Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Re: Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:50 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:46 pm All signs point to Drake Maye. It was reported at the combine that the Vikings had discussions with NE about trading up to 3. I think McShay is right and we will know what pick the Vikings got very soon.
This. They have loved him since day one.

It’s embarrassing this board has been mind FD enough by the media to think Jimbo is trying to trade Herbert so he can get JJ. lol. 😂

If Herbert was for trade, I’m betting the Bears would give up #1 for him.

Also, he probably takes the job with the team who has the #2 pick and not #5 if those were his plans.
And it's not just the fact that Wash had the #2 pick.

They also have two very good WRs already, one signed to a long term deal.
They have two first round DL, signed to long term deals.
They had multiple picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rd.
They had a shit ton of cap space.

If you're a prospective HC that wants to be build something from scratch with a rookie QB , there wasn't a better job available.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I also feel this is for Maye. And I think we'll ultimately be successful in getting him.

If he hits, this is a small price to pay.

Once we get him, JJ will re-sign, knowing that we have a legit QB prospect. If Maye doesn’t work out and we squander a lot of draft equity to get him, we trade JJ in ‘26 or ‘27 to jump start the rebuild (with a different GM/HC combo).
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:55 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:51 pm
They are not even in the same stratosphere.
Are you willing to put your reputation on it? :lol:
What reputation does he have to risk?
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 pm

His 3% success rate at guessing.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 pm :D

So when the Vikes are on the clock in at #3 in the froob draft, who are you picking?

:D l
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:56 pm I also feel this is for Maye. And I think we'll ultimately be successful in getting him.

If he hits, this is a small price to pay.

Once we get him, JJ will re-sign, knowing that we have a legit QB prospect. If Maye doesn’t work out and we squander a lot of draft equity to get him, we trade JJ in ‘26 or ‘27 to jump start the rebuild (with a different GM/HC combo).
Yep. I’d say Kwesi is doing some good cooking right now. Maye is coming into a good situation with what’s on the offense with a HC who’s shown to maximize a good QB. With Flores as the DC, the future looks promising.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I'm still comparing these two as they are probably the options in a trade up.

Winning is a very interesting thing. We had Kirk Cousins for six years of great NUMBERS and beautifully thrown footballs. But it didn't net the biggest wins.

So I'm keeping that in mind as I evaluate these guys. Just because Maye has some really nice passes doesn't mean he's gonna be a winner at the highest levels vs the highest levels of competition.

The thing you can't deny about JJ is winning. And if the Vikings want to win a SB their gonna have to surround pretty much any QB with a really good team, the same way JJ had a good team in college and won it all.

Kirk had a really good team around him a couple different times and didn't win it all. Granted they were still forming an Offensive Line early on and got totally bullied by the 49ers.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:12 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 pm
His 3% success rate at guessing.
I think that they could easily have a preference for Maye over McCarthy. It would be like having Kirk Cousins at QB for any offensive game planning, and there could be some argument that their choice of a QB coach is a givaway to their preference.

I like McCarthy's mechanics and mobility better than Maye's but it isn't that far off either. I also like McCarthy's ability to run a play action offense but Maye is a full 6-4, 223+ (I think he played at a much higher weight in 2023) and that is great size for a NFL QB.

If Maye cannot get his footwork corrected, however, he could be a big flop in the NFL.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:14 pm
So when the Vikes are on the clock in at #3 in the froob draft, who are you picking?

It doesn’t matter who he or I is picking. It matter who the Vikings are picking.

Some people here just can’t see reality and have to push their narrative like the people who just couldn’t believe we let Cousins and Hunter go when it was pretty much obvious from the start of last season they were likely not coming back.

If the Vikings are picking at #3, it’s going to be Maye. I’ll bet anyone Froob who wants to put their money where their mouth is.

Now if it’s not in the top 3, it’s all up for grabs. There is no way they are trading into the top 3 to draft JJ though. You can bet your ass.

I’m not saying any of these guys will or won’t bust either. There’s a good chance non of them turn out franchise guys, they rarely do.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

PA said it’s for Maye today. We hired his old HC and their has been rumors of this all off season yet we are going to have people talk about a position them taking JJ all the way to the draft. 😂
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 am
Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:56 am
If the Vikings don't take him, the Broncos love him. He will go top 15. I'd put money on it.
So you are telling us the Broncos will take him at #12 but we might be making a big trade up into the top 4 to take him when we already have pick #11? That’s some 4D shit right there.

They are going for Maye and already brought his old coach in.

Every one is predictable this is for #4 or #5. I’m saying this is going to be a trade with NE. Get in that top 3 and guarantee yourself one of the top 3 (Likely Maye is left).
Rumors are that the Giants are also like him.
Giants GM told Drew Lock that he will be able to compete for the starting job. That should tell you Giants are potentially in play for a QB.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:22 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:14 pm

It doesn’t matter who he or I is picking. It matter who the Vikings are picking.

Some people here just can’t see reality and have to push their narrative like the people who just couldn’t believe we let Cousins and Hunter go when it was pretty much obvious from the start of last season they were likely not coming back.

If the Vikings are picking at #3, it’s going to be Maye. I’ll bet anyone Froob who wants to put their money where their mouth is.

Now if it’s not in the top 3, it’s all up for grabs. There is no way they are trading into the top 3 to draft JJ though. You can bet your ass.

I’m not saying any of these guys will or won’t bust either. There’s a good chance non of them turn out franchise guys, they rarely do.
That was my coy way of saying that Mlhouse has the Vikes.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Fwiw

Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:51 am bo nix in play?
It is possible but unlikely. They could get Nix at 11 and get a well-needed defensive lineman at 23. Or vice versa. NFL radio said today that there are coaches that have Nix rated at 3. 46 tds and 3 ints is pretty impressive. I doubt it though. I think Maye is their guy and New England is the trading spot.
Nix is my guy. He developed into a stud at Oregon. I honestly hope they grab him at 23 and take a edge rusher at 11.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:20 pm

Winning is a very interesting thing. We had Kirk Cousins for six years of great NUMBERS and beautifully thrown footballs. But it didn't net the biggest wins.

So I'm keeping that in mind as I evaluate these guys. Just because Maye has some really nice passes doesn't mean he's gonna be a winner at the highest levels vs the highest levels of competition.

The thing you can't deny about JJ is winning. And if the Vikings want to win a SB their gonna have to surround pretty much any QB with a really good team, the same way JJ had a good team in college and won it all.

Kirk had a really good team around him a couple different times and didn't win it all. Granted they were still forming an Offensive Line early on and got totally bullied by the 49ers.
JJ played on a national championship caliber team. North Carolina was nowhere near that quality of a team. I get why JJ is a considered a Top 15 prospect, but Maye has a higher ceiling since he was largely successful with a lower class of talent around him.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:31 pm
It is possible but unlikely. They could get Nix at 11 and get a well-needed defensive lineman at 23. Or vice versa. NFL radio said today that there are coaches that have Nix rated at 3. 46 tds and 3 ints is pretty impressive. I doubt it though. I think Maye is their guy and New England is the trading spot.
Nix is my guy. He developed into a stud at Oregon. I honestly hope they grab him at 23 and take a edge rusher at 11.
I get that logic, but that just doesn't seem like something that would warrant making today's trade.
That seems like a move you make day of, once you have confirmed that Nix is still on the board at 23.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:31 pm
Pretty sure Nix doesn't make it to 23. But that's just my thought.
And if he doesn't then trading those picks was a waste. We could have traded back.

I have a sinking feeling if we trade up to #3 whatever QB we take will be the wrong one. Sorry, just been a Vikes fans too long. The melancholy runs deep in me.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm

JJ played on a national championship caliber team. North Carolina was nowhere near that quality of a team. I get why JJ is a considered a Top 15 prospect, but Maye has a higher ceiling since he was largely successful with a lower class of talent around him.
His WR's were questionable at times. The Walker guy is really good though. I don't know who he is but some of the other WR's are not great.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm

His OL was atrocious. His defense barely adequate or worse. He had good (not great) targets in 2022 and they all left before 2023.

Nobody did more with less than Maye.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

All the updated mocks have us taking JJ McCarthy at #5. They still have NE taking Maye.

I keep reading elsewhere that NE isn't sold on Maye.

This reminds me a lot of 2018. 5 quarterbacks taken in round 1, and we have Darnold from that draft. Allen and Jackson were the best two and didn't go first. Baker Mayfield went first and just now is looking like a franchise quarterback. We have Darnold. Rosen never panned out.

Daniels seems the most Jackson like. We need to figure out if Maye or McCarthy are Allen or Rosen?
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm All the updated mocks have us taking JJ McCarthy at #5. They still have NE taking Maye.

This reminds me a lot of 2018. 5 quarterbacks taken in round 1, and we have Darnold from that draft. Allen and Jackson were the best two and didn't go first. Baker Mayfield went first and just now is looking like a franchise quarterback. We have Darnold. Rosen never panned out.

Daniels seems the most Jackson like. We need to figure out if Maye or McCarthy are Allen or Rosen?
You have to wonder if NE isn't trying to play games and cast doubt about Maye to Washington. Say you don't want Maye but he's the guy you would take even if you had #2.

Hard to say. What exactly the doubts are with Maye I would be interested for sure. I would have to think it would be something with his personality or questions about his passion for the game.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm
cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm All the updated mocks have us taking JJ McCarthy at #5. They still have NE taking Maye.

You have to wonder if NE isn't trying to play games and cast doubt about Maye to Washington. Say you don't want Maye but he's the guy you would take even if you had #2.

Hard to say. What exactly the doubts are with Maye I would be interested for sure. I would have to think it would be something with his personality or questions about his passion for the game.
So you are saying they like him more than Daniels?
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Love this. Seems like Houston should’ve gotten more for moving down to the 2nd round. I think it’s for maye but does New England really move down and pass on one of the top qb’s for the 2nd tier?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

If there’s a trade up to 3 to be made, I’m sure we would love to do it as soon as possible.
If NE is doing that, and props to them if they are, then they’d hold all the way to draft day to see if it works.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

SKOLMN wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm Love this. Seems like Houston should’ve gotten more for moving down to the 2nd round. I think it’s for maye but does New England really move down and pass on one of the top qb’s for the 2nd tier?
supposedly they already talked. maybe they already some type of handshake deal. getting to 5 should get you one of the four--but the giants wouldn't have to do much to go from six to four.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:47 pm

So you are saying they like him more than Daniels?
I'm saying it's possible. But the more Daniels becomes a sure fire thing at #2 the less I doubt it's a rumor.

Lamar has really paved the way for the super dual threat and Daniels might have better overall arm talent. I was told he didn't do jack with ASU but I don't know how true that is.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

SKOLMN wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm Love this. Seems like Houston should’ve gotten more for moving down to the 2nd round. I think it’s for maye but does New England really move down and pass on one of the top qb’s for the 2nd tier?
They could just not go QB at all.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 am

So you are telling us the Broncos will take him at #12 but we might be making a big trade up into the top 4 to take him when we already have pick #11? That’s some 4D shit right there.

They are going for Maye and already brought his old coach in.

Every one is predictable this is for #4 or #5. I’m saying this is going to be a trade with NE. Get in that top 3 and guarantee yourself one of the top 3 (Likely Maye is left).
Rumors are that the Giants are also like him.
Giants GM told Drew Lock that he will be able to compete for the starting job. That should tell you Giants are potentially in play for a QB.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:07 pm
They could just not go QB at all.
if they're not going QB they're going to trade the pick if mlhouse's draft package in the maye thread is the compensation.