Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fran Tarkenton on Kfan right now likes….

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

Re: Fran Tarkenton on Kfan right now likes….

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:43 pm
D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:38 pm

What does that have to do with anything?
In evaluating quarterbacks? I’m not sure what you mean.
Your gonna write off peoples opinion because they never played QB?

That's insane, I've never played organized football and I've nailed countless college prospects over the years. I totally get it that it's fun to get their takes but if they were so right then why aren't these guys the GM's of every NFL team in the league.

What the f*ck has John Elway done to get the Broncos a QB? :lol:

Yeah, I’m gonna put a lot more stock in someone that played quarterback at Hall of Fame level than I am some pencil neck geek that works for a website that does mock drafts which are influenced from propaganda from agents. You go ahead and lean on Merle Hodge I’ll go ahead and lean on Kurt Warner and Fran Tarkenton. It’s a free country you can do what you want.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

That's insane, I've never played organized football and I've nailed countless college prospects over the years. I totally get it that it's fun to get their takes but if they were so right then why aren't these guys the GM's of every NFL team in the league?

-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:45 pm

That's insane, I've never played organized football and I've nailed countless college prospects over the years. I totally get it that it's fun to get their takes but if they were so right then why aren't these guys the GM's of every NFL team in the league.

Yeah, I’m gonna put a lot more stock in someone that played quarterback at Hall of Fame level than I am some pencil neck geek that works for a website that does mock drafts which are influenced from propaganda from agents. You go ahead and lean on Merle Hodge I’ll go ahead and lean on Kurt, Warner and Fran Tarkenton.
It's just an interesting opinion and talker. I didn't state any of this as a fact.

I like to listening to Kurt Warner to but he also defended Josh Dobbs like he was good or something. I challenged him to do that for all the game Dobbs has had and I never heard him mention his name again.

Like c'mon man, Dobbs played like ass once the smoke cleared and he's been on like every team. The secret was keep him in the pocket he'll never beat you consistently with his arm.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

That's insane, I've never played organized football and I've nailed countless college prospects over the years. I totally get it that it's fun to get their takes but if they were so right then why aren't these guys the GM's of every NFL team in the league?

D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:49 pm
D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:45 pm

Yeah, I’m gonna put a lot more stock in someone that played quarterback at Hall of Fame level than I am some pencil neck geek that works for a website that does mock drafts which are influenced from propaganda from agents. You go ahead and lean on Merle Hodge I’ll go ahead and lean on Kurt, Warner and Fran Tarkenton.
It's just an interesting opinion and talker. I didn't state any of this as a fact.

I like to listening to Kurt Warner to but he also defended Josh Dobbs like he was good or something. I challenged him to do that for all the game Dobbs has had and I never heard him mention his name again.

Like c'mon man, Dobbs played like ass once the smoke cleared and he's been on like every team. The secret was keep him in the pocket he'll never beat you consistently with his arm.
Actually, Kurt never said Josh Dobbs was some kind of franchise quarterback he says in the one particular game everything wasn’t his fault. So, you’re kind of twisting the truth with a little bit to fit your narrative. I’m guessing Kurt Warner is a lot more qualified to look at game film and come to a more accurate conclusion than you and I are.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Who said Kurt said Dobbs was a franchise QB?

I just thought it was insane that he came out basically saying he shouldn't have got benched. Like he didn't see the Bears game? The offense went much better with MULLENS. Even though he was a turnover machine he could complete passes and move the ball. Once Dobbs was stuck in the pocket it was game over. Warner couldn't see the complete picture and cherry picked one game where Dobbs WR's dropped a couple passes even though some of them were behind them as they were running full speed on crossers.

I think Warner was just off on that one. That's all I'm saying and to finish the point I don't think just because your not an ex NFL player or QB you aren't qualified to have an accurate opinion on scouting a QB. But you do you.

You know the last time I studied any of the QB's in real depth was the year the Vikings really needed a QB. I didn't watch any "tape" and my conclusion was that Derick Carr had the best film. BUT Aaron Donald was the guy I wanted very badly over anyone and once I found him it wasn't really even close and the fans didn't like it.

To conclude that, I've never played a down of organized football.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Bo Nix, getting it done. The more I watch of Nix the more I realize how savvy he is. He manipulates defenders. I get what Fran sees in Bo. Still coming to the same conclusion that he's underrated.

NFL size and bulk. Powerful runner, powerful lower body. More than enough athletic ability to be a legit dual threat. Just absolutely killed it in his final year, like Daniels did. Lot of really nice throws in this one, deep shots, throws to WR's on target in stride maximizing gains.

JustBombs best Highlights for years now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqzmwK9z3WY
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:49 pm

Yea if my memory serves me that SB dub was all defense throughout the entire playoff run. Credit there but he never put on a franchise QB out of the draft. Everyone knows Peyton is a good QB and most teams would have taken him if he was willing to go.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Thor is a big JJ McCarthy guy.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Bo Nix just screams Broncos to me. I think it has something to do with Taysom Hill and mix of Drew Brees in Bo's game. He's far superior in athletic ability to Brees but to say he can throw like Brees is just something you don't say till you know for sure. We do know he damn sure throws better than Hill. Brees is an NFL legend throwing with accuracy. Bo's last year in college was fireworks throwing the ball, but it's one year not three.

Rumors the Broncos really like JJ but I could see them just chillin for Bo Nix opportunity. I would be surprised if they passed on him but there's a lot of unknown when I don't see the film through and through. Which requires big dedication for something I don't control or get paid for.

Right now I'm probably trading the farm for Daniels or just relaxing and realizing one of these guys will be there, be it JJ or Bo. Then you trust what you've built for a QB and you continue to build for a guy.

If you look at Daniels the entire reason they weren't on the map as a super top contender is because their defense was so bad. And look at Caleb, he couldn't single handedly carry his team to the top either. So building out an entire roster is required.

The Chiefs have a huge advantage because Andy Ried is probably the best Head Coach and play caller I've ever seen. He's done it time after time with multiple QB's and two homegrowns out of the draft.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 am Thor is a big JJ McCarthy guy.
There is some very good narratives to get behind with JJ. The third down thing and being able to produce under pressure plus winning it all, winning against many good teams throughout his career. Showing up to those games and getting it done.

His age, his upside and character. Huge potential if he just continues to get better.

If this guys a true winner at heart he's worth moving up for. Fantasy football numbers and all that really don't matter in the end. He's got some things to clean up with consistent accuracy and trying to do to much evading pressure but the potentials there.

But I try to be smart about how much I put into winning in college because I seen it with Tebow, he just didn't have the tools to be an elite QB. I think it was Vince Young who put on a master piece won the big game but not a tremendous pro.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

For those that haven't seen. Phil Simms breaks down his 3rd ranked QB Bo Nix. This is a fun one for me because I'm in pretty much alignment with Simms with what I'm seeing in Bo Nix and how I reacted to some of those wow moments I've seen.

Based on what I've heard about Bo Nix before I even looked at him I got this completely different view now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3UWroDWo4
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:12 am
cdr2529 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am
D_H wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am Nix

Said the Vikings should stay at 11 and draft him

That’s Fran Fn Tarkenton, talkin' kids!! :thumbsup:
You don't make this move to draft nix! You could have stayed there and not made a trade because Nix would have been there anyway
I tend to agree I believe the Vikings have one the top three quarterbacks in mind - as well they should

Tarkington said he would draft him at 11

You can’t discount the evaluation from Hall of Fame quarterback it means something. It’s not some idiot on the website doing mock drafts.
Or even worse. An idiot on a local team's message board
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Florida Guy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:02 am
cdr2529 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am

You don't make this move to draft nix! You could have stayed there and not made a trade because Nix would have been there anyway
I tend to agree I believe the Vikings have one the top three quarterbacks in mind - as well they should

You can’t discount the evaluation from Hall of Fame quarterback it means something. It’s not some idiot on the website doing mock drafts.
Or even far far worse than that is an idiot on a local teams message board who is a grown man that gets his jollies irritating other grown men in said message board. Men he doesn't know. On two different messages boards. Over two decades.
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

Or even far far worse than that is an idiot on a local teams message board who is a grown man that gets his jollies irritating other grown men in said message board. Men he doesn't know. On two different messages boards. Over two decades.
I smell tension. You two should sit in a room and listen to Bad Blood by Taylor Swift on repeat. By the end you will still hate each other, but you may agree on a hatred (or love) of Taylor Swift.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Nix is good
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm For those that haven't seen. Phil Simms breaks down his 3rd ranked QB Bo Nix. This is a fun one for me because I'm in pretty much alignment with Simms with what I'm seeing in Bo Nix and how I reacted to some of those wow moments I've seen.

Based on what I've heard about Bo Nix before I even looked at him I got this completely different view now.

Nix has definitely shot up my charts too.

My worry is his ceiling is only a decent QB and not becoming an all out stud. I want that franchise guy but I don’t believe he has any less of a chance than JJ or the others in tier #2.

I would love to get Nix at #23 if this all falls through.

Getting into the top 3 is the priority though and I believe the Vikings and Patriots will ultimately be the dancing partners.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Florida Guy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

I smell tension. You two should sit in a room and listen to Bad Blood by Taylor Swift on repeat. By the end you will still hate each other, but you may agree on a hatred (or love) of Taylor Swift.
LMAO
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm For those that haven't seen. Phil Simms breaks down his 3rd ranked QB Bo Nix. This is a fun one for me because I'm in pretty much alignment with Simms with what I'm seeing in Bo Nix and how I reacted to some of those wow moments I've seen.

My worry is his ceiling is only a decent QB and not becoming an all out stud. I want that franchise guy but I don’t believe he has any less of a chance than JJ or the others in tier #2.

Getting into the top 3 is the priority though and I believe the Vikings and Patriots will ultimately be the dancing partners.
Nix ceiling is a decent QB. What I see is the early years NFL version of Alex Smith.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 pm

Nix ceiling is a decent QB. What I see is the early years NFL version of Alex Smith.
Not according to Fran Tarkenton lol

Tell us again how JJ McCarthy compares to Josh Allen
Lol
hategreenticemase

Bear in mind the second worst QB mind here is the one touting him. I have almost no interest in Bo fn Nix. He is the product of a pass happy offense on an Uber talented team playing in a conference where defense is optional. For the life of me I can't figure out this recent Bo Nix chatter.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 pm

Bear in mind the second worst QB mind here is the one touting him. I have almost no interest in Bo fn Nix. He is the product of a pass happy offense on an Uber talented team playing in a conference where defense is optional. For the life of me I can't figure out this recent Bo Nix chatter.
Nobody said I wanted him.

I don’t want any of these guys other than the top 3 any earlier than late rd #1 if even that.

Also, why don’t you give us your predictions on which of these QBs are going to be good. :thumbsup:

I’m predicting none of tier 2 will pan out. There will probably be one guy who does and if I had to pick one it would probably be Penix for me but all of these guys are projects and nothing more.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Haven't we learned our lesson about writing kids off cause where they went to school? Herbert went to Oregon and Ohio State never has good QB's.... Sure.
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 pm

Nobody said I wanted him.

I don’t want any of these guys other than the top 3 any earlier than late rd #1 if even that.

Also, why don’t you give us your predictions on which of these QBs are going to be good. :thumbsup:

I’m predicting none of tier 2 will pan out. There will probably be one guy who does and if I had to pick one it would probably be Penix for me but all of these guys are projects and nothing more.
But you would "love to get Nix at 23". :lol:

It's pretty clear they want one of the top 4 and will do what they need to in order to get them. Whether that's Maye or JJ I don't know and don't care. I'm choosing to believe in KOC on this one and that he will develop whichever one it is.

I think Penix has a shot of stays healthy and can work on his low arm slot delivery. But more of a project I think. Nix is just a guy imo. Not interested in anyone else.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I just have Nix and Penix, and to a lesser extent Rattler, not even on my board because I don't think they have the upside we are looking for. Every once in a while, though, a 2nd round type of QB prospect is successful. Drew Brees is obviously the top candidate for that medal. But then, Quincy Carter and Marques Tuiasosopo were also 2nd round qbs drafted in 2001. Since Drew Brees was drafted, almost all of the 2nd round qbs selected have been waste of picks.

There have been 20 picks of QBs in the 2nd round. Of those 20 there have been few really successful ones. Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Andy Dalton and Geno Smith are the best along with the guy who will keep teams picking 2nd round QBs, Jalen Hurts.

But then you have Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Bohm, Chad Henne, Pat Whit, Brock Osweiler, Christian Hackenberg, DeShone Kizer, Drew Lock, and Kyle Trask.

When you compbine the mostly flopped QBs that were late first round picks, what really is obvious is that if the QB isn't obvious, he is most likely not going to make it... and even the "obvious ones" fail too.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:34 pm

I just have Nix and Penix, and to a lesser extent Rattler, not even on my board because I don't think they have the upside we are looking for. Every once in a while, though, a 2nd round type of QB prospect is successful. Drew Brees is obviously the top candidate for that medal. But then, Quincy Carter and Marques Tuiasosopo were also 2nd round qbs drafted in 2001. Since Drew Brees was drafted, almost all of the 2nd round qbs selected have been waste of picks.

There have been 20 picks of QBs in the 2nd round. Of those 20 there have been few really successful ones. Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Andy Dalton and Geno Smith are the best along with the guy who will keep teams picking 2nd round QBs, Jalen Hurts.

But then you have Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Bohm, Chad Henne, Pat Whit, Brock Osweiler, Christian Hackenberg, DeShone Kizer, Drew Lock, and Kyle Trask.

When you compbine the mostly flopped QBs that were late first round picks, what really is obvious is that if the QB isn't obvious, he is most likely not going to make it... and even the "obvious ones" fail too.
I mean, most of the 1st rd QBs flop too. It’s not rocket science. Very few guys pan out to even be starting caliber QBs and finding the next Kirk Cousins, Carrs etc don’t do anything for me either. You then get stuck with a mediocre QB on a big deal after his rookie deal is over.

You find a rockstar or it doesn’t really matter and they are almost impossible to find in any rounds. Guys like Trevor Lawrence (Who I never thought was going to be special) hasn’t turned out to be near what many thought. You can list all those 2nd rounders but what about guys like….

Gabbert
Ponder
Locker
Rosen
Wentz

I mean I can go on and on with QB busts. I saw a stat where it’s usually around 80%+ that it is going to be a bust, the rounds don’t matter other than the fact that yes, the better viewed prospects usually go higher. You can probably name just as many if not more 1st round QB that are a bust.

In fact, one of the better QBs in the league right now was recently taken in rd #2 in Hurts.

I’m not saying it’s harder to land a QB prospect later in the draft but reaching for some guy in rd #1 doesn’t make him any better than the guys going after him in rd #2.

You are not going to convince me that anyone after the top 3 deserves to be drafted in the top 10.

Here is a list of all the QBs drafted over the years… It’s brutal. Man, I forgot about Dwayne Haskins (RIP)

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Since 2010, I count about 6 QBs who are/were franchise guys.

2 of them were selected in rd #2.

I didn’t count guys like Stroud yet as it’s too early.

The last time we had a bunch of guys go in the top 15 was 2021 and that list….

Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Fields
Jones

Trash went 1st pick in rd #2.

Yuck.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:42 pm

I mean, most of the 1st rd QBs flop too. It’s not rocket science. Very few guys pan out to even be starting caliber QBs and finding the next Kirk Cousins, Carrs etc don’t do anything for me either. You then get stuck with a mediocre QB on a big deal after his rookie deal is over.

You find a rockstar or it doesn’t really matter and they are almost impossible to find in any rounds. Guys like Trevor Lawrence (Who I never thought was going to be special) hasn’t turned out to be near what many thought. You can list all those 2nd rounders but what about guys like….

Gabbert
Ponder
Locker
Rosen
Wentz

I mean I can go on and on with QB busts. I saw a stat where it’s usually around 80%+ that it is going to be a bust, the rounds don’t matter other than the fact that yes, the better viewed prospects usually go higher. You can probably name just as many if not more 1st round QB that are a bust.

In fact, one of the better QBs in the league right now was recently taken in rd #2 in Hurts.

I’m not saying it’s harder to land a QB prospect later in the draft but reaching for some guy in rd #1 doesn’t make him any better than the guys going after him in rd #2.

You are not going to convince me that anyone after the top 3 deserves to be drafted in the top 10.

Here is a list of all the QBs drafted over the years… It’s brutal. Man, I forgot about Dwayne Haskins (RIP)

Once you get past that pick 12 or so, the QB history is not good.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:42 pm

Gabbert
Ponder
Locker
Rosen
Wentz

Once you get past that pick 12 or so, the QB history is not good.
The point is that guys in the top 12 don’t pan out much either and no shit guys taken later are likely not to be as good. It’s not that hard to understand.

There has been like 5 guys drafted over the last 15 years that were worth their pick in rd #1.

There has been 2 in round #2 in that time.

It depends if you are going to count guys like Mayfield and Goff a successful pick, I’m not.
Last edited by RubeTube on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

This is from the Athletic:

NFL teams have taken 33 quarterbacks in the first round since 2013. Sixteen of them are currently starters in the NFL. Most of the league’s best — Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc. — were first-round picks.

There are lots of busts, though, too. See: EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Mitch Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Kenny Pickett.

Pro Football Focus’ Timo Riske investigated draft success rates in 2020 and found that the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback with a top-three pick is 20.7 percent. It’s sobering, to say the least. But the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback in the second round? 6.6 percent.