Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Butch Bradford

Re: My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

Post by Butch Bradford »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:16 am
Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:47 am If somehow the Vikings trade up to say 4 and can't get Maye they should just take Marvin Harrison and roll with Darnold

Sometimes the weapons are so good that they can make the QB.

JJ, Harrison, Addison, Hock, Jones would be one of the sickest set of skill positions the NFL has ever seen.

McCarthy is a fine roll of the dice outside the top 10, as a young athletic QB with a good head on his shoulders but he hasn't shown elite skills or consistency to validate a top 5 pick.
I don't know where people are getting this from. Opinions from analysts? Nobody here has a Hudl account on Michigan, and the only play they have seen comes from YouTube and perhaps a game on TV. You can't possibly decide who will make it in the NFL from YouTube and games on tv. This has all been tried before.

From what I have heard from those paid by the NFL who dedicate their everyday lives to studying these QBs, there are several knocks and "red flags" on Maye. Especially his footwork and poor progression through reads. Many of them have McCarthy and Maye tied as the third-best prospect in this draft. Some put Maye higher than Daniels. Some put Nix higher than both.

If a rookie quarterback finds the right system and the right coaches, his assimilation goes much smoother, and his chances of success improve dramatically. Look at the 180 Geno Smith's career has taken—not great, but a lot better. This is the reason why I don't care if it is Maye or McCarthy. I think KOC will bring the best out of either.
:clap:

Well said, Offsides.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:53 am
Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:47 am If somehow the Vikings trade up to say 4 and can't get Maye they should just take Marvin Harrison and roll with Darnold

JJ, Harrison, Addison, Hock, Jones would be one of the sickest set of skill positions the NFL has ever seen.

McCarthy is a fine roll of the dice outside the top 10, as a young athletic QB with a good head on his shoulders but he hasn't shown elite skills or consistency to validate a top 5 pick.
If the Vikings trade to #4 it is not to get another WR, no matter what WR that may be.
We all know that's a long shot.

It may require both 1st's this year and next years 1st to get to #3. I hope not but that just might be the case if NE pry's hard enough. And I don't think AZ is going anywhere unless the Pats draft Marvin.

When you watch Marvin Harrison Jr you just have to kinda think about what it would be like to have him on this team paired with some of the guys they have for this window of opportunity.

Is it possible at that point to find in NFL History a better skill position group? This would really be the re creation of Carter and Moss with a better TE and maybe a better #3. Addison might just keep getting better and would shred from the slot with his routes. You pair Jones at RB with an up and comer as the backup and you wonder how you even feed all those guys.

How the heck would teams be able to defend against JJ and Marvin? It would be just be absolutely insane and if Darnold couldn't turn his career around I would be surprised.

Marvin is wild because if you didn't know who his dad was and you watch him you say he was Randy Moss's kid. That's what he looks like and as a player he's amazing. Everything is so easy it's hard to tell how good he really is or how fast he really is. His ability to catch contested balls, he makes catching passes look easy with guy interfering with him at the same time.

He looks like one of those guys that just a sure fire win for many years and rare athlete. Because he's so good I'm not even mad if he's who they would trade up for.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:44 am

If the Vikings trade to #4 it is not to get another WR, no matter what WR that may be.

It may require both 1st's this year and next years 1st to get to #3. I hope not but that just might be the case if NE pry's hard enough. And I don't think AZ is going anywhere unless the Pats draft Marvin.

When you watch Marvin Harrison Jr you just have to kinda think about what it would be like to have him on this team paired with some of the guys they have for this window of opportunity.

Is it possible at that point to find in NFL History a better skill position group? This would really be the re creation of Carter and Moss with a better TE and maybe a better #3. Addison might just keep getting better and would shred from the slot with his routes. You pair Jones at RB with an up and comer as the backup and you wonder how you even feed all those guys.

How the heck would teams be able to defend against JJ and Marvin? It would be just be absolutely insane and if Darnold couldn't turn his career around I would be surprised.

Marvin is wild because if you didn't know who his dad was and you watch him you say he was Randy Moss's kid. That's what he looks like and as a player he's amazing. Everything is so easy it's hard to tell how good he really is or how fast he really is. His ability to catch contested balls, he makes catching passes look easy with guy interfering with him at the same time.

He looks like one of those guys that just a sure fire win for many years and rare athlete. Because he's so good I'm not even mad if he's who they would trade up for.
you could get to five for more reasonable compensation and he'd be the consolation prize if the QBs go top four.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I am not saying that your take is bonkers, but the offense starts with a good QB and OL. A good to excellent QB can make average WR's good to very good. I am just not seeing WR in the 1st round in play for the Purple. I see them having some sort of initial agreement with NE at #3 or AZ at #4. This with the goal of getting a QB.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:49 am

you could get to five for more reasonable compensation and he'd be the consolation prize if the QBs go top four.
I don't think AZ is moving off the spot and it's arguable whether the Chargers would move. I mean Herbert to MHJ. Yikes.

That doesn't really seem like Harbaugh's wheel house but man.

And AZ they need a guy bad to help sell tickets and give their QB a guy. All these teams could use a trade but sometimes guys are just generational.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:00 am

I don't think AZ is moving off the spot and it's arguable whether the Chargers would move. I mean Herbert to MHJ. Yikes.

And AZ they need a guy bad to help sell tickets and give their QB a guy. All these teams could use a trade but sometimes guys are just generational.
it's best to get the trade done before the draft then. if it goes QB in the first four picks and the vikings don't have one of those picks they aren't going to be looking to move up anyways.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am

it's best to get the trade done before the draft then. if it goes QB in the first four picks and the vikings don't have one of those picks they aren't going to be looking to move up anyways.
It is in the better interest of Washington, NE, AZ and LA to wait until the last minute to accept any sort of trade for their pick(s). They will get the most bang for the buck that way.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Everyone is assuming that having the 2 first round picks automatically means that they are trading into the top 5.

Where maybe they like someone like Nix or Pennix and having 2 firsts give them a ton of flexibility. Heck with so many top QBs there could be many variations in rankings.

Kwesi seems to have his own game plan and doesn't really follow the traditional paths.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am

It is in the better interest of Washington, NE, AZ and LA to wait until the last minute to accept any sort of trade for their pick(s). They will get the most bang for the buck that way.
that's how it could play out. they could also overplay their hand and the other team walks away. it's a high stakes game of chicken. or liar's poker. :coolio:
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

My personal opinion is Maye has a higher upside but man he sucked at times. Im not really ecstatic about going up to #3 for him but that's just the way it is.

I don't agree with what lots of analysts say about McCarthy. His deep ball is inaccurate and his game outside the numbers is awful. His completion percentage was definitely inflated based on the heavy and dominant run game.

He cannot throw a nice out route. Inside the numbers he's remarkable, makes good decisions, leads his receivers, when he hits it's almost perfect.

Now you add in his mobility, his age, seems to be a humble hard working guy, then the fact he can sit behind Darnold. Well maybe he can fix those flaws, as it appears to be more mental than physical.

Moral of the story is, McCarthy cannot lead a pass oriented offense as a rookie. He's just not there. Maybe he'll get there in time but whether we agree with it or not, in today's game you just don't use a top pick to have him sit.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:34 pm My personal opinion is Maye has a higher upside but man he sucked at times. Im not really ecstatic about going up to #3 for him but that's just the way it is.

I don't agree with what lots of analysts say about McCarthy. His deep ball is inaccurate and his game outside the numbers is awful. His completion percentage was definitely inflated based on the heavy and dominant run game.

He cannot throw a nice out route. Inside the numbers he's remarkable, makes good decisions, leads his receivers, when he hits it's almost perfect.

Now you add in his mobility, his age, seems to be a humble hard working guy, then the fact he can sit behind Darnold. Well maybe he can fix those flaws, as it appears to be more mental than physical.

Moral of the story is, McCarthy cannot lead a pass oriented offense as a rookie. He's just not there. Maybe he'll get there in time but whether we agree with it or not, in today's game you just don't use a top pick to have him sit.
harbaugh said he's the #1 QB in the draft. even if there's some bias there--there's also the fact that the guy saw him every day in practice. his opinion holds some water. whoever they pick isn't going to be the QB in the first game of the season. might not be the QB until playoffs are off the table in december. pat mahomes sat his first year. if he can sit any QB can sit. that's not a reason why you can't take one in the top five and let him figure it out in practice for a year. two years is too long.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:34 pm My personal opinion is Maye has a higher upside but man he sucked at times. Im not really ecstatic about going up to #3 for him but that's just the way it is.

They are not taking McCarthy. The only ones hyping up McCarthy are mock draft websites. Lol I’ve yet to hear one former NFL quarterback, or GM hype up JJ McCarthy. My God his head coach didn’t even trust him to pass during the national championship game - that was obvious. He was in over his skis against a bad Washington team and go check out the bowling green tape. Lol He threw three interceptions, but it should’ve been five.

Kurt Warner doesn’t even have him in his top five NFL quarterbacks coming out

Scout on JJ McCarthy

Sluggish getting through progressions and can get stuck on first read.

Modest arm strength might be magnified by windup in his delivery.

Ball placement on tape belies completion percentage on the stat sheet.

Leaves throws behind moving targets, allowing defenders to challenge catches.

Deep balls need to come out quicker and with more air under them.

Timing improved during the season but still crowds receivers to coverage.

Average escapability as a runner when scrambling.

NFL comparison
Chad Henne
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:47 pm

They are not taking McCarthy. The only ones hyping up McCarthy are mock draft websites. Lol I’ve yet to hear one former NFL quarterback, or GM hype up JJ McCarthy. My God his head coach didn’t even trust him to pass during the national championship game - that was obvious. He was in over his skis against a bad Washington team and go check out the bowling green tape. Lol He threw three interceptions, but it should’ve been five.

Scout on JJ McCarthy

NFL comparison
Chad Henne
:lol:

@D_H

Is your head going to explode when the Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy?
D_H

Post by D_H »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm

Scout on JJ McCarthy

NFL comparison
Chad Henne

@D_H

Is your head going to explode when the Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy?
No chance

Fans such as yourself put stock in mock drafts put up by websites, but general managers do not
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 pm

Scout on JJ McCarthy

NFL comparison
Chad Henne

@D_H

No chance

Fans such as yourself put stock in mock drafts put up by websites, but general managers do not
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Scout on JJ McCarthy

NFL comparison
Chad Henne
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm

@D_H

No chance

D_H

Post by D_H »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:52 pm
William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm

No chance

Quit talking to yourself Mlhouse lol
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm Everyone is assuming that having the 2 first round picks automatically means that they are trading into the top 5.

Where maybe they like someone like Nix or Pennix and having 2 firsts give them a ton of flexibility. Heck with so many top QBs there could be many variations in rankings.

Kwesi seems to have his own game plan and doesn't really follow the traditional paths.
More logical would be to trade down and collect more picks if Nix or Pennix were the targets. It doesnt make any sense otherwise.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

minnemike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:59 pm
Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm Everyone is assuming that having the 2 first round picks automatically means that they are trading into the top 5.

More logical would be to trade down and collect more picks if Nix or Pennix were the targets. It doesnt make any sense otherwise.
So that tells you that Nix and Penix are not targets.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I bet Harrison will be ranked higher than McCarthy on every NFL teams big board
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 am

I am not saying that your take is bonkers, but the offense starts with a good QB and OL. A good to excellent QB can make average WR's good to very good. I am just not seeing WR in the 1st round in play for the Purple. I see them having some sort of initial agreement with NE at #3 or AZ at #4. This with the goal of getting a QB.
If it ever got wild enough to get Marvin I think it would hard for Darnold to fail. This guy is not void of talent. He's not even been on good teams then all the sudden he has that to work with? That would be crazy.

As far as the Oline goes they have put the work in there and it's not terrible by any means. They can stand to get better in the run game but I thought just getting the ball to Ty Chandler boosted the running game.

MHJ is a major pipe dream but honest to god your probably good enough not to get fired anytime soon as a GM or HC.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

I think it’s JJ. Maye maybe. The trade for the 2 first round picks would seem to indicate a move up via package to get a targeted player, like others have mentioned. I did see JJ mis some outs while throwing at the combine. The JJ interview with Spielman was interesting, he mentioned Jefferson as the WR he’d like most to play with. Maybe the Vikings traded for the 2nd 1st round pick and trying to make sure they stay ahead of a Denver leapfrog.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Yep. They could have just traded down with the existing #11, if they wanted either of them. Everything points to a bold attempt to move up. And likely this is almost guaranteed in their minds. You never see early trades like this unless something is already defined.
Last edited by minnemike on Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I agree it’s more logical to trade down, but the possibility remains that they’ve identified a couple defensive players at 11 and a couple tier 2 QBS at 23. :shrug:
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

witljon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 am

I agree it’s more logical to trade down, but the possibility remains that they’ve identified a couple defensive players at 11 and a couple tier 2 QBS at 23. :shrug:
There is one CB that makes sense in the top 11. But due to all the FA activity with D additions already done, I find it hard to believe they go another D player at 11 or higher. DT they need isnt really an 11 value in this draft.
witljon

Post by witljon »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:41 am

There is one CB that makes sense in the top 11. But due to all the FA activity with D additions already done, I find it hard to believe they go another D player at 11 or higher. DT they need isnt really an 11 value in this draft.
I guess I was thinking of possibly a good edge rusher.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

witljon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 am
Plenty of those... maybe? They did sign two of them though in FA.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:11 am
William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Yep. They could have just traded down with the existing #11, if they wanted either of them. Everything points to a bold attempt to move up. And likely this is almost guaranteed in their minds. You never see early trades like this unless something is already defined.
Right. And there will be good players at 11 if the top4 QBs are gone, but nobody you can’t live without. I keep saying that guys like Verse, Turner, etc. are good prospects, but they’re not Joey Bosa or Micah Parsons. Newton would be nice, but he’s ideally a 4-3 3-tech DT. We don’t have that position.

It makes a lot more sense to move back off 11 to get Nix/Penix than it does to move up from 42. And getting all the way to 23 might be overkill to get one of them.

Really looks like another trade-up is the plan rather than sitting tight.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 am
witljon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 am

Plenty of those... maybe? They did sign two of them though in FA.
I think a truly championship level defense needs to go 3-4 deep on pass rushers.
Plus, Van Ginkel is probably best as your team’s #3.

They could definitely use another pass rusher with double digit sack upside.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis