Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by Beef Supreme »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:18 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:12 pm I agree with taking a swing but you can't take a swing if no one will pitch to you
“Everyone has a price”

- Ted DiBiase.
Not the Bears, commander, patriots
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Penix/Nix + Turner > McCarthy is an easy position to argue. Good merit to that. But I’ll be disappointed either way. I want to take the big swing, like the Wolves did.

Most fun season in two decades. I know it’s not the exact same situation. But the point is, don’t be shy. Don’t be afraid, Take a swing.
I agree but I’m only willing to take that swing on one of the top 3.
I’m starting to warm up to Daniels a bit. His frame scared me earlier, but he’s the most accurate QB of the bunch and I could see him coming into our system and instantly being good. As long as he stays healthy of course.
Oh I would love Daniels also. I love all of the top 3 and dare I say I might like Daniels and Maye of Williams? If I’m a GM, I’m definitely not getting cute and passing on Williams but I won’t be surprised if he’s not the best of the bunch.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

It's too bad we will not get any of the top three QBand I pray we don't settle for McCarthy as a consolation
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm It's too bad we will not get any of the top three QBand I pray we don't settle for McCarthy as a consolation
That's crazy because we're gonna come back, rank all the top three guys out of this draft and it's probably not gonna look like what it looks like right now.

Chill tf out and have some faith.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:42 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:30 pm I am beginning to sour a bit on 3 first round picks to get Maye. The Pats didn't really care for Maye was the rumor out of the combine. Then you have that the Pats would not take him, which is a bit of a red flag.

Then we have how much SF traded for Lance and how he busted. Fields - bust. Mac Jones - bust. Just bust after bust.

McCarthy is even more likely to bust as most National Champion quarterbacks have struggled in the NFL.

Part of me just feels like taking these two first rounders and if the Pats or Washington won't take them just take what is left at #23. Let other teams reach and trade the future. Maybe trade down from #11 for a first rounder in next year's draft?

Maye is not going to be anything if he goes to the Pats this season. They have nothing in place for him and they should need the picks, but they seem to want to play hardball and get next year's first and 3rd from us as well.

I'd say 3 first round picks to get to #1. Tell the Pats to take Maye at #3. Call their bluff.

I just know we never take quarterbacks in the first round and if we don't this year it might be another 2-10 years before we do again.

Yet the Pats just took Mac Jones high and will take another guy too soon.

Gonna be a long month and 5 days!
The question is how big of a drop off from QB to QB?
Whatever order you put ‘em, Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, McCarthy, Nix, Pratt, Rattler….
And what are their ceilings and floors?
That is what is driving us all nuts as fans. Of course this is the year where all three top spots want a quarterback and only the top 3 are coveted.... As far as what we have been told. I really liked Daniels, but Washington seems determined to take him.

What kills me is that we never go after the top quarterback talent in MN. We have never taken a quarterback even in the top 10 of the draft. Now we have the need and picks and can't get a dance partner.

After the draft we will be told that whomever we drafted was who we wanted all along anyway! :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:48 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:30 pm I am beginning to sour a bit on 3 first round picks to get Maye. The Pats didn't really care for Maye was the rumor out of the combine. Then you have that the Pats would not take him, which is a bit of a red flag.

Then we have how much SF traded for Lance and how he busted. Fields - bust. Mac Jones - bust. Just bust after bust.

McCarthy is even more likely to bust as most National Champion quarterbacks have struggled in the NFL.

Part of me just feels like taking these two first rounders and if the Pats or Washington won't take them just take what is left at #23. Let other teams reach and trade the future. Maybe trade down from #11 for a first rounder in next year's draft?

Maye is not going to be anything if he goes to the Pats this season. They have nothing in place for him and they should need the picks, but they seem to want to play hardball and get next year's first and 3rd from us as well.

I'd say 3 first round picks to get to #1. Tell the Pats to take Maye at #3. Call their bluff.

I just know we never take quarterbacks in the first round and if we don't this year it might be another 2-10 years before we do again.

I bet AZ is hoping MN trades with NE because I think if the Vikings and Pats can’t come to an agreement, NE might take MHJ.

I’m with you on holding out on a trade if it isnt for one of the top 3. I’m willing to trade 3 #1’s for one of those guys but just stand pat if you can’t get there. I don’t believe there is going to be a big difference between guys like JJ, Penix and Nix.

Vikings beat writer for the Athletic said today on Boston radio that the Vikings are “Desperate” to go after a QB and it’s known around the league.
I can't remember where I read it, but the Pats were not sold on Maye prior to the combine. Maye didn't do anything at the combine to change that.

Most experts are saying we would overpay the Pats sending them #11 and #23 for #3, but if the Pats pretend to like Maye a ton we will throw in next year's #1 as well. They might just be playing chicken with the Vikings?

Or this whole thing is already done and the media gets to feed the hype of the draft? There are reports that Cousins was talking to Atlanta long before the signing, he looked at a house in the area, and some are using the word tampering.

If we end up with Maye it would lead me to believe there was a gentleman's agreement the entire time for him to come here. There are just too many signs pointing that way. Also, every team that needs a quarterback outside of the top 3 are talking about JJ McCarthy. Giants, Denver, etc.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:18 am

I bet AZ is hoping MN trades with NE because I think if the Vikings and Pats can’t come to an agreement, NE might take MHJ.

I’m with you on holding out on a trade if it isnt for one of the top 3. I’m willing to trade 3 #1’s for one of those guys but just stand pat if you can’t get there. I don’t believe there is going to be a big difference between guys like JJ, Penix and Nix.

Vikings beat writer for the Athletic said today on Boston radio that the Vikings are “Desperate” to go after a QB and it’s known around the league.
I can't remember where I read it, but the Pats were not sold on Maye prior to the combine. Maye didn't do anything at the combine to change that.

Most experts are saying we would overpay the Pats sending them #11 and #23 for #3, but if the Pats pretend to like Maye a ton we will throw in next year's #1 as well. They might just be playing chicken with the Vikings?

Or this whole thing is already done and the media gets to feed the hype of the draft? There are reports that Cousins was talking to Atlanta long before the signing, he looked at a house in the area, and some are using the word tampering.

If we end up with Maye it would lead me to believe there was a gentleman's agreement the entire time for him to come here. There are just too many signs pointing that way. Also, every team that needs a quarterback outside of the top 3 are talking about JJ McCarthy. Giants, Denver, etc.
There is ZERO chance that the Patriots, or any other team in the top 5 trades down to #11 without getting our two first rounds this year and 2025 first. That is the cost of moving up in the draft to take a potential franchise QB.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If NE likes Harrison Jr., then Maye (or Daniels) is ours if we want him badly enough. Arizona will 100% listen to offers for 4.

In fact, if New England doesn’t love the 3rd QB, then they’ll probably trade out. They’ll get a huge haul and as good as Harrison is, you don’t start rebuilds with wide receivers very often.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am

There is ZERO chance that the Patriots, or any other team in the top 5 trades down to #11 without getting our two first rounds this year and 2025 first. That is the cost of moving up in the draft to take a potential franchise QB.
I agree. And I’d be happy to pay it. No problem. Look at it as two firsts and two seconds if that helps.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:40 am

If NE likes Harrison Jr., then Maye (or Daniels) is ours if we want him badly enough. Arizona will 100% listen to offers for 4.

In fact, if New England doesn’t love the 3rd QB, then they’ll probably trade out. They’ll get a huge haul and as good as Harrison is, you don’t start rebuilds with wide receivers very often.
The Pats took Mac at the wrong time and it worked terribly. Doing the same thing again seems dangerous for them. But if you have the pick, why not take a shot at the most important position in pro sports?

I just watched highlights of Maye and McCarthy. Maye has way more deep throws, but they all kind of sail on the wind. McCarthy doesn't throw deep in most of the videos. Neither really seems as good as their hype. Daniels wasn't even in the conversation of the top 3 a year ago and is older.

I'll trust whomever the Vikings decide to take. But Maye as a passer seems a lot better than McCarthy.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am

I know it will cost 3 first rounders. I don't really think McCarthy or Maye are worth that, but that is the price to play.
D_H

Post by D_H »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm It's too bad we will not get any of the top three QBand I pray we don't settle for McCarthy as a consolation
When you pick that high you can’t settle for anyone I’m sure they won’t settle for JJ McCarthy
D_H

Post by D_H »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:40 am

The Pats took Mac at the wrong time and it worked terribly. Doing the same thing again seems dangerous for them. But if you have the pick, why not take a shot at the most important position in pro sports?

I just watched highlights of Maye and McCarthy. Maye has way more deep throws, but they all kind of sail on the wind. McCarthy doesn't throw deep in most of the videos. Neither really seems as good as their hype. Daniels wasn't even in the conversation of the top 3 a year ago and is older.

I'll trust whomever the Vikings decide to take. But Maye as a passer seems a lot better than McCarthy.

Light years ahead of McCarthy not even close. Kurt Warner does not even have JJ McCarthy as a top five QB
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Mark Sanchez hearts Drake Maye. Some good in depth research on him as an athlete.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:18 pm Mark Sanchez hearts Drake Maye. Some good in depth research on him as an athlete.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Love me some dirty sanchez He is right. Maye has become a Herbert drop down in draft.
Spoiler:
:fight:
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

He's turned into a really good commentator.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Drake Maye you say?

I think the kid can spin it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:36 am Drake Maye you say?

I think the kid can spin it.
I clicked on the comments for Mel’s latest mock and it was interesting to see the takes from homers who are other teams’ fans.

Bears fans are very worried about another big miss. They have Mitch and Justin in recent memory. Trading Fields for dirt makes them feel better. They don’t like Caleb and some want Maye.

Then the Pats fans don’t like Maye and think they should take Harrison.

Then the Vikings fans hate on McCarthy.

No one is happy. Bears have the biggest risk at #1. Pats are gonna bring in Maye and ruin him on a team that needs everything else. Washington is Washington.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:18 pm

“Everyone has a price”

- Ted DiBiase.
Not the Bears, commander, patriots
Here is my current take. They have a deal on the table to take Maye at 3 with NE. The price is sky high (all 3 firsts), but they most likely would still do it. BUT, they want to wait for draft day to see if competition for him is weak and maybe the price can fall a bit.... if not they trade for him anyways. The side issue is if WAS drafts him and they might like Daniels even more (or less) or if NE likes Daniels in that scenario.

There are like one billion scenarios tho!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Former NFL quarterback: Drake Maye is as good as any quarterback he’s ever evaluated

It seems like every day, someone comes up with a reason why North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye is behind Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels ahead of the 2024 NFL draft.

Is it prospect fatigue? If you watch Maye, you can clearly see the tools, such as his size, arm strength, and athleticism. You can also see the areas that need some work, such as his mechanics and footwork. But fortunately for whoever drafts Maye, those are the easiest things to fix.

The Minnesota Vikings are believed to covet Maye. However, they have no shot at him at No. 11. The Vikings did acquire another first-round pick in hopes of moving up to land a franchise quarterback, be it Maye or someone else.

The truth about Maye is this: He will go no lower than No. 3 overall to the New England Patriots in next month’s draft. And there’s a good chance he goes No. 2 to the Washington Commanders.

Speaking of Washington, Tim Hasselbeck, who works as an ESPN analyst, spent two seasons with the then-Redskins in the early 2000s. He was a guest on “The Gresh and Fauria Show” on WEEI, where he discussed Maye.

“[I’ve] been at ESPN for 15 years evaluating quarterbacks as they come out for the draft,” Hasselbeck said via Mike Kadlick of Audacy. “I think he’s as good of a prospect as I have evaluated in this entire time. So, you know, from the Matthew Staffords to the Matt Ryans to you name ’em over that stretch—Andrew Luck … I think that he’s that good of a prospect.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-nfl ... 40607.html
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ru Roh... Now Maye's stock is rising and this mock has Washington taking him, us taking JJ, and Daniels falling to #11.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 am Ru Roh... Now Maye's stock is rising and this mock has Washington taking him, us taking JJ, and Daniels falling to #11.

Is trading 3 ones for #3, taking JJ, and watching Daniels fall to 11 is a nightmare scenario.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:19 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 am Ru Roh... Now Maye's stock is rising and this mock has Washington taking him, us taking JJ, and Daniels falling to #11.

Is trading 3 ones for #3, taking JJ, and watching Daniels fall to 11 is a nightmare scenario.
For sure. The Vikings reportedly liked Maye last year and were hoping he would slip to them. Now he gets harder and harder to get to.

I'd take Daniels over McCarthy. If we traded 3 first round picks for JJ it would be a nightmare. If Daniels was sitting there at #3 you'd have to think the Vikings would go for him.

I just don't get the hype around McCarthy? He is very polarizing.

There are a lot of question marks around all the top quarterbacks this year. Watch someone take Penix or Nix and the guy ends up being the next Mahomes. The Bears have taken more top quarterbacks in the last 7 years than the Vikings have ever taken. Two have busted and they are at it again. Washington took Haskins pretty high back in 2019.

Honestly, watching highlight reels, Nix and Penix both looked better than McCarthy. To be honest, and highlight reels are what they are, but Nix looked better than Maye did. Maye's throws kind of sail on deep balls, but the velocity on the throws from Penix and Nix are much better. Williams is an amazing athlete. He's the best of the bunch. Daniels can run, but he will get his head ripped off in the NFL. Maye has the size and looks like an NFL quarterback that O'Connell would like.

Daniels seems like he might be a bust in the NFL. I think the age of McCarthy is what makes him the biggest question mark. Because prior to transferring Nix and Penix's stats were pretty pedestrian.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:19 am

For sure. The Vikings reportedly liked Maye last year and were hoping he would slip to them. Now he gets harder and harder to get to.

I'd take Daniels over McCarthy. If we traded 3 first round picks for JJ it would be a nightmare. If Daniels was sitting there at #3 you'd have to think the Vikings would go for him.

I just don't get the hype around McCarthy? He is very polarizing.

There are a lot of question marks around all the top quarterbacks this year. Watch someone take Penix or Nix and the guy ends up being the next Mahomes. The Bears have taken more top quarterbacks in the last 7 years than the Vikings have ever taken. Two have busted and they are at it again. Washington took Haskins pretty high back in 2019.

Honestly, watching highlight reels, Nix and Penix both looked better than McCarthy. To be honest, and highlight reels are what they are, but Nix looked better than Maye did. Maye's throws kind of sail on deep balls, but the velocity on the throws from Penix and Nix are much better. Williams is an amazing athlete. He's the best of the bunch. Daniels can run, but he will get his head ripped off in the NFL. Maye has the size and looks like an NFL quarterback that O'Connell would like.

Daniels seems like he might be a bust in the NFL. I think the age of McCarthy is what makes him the biggest question mark. Because prior to transferring Nix and Penix's stats were pretty pedestrian.
I think Penix has the best arm in the draft. I know some folks hate his mechanics and delivery. But in terms of hitting his targets accurately with velocity at all levels, I think he’s the best.

A lot of good arms in this draft, though. The top-4 guys can all sling it. Rattler too. And Joe Milton. All rockets. Nix is a level below them imho.

- Isaac Asimov
OGR

Post by OGR »

Minnesota is expected to put together a mock trade that sees the Vikings giving up picks 11 and 23 in this year's draft as well as a 2025 first-round pick AND and 2026 second-round pick for New England's No. 3 overall pick to snag Drake Maye who the Vikings have been in love with for a long time.

After giving up that much to move up that far, has the Vikings will be taking North Carolina QB Drake Maye. Note the deep connections between the Vikings and Maye, notably new Vikings QB coach Josh McCown helping coach Maye when he was in high school.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Washington could have PTSD from draftig RG3. When I look for comps for Jayden he might be the closest because they were both accurate and ultra athletic.

Different owners but same city.

I could see a team taking Drake over Daniels easy because of Daniels frame. Drake probably has the best frame of all the QB's.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:49 am Washington could have PTSD from draftig RG3. When I look for comps for Jayden he might be the closest because they were both accurate and ultra athletic.

I could see a team taking Drake over Daniels easy because of Daniels frame. Drake probably has the best frame of all the QB's.
We can only hope they envy the Eagles.

I think KOC wanted Maye and now is bummed his stock is rising a ton. Seems like the Pats like Daniels more than Maye, but that is just me pulling things out of my backside. If it goes 1. Williams, 2. Maye, 3. Daniels we should stay put at #11.

At that point I'd see if anyone would trade for a first round in next year's draft for our picks.

I hope we get it right and the Vikings see potential in someone not on everyone's radar. Hall and Darnold seem like backups or maybe low ranking guys.

Too bad we missed out on Purdy. We were going to sign him had SF not taken him.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:00 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:49 am Washington could have PTSD from draftig RG3. When I look for comps for Jayden he might be the closest because they were both accurate and ultra athletic.

I think KOC wanted Maye and now is bummed his stock is rising a ton. Seems like the Pats like Daniels more than Maye, but that is just me pulling things out of my backside. If it goes 1. Williams, 2. Maye, 3. Daniels we should stay put at #11.

At that point I'd see if anyone would trade for a first round in next year's draft for our picks.

I hope we get it right and the Vikings see potential in someone not on everyone's radar. Hall and Darnold seem like backups or maybe low ranking guys.

I never heard that one about Purdy.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:04 pm
cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:00 pm

I never heard that one about Purdy.
Saw it in an interview with him when he first was starting. He said that the Vikings had planned on signing him and he was surprised SF took him.

What coulda been...
witljon

Post by witljon »

Drake Maye’s pro day is Thursday, as is Michael Penix.