Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Viking Cap Situation Update

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Viking Cap Situation Update

Post by mlhouse »

The current cap situation looks like this.

2024 NFL Cap 255,400,000
2023 Roll Over and Adjusments 7,337,242

Adjusted 2024 Salary Cap: 262,737,242

Known Contract Cap Hit: 185,378,704
2024 Dead Cap: 57,364,207
2024 Rookie Allocation: 7,504,233

Total Known Cap Allocation: 250,247,144

Remaining: 12,490.098

Unknown 2024 Cap Allocation:

Greenard 4 years $76 million
Jones 1 year $7 million
BUllard unknown
Romo unknown
Van GInkel 2 years $20 million

Less Harrison Smith's restructure 1 year $9 million

Essentially, these signings which spotrac has not published the details for will absorb almost all of the $12.5 million balance in cap space.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Viking Cap Situation Update

Post by Hoop Dreams »

So, we are essentially tapped out? What are some other options to create cap space?
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:39 pm So, we are essentially tapped out? What are some other options to create cap space?
There really isn’t a salary cap from what I’m told here.

Can you imagine had we signed Kirt again? We wouldn’t have even landed the few B listers we did. :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Gizmo123

Post by Gizmo123 »

Bryan O’Neil
Tj hockenson
Byron Murphy
Josh Oliver
Cj ham
Garrett Bradbury
Harrison Phillips
Nick Mullins
Justin Jefferson

Not to mention just putting money into next year

The have plenty of money if they want it
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:41 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:39 pm So, we are essentially tapped out? What are some other options to create cap space?

Can you imagine had we signed Kirt again? We wouldn’t have even landed the few B listers we did. :lol:
This take just demonstrates you fucked up understanding of how the NFL salary cap works.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:55 pm

This take just demonstrates you fucked up understanding of how the NFL salary cap works.
Right…. I’m sure we could have kicked the can down the road even longer. Teams that should go with this approach are ones with an actual window. We haven’t had a window in 5 years. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Extend Jefferson's contract with a 2024 cap hit less than the $19.743 million.

They could restructure O'Neill's contract but I think they will avoid that this season. Just take the salary cap hit now.
There are minor things they could do to create marginal cap space like release Mullens

That is about it. The dead cap we took with Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport all moving on was $50 million cap charge for 2024. Dean Lowry and Alexander Mattison total $3.65 million and Dalvin Cook will come off the cap for the VIkings in 2024 with a final $3.101 million. The rest of the dead cap are minor charges for late round draft pick/UDFA signing bonus allocation.

They could have continued kicking the can down the road and created a lot more cap space in 2024 if they would have extended the three main veteran contracts. But they didn't. This is the charge you take when the can isn't kicked anymore.

I think the team we have is the team we have with only minor additions of any other veteran players, draft picks, and UDFA.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 pm

They could restructure O'Neill's contract but I think they will avoid that this season. Just take the salary cap hit now.
There are minor things they could do to create marginal cap space like release Mullens

That is about it. The dead cap we took with Cousins, Hunter, and Davenport all moving on was $50 million cap charge for 2024. Dean Lowry and Alexander Mattison total $3.65 million and Dalvin Cook will come off the cap for the VIkings in 2024 with a final $3.101 million. The rest of the dead cap are minor charges for late round draft pick/UDFA signing bonus allocation.

They could have continued kicking the can down the road and created a lot more cap space in 2024 if they would have extended the three main veteran contracts. But they didn't. This is the charge you take when the can isn't kicked anymore.

I think the team we have is the team we have with only minor additions of any other veteran players, draft picks, and UDFA.
Hopefully they adjust enough to add a veteran CB
Gizmo123

Post by Gizmo123 »

You are really arrogant they can still create plenty of money And over the cap ismuch better than sport trac
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:53 pm The current cap situation looks like this.

2024 NFL Cap 255,400,000
2023 Roll Over and Adjusments 7,337,242

Adjusted 2024 Salary Cap: 262,737,242

Known Contract Cap Hit: 185,378,704
2024 Dead Cap: 57,364,207
2024 Rookie Allocation: 7,504,233

Total Known Cap Allocation: 250,247,144

Remaining: 12,490.098

Unknown 2024 Cap Allocation:

Greenard 4 years $76 million
Jones 1 year $7 million
BUllard unknown
Romo unknown
Van GInkel 2 years $20 million

Less Harrison Smith's restructure 1 year $9 million

Essentially, these signings which spotrac has not published the details for will absorb almost all of the $12.5 million balance in cap space.
So it’s even less since you don’t have Darnold included. I also don’t see the new deals for Brandel and Quisenberry too. Either way, any other signing will need some rework done on some contracts. I’m guessing O’Neil’s contract will be restructured soon.
Last edited by Beetlejuice on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:14 pm

Yeah, we absolutely cannot go into next season with the current CB group.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

I presume a JJ extension would reduce the current cap if they needed more.

Just so I understand, had they signed Kirk, would the players defensive players not have been acquired unless they re-signed Kirk by kicking the can further down the road.

EDIT: I see it was answered above. Thanks mlhouse.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:17 pm

Yeah, we absolutely cannot go into next season with the current CB group.
At the same time, get a pass rush and below average corners look average.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Such as? If they add a veteran CB it is a lower level deal with a bounce back type of guy like Xavien Howard to a very cheap deal.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:21 pm

Such as? If they add a veteran CB it is a lower level deal with a bounce back type of guy like Xavien Howard to a very cheap deal.
Howard is 31. Tre’Davious White is available, but he’s injury prone. Other available corners are Adoree Jackson and Kendall Fuller.
Gizmo123

Post by Gizmo123 »

Why are my post not being approved
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beetlejuice wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:24 pm

Howard is 31. Tre’Davious White is available, but he’s injury prone. Other available corners are Adoree Jackson and Kendall Fuller.
CJGJ or Gilmore

Never mind CJ went to Philly. Kick the tires on Gilmore
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:31 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:24 pm

CJGJ or Gilmore
Gardner signed with the Eagles. Gilmore is pretty much a Patrick Peterson type player now. I doubt Flores would be on to that. If they sign a corner over 30, it would be Howard due to his ties with Flores.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Yes because with more salary cap space created from retaining than we instead now have less from losing him, we would have had less money to spend. Makes sense.

This isn't hard. It really, truly isn't. :lol:
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:55 pm

It really really does. :lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:07 pm

Yes because with more salary cap space created from retaining than we instead now have less from losing him, we would have had less money to spend. Makes sense.

Again… It has ramifications. It might not this year but you just keep kicking the can down the road and eventually it comes due.

They are clearing the cap for next year.

Sorry it’s over. You guys begged for the can kicking down the road for the last 5 years. It’s over, it went nowhere and you were wrong.

Imagine wanting to keep kicking the can down the road for a team who hasn’t won a playoff game in half a decade. :lol:

Your boy Kirt probably just got his team under investigation now. Enjoy Falcons fans. :lol:

Jaren Ball. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Im fine with it. I enjoy watching these younger Vikings teams and how they improve throughout the season vs the veteran teams that should play better and have more success but rarely live up to the hype. At least we can blame result on the below-average QB again. I mean that.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:15 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:07 pm

Again… It has ramifications. It might not this year but you just keep kicking the can down the road and eventually it comes due.

They are clearing the cap for next year.

Sorry it’s over. You guys begged for the can kicking down the road for the last 5 years. It’s over, it went nowhere and you were wrong.

Imagine wanting to keep kicking the can down the road for a team who hasn’t won a playoff game in half a decade. :lol:

Your boy Kirt probably just got his team under investigation now. Enjoy Falcons fans. :lol:

Jaren Ball. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, the patented Boob reply when humiliated - let's just make up a bunch of shit up about the person that exposed him to try to get even. Conversely, why is it that when anyone wants to box you or make fun of something you have done or said, all they have to do is quoted, and when you do it you have to make shit up? :lol:

I think what we should do is have a RC online tutorial on "understanding the NFL cap for dummies". We could let Mlhouse or Oriole or Beef lead the class. Hell I would pay for your and Gasssman tuition. Think about how it would be if you had just basic common sense knowledge on the cap? You guys can even partner up and maybe learn together!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Cap Update:

Current available cap: $7.704 million

The details of Greenard's and Aaron Jones' deal were finally released.

Greenard 4 years with a 5th void year $76 million $38 million guaranteed at signing signing bonus $16.5 million 2024 Cap Hit: $5.740 million
Aaron Jones 1 year $7 million fully guaranteed with 4 void years. $4 million signing bonus 2024 Cap Hit: $3.5 million

The details for Bullard, Feeney Griffin, Sherfield, and Jonah WIlliams, along with the newest signings Ward and Gunithier are not included in the available cap space and will REDUCE that available cap.

Likewise, the details for Harrison Smith's salary reduction are not included and will INCREASE the available cap.

If we extend Jefferson we probably will create 2024 cap space in the process. There is still some money available to sign veteran players but not extensive totals.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm Cap Update:

Current available cap: $7.704 million

The details of Greenard's and Aaron Jones' deal were finally released.

Greenard 4 years with a 5th void year $76 million $38 million guaranteed at signing signing bonus $16.5 million 2024 Cap Hit: $5.740 million
Aaron Jones 1 year $7 million fully guaranteed with 4 void years. $4 million signing bonus 2024 Cap Hit: $3.5 million

The details for Bullard, Feeney Griffin, Sherfield, and Jonah WIlliams, along with the newest signings Ward and Gunithier are not included in the available cap space and will REDUCE that available cap.

Likewise, the details for Harrison Smith's salary reduction are not included and will INCREASE the available cap.

If we extend Jefferson we probably will create 2024 cap space in the process. There is still some money available to sign veteran players but not extensive totals.
Thanks for the update. I had been wondering this. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master