Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cdr2529

Re: My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

Post by cdr2529 »

It's obvious the Vikings don't want McCarthy because Arizona is making it known they are open to trading their pick and the Vikings are not trading their picks door the fourth pick
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:06 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:25 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm

Smoke screen. Nix at 11.
I thought I read that KOC and KAM didn't attend his pro-day. I don't think they are interested in Nix.

Maye and Penix Jr are on the same day. March 28th.
That's was intentional. Like I said smoke screen
You might be right... I'll have to look more at Nix. After they didn't go to the pro-day I "Nixed" him as the selection. :lol:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:47 pm It's obvious the Vikings don't want McCarthy because Arizona is making it known they are open to trading their pick and the Vikings are not trading their picks door the fourth pick
Source?
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:48 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:25 pm

I thought I read that KOC and KAM didn't attend his pro-day. I don't think they are interested in Nix.

You might be right... I'll have to look more at Nix. After they didn't go to the pro-day I "Nixed" him as the selection. :lol:
The other advantage of drafting Nix is that he can be an older mentor and coach to Darnold and Mullens.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:47 pm It's obvious the Vikings don't want McCarthy because Arizona is making it known they are open to trading their pick and the Vikings are not trading their picks door the fourth pick
I wouldnt say it's obvious. WAS might pick him, NE might pick him. And at the very least AZ will want to push the price as high as possible with as many suitors as possible. Many different things can happen and it's probably wise to only trade when you are certain you are going to get the player you want. It could be that NE only McCarthy over Maye and has to wait to see what WAS does. Therefore that pick could be up for grabs.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Washington nor NE will pick McCarthy! You are crazy to even think they will pick him before Daniels and Maye
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:39 pm
cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:48 pm

The other advantage of drafting Nix is that he can be an older mentor and coach to Darnold and Mullens.
:lol:
Spoiler:
:fight:
witljon

Post by witljon »

minnemike wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:54 pm
I wouldnt say it's obvious. WAS might pick him, NE might pick him. And at the very least AZ will want to push the price as high as possible with as many suitors as possible. Many different things can happen and it's probably wise to only trade when you are certain you are going to get the player you want. It could be that NE only McCarthy over Maye and has to wait to see what WAS does. Therefore that pick could be up for grabs.
McCarthy’s pro day is tomorrow. He’ll have a big opportunity to prove himself.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:11 pm Washington nor NE will pick McCarthy! You are crazy to even think they will pick him before Daniels and Maye
i'd never say never. Much crazier things have happened.
witljon

Post by witljon »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:25 pm I thought I read that KOC and KAM didn't attend his pro-day. I don't think they are interested in Nix.

I think Jayden Daniels pro day is Wednesday.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:49 am
cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:11 pm Washington nor NE will pick McCarthy! You are crazy to even think they will pick him before Daniels and Maye
100%

I’m crossing my fingers that we all get surprised by someone over analyzing things and making a mistake. Has Chicago announced that Caleb will be the pick yet?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 am
100%

I’m crossing my fingers that we all get surprised by someone over analyzing things and making a mistake. Has Chicago announced that Caleb will be the pick yet?
Phil Simms loves him some JJ McCarthy. Sees him as "hitting a home run" with his pro day. "Throwing with power" and "throwing a lot of impressive footballs." "Impressive in Meetings." "Everything about him tightened up." "I have heard nothing bad about him."

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:08 pm

100%

Phil Simms loves him some JJ McCarthy. Sees him as "hitting a home run" with his pro day. "Throwing with power" and "throwing a lot of impressive footballs." "Impressive in Meetings." "Everything about him tightened up." "I have heard nothing bad about him."

:lol: Phil Simms… He also thinks Daniel Jones is good and the Giants are going to be serious contenders in 2024.

Look, I’m glad you really like him. If the Vikings draft him, I will cheer for his success. I don’t think it’s a good idea to move up in the draft for a very unproven QB that was the beneficiary of a stacked team. I can live with it if they take him at 11, but if they give up three 1st round picks for this kid, I will not be happy.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm

100%

:lol: Phil Simms… He also thinks Daniel Jones is good and the Giants are going to be serious contenders in 2024.

Look, I’m glad you really like him. If the Vikings draft him, I will cheer for his success. I don’t think it’s a good idea to move up in the draft for a very unproven QB that was the beneficiary of a stacked team. I can live with it if they take him at 11, but if they give up three 1st round picks for this kid, I will not be happy.
I do like JJ, along with Maye. What I like is irrelevant. Vikings are more likely to trade up for him, than any other QB. Yes, they will trade up if at all possible.
As far as what Simms has to say about Jones. Not that Jones is good. "Starting talent," that has a lot of hard work to do.

https://www.giants.com/news/phil-simms- ... bowl-lviii
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

100%

if they like him why take a chance you're going to get sniped for a draft pick? you make sure you get your guy. they have a lot of money next year to get free agents. the idea that you sweat out a giants pick and then hope that the raiders don't move up if you have your eyes on a QB is too much high stakes chicken for me. just so you have a pick next year? meh.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:34 pm

if they like him why take a chance you're going to get sniped for a draft pick? you make sure you get your guy. they have a lot of money next year to get free agents. the idea that you sweat out a giants pick and then hope that the raiders don't move up if you have your eyes on a QB is too much high stakes chicken for me. just so you have a pick next year? meh.
Costly for the Vikings to trade-up. Even a scenario in which the Vikings trade up to #5 and then trade a second time to get to #3.
NFL Draft: What it would cost Vikings to trade up to No. 2 through No. 5 for QB, plus making a prediction
Minnesota made a big trade that puts it in position to trade up. Here's what our draft chart says it will cost.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... rediction/
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

100%

Simms? I thought Warner was a reach. Gus Ferrot or gtfo!
Spoiler:
:fight:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

SKOLTROL wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:43 pm

100%

You know who else blew everyone away at his Pro Day and many thought he should have gone #1?……. Sam FN Darnold.

I’m going to post his Pro Day in the Darnold thread when I get to it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:51 pm

You know who else blew everyone away at his Pro Day and many thought he should have gone #1?……. Sam FN Darnold.

This new angle is pretty good. And offsides thinks you suck at this. :lol:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:16 pm

Sam did his Pro Day in the rain. Pretty impressive stuff. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:35 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:16 pm

Sam did his Pro Day in the rain. Pretty impressive stuff. :thumbsup:
:lol:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Where is your post of Sam "Lil'd" Darnold's Pro Day in the Darnold thread?
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Bump.

JJ is the target for the Vikes.

Book it.
Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:01 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:29 pm
Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

Yes, who knows. But what you are suggesting, McCarthy falling that far down, allowing the Vikings to draft him at #11, #23 or #42 (which the Texans own now so not possible) is wishful thinking.

Too many teams need tier 1, franchise QBs and McCarthy is in the top 4.
Not suggesting he falls that far just where I feel more comfortable taking a chance on him. He could very well get overrated and pushed up boards because teams talk themselves into it.

I like him, think he's gonna work hard to be a good pro and has potential to progress. Some of the wild inaccuracy worries me some, especially since he's already pretty decent mechanically. Can that get fixed to where he's consistent with ball placement?

If I'm moving up for a guy I want to see someone who can put it on guys deeper down the field with more consistency. When it comes to JJ your really banking on him becoming a better pro than college QB.
He played in a NFL pro style offense, albeit run heavy. He wasn't asked to do much in terms of a vertical, down the field passing game because he didn't have to. That is a product of the Harbaugh offense.

He can make all the throws, in the pocket, on the run, is mobile and athletic.

Here's him throwing a couple bombs at the combine. He has the arm strength.

I'd be happy if the Vikings drafted McCarthy because I honestly believe that both he and Maye fit KOC's offense.

Here's some comments from coach, Jim Harbaugh. He makes a great point about McCarthy being at his best on 3rd down.
All season (McCarthy) has been an accurate, athletic, fearless and poised playmaker (and) been at his best on third down.

J.J.'s numbers on 3rd Down Overall:

33-44 (75%)

545 Yards

209.04 Passer Rating

30 First Downs (4 TD)

J.J.'s numbers on 3rd and 7+:

22-29 (75.9%)

379 Yards

231.16 Passer Rating

21 First Downs (4 TD)

"If you are judging a quarterback, judge his numbers on third down because that's the money down. He's been lights out," (Jim) Harbaugh said after the Purdue game.

"They can move their team or they're not as good at it. That was something when I was, moreso, when I was a pro coach in you're evaluating quarterbacks to draft them. That was huge. That was right up there with points per possession."