Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
William Munny

Re: My prediction? Vikings trade up and draft J.J. McCarthy

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm
William Munny wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:10 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 am

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

this should work. you just need to use youtube and take the s out of the https.
Thank you.
Ouch

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minn ... fkuxhrrywf
Maybe the Purple do prefer Maye or Daniels? With that said picks #11 and #23 are not gonna get pick #2 or #3. Throw in 2025 1st and "maybe" NE would listen. I have heard about 50/50 Purple like/love Maye vs. McCarthy. Little about Daniels.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

KOC and KAM having a private workout with JJ:
Report: Vikings to have private workout with J.J. McCarthy next week
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
Mon, March 18, 2024 at 12:58 PM CDT
1 min read

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said on Monday that the team has a "preferred scenario" in mind for the draft after last week's trade to acquire a second first-round pick and it would not come as a surprise if we were to learn that scenario involves a quarterback.

The team is set to get a close look at one possible addition at the position next week. Albert Breer of SI.com reports that the team will be watching J.J. McCarthy work out a couple of times.

Quarterbacks coaches Josh McCown and Grant Udinski are set to be at Michigan's Pro Day on March 22 and Breer reports that Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O'Connell are set to travel to Ann Arbor for a private workout with the Wolverines standout.

Consensus wisdom has Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye ranked as the top three quarterbacks in this year's draft and they are seen as good bets to go with the first three picks. McCarthy is a popular choice at No. 4 and the Vikings could have designs on using their two picks to get high enough to make sure J.J. is throwing passes to a different J.J. during his rookie season.
D_H

Post by D_H »

cunningham wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm KOC and KAM having a private workout with JJ:
1 min read

Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said on Monday that the team has a "preferred scenario" in mind for the draft after last week's trade to acquire a second first-round pick and it would not come as a surprise if we were to learn that scenario involves a quarterback.

The team is set to get a close look at one possible addition at the position next week. Albert Breer of SI.com reports that the team will be watching J.J. McCarthy work out a couple of times.

Quarterbacks coaches Josh McCown and Grant Udinski are set to be at Michigan's Pro Day on March 22 and Breer reports that Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O'Connell are set to travel to Ann Arbor for a private workout with the Wolverines standout.

Consensus wisdom has Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye ranked as the top three quarterbacks in this year's draft and they are seen as good bets to go with the first three picks. McCarthy is a popular choice at No. 4 and the Vikings could have designs on using their two picks to get high enough to make sure J.J. is throwing passes to a different J.J. during his rookie season.

No chance I have to believe they are smart enough not to take Chad Henne 2.0 . JJ McCarthy was completely lost in the national championship game against a below average Washington defense there’s no way the Vikings decision-makers are that stupid.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

If they do trade up for a tier 2 guy, I just hope it’s someone that they have really liked and wanted to draft this whole time. Not a situation where it’s like “We had to grab one”. That rarely works out.

The tier two guys give me strange vibes from the 2011 draft when every thought that one was deep and look how many busted in that one.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:28 pm If they do trade up for a tier 2 guy, I just hope it’s someone that they have really liked and wanted to draft this whole time. Not a situation where it’s like “We had to grab one”. That rarely works out.

The tier two guys give me strange vibes from the 2011 draft when every thought that one was deep and look how many busted in that one.
No one is trading up for JJ. McCarthy it is simply preposterous. He threw three interceptions against a horseshit bowling green team and it should’ve been five and it was completely lost in the national championship game against a very average Washington defense. It’s obvious he’s not an NFL starter.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minn ... fkuxhrrywf

From the link: Minnesota Vikings prefer to spend more on Drake Maye than land JJ McCarthy for less

Rest assured, they are not trading up to get JJ McCarthy lol
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

I think the Vikings will be stuck with 11th and 23rd pick?
D_H

Post by D_H »

cdr2529 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 pm I think the Vikings will be stuck with 11th and 23rd pick?
Thats fine Penix and Nix are just fine. Penix might have the best natural arm talent since Dan Marino it’s unbelievable. Kurt Warner has him third on his board this year.
D_H

Post by D_H »

lol
Scout on JJ McCarthy

I've watched a lot of tape and my opinion of McCarthy just keeps going down. He abandons the pocket early because he can't make quick enough reads. His field vision is poor even at college speeds. Every highlight reel play he has is a broken play scramble with one possible target. Very rarely did he even go through progressions. That's a huge red flag. His arm talent is lacking too. His deep ball is all over the place. Outside throws sail on him. Wide open receives are rarely hit in stride. His touch pass dies early. This is one case where college success does not look like it translates to the NFL. Not for a team who needs someone to start now.

His agents can hype him up all they want, but NFL personnel know better
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm lol
Scout on JJ McCarthy

I've watched a lot of tape and my opinion of McCarthy just keeps going down. He abandons the pocket early because he can't make quick enough reads. His field vision is poor even at college speeds. Every highlight reel play he has is a broken play scramble with one possible target. Very rarely did he even go through progressions. That's a huge red flag. His arm talent is lacking too. His deep ball is all over the place. Outside throws sail on him. Wide open receives are rarely hit in stride. His touch pass dies early. This is one case where college success does not look like it translates to the NFL. Not for a team who needs someone to start now.

Yikes.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 pm
D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm lol
Scout on JJ McCarthy

Yikes.
I’m sure you’ve noticed, It’s only websites that do mock drafts that are hyping up JJ McCarthy. Lol
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

My one concern is that from a lot of the YT tape I watched he seemed to have one of the easiest jobs for a QB playing against that kind of competition that a QB could have had. Wicked defense, wicked OL and talent, and open receivers for days. He's obviously athletic and has an arm, butt...just one man's observation.
D_H

Post by D_H »

lol

WHY DOES NO-ONE CALL JJ MCCARTHY A RUNNING BACK HE ATTEMPTED LESS THAN 15 PASSSES IN 8 GAMES AND DIDN’T EVEN ATTEMPT A THROW IN THE 2ND HALF OF THAT PENN ST GAME WHY IS HIS DRAFT STOCK IN THE 1ST ROUND?
D_H

Post by D_H »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 pm My one concern is that from a lot of the YT tape I watched he seemed to have one of the easiest jobs for a QB playing against that kind of competition that a QB could have had. Wicked defense, wicked OL and talent, and open receivers for days. He's obviously athletic and has an arm, butt...just one man's observation.
This

Easy to play quarterback when you’re up 25 to nothing at halftime
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 pm My one concern is that from a lot of the YT tape I watched he seemed to have one of the easiest jobs for a QB playing against that kind of competition that a QB could have had. Wicked defense, wicked OL and talent, and open receivers for days. He's obviously athletic and has an arm, butt...just one man's observation.
Outside of their running back, I am trying really hard to find one Michigan receiver or tight end worth a shit.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
D_H

Post by D_H »

JJ McCarthy certainly did not do anything at the combine. The talk of the combine was Michael Penix Junior. I will give us camp credit. They are doing a great job of hyping him up, but he’s not an NFL starting quarterback.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 pm
Outside of their running back, I am trying really hard to find one Michigan receiver or tight end worth a shit.
This makes me question if you have really watched any Michigan games at all. Colson Loveland, a true junior, will possibly be a first round draft pick next season. Roman WIlson is a really solid college WR. But Michigan doesn't have the elite WRs that the Huskies have. Also, as I have noted before, the Michigan OL is very overrated, at least in terms of pass pro.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:27 pm
This makes me question if you have really watched any Michigan games at all. Colson Loveland, a true junior, will possibly be a first round draft pick next season. Roman WIlson is a really solid college WR. But Michigan doesn't have the elite WRs that the Huskies have. Also, as I have noted before, the Michigan OL is very overrated, at least in terms of pass pro.
That rings a bell after watching a good bit of McCarthy.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Tell us again how JJ McCarthy compares to Josh Allen.

Lololollo
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

I have a life and operate a business. So no, I haven't watched all of the Michigan "tape," as mock draft sniffers have here. But I have seen two games this year. Nor do I claim to know all the ins and outs of all these teams as you do from the internet.

The notion was that his job was easy because his receivers were "open for days." Perhaps his mobility, specifically his escapability, caused those receivers to get open, coupled with a pretty good run game.

Michigan's best weapon outside JJ was their run game. This old-school methodology has hampered McCarthy's draft stock. I communicate regularly with college-level coaches in person who know a lot more about this game than I do. Not one of them thinks ill of McCarthy and believes he is just as good as Daniels or Maye. They think the same of Nix as well.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:36 pm

Lololollo
I have. Top arm talent in the draft with solid mobility.
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

Something I haven't heard really anywhere..How does Ryan Grigson factor into this?
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

My official prediction is they want Maye but will settle for the JJ to JJ train for the foreseeable future.

If Maye is somehow available, they will work to get him under a reasonable trade - nothing ridiculous - and I would be pleasantly surprised.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 pm

I have a life and operate a business. So no, I haven't watched all of the Michigan "tape," as mock draft sniffers have here. But I have seen two games this year. Nor do I claim to know all the ins and outs of all these teams as you do from the internet.

The notion was that his job was easy because his receivers were "open for days." Perhaps his mobility, specifically his escapability, caused those receivers to get open, coupled with a pretty good run game.

Michigan's best weapon outside JJ was their run game. This old-school methodology has hampered McCarthy's draft stock. I communicate regularly with college-level coaches in person who know a lot more about this game than I do. Not one of them thinks ill of McCarthy and believes he is just as good as Daniels or Maye. They think the same of Nix as well.
You too?
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:06 pm

Lololollo
You really know nothing about football JJ McCarthy compares to Josh Alan simply priceless
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

cunningham wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm KOC and KAM having a private workout with JJ:
1 min read

Smoke screen. Nix at 11.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm
1 min read

Smoke screen. Nix at 11.
I thought I read that KOC and KAM didn't attend his pro-day. I don't think they are interested in Nix.

Maye and Penix Jr are on the same day. March 28th.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

D_H wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 am
mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:06 pm

Lololollo
You really know nothing about football JJ McCarthy compares to Josh Alan simply priceless

My god you are stale.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:25 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:39 pm
Smoke screen. Nix at 11.
I thought I read that KOC and KAM didn't attend his pro-day. I don't think they are interested in Nix.

Maye and Penix Jr are on the same day. March 28th.
That's was intentional. Like I said smoke screen
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

IF we have very similar grades on Nix/Penix and JJ..Nix/Penix at 11, Brian Thomas Jr at 23. There's no such thing as reaching at 11 for your guy if you truly believe in him. As for Thomas Jr, that would be the REAL 3 deep. This offense would be amazing if we did this. Some juggernaut shit. We would be passing on the DT/DB help by going this route, but fuck this would be fun
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

WayneVikes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:22 pm IF we have very similar grades on Nix/Penix and JJ..Nix/Penix at 11, Brian Thomas Jr at 23. There's no such thing as reaching at 11 for your guy if you truly believe in him. As for Thomas Jr, that would be the REAL 3 deep. This offense would be amazing if we did this. Some juggernaut shit. We would be passing on the DT/DB help by going this route, but fuck this would be fun
There are not many good pass rushing 3-4 de/nt. Usually they are just cheap run stuffers drafted after round 3. I think in this scenario they would draft edge, cb, or wr at 23.