Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Tuck ya in

Re: Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

Post by Tuck ya in »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:32 pm This place will explode if the Vikes move up for McCarthy. And there is a real possibility of that.

Bozos who watch "tape," aka "youtube videos," will smear their angry tirades all over this place because "they know what's best." I look forward to that and why I could never leave here.

I have over twenty years of frequenting this place, and draft night is the best night to be here. Nothing else comes close.
Everyone's a Qb draft expert here right? And they all seem to know exactly how the Qb's careers will go before they even start. Truth is no one knows anything, it's a speculation shit show.

You could take the top 6 Qb's in the draft, put their names in a jar and pick them out in order and probably have better luck being right in the end.

But I like that they were aggressive today, and they seem to have a plan in place to gey their QB. Hopefully they hit on the pick.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:49 am Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
A Draft Trade!!

The #Vikings and #Texans have agreed to terms on a major deal in advance of the draft, per me and
@TomPelissero
, landing Minnesota another 1.

— Minnesota gets No. 23 and No. 232.
— Houston gets No. 42, 188 and a 2025 2nd rounder.

MIN moves up, HOU collects.
I would do this trade every single year. Seriously.

Also, #23 is way better than two 2nds and a 5th or whatever. The a quality of player you can get at 23 is way better than who you might be able to get in the 2nd. Three 2nds are three more chances to draft a Booth, Elfline, Tyrell Johnson (from Det for Jahvid Best at 30 in 09) , or Gerhardt.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:17 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:17 am I want Jayden Daniels.
Boom!
Boom Boom!
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:21 am
@RapSheet
A Draft Trade!!

The #Vikings and #Texans have agreed to terms on a major deal in advance of the draft, per me and
@TomPelissero

Also, #23 is way better than two 2nds and a 5th or whatever. The a quality of player you can get at 23 is way better than who you might be able to get in the 2nd. Three 2nds are three more chances to draft a Booth, Elfline, Tyrell Johnson (from Det for Jahvid Best at 30 in 09) , or Gerhardt.
That is not true. There is no invisible wall at 32 that states, "the elite talent stops here." First-round talent always bleeds into the second and sometimes third round.

The Vikings traditionally have been better finding pro bowl talent in the second round.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am
@RapSheet
A Draft Trade!!

@TomPelissero

That is not true. There is no invisible wall at 32 that states, "the elite talent stops here." First-round talent always bleeds into the second and sometimes third round.

The Vikings traditionally have been better finding pro bowl talent in the second round.
I meant I'd rather have two 1sts instead of three 2nds (and a 5th).

What you say is true, but getting an earlier pick gives you more choices to hit on a premier guy if your scouting is on point. The value of the rookie contract is so great as well, because you get cheap potential studs. Two cheap pro bowlers or even just quality starters is huge.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i worry that we move heaven and earth to get up to 3 to select Maye. And then JJ drops to 11 and winds up being the better pro QB. You think it couldn't happen? Of course it could happen. Hell, Spencer Rattler might wind up being a better pro QB than three of the guys who'll be selected ahead of him. It ain't a science.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:57 am i worry that we move heaven and earth to get up to 3 to select Maye. And then JJ drops to 11 and winds up being the better pro QB. You think it couldn't happen? Of course it could happen. Hell, Spencer Rattler might wind up being a better pro QB than three of the guys who'll be selected ahead of him. It ain't a science.
froob mock draft?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i guess we have about a month, right?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm
Sounds like solid gossip.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm
Sooooo much smoke out there…

Who knows?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

It’s happening!!

One of those strong opinions is that the gap between presumed number 1 quarterback Caleb Williams and UNC quarterback Drake Maye may not be as large as some think. While that opinion may not be surprising to some, the source may be: Minnesota Vikings safety Josh Metellus.

Metellus took to X (formerly Twitter) late Wednesday night to share his thoughts on the young prospect, stating that “Drake Maye is slow(ly) but surely closing the gap on QB1”.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:58 pm It’s happening!!

One of those strong opinions is that the gap between presumed number 1 quarterback Caleb Williams and UNC quarterback Drake Maye may not be as large as some think. While that opinion may not be surprising to some, the source may be: Minnesota Vikings safety Josh Metellus.

Metellus took to X (formerly Twitter) late Wednesday night to share his thoughts on the young prospect, stating that “Drake Maye is slow(ly) but surely closing the gap on QB1”.
Sounds like increased risk that Washington may take Maye at #2. Heck, Chicago could still take Maye at #1.
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:06 pm

Sounds like increased risk that Washington may take Maye at #2. Heck, Chicago could still take Maye at #1.
:lol:

No.

:lol: :lol:
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

The Lizard King wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:25 pm

No.

You must be a real insider. :shock: :lol:
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm

No.

No. Just using common sense and knowing that Caleb Williams is better than any other QB in this year's draft.

:naners:
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Hope we trade up. Grab a franchise QB type talent.

Need to come out of this off season with a defined plan at the QB situation.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

No.

Boom or bust, the value of Caleb Williams to a NFL franchise is going to be extraordinary. Your own version of Patrick Mahomes??? There is no way he is not the top pick, but I will add there are a lot of idiots in the NFL when it comes to drafting.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

The Lizard King wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:39 pm
William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm

No.

No. Just using common sense and knowing that Caleb Williams is better than any other QB in this year's draft.

:naners:
No doubt we will find out where he is drafted very soon and eventually how well he will play. Boom or bust.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:42 pm

No.

Boom or bust, the value of Caleb Williams to a NFL franchise is going to be extraordinary. Your own version of Patrick Mahomes??? There is no way he is not the top pick, but I will add there are a lot of idiots in the NFL when it comes to drafting.
They will take Williams.

It’s more likely they trade the pick or take Marvin Harrison Jr. than it is they take Drake Maye.

But none of that is happening. They’re taking Caleb Williams.

I don’t often make definitive predictions like this. I usually allow at least some room for the unexpected and unlikely. But they’re taking Caleb Williams. It’s a layup.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:51 pm

No.

They will take Williams.

It’s more likely they trade the pick or take Marvin Harrison Jr. than it is they take Drake Maye.

I don’t often make definitive predictions like this. I usually allow at least some room for the unexpected and unlikely. But they’re taking Caleb Williams. It’s a layup.
Can you imagine what the ticket sales will be with the excitement of bringing in a player like that?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm

They will take Williams.

Can you imagine what the ticket sales will be with the excitement of bringing in a player like that?
If we get Drake Maye, we will be excited. And rightly so. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to land a prospect like Williams at QB.

To think that the Bears and Vikings, two teams that haven’t drafted a franchise quarterback since Tommy Kramer and Jim McMahon… and that’s being generous with the term “franchise” (maybe Fran Tarkenton and Sid Luckman is more accurate)… could both finally land their guys in the same draft.

I know you’re more of a JJ McCarthy guy, so substitute him for Maye if you wish.

Also, as a side note: It’s hard to believe that in the 60+ year history of the Minnesota Vikings, we’ve never drafted a quarterback in the top-10 of any draft. That is almost certainly going to change this year.

- Isaac Asimov
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 pm Also, as a side note: It’s hard to believe that in the 60+ year history of the Minnesota Vikings, we’ve never drafted a quarterback in the top-10 of any draft. That is almost certainly going to change this year.
It is an amazing stat and it makes it more impressive that the Vikings have been an above average franchise despite that stat.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am
@RapSheet
A Draft Trade!!

@TomPelissero

Nobody thinks there's an invisible wall at 32 where talent stops. Everyone understand drafting QBs is a crap shoot. 🙄
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm

They will take Williams.

If we get Drake Maye, we will be excited. And rightly so. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to land a prospect like Williams at QB.

To think that the Bears and Vikings, two teams that haven’t drafted a franchise quarterback since Tommy Kramer and Jim McMahon… and that’s being generous with the term “franchise” (maybe Fran Tarkenton and Sid Luckman is more accurate)… could both finally land their guys in the same draft.

I know you’re more of a JJ McCarthy guy, so substitute him for Maye if you wish.

Also, as a side note: It’s hard to believe that in the 60+ year history of the Minnesota Vikings, we’ve never drafted a quarterback in the top-10 of any draft. That is almost certainly going to change this year.
The Vikings haven't had very many top 10 picks in their history and a significant percentage of those top 10 picks have been Hall of Fame players.

1961 expansion team #1 Tommy Mason
1963 Jim Dunaway #3 (did not sign)
1964 Carl Eller #6 Hall of Fame
1965 Jack Snow #8
1966 Jerry Shay #7
1967 Clint Jones #2 Gene Washington #8 (We drafted Alan Page #14 in that draft, HOF)
1968 Ron Yary Hall of Fame
1972 Jeff Siemon #10 (from New England for signing Joe Kapp)
1980 Doug Martin #8
1982 Darrin Nelson #7
1985 Chris Doleman #4 Hall of Fame
2002 Bryant McKinnie #7
2003 Kevin WIlliams #8
2005 Kevin Williamson (from Oakland Randy Moss trade)
2007 Adrian Peterson (Future HOF??)
2012 Matt Kalil #4
2014 Anthony Barr #9

EIghteen total top 10 picks. 3 already in HOF, with Peterson being the 4th to be inducted soon most likely. Almost half of the top 10 picks were in the first 8 seasons.

The other fact is the Vikings covered the QBs most of their history in other ways. Fran Tarkenton was selected in the 3rd round of their initial draft in 1961 (he was the 32nd pick, which would mean he would have been a first round pick in modern day draft).

THey had Joe Kapp for the early Grant years 1967 - 1969, then brought Fran back in 1972. They drafted Tommy Kramer in 1977 with one of the last picks in the first round (#27) and with Whiskey Wade WIlson, and 8th round pick in 1981, they controlled the QB spot until the Denny Green era in 1992. Denny found QBs liek Warren Moon and Jim McMahon to play, hit on a late pick with Brad Johnson, and the best backup season by a QB in NFL history in Randall Cunningham.

Duante was 11th overall in 1999, which essentially keeps your statement correct and Ponder was 12th overall.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:35 pm
:lol: BS. Harrison is not end all be all. Other very good WR in the draft including Nabers. Just trolling.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:34 pm
:lol: BS. Harrison is not end all be all. Other very good WR in the draft including Nabers. Just trolling.
The team who trades off Harrison, is going to ask pretty much what the QBs are going to cost. He’s the #1 prospect in this draft and will be the best WR in the NFL in a matter of a few years and it isn’t going to be close.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:40 pm
William Munny wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:34 pm
The team who trades off Harrison, is going to ask pretty much what the QBs are going to cost. He’s the #1 prospect in this draft and will be the best WR in the NFL in a matter of a few years and it isn’t going to be close.
This wouldn’t surprise me. Harrison has potential to be the next Jefferson for whoever drafts him. However we will for sure be able to trade to 5. I have no doubt harbaugh wouldn’t mind moving down to accumulate more picks. 5 is the 100% the floor for a trade up and would still be enough to walk away with McCarthy if New England takes maye
D_H

Post by D_H »

We are trading up for Maye I am sure something is already worked out with NE. They made that deal because they know Chicago is taking Williams and Washington is taking Daniels. I don’t think there’s any doubt about it.