Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:04 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:51 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:31 am

you're forgetting what he did in the actual "championship" game against alabama. if it wasn't for his play in the 4th quarter against arguably the best team in the country they would've won that game and would've destroyed washington in the title game. imho.
If we're playing that game though then Penix's semifinal game should count too. This whole convo goes back to the OP entirely writing off Penix because of the natty game and heralding McCarthy.
But in Penix's semi game against a very good Texas team/defense, he was 29 of 38 for 430 yards and 2 TDs, and that win had them at 10 wins in a row when the difference is under 10 points.

I'll clarify that I would still rank McCarthy ahead of Penix, but I just think the OP was getting a little ahead of himself. There's plenty of QBs that have clutch game performances.
JJ beat a team with a superb defense. the other game was a shootout and penix was great. then we saw him go against a better defense.

anyways, i think there are more than a couple QBs that will be able to hit vikings open receivers. maye is actually having some red flags come up because of his inaccuracy with the throws that you just have to make in the NFL to succeed. this is what's happening as the tape gets scrutinized. penix has a medical analysis "that isn't awful." what does that mean? i've personally got a red flag on him because of his injury history.

JJ throws lasers and is fast. i think he could hit the vikings open receivers. i think daniels would be dynamic and might get the vikings offense to where it wants to be faster than any of the other guys. i think nix could hit the open receivers. heck, i wish the vikings would've given darnold a two year contract that was partially guaranteed in the second year at that salary because he might be able to do it too.
And at this point its all just about investment.
We will get a QB this year. It's positioned to be such an inevitability.

We could stick at 11, and get someone for free.
We could do a modest trade up to 4 or 5 and get a slightly better someone.
We could do a more involved trade up to 3 and get a slightly slightly better someone.

But what are you actually paying for and how do you quantify that?
Because if we make the dialogue so narrow, then all you do is make it easier for you to justify trading four first round picks because this guy is the only guy.

That's a dangerous recipe.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:51 am

If we're playing that game though then Penix's semifinal game should count too. This whole convo goes back to the OP entirely writing off Penix because of the natty game and heralding McCarthy.
But in Penix's semi game against a very good Texas team/defense, he was 29 of 38 for 430 yards and 2 TDs, and that win had them at 10 wins in a row when the difference is under 10 points.

I'll clarify that I would still rank McCarthy ahead of Penix, but I just think the OP was getting a little ahead of himself. There's plenty of QBs that have clutch game performances.
JJ beat a team with a superb defense. the other game was a shootout and penix was great. then we saw him go against a better defense.

anyways, i think there are more than a couple QBs that will be able to hit vikings open receivers. maye is actually having some red flags come up because of his inaccuracy with the throws that you just have to make in the NFL to succeed. this is what's happening as the tape gets scrutinized. penix has a medical analysis "that isn't awful." what does that mean? i've personally got a red flag on him because of his injury history.

JJ throws lasers and is fast. i think he could hit the vikings open receivers. i think daniels would be dynamic and might get the vikings offense to where it wants to be faster than any of the other guys. i think nix could hit the open receivers. heck, i wish the vikings would've given darnold a two year contract that was partially guaranteed in the second year at that salary because he might be able to do it too.

We could do a more involved trade up to 3 and get a slightly slightly better someone.

Because if we make the dialogue so narrow, then all you do is make it easier for you to justify trading four first round picks because this guy is the only guy.

there's your greater risk--because are you really getting a "slightly better someone" or a "slightly slightly better someone"? it would be great to see their QB grades and then you'd probably be better able to guess what they're going to do.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm

there's your greater risk--because are you really getting a "slightly better someone" or a "slightly slightly better someone"? it would be great to see their QB grades and then you'd probably be better able to guess what they're going to do.
And the last two SBs were lost by Jalen Hurts (a 2nd rd value pick) and Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant.)
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:21 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm

And the last two SBs were lost by Jalen Hurts (a 2nd rd value pick) and Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant.)
Even Mahomes was taken after several other quarterbacks and people questioned if he would succeed in the NFL. Although, his college stats are way above anyone in this year's class.

There are a lot more quarterbacks who have won a Super Bowl that were not picked first over ones who were. Caleb Williams has a ton of question marks, but he is the best of this year's bunch.

We are all gonna be exhausted by the time draft day arrives.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Check out the latest mock from Yahoo:

Lovin' it?
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:10 am Check out the latest mock from Yahoo:

Lovin' it?
Patriots are winning that mock. Probably netted an entire first rounder to move down but yet still get a very good QB prospect by moving back up.

At the same time if Maye becomes one of the best QB's in the league they win too.

Whatever happens we will know real grades in 3 to 4 years. Whatever the Vikings do I'll get behind, I have my preferences but at the end of day once a player is a Vikings he's a Viking.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:10 am Check out the latest mock from Yahoo:

Lovin' it?
you're on the clock in the mock
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:58 am

Lovin' it?
Patriots are winning that mock. Probably netted an entire first rounder to move down but yet still get a very good QB prospect by moving back up.

At the same time if Maye becomes one of the best QB's in the league they win too.

Whatever happens we will know real grades in 3 to 4 years. Whatever the Vikings do I'll get behind, I have my preferences but at the end of day once a player is a Vikings he's a Viking.
If Maye ends up being the special one, then its a win.
Going back to yesterday's Mahomes v Allen discussion, they were essentially (indirect) traded for each other, just a year apart.

Buff held the pick that the Chiefs moved up for. They traded down to get their boatload of picks, and then leveraged some of the future ones to trade up the next year to draft Allen.
When all was said and done, the Bills had Allen, Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, and Zay Jones.

About as good of a haul as you could expect.
But it still aint Mahomes.

If you think Maye is TRULY special, then go up and do it.
But then you better be right that he's TRULY special, and not just a good to very good starting QB, because you can get a good to very good starting QB for far less.

**EDIT**
Because when all is said and done, it could be...

Maye
OR
McCarthy and 2025 1st rd pick
OR
Penix, 23, 2025 1st rd pick
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:45 am

Lovin' it?

If Maye ends up being the special one, then its a win.
Going back to yesterday's Mahomes v Allen discussion, they were essentially (indirect) traded for each other, just a year apart.

Buff held the pick that the Chiefs moved up for. They traded down to get their boatload of picks, and then leveraged some of the future ones to trade up the next year to draft Allen.
When all was said and done, the Bills had Allen, Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, and Zay Jones.

About as good of a haul as you could expect.
But it still aint Mahomes.

If you think Maye is TRULY special, then go up and do it.
But then you better be right that he's TRULY special, and not just a good to very good starting QB, because you can get a good to very good starting QB for far less.

**EDIT**
Because when all is said and done, it could be...

Maye
OR
McCarthy and 2025 1st rd pick
OR
Penix, 23, 2025 1st rd pick
This would make a fun pole question, wouldn’t it?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:22 am

Lovin' it?
you're on the clock in the mock
Sorry about that. I was gonna post as I noticed it and then someone came into my office when I was researching cornerbacks and looking who was taken.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Lovin' it?

It is tough. I look forward daily to my ride home from work and KFAN because they usually have someone on breaking it all down. This is by far the most exciting draft in my memory. I think we all have Ponder-flashbacks, but without Spielman we are actually going to take a shot at a prospective quarterback. It's exciting!

I would assume the Pats pick means 3 #1 picks to them. Probably a 2025 3rd rounder from the Osborn pick up.

What will be telling for me is if the Pats take the deal. My gut always tells me that the NFL knows way more than the let the fans on to. By holding back we are all speculating endlessly and they have our attention. On the flip side these are billion dollar corporations at this point and they probably have a lot more inside stuff going on than any fan would ever know about.

Which points to the Pats owner's quote about as a fan he'd take Maye, but as an owner he'd like a king's ransom of picks.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 pm

Lovin' it?

It is tough. I look forward daily to my ride home from work and KFAN because they usually have someone on breaking it all down. This is by far the most exciting draft in my memory. I think we all have Ponder-flashbacks, but without Spielman we are actually going to take a shot at a prospective quarterback. It's exciting!

I would assume the Pats pick means 3 #1 picks to them. Probably a 2025 3rd rounder from the Osborn pick up.

What will be telling for me is if the Pats take the deal. My gut always tells me that the NFL knows way more than the let the fans on to. By holding back we are all speculating endlessly and they have our attention. On the flip side these are billion dollar corporations at this point and they probably have a lot more inside stuff going on than any fan would ever know about.

Which points to the Pats owner's quote about as a fan he'd take Maye, but as an owner he'd like a king's ransom of picks.
To clarify, he didn’t say Maye specifically. He said quarterback. He didn’t identify which one.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:57 pm
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 pm

To clarify, he didn’t say Maye specifically. He said quarterback. He didn’t identify which one.
You are correct. More egregious was saying the something was the flip side of the same side. :lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:33 am
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am

He didn’t look great, but he looked 10 times better than JJ McCarthy did with A LOT LESS talent around him. Ask yourself this if the two quarterback switched teams would have JJ McCarthy got Washington to the national championship game?? lol na lol

Yea but that's not "what happened".

You can't take away results. People always want to take something away from a guy instead of accepting what actually happened.

JJ did it at the highest level in college. Doesn't guarantee anything moving forward but if he finds himself in another great situation down the line at some point it's a pattern and he's just a winner.

And then some guys will be Fantasy Football stat machines but never really win win.
Guy on KFAN ripping JJ McCarthy right now days tape in not first round talent lol

Exactly my assessment and Kurt Warner’s assessment
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:39 am
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am

He didn’t look great, but he looked 10 times better than JJ McCarthy did with A LOT LESS talent around him. Ask yourself this if the two quarterback switched teams would have JJ McCarthy got Washington to the national championship game?? lol na lol

You can't take away results. People always want to take something away from a guy instead of accepting what actually happened.

JJ did it at the highest level in college. Doesn't guarantee anything moving forward but if he finds himself in another great situation down the line at some point it's a pattern and he's just a winner.

And then some guys will be Fantasy Football stat machines but never really win win.
Guy on KFAN ripping JJ McCarthy right now days tape in not first round talent lol

You're talking about Howard Cosell's nephew that works for NFL films. Okay he is a great CFB mind. :lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:52 am
D_H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:39 am

You're talking about Howard Cosell's nephew that works for NFL films. Okay he is a great CFB mind. :lol:

He said JJ McCarthy made throws even high school kids could make lolololo

And yes, he agrees with Kurt Warner assessment you know Hall of Fame quarterback. Lolo

I know Mlhouse you know more about playing quarterback in the NFL and Kurt Warner does lol
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

It was a good segment, I would have liked to hear more about some of the other QB's. He did have some takes on Penix which was interesting.

This entire draft class of QB's is fascinating because the diversity of opinions is all over the map.

He definitely left the door open for JJ being a good QB. He's most certainly go things he has to get better at, which is pretty much all the QB's.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another day, another story from the rumor mill. only 18 more days of this.

Report: Multiple NFL people believe Drake Maye will go to Commanders at No. 2 overall

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-mul ... 42404.html

Several NFL insiders have speculated about which quarterback Peters likes best or which fits offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury’s offense best. While the results are mixed, Daniels is generally the top choice.

But, according to longtime NFL writer Ralph Vacchiano, who covers the NFC East for FOX Sports, several NFL sources have told him they don’t see Maye sliding past Washington at No. 2.

In fact, multiple NFL sources said they don’t believe Maye will get past the Commanders at No. 2. Despite a lot of speculation that Daniels is a better fit for the scheme of new Commanders offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and a report that GM Adam Peters was eyeing McCarthy, there are many people around the NFL, who view those tidbits as smokescreens.

“I think we’re at the point where people are just overanalyzing and forgetting all the reasons why Maye is one of the two best quarterbacks in this draft,” said one NFL personnel executive. “He’s a big kid [6-foot-4, 223] with a big arm who can run. Sure, he can be inconsistent and he made some throws in college that he shouldn’t have tried.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

It wouldn't surprise me. Out of all the QB's Drake Maye physically is the most prototypical of them all and has a huge arm. He's one of those guys that makes throwing 60 yards look easy. That kind of arm.

Washington also took a similar QB to Daniels in RG3 and it busted. Super explosive runner, accurate arm in college and took big hits. It's very similar but at the end of the day they are two different people, they are not completely the same.

I'm sure drafting RG3 still lingers in that City.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:10 pm It wouldn't surprise me. Out of all the QB's Drake Maye physically is the most prototypical of them all and has a huge arm. He's one of those guys that makes throwing 60 yards look easy. That kind of arm.

Washington also took a similar QB to Daniels in RG3 and it busted. Super explosive runner, accurate arm in college and took big hits. It's very similar but at the end of the day they are two different people, they are not completely the same.

Merril Hodge seems to think that Drake Maye is a bust waiting to happen. Ouch.....
NFL analyst Merril Hodge thinks Drake Maye 'is the kind of player that will get you fired'
"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired," Hodge said. "Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three, he's going to get you fired."
Hodge compared the Tar Heel to Malik Willis, who was a projected first-round pick before sliding to the Tennessee Titans in the third round in the 2022 draft.

"Willis might be the only guy that I can think of that is as erratic as Maye," Hodge said. "I studied him for two years...I watched every one of his games last year. ...His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I've seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. ...He's erratic. He's everywhere."
Hodge also doesn't see Maye as a dual threat despite his 1,209 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns in four years at North Carolina.

"People think his athleticism will translate but people want him to run and they will bust him up," Hodge said. "He is not athletic enough. If he doesn't get down and learn how to do that, he won't last until Week 10."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... 19fd&ei=18
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

Doesn’t Merle Hodge have significant cognitive decline from CTE?
Spoiler:
:fight:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:53 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:10 pm It wouldn't surprise me. Out of all the QB's Drake Maye physically is the most prototypical of them all and has a huge arm. He's one of those guys that makes throwing 60 yards look easy. That kind of arm.

Merril Hodge seems to think that Drake Maye is a bust waiting to happen. Ouch.....
NFL analyst Merril Hodge thinks Drake Maye 'is the kind of player that will get you fired'
"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired," Hodge said. "Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three, he's going to get you fired."
Hodge compared the Tar Heel to Malik Willis, who was a projected first-round pick before sliding to the Tennessee Titans in the third round in the 2022 draft.

"Willis might be the only guy that I can think of that is as erratic as Maye," Hodge said. "I studied him for two years...I watched every one of his games last year. ...His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I've seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. ...He's erratic. He's everywhere."
Hodge also doesn't see Maye as a dual threat despite his 1,209 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns in four years at North Carolina.

"People think his athleticism will translate but people want him to run and they will bust him up," Hodge said. "He is not athletic enough. If he doesn't get down and learn how to do that, he won't last until Week 10."
Hodge also poo-poo’d Caleb Williams. Seems contrarian.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SKOLTROL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:42 pm Doesn’t Merle Hodge have significant cognitive decline from CTE?
Pretty sure he was a Stroud guy last year…

But all these guys have hits and misses. You can’t overreact to an “expert” take. I’m sure if you comb though Hodge’s predictions over the years you’ll find plenty of both hits and misses.

The trouble is, he’s right that all these guys have flaws. But what he doesn’t know (and nobody knows) is how hard these guys are going to work to overcome them and how mentally flexible they are to do so. A lot of these guys come from gimmicky “check with the sideline” offenses (Nix). Penix played almost exclusively in the shotgun. Williams bails from the pocket at the first sign of trouble. Maye has some accuracy issues. Daniels takes too many hits. Etc. All these guys have something they need to fix or they’ll fail (relative to their expectations, anyway). All of them. So identifying that flaw isn’t that big of a deal. Identifying which of them has the will to work and the adaptability to improve on that flaw is the art.

But physically, there are 5 or 6 guys in this draft that have what it takes to be really high-end NFL quarterbacks. And that’s rare. You’ve got to hope O’Connell can get through to his guy and help him take the steps he needs to be great.

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm fine with washington taking maye and the vikings getting either daniels or mccarthy.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Everyone that's worried about his erratic throwing has a valid point.

It simply comes down to betting on the kid to fix it and remain consistent in his game. People miss on QB's all the time because they don't realize how much a guy is gonna improve at the next level. As far as raw talent, he's got it all.

He could also be a huge flop. I'm worried about him going to a bad team and it working. That's my opinion on Maye. I'm not as worried if he goes to Minnesota. I like many of these QB's in Minny. Especially if they will make an effort to improve the Oline. We've seen way worse but it still has room to grow and be dominant.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:03 pm

It simply comes down to betting on the kid to fix it and remain consistent in his game. People miss on QB's all the time because they don't realize how much a guy is gonna improve at the next level. As far as raw talent, he's got it all.

He could also be a huge flop. I'm worried about him going to a bad team and it working. That's my opinion on Maye. I'm not as worried if he goes to Minnesota. I like many of these QB's in Minny. Especially if they will make an effort to improve the Oline. We've seen way worse but it still has room to grow and be dominant.
if it's a muscle memory thing with maye than it's not an easy fix.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:07 pm i'm fine with washington taking maye and the Vikings getting either Daniels or McCarthy.
Daniels yes, McCarthy no way, and especially not to trade up to get him
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:10 pm

Tons of players have successfully altered their mechanics to improve their careers. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Tom Brady and many others have done so.

Quarterback prospects get put under such a ridiculous microscope it’s just silly. There isn’t a prospect in the entire draft who doesn’t have things to change or rework or improve on if they want to achieve their potential.* Nobody rips Jer’Zhan Newton because he needs to improve his burst off the line, but he does. We simply acknowledge that and say his other elite traits will still shine through and maybe he can even improve his burst with better coaching and training. But despite that, I’d love to add Newton to the Vikings. Nobody says not to draft Chop Robinson because he needs to get stronger, but he does. Sure, strength can be added pretty easily in the NFL, but will he lose agility and flexibility if he does? No guarantee there either. But I’d take him.

We’re definitely at the point in the draft hype when we are dissecting minutia to the point where we can convince ourselves that none of these guys will be any good at all and we shouldn’t draft anyone.

* With the possible exception of Marvin Harrison Jr.

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:00 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:10 pm

Tons of players have successfully altered their mechanics to improve their careers. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Tom Brady and many others have done so.

Quarterback prospects get put under such a ridiculous microscope it’s just silly. There isn’t a prospect in the entire draft who doesn’t have things to change or rework or improve on if they want to achieve their potential.* Nobody rips Jer’Zhan Newton because he needs to improve his burst off the line, but he does. We simply acknowledge that and say his other elite traits will still shine through and maybe he can even improve his burst with better coaching and training. But despite that, I’d love to add Newton to the Vikings. Nobody says not to draft Chop Robinson because he needs to get stronger, but he does. Sure, strength can be added pretty easily in the NFL, but will he lose agility and flexibility if he does? No guarantee there either. But I’d take him.

We’re definitely at the point in the draft hype when we are dissecting minutia to the point where we can convince ourselves that none of these guys will be any good at all and we shouldn’t draft anyone.

* With the possible exception of Marvin Harrison Jr.
it's difficult but doable. i think of it akin to a golfer rebuilding his swing. it takes a lot of hard work--but golfers can do it. tiger did. more than once.

some can't though.