Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

Post by minnemike »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:06 pm
minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:47 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm

You have to wonder if NE isn't trying to play games and cast doubt about Maye to Washington. Say you don't want Maye but he's the guy you would take even if you had #2.

Hard to say. What exactly the doubts are with Maye I would be interested for sure. I would have to think it would be something with his personality or questions about his passion for the game.
So you are saying they like him more than Daniels?
I'm saying it's possible. But the more Daniels becomes a sure fire thing at #2 the less I doubt it's a rumor.

Lamar has really paved the way for the super dual threat and Daniels might have better overall arm talent. I was told he didn't do jack with ASU but I don't know how true that is.
Seems more unlikely that WAS passes on Daniels. I have not heard anything suggesting they are taking Maye. But if NE really likes Maye the most and then WAS drafts him, then its actually more likely that NE might trade away that pick, especially if they like JJ more than Daniels. JJ to NE is a rumor I've actually heard.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:11 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:07 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm Love this. Seems like Houston should’ve gotten more for moving down to the 2nd round. I think it’s for maye but does New England really move down and pass on one of the top qb’s for the 2nd tier?
They could just not go QB at all.
if they're not going QB they're going to trade the pick if mlhouse's draft package in the maye thread is the compensation.
Yes, I didnt mean they would sit at 3 and take a different position. They would definitely trade down.
But the goal of the trade down would not be to take one of the 2nd tier QBs like that guy said.
They could just take other positional players and push off the QB decision until next year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:27 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:07 pm

They could just not go QB at all.
if they're not going QB they're going to trade the pick if mlhouse's draft package in the maye thread is the compensation.
Yes, I didnt mean they would sit at 3 and take a different position. They would definitely trade down.
But the goal of the trade down would not be to take one of the 2nd tier QBs like that guy said.
They could just take other positional players and push off the QB decision until next year.
:lol: i didn't catch the second part of his hypothesis. i could definitely see them taking a shot at a second tier QB though. for sure they could get one at 11 and they might be able to get one at 23. penix could really fall because of injury concerns. they could also use some of their draft capital to move up a few spots from 23 to get one of their QBs. right now "next year" just doesn't seem very enticing if you're going to defer on QB.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:31 pm

:lol: i didn't catch the second part of his hypothesis. i could definitely see them taking a shot at a second tier QB though. for sure they could get one at 11 and they might be able to get one at 23. penix could really fall because of injury concerns. they could also use some of their draft capital to move up a few spots from 23 to get one of their QBs. right now "next year" just doesn't seem very enticing if you're going to defer on QB.
But if you know you’re going to be bad, which they should have enough self awareness to realize that they will, then you’ll have another high pick next year.

You could get a better prospect with more infrastructure around them, and defer starting the rookie scale clock.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
j-one

Post by j-one »

They're not planning on QB at 23 Why would they trade for 23 now to get a QB when the top 6 could be gone by 23? If they like, say, Penix and Nix, they could see the draft unfolds and then trade for pick once there is only one of them left. Sure, they could still do that but way more likely they're moving up - I'd say to 5 or higher. I wouldn't be surprised if KAM called the Bears about 1. Who knows who they love at QB.

I'll predict they end up at 4.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm

But if you know you’re going to be bad, which they should have enough self awareness to realize that they will, then you’ll have another high pick next year.

You could get a better prospect with more infrastructure around them, and defer starting the rookie scale clock.
Yeah - it really all depends on their new rebuild philosophy under the new guy.... do they build the car first and insert driver into a ready made machine or force a new guy to work with the crap around him until they build it up and hope that he elevates it all.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

j-one wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm They're not planning on QB at 23 Why would they trade for 23 now to get a QB when the top 6 could be gone by 23? If they like, say, Penix and Nix, they could see the draft unfolds and then trade for pick once there is only one of them left. Sure, they could still do that but way more likely they're moving up - I'd say to 5 or higher. I wouldn't be surprised if KAM called the Bears about 1. Who knows who they love at QB.

I'll predict they end up at 4.
AZ already has two 1sts and three 3rds.
They don’t “need” more picks. Granted, you never turn down a massive war chest, but they are certainly not at a loss for top 100 picks.

If I’m AZ, I certainly am not giving up my chance at Harrison, for picks 11/23 and filler.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:09 pm
Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am

Rumors are that the Giants are also like him.
Giants GM told Drew Lock that he will be able to compete for the starting job. That should tell you Giants are potentially in play for a QB.
Interesting… I’ve read several reports saying otherwise
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

SKOLMN wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm Love this. Seems like Houston should’ve gotten more for moving down to the 2nd round. I think it’s for maye but does New England really move down and pass on one of the top qb’s for the 2nd tier?
There’s rumors of the Vikings having trade discussions with NE during the combine. NE’s starting asking price was 3 first round picks. This trade would meet that criteria and NE an opportunity to have 4 first round picks for the next two years.

I’m not sure if NE is the team though. If they are gonna pass on a QB, one would assume they would keep 3 and take MHJ.

If Arizona misses out on MHJ, I’m sure they would trade out.

The Chargers seem like the most likely team to do this. Harbaugh would gladly take 4 first rounders to start building the team into his team.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:41 pm

Yeah - it really all depends on their new rebuild philosophy under the new guy.... do they build the car first and insert driver into a ready made machine or force a new guy to work with the crap around him until they build it up and hope that he elevates it all.
even though it's murky i'd think you'd have to take a look at prospects for the next year as well unless you're thinking a two plus year rebuild. not familiar with the patriots roster, but mlhouse said that they have a decent defensive core. QB play last year doomed their season. penix in the teens or early 20s might sound real good to them from a risk/reward basis. it depends on how they're grading these QBs.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:45 pm
There’s rumors of the Vikings having trade discussions with NE during the combine. NE’s starting asking price was 3 first round picks. This trade would meet that criteria and NE an opportunity to have 4 first round picks for the next two years.

I’m not sure if NE is the team though. If they are gonna pass on a QB, one would assume they would keep 3 and take MHJ.

The Chargers seem like the most likely team to do this. Harbaugh would gladly take 4 first rounders to start building the team into his team.
you saying three first round picks to get to 5?
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Each one of those spots would come at different values though. I think only NE could command 3 first rounders (2 being current draft).
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

You are not making that trade with the Chargers though until you see how the draft plays out.

It’s being reported all over that they want Maye and they have hired his old coach. You can’t trade for #4 or #5 now and give all those picks up with the chance he’s either not there or someone trades up ahead of you.

If you are giving up the farm, you need to be guaranteed in that top 3.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:48 pm

Each one of those spots would come at different values though. I think only NE could command 3 first rounders (2 being current draft).
This isn’t a normal year. The Vikings may not be the only team that will make an offer to the Chargers. Giants, Denver, or even LV could get involved. Next year’s QB class isn’t considered special by any means.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:46 pm

even though it's murky i'd think you'd have to take a look at prospects for the next year as well unless you're thinking a two plus year rebuild. not familiar with the patriots roster, but mlhouse said that they have a decent defensive core. QB play last year doomed their season. penix in the teens or early 20s might sound real good to them from a risk/reward basis. it depends on how they're grading these QBs.
If that’s how they feel, then stay at 3 and take the QB.
QB is not like other positions where you can get the lesser prospect plus some additional fuller and be better in the macro sense.

It’s so much different.

But if that is how they feel, then it should be a red flag to us about what we’re trading up for.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

wouldn't take much for the giants to get to four.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

NE did attend Oregon's pro day. I am sure they looked at Nix.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 pm

QB is not like other positions where you can get the lesser prospect plus some additional filler and be better in the macro sense.

It’s so much different.

But if that is how they feel, then it should be a red flag to us about what we’re trading up for.
Someone’s a sucker in a trade involving two QBs.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:52 pm

You are not making that trade with the Chargers though until you see how the draft plays out.

It’s being reported all over that they want Maye and they have hired his old coach. You can’t trade for #4 or #5 now and give all those picks up with the chance he’s either not there or someone trades up ahead of you.

I’m not ruling it out. But if NE isn’t impressed with who’s there at 3, I think they will need to be convinced to give up MHJ as well. Dropping from 3 to 11 ensures you miss out on the top QB prospects or any top tier talent.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 pm
minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:48 pm

This isn’t a normal year. The Vikings may not be the only team that will make an offer to the Chargers. Giants, Denver, or even LV could get involved. Next year’s QB class isn’t considered special by any means.
Maybe true, but that doesnt change the different options at each spot. #3 obviously in the drivers seat for a specific QB a team may want. For instance if Maye is the only guy for some teams, then the other spots value dry up fast.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:58 pm

I’m not ruling it out. But if NE isn’t impressed with who’s there at 3, I think they will need to be convinced to give up MHJ as well. Dropping from 3 to 11 ensures you miss out on the top QB prospects or any top tier talent.
I feel whoever it is with, the deal has to be mostly done for the Vikings to make this move.

I’m going to predict it’s 3 1sts for NE pick.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:55 pm wouldn't take much for the giants to get to four.
It will if MHJ is available.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:00 pm

I feel whoever it is with, the deal has to be mostly done for the Vikings to make this move.

Likely a solid guess.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:00 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:55 pm wouldn't take much for the giants to get to four.
It will if MHJ is available.
well then if they're sure that is how the cards go it wouldn't take much for them to get to five. if new england stays put at three and if the consensus top three go off the board in order then things could get real interesting. it then depends on what the chargers are thinking.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:00 pm
That would set a new precedent greater than what SF did for Trey Lance. ONly one of those picks were current draft. Value goes markedly down for future years. Not saying it doesnt happen, but a chance it could be cheaper, since the lesson from Lance was that it;s too fucking much! lol
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

They should use the picks, roll with Darnold for the year, see if KOC can work some magic with him. And if it doesn't work out, we can pick our QB of the future next year, and we'll have those picks this year to put a better team around them.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I have read a scenario where MN trades with NE and selects Maye. A second in which MN trades with the Chargers and Selects McCarthy. NY is said to love JJ.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 pm

QB is not like other positions where you can get the lesser prospect plus some additional fuller and be better in the macro sense.

It’s so much different.

just moving out of the three spot would mean that there's a difference of opinion as to the value of the pick/player involved. most stock transactions involve a person who is afraid the stock is going to go down selling to someone who thinks it's going to go up. have to trust your evaluators/evaluation.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Not entirely true. If 5 or more QB's go in the top 10, then that alone pushes very talented players lower.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

This place will explode if the Vikes move up for McCarthy. And there is a real possibility of that.

Bozos who watch "tape," aka "youtube videos," will smear their angry tirades all over this place because "they know what's best." I look forward to that and why I could never leave here.

I have over twenty years of frequenting this place, and draft night is the best night to be here. Nothing else comes close.
Last edited by Offsides 97 defense on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"