones you think he should of made. Now, all of those throws need to be projected to the NFL level, just like the other players have to be projected to the next level.

In reality, all of these guys would benefit skill wise to skip college football and go to a some league that played NFL rules with NFL playbooks. It obviously will never happen that way because the professional sports that use college sports programs as their minor leagues (basketball and football) generate value, as well as the billions the NCAA receives. College coaches want to win so they call plays that will work with the college rules.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm This a great segment today by Colin Cowherd. I've already thought a lot of this over because he's not gonna get a smooth ride with all these QB needy teams. Minnesota might be the best situation as of right now in terms of surrounding cast but it is Minnesota. It ain't gonna be smooth.

The criticism of McCarthy because he didn't throw the ball 40 times in a game is bogus. You look at the throws he made, not the hypothetical ones you think he should of made. Now, all of those throws need to be projected to the NFL level, just like the other players have to be projected to the next level.

In reality, all of these guys would benefit skill wise to skip college football and go to a some league that played NFL rules with NFL playbooks. It obviously will never happen that way because the professional sports that use college sports programs as their minor leagues (basketball and football) generate value, as well as the billions the NCAA receives. College coaches want to win so they call plays that will work with the college rules.
IDK man, I kinda like to see a kid in a pressure cooker. Throwing the ball on a regular basis 28-40 times a game gives you a better idea of how he consistently does or doesn't put the football in the danger zone. How he responds to being down in a game or how he responds in very close games. What he essentially looks like when he has to throw the ball a lot to keep up and win. The one game he did have like that was the Championship game they lost in sophomore year. That's one game out of like 28.

There is a lot to be desired with all that in JJ's college tape but the 3rd down stuff is great, that gives you a glimpse of what the kid does in a pressure cooker. Even in the title game recently he made some very nice timely plays to finish off Washington. Ideally you have a good team and the QB makes timely clutch plays that are required even if he is managing the game. There is never any total escape for a QB. They will always be required to come through.

Penix was in way more of a bind that game and couldn't get it done. He had a chance to be the hero too. The throws were there to be made and he was super erratic and couldn't make the clutch plays. But you watch the Highlights and he's got the best arm in the draft.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:50 pm

IDK man, I kinda like to see a kid in a pressure cooker. Throwing the ball on a regular basis 28-40 times a game gives you a better idea of how he consistently does or doesn't put the football in the danger zone. How he responds to being down in a game or how he responds in very close games. What he essentially looks like when he has to throw the ball a lot to keep up and win. The one game he did have like that was the Championship game they lost in sophomore year. That's one game out of like 28.

There is a lot to be desired with all that in JJ's college tape but the 3rd down stuff is great, that gives you a glimpse of what the kid does in a pressure cooker. Even in the title game recently he made some very nice timely plays to finish off Washington. Ideally you have a good team and the QB makes timely clutch plays that are required even if he is managing the game. There is never any total escape for a QB. They will always be required to come through.

Penix was in way more of a bind that game and couldn't get it done. He had a chance to be the hero too. The throws were there to be made and he was super erratic and couldn't make the clutch plays. But you watch the Highlights and he's got the best arm in the draft.
Again, all of this is projection to the NFL level. I don't need to see 40 throws a game. THe real issue in my opinion is competition level. Watching them play against the best competition available is the best scouting tool you have, especially if you have all-22.

Here is the deal on JJ McCarthy. Is he guaranteed to be a franchise NFL QB? Nope.

But if you do not believe he has hte potential to be a franchise NFL QB you are a moron.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:50 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm

Why isn't any of the so-called pundits talking about how he was the only one that played in a pro-style offense? It's much easier to predict how McCarthy will handle the pros as opposed to the "shotgun" run and shoot QB's in this draft. Look at Andrew Luck's stats when he was under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. No one was ridiculing him for not throwing for 4000 yards. KOC mentioned it today, his 3 and long efficiency is by far the best in the draft.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm

Why isn't any of the so-called pundits talking about how he was the only one that played in a pro-style offense? It's much easier to predict how McCarthy will handle the pros as opposed to the "shotgun" run and shoot QB's in this draft. Look at Andrew Luck's stats when he was under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. No one was ridiculing him for not throwing for 4000 yards. KOC mentioned it today, his 3 and long efficiency is by far the best in the draft.
Some are talking about it but yea it's not a big talker. The thing with Andrew Luck is he threw a lot of TD's and had over 70% completion percentage in two seasons. He was a full 6' 4" and 235 pounds.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm

Again, all of this is projection to the NFL level. I don't need to see 40 throws a game. THe real issue in my opinion is competition level. Watching them play against the best competition available is the best scouting tool you have, especially if you have all-22.

Here is the deal on JJ McCarthy. Is he guaranteed to be a franchise NFL QB? Nope.

But if you do not believe he has hte potential to be a franchise NFL QB you are a moron.
JJ beating Ohio State multiple times, beating Alabama ect and the 3rd down stuff is the sauce with him.

But most people do agree it's harder to evaluate him because of how good they were as a team, how run oriented they were and how good they were on defense. He just wasn't asked to have the kind of work load he'll likely have in the NFL or the kind of work load that is a little more fun to evaluate.

I would say the most similar situation he had in college would be the 49ers or the Ravens. They both have QB's. The Chargers will likely turn into that with Harbaugh, they have a QB.
D_H

Post by D_H »

What impressed you most about JJ MCCARTHY this year?

The national championship game where is was obvious the head coach was hiding him? :lol:

The game where he only was allowed to pass 8 times :lol: :lol:

The game when he threw 3 picks against D2 Bowling Green and admitted after they did things to confuse him? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by D_H on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm What impressed you most about JJ MCCARTHY this year?

The national championship game where is was obvious the head coach was hiding him? :lol:

The game when he threw 3 picks against D2 Bowling Green and admitted after words they did things to confuse him? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe but Harbaugh is old school, if he can run the football at will he will run the football. Was there any reason to go air coryell offense?

They absolutely dominated in the trenches there was no reason to ask him to pass for 250 or 300 yards. I'd have to look at the stats he was probably asked to do more vs Alabama and Ohio State.
D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm
D_H wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm What impressed you most about JJ MCCARTHY this year?

The game when he threw 3 picks against D2 Bowling Green and admitted after words they did things to confuse him? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe but Harbaugh is old school, if he can run the football he will run the football. Was there any reason to go air coryell offense?

They absolutely dominated in the trenches there was reason to ask him to pass for 250 or 300 yards. I'd have to look at the stats he was probably asked to do more vs Alabama and Ohio State.

I looked at his flim again and he was even less impressive the second time.

Like they said on the herd today - he was considered a second round talent going into the national championship game, played bad it was clear they were hiding him and SUDDENLY he moves up lately? :lol: It's all hype from his camp NOT NFL people.

I don't believe the Vikings are foolish enough to risk their jods reaching for Chad Henne 2.0
Last edited by D_H on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

To answer your first question I would say 3rd down conversion rate. Better than all the QB's in the past two drafts by quite a bit.

And of course winning the chip.

Chop Robinson was eating up Michigan's pass blocking so they decided to run the ball the entire 2nd half. Sounds like some Harbaugh would do if he could.