Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

What about Drake Maye?

Post by cunningham »

Was coached by our new quarterback coach and here is the latest mock from CBS Sports with us taking him:
Bears
Caleb Williams
USC, Jr QB

Washington
Jayden Daniels
LSU, Sr QB

Pats
J.J. McCarthy
Michigan, Jr QB

Cards
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Ohio State, Jr WR

Vikings
Drake Maye
North Carolina, Soph
MOCK TRADE from LAC
STATS
CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
2023 269 425 63.3 3,608 8.5 24 9 77 149.0
2022 342 517 66.2 4,321 8.4 38 7 80 157.9

Pretty low Completion Percentage... Scares me away.
Small Hands

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by Small Hands »

He had some glaringly bad performances last year. He’s the wild card for me. I think he could end up being the best of the bunch. He has all the intangibles. His footwork is causing his accuracy issues. That 100% can be cleaned up. Just ask Josh Allen.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I'm not a one to one QB guru, however the case for Maye is going to be based more on his 2022 numbers vs his 2023s.
That's why he was universally seen as the #2 prospect going into this year.

In 2022 he had Josh Downs, who ended up being a 3rd rd pick, so that was a far better representation of what Maye is capable of when he has support.
In 2023, he didn't have a WR within 50 catches of what Downs ended up with in 2022, and alot of QBs can struggle in those circumstances.

Maye is often comped to Justin Herbert, so here's a comparison of Maye's 2022 numbers to Herbert's final year in college...

Maye
66.2% completion
8.4 y/a
38 TDs
7 INTs
157.9 passer rating

Herbert
66.8% completion
8.1 y/a
32 TDs
6 INTs
156.8 passer rating

The hope would be that you'd be getting the 2022 version, but for us specifically we're also a team that is prepared to give him JJ, TJ, Addison, Darrisaw/O'Neill and KOC, so we could be just the right fit to maximize his ability.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am I'm not a one to one QB guru, however the case for Maye is going to be based more on his 2022 numbers vs his 2023s.

In 2022 he had Josh Downs, who ended up being a 3rd rd pick, so that was a far better representation of what Maye is capable of when he has support.
In 2023, he didn't have a WR within 50 catches of what Downs ended up with in 2022, and alot of QBs can struggle in those circumstances.

Maye is often comped to Justin Herbert, so here's a comparison of Maye's 2022 numbers to Herbert's final year in college...

Maye
66.2% completion
8.4 y/a
38 TDs
7 INTs
157.9 passer rating

Herbert
66.8% completion
8.1 y/a
32 TDs
6 INTs
156.8 passer rating

The hope would be that you'd be getting the 2022 version, but for us specifically we're also a team that is prepared to give him JJ, TJ, Addison, Darrisaw/O'Neill and KOC, so we could be just the right fit to maximize his ability.
Exactly, we need to consider the competition level of his conference with the weapons he had to use. Not great odds for him, but he shows on tape that he can do everything an elite NFL quarterback does. He just needs to show consistency.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:00 am
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am I'm not a one to one QB guru, however the case for Maye is going to be based more on his 2022 numbers vs his 2023s.

Maye
66.2% completion
8.4 y/a
38 TDs
7 INTs
157.9 passer rating

Herbert
66.8% completion
8.1 y/a
32 TDs
6 INTs
156.8 passer rating

Exactly, we need to consider the competition level of his conference with the weapons he had to use. Not great odds for him, but he shows on tape that he can do everything an elite NFL quarterback does. He just needs to show consistency.
But people also nitpicked Herbert to death too.
He was also thought of as a very likely 1-2 pick going into his final year, and ended up sliding all the way to 6.

We can't be afraid of him just because of the normal over analysis that comes with being such a big name.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Drake Maye is 100% the QB I want. He feels like hes somewhere between Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. Make it happen Kwesi!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

McCarthy picked 3rd overall? Lol
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
rtb

Post by rtb »

He had a change in O Coordinator last year too which probably explains some of the dip in numbers. I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land him, feel like he is definitely a guy who might slip a little and everyone will look back and wonder why.
rtb

Post by rtb »

Or it's all smoke and he goes #2 overall when all is said and done
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

rtb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:08 am Or it's all smoke and he goes #2 overall when all is said and done
Sure.
But the fact that it's even a possibility is reason to be intrigued.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

rtb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:08 am Or it's all smoke and he goes #2 overall when all is said and done
Daniels had way better stats. JJ was falling I thought and now this mock had the Pats taking him. Surprising.

From my own memory it feels like whenever we drafted a guy who was good 2 years ago, but struggled the year we drafted them it never panned out.

Teddy Bridgewater was above 71% in college and didn't amount to much in the NFL. Lamar Jackson replaced him and was below 60%. Ended up having the better college career. Maye had the lowest completion percentage out of Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, or Penix.

Pressure is on KOC and KAM to figure this one out.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 am
Daniels had way better stats. JJ was falling I thought and now this mock had the Pats taking him. Surprising.

From my own memory it feels like whenever we drafted a guy who was good 2 years ago, but struggled the year we drafted them it never panned out.

Teddy Bridgewater was above 71% in college and didn't amount to much in the NFL. Lamar Jackson replaced him and was below 60%. Ended up having the better college career. Maye had the lowest completion percentage out of Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, or Penix.

Pressure is on KOC and KAM to figure this one out.
A possible counter to that is that Jayden Daniels is almost 24 years old and has played five years of college ball, whereas Maye is two years younger.
Not to mention the fact that Daniels was playing with two eventual 1st rd WRs this year, one who could easily go in the top 5.

Is he really better, or is he just older and working with better talent?
I don't know, but I think there's enough there to question his 2023 stats.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

So this will be a draft day decision right? How many plans do we need? Who should we stack our eggs with?
Bears are staying put.
Washington should stay put.
NE will rape any team for that pick.
AZ should take a WR for Kyler.
So that leaves LA for a trade partner if JJ falls (or any of the top 4)
Giants need a QB.

So what do we to give up to move into top 5?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:02 pm So this will be a draft day decision right? How many plans do we need? Who should we stack our eggs with?
Bears are staying put.
Giants need a QB.

It's probably going to have to be a future 1.
It'd be so easy for them to just accept a 3rd rd pick from the Giants to move down 1 spot, so you'd have to make it worth their while to instead move all the way to 11 and into a different possible tier of players.

Also, nice use of the phrase rape when talking about a Bob Kraft team.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
just joking, I know he didn't in his case and it's not right to make references like this, but I'm gonna anyway.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

There are some rumors that the Patriots are not sold on Drake Maye.

The more I dig into these QB's and look at JJ McCarthy the more I like him. I believe he's way gone by #11 AND it's very possible the Patriots want him.

That's my feel on the situation if the Drake Maye rumors are true. This is a wild draft with these QB's because the opinions are all over the board.

One things for sure, JJ's stock has increased quite a bit, steam on all three the Giants, Vikings and Broncos really liking him. Patriots could too.

The wild card here is the Chargers, does Harbaugh truly believe in JJ like he would make this move and trade the other QB for high draft capital? Seems crazy but you can't discount it. Is Harbaugh cool with not having a Mobile QB in this kinda new era of guys that add live plays? And he put Kapernack on, really before that there wasn't these very mobile QB's.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:02 pm So this will be a draft day decision right? How many plans do we need? Who should we stack our eggs with?
Bears are staying put.
Giants need a QB.

How much do we know about New England's new regime? Is it cast off Bellicheck guys? He's not there to run the show anymore it might not look the same.

There in the same boat as every other team that doesn't have a sure fire Franchise QB.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Would love Maye.

Make it happen, Kwesi!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beetlejuice wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:07 am McCarthy picked 3rd overall? Lol
Pats see some sort of IT factor with him akin to Brady.

Brilliant if they are right. Glaringly pitiful reach if they are wrong. At least they arent trading multiple firsts for him.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm Would love Maye.

Make it happen, Kwesi!
Same
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm There are some rumors that the Patriots are not sold on Drake Maye.

The more I dig into these QB's and look at JJ McCarthy the more I like him. I believe he's way gone by #11 AND it's very possible the Patriots want him.

That's my feel on the situation if the Drake Maye rumors are true. This is a wild draft with these QB's because the opinions are all over the board.

One things for sure, JJ's stock has increased quite a bit, steam on all three the Giants, Vikings and Broncos really liking him. Patriots could too.

The wild card here is the Chargers, does Harbaugh truly believe in JJ like he would make this move and trade the other QB for high draft capital? Seems crazy but you can't discount it. Is Harbaugh cool with not having a Mobile QB in this kinda new era of guys that add live plays? And he put Kapernack on, really before that there wasn't these very mobile QB's.
Regarding Harbaugh, my thought would be that if he really loved JJ and wanted to continue working with him in the future, that he should have just pursued the Washington job.

They have the higher pick, a couple of great young players at premium positions already on their 2nd contracts, and a shit ton of cap space to work with. It would have been far easier to build up than the Chargers, that have been mismanaged for so many years.

Herbert has to the draw to the Chargers job, otherwise I don't think it makes sense.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

minnemike wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:17 pm

Brilliant if they are right. Glaringly pitiful reach if they are wrong. At least they arent trading multiple firsts for him.
That's the beauty of it for the Patriots.

I'm gonna keep digging on the rumors about Maye that I mentioned earlier but my little bit of work on these QB's and I'm not sold either.

He's got all the size, arm strength and all that. That's fine but being a legit Franchise QB is as much mental talent as anything.

Just my opinion but JJ is projecting very well for me as a pro. A good situation doesn't hurt though. A dumpster fire situation is gonna be tough on anyone.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm There are some rumors that the Patriots are not sold on Drake Maye.

that's an interesting point that could definitely be in play. they're getting younger and they have mahomes in that division. they could definitely be planning for a move to be good enough to take the chiefs out in 2-3 years. that would fit in real well with getting younger at QB and getting the draft capital if he's sold on his college QB.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:21 pm

Regarding Harbaugh, my thought would be that if he really loved JJ and wanted to continue working with him in the future, that he should have just pursued the Washington job.

They have the higher pick, a couple of great young players at premium positions already on their 2nd contracts, and a shit ton of cap space to work with. It would have been far easier to build up than the Chargers, that have been mismanaged for so many years.

Herbert has to the draw to the Chargers job, otherwise I don't think it makes sense.
I don't know what he situation is with the owners of either team but it might me that. Washington has had some very odd ownership over the years. They have struggled for years and years.

Herbert is definitely a plus when looking at that job. I do like dual threat QB's but elite passer first always in a QB.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 pm

I'm gonna keep digging on the rumors about Maye that I mentioned earlier but my little bit of work on these QB's and I'm not sold either.

He's got all the size, arm strength and all that. That's fine but being a legit Franchise QB is as much mental talent as anything.

Just my opinion but JJ is projecting very well for me as a pro. A good situation doesn't hurt though. A dumpster fire situation is gonna be tough on anyone.
i don't like the JJ steam of him going #3. i'd like the vikings to get him at #5. if you're picking behind the giants you just might get sniped.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm

that's an interesting point that could definitely be in play. they're getting younger and they have mahomes in that division. they could definitely be planning for a move to be good enough to take the chiefs out in 2-3 years. that would fit in real well with getting younger at QB and getting the draft capital if he's sold on his college QB.
It could be a long shot theory and Harbaugh just backing his guy. Does he really believe he's the best QB?

If he deep down thinks that and would like a mobile QB you just never know. I think chances are they stick with Herbert but again if he really thinks JJ is the best QB of this class and has a chance to get him it might of crossed his mind.
Last edited by -VikingsTw- on Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:33 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 pm

i don't like the JJ steam of him going #3. i'd like the vikings to get him at #5. if you're picking behind the giants you just might get sniped.
They'd have to watch the Giants for sure. I guess the Danny Levito love has died off but I watched him slay the Packers. That was really good game for him.

They need weapons, Oline, there in tough shape losing Saquon. At least the Vikings have pieces.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

They saw no it factor with Brady. They basically flipped a coin to choose either Brady or Tim Rattay that year.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Wadaboutem? (Mobster Voice)

Drake is my GUY.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:21 pm

san diego's consistently rated as the number one city in america weather-wise bud.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Holy balls we really have people thinking Harbaugh wants to give up Herbert for JJ? 😂

Harbaugh is just trying to get his guy picked high.

If that’s the case get on the horn Kwesi. I’ll take Herbert over any QB coming out in this draft. :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master