Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:33 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:29 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:28 pm
Well, if Carlos says it, who are any of us to disagree?

This time of year there’s enough smoke out there to justify anything. If you want your bias confirmed, Twitter/X will oblige.

For example:

Carlos vs Dan! To the death!
Carlos isn't claiming to know this information personally. Carlos is citing what a specific journalist is reporting.
Who is reporting what the team said. The Patriots would never play coy with the media and will always lay their cards out plainly for all to see.

Nobody knows what will happen. It’s all smoke and mirrors until April 25th.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Except Caleb Williams going #1 to the Bears. Etch that in stone.

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:52 pm
“Hey NFL!!! We’re totally not trading the pick! Don’t come to us with your massive offers! Don’t add extra picks! It won’t work! We’ve got our minds made up and we’re making sure everyone knows about it because that matters a lot if we’re actually staying put… which of course we are, because an NFL team would never play coy with their draft plans.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:57 pm
“Hey NFL!!! We’re totally not trading the pick! Don’t come to us with your massive offers! Don’t add extra picks! It won’t work! We’ve got our minds made up and we’re making sure everyone knows about it because that matters a lot if we’re actually staying put… which of course we are, because an NFL team would never play coy with their draft plans.”
as you've posted before--if you don't have your franchise QB nothing else matters. this is the first response to that tweet and even if he sits for half the season it makes sense to me. i'm just not sold on this idea that any of these top three teams are willing to trade the pick. you'd have to be thinking of a 2-3 year rebuild with getting your QB in that third year if your going to trade out of the pick. the only other scenario i could see is picking one of the second tier QBs with a pick later in this year's draft.

Daniel ⚒
@DanielCutter
I think the likely scenario is Maye at 3 and sits for a year to work on footwork while the Patriots use this years draft and next years free agency and draft to build the offense for him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:06 pm
as you've posted before--if you don't have your franchise QB nothing else matters. this is the first response to that tweet and even if he sits for half the season it makes sense to me. i'm just not sold on this idea that any of these top three teams are willing to trade the pick. you'd have to be thinking of a 2-3 year rebuild with getting your QB in that third year if your going to trade out of the pick. the only other scenario i could see is picking one of the second tier QBs with a pick later in this year's draft.

Daniel ⚒
@DanielCutter
I think the likely scenario is Maye at 3 and sits for a year to work on footwork while the Patriots use this years draft and next years free agency and draft to build the offense for him.
They may or they may not. But “reports” and leaks this time of year don’t mean much.

While I’d probably take the QB there, teams often take the trade and they have their reasons.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“Everyone has a price”

- Ted DiBiase

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:13 pm

Daniel ⚒
@DanielCutter
They may or they may not. But “reports” and leaks this time of year don’t mean much.

While I’d probably take the QB there, teams often take the trade and they have their reasons.
agree. it's hard to imagine what they'd be asking for one of those picks. the only way i could see them moving off that spot if some team paid the ransom is if they feel good about drafting a nix or penix. you can't expect to be getting in the position they're in when you have the same depth at QB this year and each of those teams need one.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Daniel ⚒
@DanielCutter

agree. it's hard to imagine what they'd be asking for one of those picks. the only way i could see them moving off that spot is if they feel good about drafting a nix or penix. you can't expect to be getting in the position they're in when you have the same depth at QB this year and each of those teams need one.
Their best OL is their right tackle. That’s Penix’s blind side. Taking him reduces the premium they have to spend on LT…

Just saying…

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:19 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm

agree. it's hard to imagine what they'd be asking for one of those picks. the only way i could see them moving off that spot is if they feel good about drafting a nix or penix. you can't expect to be getting in the position they're in when you have the same depth at QB this year and each of those teams need one.
Their best OL is their right tackle. That’s Penix’s blind side. Taking him reduces the premium they have to spend on LT…

Just saying…
i added some "ransom" words to that post if you want to take a look at it again. i include washington as a team that is going to be getting calls as well. there's also the possibility that they're the team that takes maye. lots of drama with the top of this year's draft and the vikings are in the mix for sure.
D_H

Post by D_H »

:thumbsup:

Rumor Has it the Vikings are Going All in to Land Drake Maye.

The general consensus is that McCarthy, Michael Penix, Bo Nix and the rest are projects.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/350 ... listening-...
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 pm :thumbsup:

Rumor Has it the Vikings are Going All in to Land Drake Maye.

The general consensus is that McCarthy, Michael Penix, Bo Nix and the rest are projects.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/350 ... listening-...
It reads like it would be #11, #23, 2025 1st rounder and likely at least a 3rd round pick to "maybe" move to #3 to "maybe" pick Maye, who "may be the guy," or not.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Unidentified Vikings front office member:

Q: Which QB do you prefer if the Vikings trade up on draft night? J.J. McCarthy or Drake Maye?

Answer: Drake Maye.

Vikings fans would be disappointed with McCarthy. His draft stock has climbed tremendously in the last eight weeks but largely due from hype, coming out of his camp. We would rather give up more to get Drake made then to give up less to get JJ McCarthy.

However, we like the total package Maye provides quite a bit more than McCarthy. Either due to a lack of development or Michigan’s offensive preference, McCarthy didn’t throw deep outside the numbers all that often. Maye, on the other hand, already has that tool in his kit.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I am beginning to sour a bit on 3 first round picks to get Maye. The Pats didn't really care for Maye was the rumor out of the combine. Then you have that the Pats would not take him, which is a bit of a red flag.

Then we have how much SF traded for Lance and how he busted. Fields - bust. Mac Jones - bust. Just bust after bust.

McCarthy is even more likely to bust as most National Champion quarterbacks have struggled in the NFL.

Part of me just feels like taking these two first rounders and if the Pats or Washington won't take them just take what is left at #23. Let other teams reach and trade the future. Maybe trade down from #11 for a first rounder in next year's draft?

Maye is not going to be anything if he goes to the Pats this season. They have nothing in place for him and they should need the picks, but they seem to want to play hardball and get next year's first and 3rd from us as well.

I'd say 3 first round picks to get to #1. Tell the Pats to take Maye at #3. Call their bluff.

I just know we never take quarterbacks in the first round and if we don't this year it might be another 2-10 years before we do again.

Yet the Pats just took Mac Jones high and will take another guy too soon.

Gonna be a long month and 5 days!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:30 pm I am beginning to sour a bit on 3 first round picks to get Maye. The Pats didn't really care for Maye was the rumor out of the combine. Then you have that the Pats would not take him, which is a bit of a red flag.

Then we have how much SF traded for Lance and how he busted. Fields - bust. Mac Jones - bust. Just bust after bust.

McCarthy is even more likely to bust as most National Champion quarterbacks have struggled in the NFL.

Part of me just feels like taking these two first rounders and if the Pats or Washington won't take them just take what is left at #23. Let other teams reach and trade the future. Maybe trade down from #11 for a first rounder in next year's draft?

Maye is not going to be anything if he goes to the Pats this season. They have nothing in place for him and they should need the picks, but they seem to want to play hardball and get next year's first and 3rd from us as well.

I'd say 3 first round picks to get to #1. Tell the Pats to take Maye at #3. Call their bluff.

I just know we never take quarterbacks in the first round and if we don't this year it might be another 2-10 years before we do again.

I bet AZ is hoping MN trades with NE because I think if the Vikings and Pats can’t come to an agreement, NE might take MHJ.

I’m with you on holding out on a trade if it isnt for one of the top 3. I’m willing to trade 3 #1’s for one of those guys but just stand pat if you can’t get there. I don’t believe there is going to be a big difference between guys like JJ, Penix and Nix.

Vikings beat writer for the Athletic said today on Boston radio that the Vikings are “Desperate” to go after a QB and it’s known around the league.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

If you can not get 2nd and 3rd picks you might as well attempt to get Penix, Nix with one of the picks you have in the 1st round. There is no way I would draft McCarthy! What Harbaugh knew and understood was not to put McCarthy in a situation where he could force them to lose a game and he relied on his running game and defense.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:05 pm If you can not get 2nd and 3rd picks you might as well attempt to get Penix, Nix with one of the picks you have in the 1st round. There is no way I would draft McCarthy! What Harbaugh knew and understood was not to put McCarthy in a situation where he could force them to lose a game and he relied on his running game and defense.
Yep.

Give me Turner at #11 and give me Penix or Nix at #23.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:10 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:05 pm If you can not get 2nd and 3rd picks you might as well attempt to get Penix, Nix with one of the picks you have in the 1st round. There is no way I would draft McCarthy! What Harbaugh knew and understood was not to put McCarthy in a situation where he could force them to lose a game and he relied on his running game and defense.
Yep.

Turner and Nix would be a great draft day 1 for me
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Yep.

Penix/Nix + Turner > McCarthy is an easy position to argue. Good merit to that. But I’ll be disappointed either way. I want to take the big swing, like the Wolves did.

Most fun season in two decades. I know it’s not the exact same situation. But the point is, don’t be shy. Don’t be afraid, Take a swing.

- Isaac Asimov
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

I agree with taking a swing but you can't take a swing if no one will pitch to you
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:52 pm
Yep.

Penix/Nix + Turner > McCarthy is an easy position to argue. Good merit to that. But I’ll be disappointed either way. I want to take the big swing, like the Wolves did.

Most fun season in two decades. I know it’s not the exact same situation. But the point is, don’t be shy. Don’t be afraid, Take a swing.
I agree but I’m only willing to take that swing on one of the top 3.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:12 pm I agree with taking a swing but you can't take a swing if no one will pitch to you
“Everyone has a price”

- Ted DiBiase.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 pm

Yep.

That’s what I’m talking about!

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Yep.

I’m starting to warm up to Daniels a bit. His frame scared me earlier, but he’s the most accurate QB of the bunch and I could see him coming into our system and instantly being good. As long as he stays healthy of course.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:28 pm
How could you ever hurt this guy, look at the size of his head... Really this guy probably can't find hats that fit him.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:20 am Unidentified Vikings front office member:

Q: Which QB do you prefer if the Vikings trade up on draft night? J.J. McCarthy or Drake Maye?

Answer: Drake Maye.

Vikings fans would be disappointed with McCarthy. His draft stock has climbed tremendously in the last eight weeks but largely due from hype, coming out of his camp. We would rather give up more to get Drake made then to give up less to get JJ McCarthy.

However, we like the total package Maye provides quite a bit more than McCarthy. Either due to a lack of development or Michigan’s offensive preference, McCarthy didn’t throw deep outside the numbers all that often. Maye, on the other hand, already has that tool in his kit.
Where can I submit a Question to this Unidentified Vikings front office member?
witljon

Post by witljon »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:30 pm I am beginning to sour a bit on 3 first round picks to get Maye. The Pats didn't really care for Maye was the rumor out of the combine. Then you have that the Pats would not take him, which is a bit of a red flag.

The question is how big of a drop off from QB to QB?
Whatever order you put ‘em, Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, McCarthy, Nix, Pratt, Rattler….
And what are their ceilings and floors?
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:18 pm
cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:12 pm I agree with taking a swing but you can't take a swing if no one will pitch to you
“Everyone has a price”

- Ted DiBiase.
Not the Bears, commander, patriots
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 pm

I’m starting to warm up to Daniels a bit. His frame scared me earlier, but he’s the most accurate QB of the bunch and I could see him coming into our system and instantly being good. As long as he stays healthy of course.