Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
-VikingsTw-

Re: My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:59 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 pm
Very good pod, Thor going over the QB's and what he sees in them.
Early on he was pounding the table for the Vikings to draft McCarthy.
Hopefully he didn't mean to move up and draft McCarthy. JJ has to many question marks for me to use anything other than just #11.

Even at that point I would way rather have him at 23 or the 42 they had.

I think they are gearing up to draft Maye if Washington passes and NE is willing to trade or NE passes as well. Then they have the ammo to do it.

Who knows tho, it's all a guessing game at this point.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 am
Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:59 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 pm

Very good pod, Thor going over the QB's and what he sees in them.
Early on he was pounding the table for the Vikings to draft McCarthy.
Hopefully he didn't mean to move up and draft McCarthy. JJ has to many question marks for me to use anything other than just #11.

Even at that point I would way rather have him at 23 or the 42 they had.

I think they are gearing up to draft Maye if Washington passes and NE is willing to trade or NE passes as well. Then they have the ammo to do it.

Who knows tho, it's all a guessing game at this point.
Yes, who knows. But what you are suggesting, McCarthy falling that far down, allowing the Vikings to draft him at #11, #23 or #42 (which the Texans own now so not possible) is wishful thinking.

Too many teams need tier 1, franchise QBs and McCarthy is in the top 4.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

The Lizard King wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:22 am My prediction? Sam Darnold has such a stellar 2024 season that the Vikings extend him to a long-term deal.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:43 am
D_H wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 am <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Daniel Jeremiah: “I think Minnesota will put forth a strong effort to try and get up to get Drake Maye.” <a href="https://t.co/iu8ULIkWpE">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; vikesinsider (@vikesinsider) <a href=" 15, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Did you fall off the Penix bandwagon?

:lol:
No, I’m in agreement with Kurt Warner. I think he’s the third best quarterback in the draft.

The only guy don’t want is JJ McCarthy he’s Chad Henne 2.0

I’m confident the Vikings are not ignorant enough to take JJ McCarthy

Some deeper intermediate and deep throws lose energy on the back end.

Has very average arm not an explosive.

Must become quicker with elimination and isolation from the pocket.

Missed a few too many routine throws with less-than-precise ball placement. Must be tightened up.

Has a tendency at times to break down and leave the pocket when he perceives pressure.

Needs to stay within structure.

At times, labored to drive the ball when on the move. Ball did not jump off his hand with natural velocity.

Occasionally has a tendency to be late on some intermediate and vertical throws.

The tape doesn't show a natural sense of timing and anticipation. Don't see those kinds of rhythmic throws.  

Not an off-platform thrower. Needs a firm, solid base to drive the ball and throw with any kind of velocity; has to use his entire body to deliver with juice.

Too many poor ball-placement throws. Shows tendency to be erratic with his accuracy on routine throws.

Jim Harbaugh did not seem to trust him in national championship game. That’s a red flag to NFL scouts, and coaches.

NFL comparison: Chad Henne
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I'm ok with the Vikes going all in on trying to get Maye, but I don't want them getting crazy going after JJ or Penix....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Saying #11, #23 and the 2025 1st round pick for the Vikings to move to #3. They see the Vikings liking Maye and that NE may see "the drop-off from the 3rd to the 4th QB (Maye to McCarthy) as not being that much," then NE will more than likely do the trade.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm
The Lizard King wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:22 am My prediction? Sam Darnold has such a stellar 2024 season that the Vikings extend him to a long-term deal.
Can they franchise and trade?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 pm
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

JJ McCarthy is the next Daniel Jones
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 pm JJ McCarthy is the next Daniel Jones
You misspelled Tom Brady. Very badly dude.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 pm
Yes.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

Yes, who knows. But what you are suggesting, McCarthy falling that far down, allowing the Vikings to draft him at #11, #23 or #42 (which the Texans own now so not possible) is wishful thinking.

Not suggesting he falls that far just where I feel more comfortable taking a chance on him. He could very well get overrated and pushed up boards because teams talk themselves into it.

I like him, think he's gonna work hard to be a good pro and has potential to progress. Some of the wild inaccuracy worries me some, especially since he's already pretty decent mechanically. Can that get fixed to where he's consistent with ball placement?

If I'm moving up for a guy I want to see someone who can put it on guys deeper down the field with more consistency. When it comes to JJ your really banking on him becoming a better pro than college QB.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:29 pm

Not suggesting he falls that far just where I feel more comfortable taking a chance on him. He could very well get overrated and pushed up boards because teams talk themselves into it.

I like him, think he's gonna work hard to be a good pro and has potential to progress. Some of the wild inaccuracy worries me some, especially since he's already pretty decent mechanically. Can that get fixed to where he's consistent with ball placement?

If I'm moving up for a guy I want to see someone who can put it on guys deeper down the field with more consistency. When it comes to JJ your really banking on him becoming a better pro than college QB.
He played in a NFL pro style offense, albeit run heavy. He wasn't asked to do much in terms of a vertical, down the field passing game because he didn't have to. That is a product of the Harbaugh offense.

He can make all the throws, in the pocket, on the run, is mobile and athletic.

Here's him throwing a couple bombs at the combine. He has the arm strength.

I'd be happy if the Vikings drafted McCarthy because I honestly believe that both he and Maye fit KOC's offense.

Here's some comments from coach, Jim Harbaugh. He makes a great point about McCarthy being at his best on 3rd down.
All season (McCarthy) has been an accurate, athletic, fearless and poised playmaker (and) been at his best on third down.

J.J.'s numbers on 3rd Down Overall:

33-44 (75%)

545 Yards

209.04 Passer Rating

30 First Downs (4 TD)

J.J.'s numbers on 3rd and 7+:

22-29 (75.9%)

379 Yards

231.16 Passer Rating

21 First Downs (4 TD)

"If you are judging a quarterback, judge his numbers on third down because that's the money down. He's been lights out," (Jim) Harbaugh said after the Purdue game.

"They can move their team or they're not as good at it. That was something when I was, moreso, when I was a pro coach in you're evaluating quarterbacks to draft them. That was huge. That was right up there with points per possession."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:01 pm

He played in a NFL pro style offense, albeit run heavy. He wasn't asked to do much in terms of a vertical, down the field passing game because he didn't have to. That is a product of the Harbaugh offense.

I'd be happy if the Vikings drafted McCarthy because I honestly believe that both he and Maye fit KOC's offense.

Here's some comments from coach, Jim Harbaugh. He makes a great point about McCarthy being at his best on 3rd down.
All season (McCarthy) has been an accurate, athletic, fearless and poised playmaker (and) been at his best on third down.

33-44 (75%)

545 Yards

209.04 Passer Rating

30 First Downs (4 TD)

22-29 (75.9%)

379 Yards

231.16 Passer Rating

21 First Downs (4 TD)

"If you are judging a quarterback, judge his numbers on third down because that's the money down. He's been lights out," (Jim) Harbaugh said after the Purdue game.

"They can move their team or they're not as good at it. That was something when I was, moreso, when I was a pro coach in you're evaluating quarterbacks to draft them. That was huge. That was right up there with points per possession."
that's about as close as you're going to get to seeing if he has a clutch bone because michigan was a real good team. i go back to some of the thor talk though. in the first half of the games when they weren't up by three touchdowns yet--he was solid playing better defenses than the other "top tier" QBs played last season. that counts for something with the people that are going to be making the decisions on draft day.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:30 pm
this guy's speculation about washington possibly willing to trade out of two and new england being the team more likely to stay pat was different. just an opinion from the peanut gallery though in the end. throwing spitballs on a podcast.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

McCarthy at 4 seems the most likely for the Purple.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

33-44 (75%)

545 Yards

209.04 Passer Rating

30 First Downs (4 TD)

22-29 (75.9%)

379 Yards

231.16 Passer Rating

21 First Downs (4 TD)

That's good stuff. If the Vikings take him all these narrative's about being clutch are definitely positive.

At the the end of the day you want a guy who makes the play when it matters most.

We've seen plenty of fantasy football QB's over the years in the NFL.

These stats coincids with him doing well and handling it in his bigger games against the best competition. Vs Washington he didn't exactly have to blow it up but I remember him making some big plays on key downs and not doing dumb things.

Without a doubt you want a QB with killer instinct, and an indomitable will to win and make plays/drives when they matter most. These guys are really rare.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Small Hands wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 pm JJ McCarthy is the next Daniel Jones

Chad Henne 2.0 lol
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Some really awesome throws, anticipation plus some nice nuance QB play from JJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYE5PktMa2s
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Just got done with JJ's only loss of his career. It's a fun watch because you see him get pressed to make a comeback vs TCU. This is a game where he threw the ball 34 times.

This game represents so much of what I see in JJ. You have awesome plays mixed in with some not so awesome. He threw quite a few screens that were just bad throws, then on one screen which was the hardest of them all with a defender in the lane he puts the hardest throw to make on a dime. There is a bunch of good scrambles in this game and some solid deep shots. He throws 2 pick sixes in this game, battles back with many nice throws.

https://youtu.be/cr_zlAkwuXQ?si=tvg_togMMx6DxJzL
salamander

Post by salamander »

And it's JJ, tooooo JJ! -PA probably
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

salamander wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:35 am And it's JJ, tooooo JJ! -PA probably
Cringe
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 pm

33-44 (75%)

545 Yards

209.04 Passer Rating

30 First Downs (4 TD)

22-29 (75.9%)

379 Yards

231.16 Passer Rating

21 First Downs (4 TD)

that's about as close as you're going to get to seeing if he has a clutch bone because michigan was a real good team. i go back to some of the thor talk though. in the first half of the games when they weren't up by three touchdowns yet--he was solid playing better defenses than the other "top tier" QBs played last season. that counts for something with the people that are going to be making the decisions on draft day.
:clap:

Well said.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:08 am Just got done with JJ's only loss of his career. It's a fun watch because you see him get pressed to make a comeback vs TCU. This is a game where he threw the ball 34 times.

This game represents so much of what I see in JJ. You have awesome plays mixed in with some not so awesome. He threw quite a few screens that were just bad throws, then on one screen which was the hardest of them all with a defender in the lane he puts the hardest throw to make on a dime. There is a bunch of good scrambles in this game and some solid deep shots. He throws 2 pick sixes in this game, battles back with many nice throws.

https://youtu.be/cr_zlAkwuXQ?si=tvg_togMMx6DxJzL
Thanks for sharing the video, VikingsTw.

I believe McCarthy needs to sit and learn KOC's offense, perhaps the entire season but he has all the physical tools and intangibles that you want in a franchise QB. He doesn't panic under pressure but of course he'll need to adjust to the speed of NFL games. I'd like to see him be a better processor on his progressions, but you do see that as the season went on....against the best college defenses in the nation.

I'd honestly be happy with either McCarthy or Maye. The Vikings are in a good position to get one of them...if we have a willing trade partner.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

If somehow the Vikings trade up to say 4 and can't get Maye they should just take Marvin Harrison and roll with Darnold

Sometimes the weapons are so good that they can make the QB.

JJ, Harrison, Addison, Hock, Jones would be one of the sickest set of skill positions the NFL has ever seen.

McCarthy is a fine roll of the dice outside the top 10, as a young athletic QB with a good head on his shoulders but he hasn't shown elite skills or consistency to validate a top 5 pick.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:47 am If somehow the Vikings trade up to say 4 and can't get Maye they should just take Marvin Harrison and roll with Darnold

JJ, Harrison, Addison, Hock, Jones would be one of the sickest set of skill positions the NFL has ever seen.

McCarthy is a fine roll of the dice outside the top 10, as a young athletic QB with a good head on his shoulders but he hasn't shown elite skills or consistency to validate a top 5 pick.
If the Vikings trade to #4 it is not to get another WR, no matter what WR that may be.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:47 am If somehow the Vikings trade up to say 4 and can't get Maye they should just take Marvin Harrison and roll with Darnold

I don't know where people are getting this from. Opinions from analysts? Nobody here has a Hudl account on Michigan, and the only play they have seen comes from YouTube and perhaps a game on TV. You can't possibly decide who will make it in the NFL from YouTube and games on tv. This has all been tried before.

From what I have heard from those paid by the NFL who dedicate their everyday lives to studying these QBs, there are several knocks and "red flags" on Maye. Especially his footwork and poor progression through reads. Many of them have McCarthy and Maye tied as the third-best prospect in this draft. Some put Maye higher than Daniels. Some put Nix higher than both.

If a rookie quarterback finds the right system and the right coaches, his assimilation goes much smoother, and his chances of success improve dramatically. Look at the 180 Geno Smith's career has taken—not great, but a lot better. This is the reason why I don't care if it is Maye or McCarthy. I think KOC will bring the best out of either.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"