Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by D_H »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm Drake Maye - KOC will trade his left nut plus picks for him.

JJ - Unsure. They’ve definitely did their homework but will they give up the picks for him?

Penix - Backup in case they don’t trade up.

Maye is who they want no question
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm Drake Maye - KOC will trade his left nut plus picks for him.

JJ - Unsure. They’ve definitely did their homework but will they give up the picks for him?

This is what I’m thinking also. Just don’t trade up for JJ.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:06 pm

I think it depends on the trade compensation. If it’s 11 & 23 with a cuppa mid rounders, I say they pull the trigger. If teams want the 2025 first rounder included, I think they pass.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
D_H

Post by D_H »

No one is trading up for JJ McCarthy all the hype is coming from his agent and Jim Harbaugh lol

He was considered a second round pick before the national championship game and shit the bed in that game. Why in the world would his stock go up?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:20 pm

I think it depends on the trade compensation. If it’s 11 & 23 with a cuppa mid rounders, I say they pull the trigger. If teams want the 2025 first rounder included, I think they pass.
I’m not trading two 1sts for JJ.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 pm

witljon

Post by witljon »

Neither would I.

I listened to all the McCarthy hype with an open mind hoping to be convinced he will/can be a stud QB in the NFL, but it didn’t happen. After watching McCarthy in college, I feel his ceiling is Alex Smith. If we actually do draft him, I’ll hope I’m wrong about him.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:11 pm

Neither would I.

I listened to all the McCarthy hype with an open mind hoping to be convinced he will/can be a stud QB in the NFL, but it didn’t happen. After watching McCarthy in college, I feel his ceiling is Alex Smith. If we actually do draft him, I’ll hope I’m wrong about him.
I would love to see the Skins draft him #2.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

11 & 23? I definitely would. It might even take next year's first which would bum me out but if McCarthy ends up being the guy, I'm fine. But that's the issue though.

If he ends up being great, then he's worth much more. If he doesn't, then he's not even worth picking high. So when valuing him, you are not really valuing the quality of the pick as much as the risk. I know that I stated the obvious
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:15 pm

Neither would I.

I have the QBs as:

1. Caleb
2. Maye
3. JJ

So while JJ going two would increase the chances of Maye falling to where we can get him, it also runs the risk of Maye going 3 and then we are stuck.

witljon

Post by witljon »

Neither would I.

What do you got against the Redskins?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:21 pm

Neither would I.

I have the QBs as:

1. Caleb
2. Maye
3. JJ

So while JJ going two would increase the chances of Maye falling to where we can get him, it also runs the risk of Maye going 3 and then we are stuck.
I had Daniels ranked as the #2. Great arm and legs. Way more polished than Maye.. Dude was the Heisman winner.

I'd say:
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Maye

4. McCarthy

5. Nix
6. Penix Jr
7. Stiffler ( :lol: )

I'd say compensation as follows:

Picks #1-3 (Trade #11, #23, Next Year's #1)
Picks # 4-5 (Trade #11, #23 only)
Picks #5-11 (Trade #11 and two 3rd rounders)
In that case I'd trade down from #23 to get some second rounders back.

People probably missed the article I posted in the draft pick trade formula, but we kinda got fleeced already for #23 this year.

Vikings received:

No. 23 overall
No. 232 overall

Texans received:

No. 42 overall
No. 188 overall
2025 second-round pick

With the Texans receiving picks 42 (1,106), 188 (346), and a 2025 second-round pick (valued as the lowest second-round selection for fairness 687), Houston netted a total point intake of 2,139.

The Vikings, who are looking for the here and now when it comes to talent acquisition with the upward move, collected picks No. 23 (1,411) and No. 232 (240), totaling 1,651.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

cunningham wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:02 pm

I have the QBs as:

1. Caleb
2. Maye
3. JJ

I had Daniels ranked as the #2. Great arm and legs. Way more polished than Maye.. Dude was the Heisman winner.

I'd say:
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Maye

4. McCarthy

5. Nix
6. Penix Jr

People probably missed the article I posted in the draft pick trade formula, but we kinda got fleeced already for #23 this year.

Vikings received:

No. 23 overall
No. 232 overall

Texans received:

No. 42 overall
No. 188 overall
2025 second-round pick

With the Texans receiving picks 42 (1,106), 188 (346), and a 2025 second-round pick (valued as the lowest second-round selection for fairness 687), Houston netted a total point intake of 2,139.

The Vikings, who are looking for the here and now when it comes to talent acquisition with the upward move, collected picks No. 23 (1,411) and No. 232 (240), totaling 1,651.
I disagree with you last point.

Using the updated Rich Hill chart (which values the picks based on what trades have occured over recent years, the Vikings received 247 points while the Texans received 212 if you presume that the 2nd rounder next year is the 10th overall AND you deduct a round for the one year time difference. Even at full value and no year deduction, the Vikings were down about 43 points or a late third and that is with no deduction whatsoever.

If anything, the Vikings fleeced the Texans.

Also, while 11 & 23 SHOULD be enough to get to 4-5, I think those teams will know they have leverage and ask for a premium beyond that.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 pm

I have the QBs as:

1. Caleb
2. Maye
3. JJ

I'd say:
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Maye

4. McCarthy

5. Nix
6. Penix Jr

Vikings received:

No. 23 overall
No. 232 overall

Texans received:

No. 42 overall
No. 188 overall
2025 second-round pick

Using the updated Rich Hill chart (which values the picks based on what trades have occured over recent years, the Vikings received 247 points while the Texans received 212 if you presume that the 2nd rounder next year is the 10th overall AND you deduct a round for the one year time difference. Even at full value and no year deduction, the Vikings were down about 43 points or a late third and that is with no deduction whatsoever.

Also, while 11 & 23 SHOULD be enough to get to 4-5, I think those teams will know they have leverage and ask for a premium beyond that.
All of these value charts are meaningless. Drafts have different values every year.

Lets say this is the 2030 draft and GOD, THE OMNISCIENT AND OMNIPOTENT QB Holy Cross is now eligible for the NFL draft. You watch all his tape and have his combine numbers 1/8,84,000 second (speed of light) for his 40 and infinite reps of 225 on the bench. His passing technique is so astounding he can literally manipulate the ball into his receivers hands by parting the sky.

What is Rich HIll's value chart value for the #1 pick in 2030? A little different than if DeMarcus Russell is the QB1 in the draft?
Da Gas Man's Ghost

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:37 pm

I'd say:
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Maye

4. McCarthy

5. Nix
6. Penix Jr

Vikings received:

No. 23 overall
No. 232 overall

Texans received:

No. 42 overall
No. 188 overall
2025 second-round pick

All of these value charts are meaningless. Drafts have different values every year.

Lets say this is the 2030 draft and GOD, THE OMNISCIENT AND OMNIPOTENT QB Holy Cross is now eligible for the NFL draft. You watch all his tape and have his combine numbers 1/8,84,000 second (speed of light) for his 40 and infinite reps of 225 on the bench. His passing technique is so astounding he can literally manipulate the ball into his receivers hands by parting the sky.

What is Rich HIll's value chart value for the #1 pick in 2030? A little different than if DeMarcus Russell is the QB1 in the draft?
Your point questioning value charts is valid. Your example is weird.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:02 pm

Its not "weird". It is constructive by making the conclusion obvious.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:20 pm

Why do you think God would help with football? We already know that Jesus couldn't hit a curveball.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:28 pm

Why do you think God would help with football? We already know that Jesus couldn't hit a curveball.
He would be the GOAT at the position.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Aren’t there some OT rules about touching a pigskin anyway?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:17 pm

I have absolutely no idea.

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Seems like a Leviticus thing if there would be
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:24 pm

Leviticus 7:8-9

And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.

You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

I’m not drafting any god that believes this to be a quarterback, running back, tight end, or wide receiver.

Maybe a guard, though. Make the defense part like the Red Sea.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm

And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.

I’m not drafting any god that believes this to be a quarterback, running back, tight end, or wide receiver.

Who said the Christian God is the true omnipotent and omniscient god.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The Bears would still find a way to fuck up G-d the QB.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm

Seems like a Leviticus thing if there would be
Correct

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:38 pm

Who said the Christian God is the true omnipotent and omniscient god.
Jesus. Right after striking out on a curveball.

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Woah. The OT is weird.

Are we sure that Troy Williamson wasn't a devout OT Christian?

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:43 pm

Woah. The OT is weird.

It’s a decent theory. Adrian Peterson too. He’s out there “begating” all the time.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:48 pm

Woah. The OT is weird.

It’s a decent theory. Adrian Peterson too. He’s out there “begating” all the time.
Rick Spielman......
The Vikings picked up another first-round pick in the 2024 draft, with the obvious goal of trying to move up from No. 11. Former Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman believes they will — and that they'll pay through the nose.

Appearing on a CBS Sports podcast, Spielman predicted the Vikings will gladly overpay to get in position to draft former Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fo ... r-BB1ldtR9

Paul Allen says he is "50/50 on Maye and McCarthy" based on what he has heard, McCown being hired, what OConnel has said about JJ and what Spielman said.

Starts at 14:43....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrsdLX3Sq8&t=1030s[/youtube]
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:08 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:48 pm

Woah. The OT is weird.

Rick Spielman......
The Vikings picked up another first-round pick in the 2024 draft, with the obvious goal of trying to move up from No. 11. Former Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman believes they will — and that they'll pay through the nose.

Appearing on a CBS Sports podcast, Spielman predicted the Vikings will gladly overpay to get in position to draft former Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fo ... r-BB1ldtR9

Paul Allen says he is "50/50 on Maye and McCarthy" based on what he has heard, McCown being hired, what OConnel has said about JJ and what Spielman said.

Starts at 14:43....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrsdLX3Sq8&t=1306s[/youtube]
PA admits that he got the pick before the draft from the previous regime--probably spielman. that's why i started the "what's PA saying" thread years ago. what PA said is what happened. he's not privy to that information now--though it sounded like he said he didn't want to be anymore. that's what i found the most interesting part of that five minutes or so of what i listened to.
Spoiler:
what's PA saying?
Post by weimy froob » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am

as the countdown hours get closer to zero his "takes" get closer to RS's. is he pretty firm on a take right now?