Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
weimy froob

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by weimy froob »

minnemike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:21 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:20 pm
cunningham wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:16 pm A few weeks ago some of the rumors coming out were that NE wanted Williams or Daniels, but if both were taken they would look way lower. I was shocked, but I’ve liked Daniels the most of the lot so far.

About a week later all of a sudden the Vikings taking Maye and NE taking JJ came up. I thought it was too good and posted the mock here.

Then a few days later we trade for a first rounder. Also, it starts to come out that McCown coached Maye.

Cousins leaves. We sign Darnold and he is all about “getting a shot” and says “um” about 5 thousand times: 1 year deal.

Now mocks are showing us with JJ or Maye. People are talking.

NE just drafted a first round quarterback who wasn’t the top rated one and it cost their coach his job. That quarterback is gone. They might be gunshy as it has only been a few years. Maybe they are willing to go with JJ or Penix later to not upset the fan base? At #11 they get a stud player and at #23 they can take Penix or trade down further and take Nix?

Maybe they like JJ and know they can get the Vikings to trade the farm for Maye?

I just got a feeling from post-combine that NE was not sold on Maye. But it is rumor season.
that's a lot of typing that doesn't get you anywhere if washington takes maye. that's still a definite possibility.
I'd be fine with Daniels no doubt!
new england could as well. i'm not too sold on this idea that they're going to move off their spot just because people think they have a lot of spots to fill on their roster.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:26 pm

that's a lot of typing that doesn't get you anywhere if washington takes maye. that's still a definite possibility.
new england could as well. i'm not too sold on this idea that they're going to move off their spot just because people think they have a lot of spots to fill on their roster.
Then you are back to #5 being the trade spot unless AZ is willing to deal. And that would likely be for JJ. NYG will be in on him. I would think though, the whole fact MN already made this deal means they know what NE is thinking. It doesnt make much sense to trade for the #23 unless you already have a perfect idea of what is going to happen (i.e. NE wants to trade out). The rumor of a handshake deal makes the most sense to me so far.

Then the key here is what sort of steam has you thinking WAS passes on Daniels?
Last edited by minnemike on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

cunningham wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:16 pm A few weeks ago some of the rumors coming out were that NE wanted Williams or Daniels, but if both were taken they would look way lower. I was shocked, but I’ve liked Daniels the most of the lot so far.

About a week later all of a sudden the Vikings taking Maye and NE taking JJ came up. I thought it was too good and posted the mock here.

Then a few days later we trade for a first rounder. Also, it starts to come out that McCown coached Maye.

Cousins leaves. We sign Darnold and he is all about “getting a shot” and says “um” about 5 thousand times: 1 year deal.

NE just drafted a first round quarterback who wasn’t the top rated one and it cost their coach his job. That quarterback is gone. They might be gunshy as it has only been a few years. Maybe they are willing to go with JJ or Penix later to not upset the fan base? At #11 they get a stud player and at #23 they can take Penix or trade down further and take Nix?

Maybe they like JJ and know they can get the Vikings to trade the farm for Maye?

I just got a feeling from post-combine that NE was not sold on Maye. But it is rumor season.
That would screw us if NE stayed pat and took Daniels.

Then I would trade down to get picks for next year.

Sometimes I wonder how real the draft is. These teams are billion dollar corporations. Cousins was house shopping prior to the deal posting. We hired McCown, who happened to coach Maye in high school?

I’m not saying it is all fake, but maybe some things are not quite the surprise we think as fans that they are? There are 32 GMs and this is Kwesi’s 3rd draft.

I think KOC and Kwesi have learned a lot during their time in the NFL. I think they have many different plans.

Or is that just what we are told to get us talking and create drama?

This is the most exciting offseason in my memory for the quarterback position. And I like the Sam Darnold signing as well.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:24 pm

Then you take Daniels - Kurt Warner has him ranked as a second best quarterback coming out.

Willams
Nix
Penix
Daniels
Maye

These guys are all considered franchise quarterbacks by the Hall of Famer, Kurt Warner - I trust his opinion.
Do you think having a gay quarterback is still a stigma in today's NFL? He would be the leader in the clubhouse.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

minnemike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:29 pm

Then you are back to #5 being the trade spot unless AZ is willing to deal. And that would likely be for JJ. NYG will be in on him. I would think though, the whole fact MN already made this deal means they know what NE is thinking. It's doesnt make much sense to trade for the #23 unless you already have a perfect idea of what is going to happen (i.e. NE wants to trade out)
All this for JJ? It would be nice if our coaches let any opinion leak about these quarterbacks. We need reporters at the pro days.
D_H

Post by D_H »

cunningham wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:29 pm

That would screw us if NE stayed pat and took Daniels.

Then I would trade down to get picks for next year.

Sometimes I wonder how real the draft is. These teams are billion dollar corporations. Cousins was house shopping prior to the deal posting. We hired McCown, who happened to coach Maye in high school?

I’m not saying it is all fake, but maybe some things are not quite the surprise we think as fans that they are? There are 32 GMs and this is Kwesi’s 3rd draft.

I think KOC and Kwesi have learned a lot during their time in the NFL. I think they have many different plans.

Or is that just what we are told to get us talking and create drama?

This is the most exciting offseason in my memory for the quarterback position. And I like the Sam Darnold signing as well.

You don’t make a deal like this unless you already have something worked out obviously. Chicago is taking Williams, Washington is taking Daniels, & New England is trading us their pick so we can take Maye.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

cunningham wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 pm

Then you are back to #5 being the trade spot unless AZ is willing to deal. And that would likely be for JJ. NYG will be in on him. I would think though, the whole fact MN already made this deal means they know what NE is thinking. It's doesnt make much sense to trade for the #23 unless you already have a perfect idea of what is going to happen (i.e. NE wants to trade out)
All this for JJ? It would be nice if our coaches let any opinion leak about these quarterbacks. We need reporters at the pro days.
I put that out there as what they would do if they cant get Maye or Daniels, but again, I highly doubt MN trades for #23 without knowing they cant get into the #3 spot. They already had enough capital to move into #5 before trading for #23.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Then you are back to #5 being the trade spot unless AZ is willing to deal. And that would likely be for JJ. NYG will be in on him. I would think though, the whole fact MN already made this deal means they know what NE is thinking. It doesnt make much sense to trade for the #23 unless you already have a perfect idea of what is going to happen (i.e. NE wants to trade out). The rumor of a handshake deal makes the most sense to me so far.

eventually we'll see how it all plays out.
D_H

Post by D_H »

minnemike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 pm

I put that out there as what they would do if they cant get Maye or Daniels, but again, I highly doubt MN trades for #23 without knowing they cant get into the #3 spot. They already had enough capital to move into #5 before trading for #23.

Anything and everything is noteworthy in NFL Draft speculation season, so when a Minnesota Vikings insider says the Vikings "adore" a certain quarterback in the draft you are obligated to take it seriously. Something like that, so let's dive into this one about Drake Maye... 

In his notebook of findings from the NFL Combine, The Athletic's Alec Lewis wrote about the addition of Josh McCown as head coach Kevin O'Connell's quarterbacks coach and noted that McCown coached Drake Maye in high school. Lewis then wrote these four words about Maye: "whom the Vikings adore."

Line up for your Drake Maye jerseys kids it’s gonna happen
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:38 pm

eventually we'll see how it all plays out.
Another wrinkle.... does NE value Daniels so much that they trade 2 and 3 in a swap. That likely costs NE a 2nd, maybe even a future first. It would also mean WAS doesn't like Daniels that much. But again, have not read any steam suggesting WAS is out with Daniels.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:41 pm
minnemike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 pm

Anything and everything is noteworthy in NFL Draft speculation season, so when a Minnesota Vikings insider says the Vikings "adore" a certain quarterback in the draft you are obligated to take it seriously. Something like that, so let's dive into this one about Drake Maye... 

In his notebook of findings from the NFL Combine, The Athletic's Alec Lewis wrote about the addition of Josh McCown as head coach Kevin O'Connell's quarterbacks coach and noted that McCown coached Drake Maye in high school. Lewis then wrote these four words about Maye: "whom the Vikings adore."

Line up for your Drake Maye jerseys kids it’s gonna happen
D_H

BREAKING NEWS ON WHO THE QB VIKINGS WANT!’

Post by D_H »

Not surprised but nevertheless news worthy

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minn ... fkuxhrrywf
Oriole81

Re: BREAKING NEWS ON WHO THE QB VIKINGS WANT!’

Post by Oriole81 »

I bet your thread gets merged with other threads
In before!
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
D_H

Post by D_H »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm I bet your thread gets merged with other threads
In before!

That would be fine, but it deserves its own headline one would think
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I can't imagine the Vikes would let anyone know what they are willing to give up. Smoke and mirrors IMO.
Charles Bronson

Post by Charles Bronson »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:31 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm I bet your thread gets merged with other threads
In before!

One (you) would be wrong.

There are already plenty of threads on each possible quarterback as well as a general quarterback thread and a draft thread. Please put your future Drake Maye slurping and JJ McCarthy slandering in one of the existing appropriate threads.

Thank you.
Audiences like to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

In before!

Sounds like the guy is giving his opinion.

I think we'd all be convinced that if the Vikings had the #1 pick it wouldn't be for JJ McCarthy. Right or wrong in the end.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Charles Bronson wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:57 pm
In before!

There are already plenty of threads on each possible quarterback as well as a general quarterback thread and a draft thread. Please put your future Drake Maye slurping and JJ McCarthy slandering in one of the existing appropriate threads.

Thank you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 pm

Thank you.
If given those two options, the very plugged in Minnesota Vikings beat writer and insider, Alec Lewis (The Athletic), is putting his money on Kwesi giving up whatever additional assets are needed to move up higher, in order to land Maye. That, in Kevin O’Connell’s eyes, there’s a large gap between Maye and McCarthy.

Lol
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Thank you.
If given those two options, the very plugged in Minnesota Vikings beat writer and insider, Alec Lewis (The Athletic), is putting his money on Kwesi giving up whatever additional assets are needed to move up higher, in order to land Maye. That, in Kevin O’Connell’s eyes, there’s a large gap between Maye and McCarthy.

Lol
Does anyone know if Kwesi/KOC has visited the "Vikings Milfers" thread and observed the key mother-related data that we have pulled?
I think that is important for if we're planning on making such an investment.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Thank you.

Lol
D_H

Post by D_H »

The most likely path to a trade-up for Minnesota is if New England is left with their favorite QB prospect off the board at No. 3 overall. If that favorite QB is Jayden Daniels, Minnesota could make a move for Maye.

A move up may be costly, but the Vikings are actively making moves to prepare for that cost. Josh McCown — Minnesota’s QBs coach who coached Maye in high school — has a unique perspective on the Tar Heels’ passer. And on film, there’s a strong case to make that Maye is worth the risk.

Maye is a prototypical QB with exceptional functional athleticism and elite composite arm talent, and he brings high-level flashes of pocket feel and anticipation. He can work off-platform and create, but he also has the talent, poise, and leverage IQ to dissect defenses from within the pocket.

As a pure talent, Maye isn’t dissimilar to Packers star Jordan Love, and he wouldn’t need to sit for multiple seasons like Love did.

There’s already a deal worked out with NE kids they’re moving up to get Drake Maye!
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

The current deal with NE is 11 & 23 plus next year's first (I'm think so but it's still a guess). (they might throw something back or we might need to throw something more) but that's the base of it. It's steep but that is the cost. They will effectively be trading away, this year's first and second and next year's first and second.

23 is nice but it's low and that is signficant. It's next year's first that is the prize as it will likely be high, real high. But Kwesi would have blown those picks anyway. So we traded away an Ed Ingram, a Lewis Cine, a Nate Booth etc. The real loser in the deal is the Lions who will need to fleece someone else to continue their ascention.

(It's a shame they won that Raider game.... but that 3-0 win was definitely worth it).

If they hit on Maye or Daniels, who cares about the cost? If they miss, that sucks. But I like taking a swing on Maye or Daniels more than I like taking a swing on McCarthy. Although McCarthy is a fine swing at a lower cost.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:28 pm
Yep.

From what I’m hearing, nobody wants to trade off of the top 3. I highly doubt AZ trades out with MHJ on the board either. Although picking at #4 or #5 means absolutely nothing if AZ isn’t moving off MHJ.

If it all plays out like this, I hope we use our two picks and don’t trade down. That trade with the Texans was a good trade regardless that they should have done no matter the circumstances as I would do that every year if offered.

I just don’t think there is a clear cut guy in the second tier and I don’t have a lot of faith that any of them are going to be anything special. I rather just take defense with #11 and a QB with #23 if we can’t make it into the top 3.

There is a lot of talk all of a sudden about the Patriots loving all these QBs and not wanting to move off the pick so hopefully it’s just all to put pressure on the Vikings offer. Im not excited to see this team pick from the best of the second group at a position that rarely pans out. For once I would love to see them get a top QB in the draft from the very top tier.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Isn't that the guy from Eating Gilbert Grape?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:57 pm
Isn't that the guy from Eating Gilbert Grape?
:lol: Sort of.....Image

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Well, if Carlos says it, who are any of us to disagree?

This time of year there’s enough smoke out there to justify anything. If you want your bias confirmed, Twitter/X will oblige.

For example:

Carlos vs Dan! To the death!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:29 pm
Well, if Carlos says it, who are any of us to disagree?

This time of year there’s enough smoke out there to justify anything. If you want your bias confirmed, Twitter/X will oblige.

For example:

Carlos vs Dan! To the death!
Carlos isn't claiming to know this information personally. Carlos is citing what a specific journalist is reporting.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Here’s one that says the Pats are taking JJ with Maye on the board, dropping Jake down to a gettable #4.

Here’s another one that says Penix is the best fit for New England and they should take the trade with the Vikings.

Whatever you want, Twitter/X will confirm!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov