Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
BuDG123

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by BuDG123 »

So when under pressure last year:

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

JJ also converted 3rd downs at a much higher clip than Maye. Play action percentages and yards goto McCarthy by 2 yards and 10% more successful.

Mayes had lollipop long throws the receivers were waiting on and those are ints in the NFL. Not seeing all the Maye love after watching all the YouTube’s. We will see, but I don’t see Maye as a sure fire NFL QB prospect.

Why is Maye preferred given he is lacking in all those important statistical rankings vs McCarthy? Under pressure, 3rd down conversions, play action % and yardage gained, big time throw % all tip in JJs favor, and it’s not close. Are people seeing what they want to see and ignoring performance?
Last edited by BuDG123 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

BuDG123 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:09 am So when under pressure last year:

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

JJ also converted 3rd downs at a much higher clip than Maye.

Mayes had lollipop long throws the receivers were waiting on and those are ints in the NFL. Not seeing all the Maye love after watching all the YouTube’s. We will see, but I don’t see Maye as a sure fire NFL QB prospect.
What percentage of throws was Maye pressured compared to JJ? I don’t think he had nearly the offensive line that JJ did. I have seen some plays of JJ stepping into the pocket and taking a hit right before he throws. I’ll give you that, but I think Maye was pressured at a much higher rate.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:14 am

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

What percentage of throws was Maye pressured compared to JJ? I don’t think he had nearly the offensive line that JJ did. I have seen some plays of JJ stepping into the pocket and taking a hit right before he throws. I’ll give you that, but I think Maye was pressured at a much higher rate.

This spreadsheet analyzes exactly that and other key metrics from 2023 for the top 6 QBs from NCAA last year. Can you guess which QB is which?
Spoiler:
QB1 Bo Nix .

QB2 Drake Maye. .

QB3 JJ McCarthy. .

QB4 Caleb Williams. .

QB5 Jayden Daniels. .

QB6 Michael Penix Jr. .
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

BuDG123 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:19 am

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

This spreadsheet analyzes exactly that and other key metrics from 2023 for the top 6 QBs from NCAA last year. Can you guess which QB is which?
Spoiler:
QB1 Bo Nix .

QB2 Drake Maye. .

QB3 JJ McCarthy. .

QB4 Caleb Williams. .

QB5 Jayden Daniels. .

QB6 Michael Penix Jr. .
Again, that doesn’t show the percentage of plays that they are actually pressured. If Maye is pressured on 25% more of the plays, the likelihood that he’s going to have worse numbers increases.

That is an interesting chart though. Appreciate the share.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

McCarthy played on a much more talented roster than Maye.
4 Tar Heels were invited to the NFL combine. A record 18 Michigan players were invited, including 11 offensive players and 6 offensive linemen.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:01 am

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

4 Tar Heels were invited to the NFL combine. A record 18 Michigan players were invited, including 11 offensive players and 6 offensive linemen.
he also faced much better defenses. as an aside who do you think has a better arm?
D_H

Post by D_H »

It’s Maye !!!

If the Vikings are going to move up to 3 ahead of the draft, they'd have to be comfortable landing both Daniels and Maye. If there's one of those guys they prefer — and there's buzz that they're big fans of Maye — would they wait until draft night to see what Washington does at 2?

The recent track record of teams trading up into the top three for a quarterback is rough, to say the least. But that shouldn't be a deterrent. If the Vikings are all in on Maye or Daniels, it's a swing worth taking.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Maye would be great, but not gonna happen. "And with pick #4 we have the Minnesota Vikings selecting JJ McCarthy, QB, University of Michigan."
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:11 pm Maye would be great, but not gonna happen. "And with pick #4 we have the Minnesota Vikings selecting JJ McCarthy, QB, University of Michigan."
Are you calling a long shot?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

BuDG123 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:19 am

Maye:

46% completion rate
6.7 YPP
66 QBR

JJ McCarthy:

76% completion rate
9.5 YPP
112 QBR

Spoiler:
QB1 Bo Nix .

QB2 Drake Maye. .

QB3 JJ McCarthy. .

QB4 Caleb Williams. .

QB5 Jayden Daniels. .

QB6 Michael Penix Jr. .
Boner material for KAM!

Interesting stuff there. Nix looks a lot better on that spreadsheet. Gotta hope our coaches are analyzing every detail for this pick.

This is feeling like picking winning lottery numbers at certain point, but the coaches must have something in mind. You’d hope.
witljon

Post by witljon »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:03 am

he also faced much better defenses. as an aside who do you think has a better arm?
Much better defenses? How so? Michigan went undefeated.
Only a couple of games were close.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pm

he faced better defenses than maye. much better. you can find the stats in one of these threads. hope that helps.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

There is no way I would trade two first-round picks for McCarthy if he is not who I want in the first place I would just remain where I am and draft the best defense player and get with Penix or Nix
witljon

Post by witljon »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pm

he faced better defenses than maye. much better. you can find the stats in one of these threads. hope that helps.
It might help you…. :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Fun to talk about all this but I'm now experiencing draft talk fatigue....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:51 pm
William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:11 pm Maye would be great, but not gonna happen. "And with pick #4 we have the Minnesota Vikings selecting JJ McCarthy, QB, University of Michigan."
I see the Vikings trading for #4 and picking McCarthy as the most likely trade-up scenario to occur. I do not think that the Vikings can get Maye.
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm
I see the Vikings trading for #4 and picking McCarthy as the most likely trade-up scenario to occur. I do not think that the Vikings can get Maye.
I think there’s a decent chance McCarthy makes it to pick 11.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:41 pm

I will not be shocked if Nix goes ahead of him.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I don't think that McCarthy gets past the Giants at #6.
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:50 pm

I don't think that McCarthy gets past the Giants at #6.
And I do.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

New Mock From The Athletic

4. Minnesota Vikings (from ARI*): Drake Maye, QB, UNC
Projected trade: Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder

The draft community and many in the league view Minnesota’s recent acquisition of a second 2024 first-round pick as evidence that a bold move into the top five is coming. That’s a fair presumption, but it also implies that the Vikings are good with whichever top quarterback prospect falls to four. In this exercise, we’re saying the staff has a specific target in mind and, more importantly, feels comfortable he will be available.

Quarterbacks coach Josh McCown was on Maye’s high school staff, and the prospect with prototypical size and traits for the position seems like the better fit among the likely candidates for coach Kevin O’Connell — which means they go the extra mile to get the passer they want. The variance among league sources on Maye following a choppy final college season ranges from a longtime quarterbacks coach/offensive assistant saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

#3 was New England taking JJ McCarthy.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 am New Mock From The Athletic

4. Minnesota Vikings (from ARI*): Drake Maye, QB, UNC
Projected trade: Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder

The draft community and many in the league view Minnesota’s recent acquisition of a second 2024 first-round pick as evidence that a bold move into the top five is coming. That’s a fair presumption, but it also implies that the Vikings are good with whichever top quarterback prospect falls to four. In this exercise, we’re saying the staff has a specific target in mind and, more importantly, feels comfortable he will be available.

Quarterbacks coach Josh McCown was on Maye’s high school staff, and the prospect with prototypical size and traits for the position seems like the better fit among the likely candidates for coach Kevin O’Connell — which means they go the extra mile to get the passer they want. The variance among league sources on Maye following a choppy final college season ranges from a longtime quarterbacks coach/offensive assistant saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

#3 was New England taking JJ McCarthy.
That would certainly please a number around here.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

New Drake Maye video... Really nicely done.

Would you give up 3 first round picks? The raw talent this guy has is pretty incredible and he's 21. In the grand scheme of things if he was to work out the picks are worth it. 2025 you have massive cap space. In 2026 your back to a full slate of draft picks and a potential franchise QB on a rookie contract.

Patriots owner says teams are desperate and they have to trade down and pass on said QB, or maybe it's Jayden Daniels. I think Minnesota will wait to see if Washington passes on Maye, if they do they might make the Godfather Offer.

After O'Connell kinda dismissed "knowing" his QB coach was Drake's HC today on Macafee show it's kind of a tell. Or I'm over thinking it.

Either way if they do it there's a lot to be excited about.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm New Drake Maye video... Really nicely done.

Would you give up 3 first round picks? The raw talent this guy has is pretty incredible and he's 21. In the grand scheme of things if he was to work out the picks are worth it. 2025 you have massive cap space. In 2026 your back to a full slate of draft picks and a potential franchise QB on a rookie contract.

Patriots owner says teams are desperate and they have to trade down and pass on said QB, or maybe it's Jayden Daniels. I think Minnesota will wait to see if Washington passes on Maye, if they do they might make the Godfather Offer.

After O'Connell kinda dismissed "knowing" his QB coach was Drake's HC today on Macafee show it's kind of a tell. Or I'm over thinking it.

Yes I would give up the 3 picks for him and the Vikings would too. It’s a matter of getting NE to trade and also the Commanders not selecting him, some think they will.

PA is saying the Vikings already have a handshake deal to whoever it is.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm New Drake Maye video... Nicely done.

Yes I would give up the 3 picks for him and the Vikings would too. It’s a matter of getting NE to trade and also the Commanders not selecting him, some think they will.

PA is saying the Vikings already have a handshake deal with whoever it is.
I don't believe they have a handshake deal because they would complete the deal unless the Vikings think they can go higher to the commander pick otherwise no reason to wait.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cdr2529 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:28 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm New Drake Maye video... Nicely done.

I don't believe they have a handshake deal because they would complete the deal unless the Vikings think they can go higher to the commander pick otherwise no reason to wait.
Handshake deal means we want Maye and the Patriots have already agreed to compensation for the 3 pick. But if Washington takes Maye, then we don't want it. That's why it hasn't happened.

It's speculation, but that's what it could be.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 pm

Handshake deal means we want Maye and the Patriots have already agreed to compensation for the 3 pick. But if Washington takes Maye, then we don't want it. That's why it hasn't happened.

Understand but they need to get there anyway if they want their franchise QB and Daniels could be it as well
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Yep, I believe this is what is happening.

Hopefully WASH wants Daniels.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm

So you believe that the Vikings only think that maybe is the franchise QB? If so they will not get into the top five

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cdr2529 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:35 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm

So you believe that the Vikings only think that maybe is the franchise QB? If so they will not get into the top five

Maye is the guy they really want, it’s not a question at this point.

Do I think they would trade into the top 5 for someone other than Maye? I don’t think so. There might be a shot they would go after McCarthy but I don’t think they would pay the price that some other team will if he is to go in the top 5. I don’t know what to really think of them and Daniels. I have no clue on that one if they like him or not.

Even better yet I hope WASH takes JJ.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master