Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Darnold to Vikings 1 year 10 million ***Everything Darnold Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Darnold to Vikings 1 year 10 million ***Everything Darnold Thread***

Post by minnemike »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm i don't think there's ever been a more divisive viking than kirko chainz. he's even starting to dominate the darnold thread. pretty sure there's going to be the same divisiveness down in hotlanta for the next few years as well.
You got that right - especially if all the Kirkistanis follow him down there. :lol:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

So now Tuber is pretending his previous chubbers for Cousins never happened. :lol:
SirJmon

Post by SirJmon »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:10 pm
SirJmon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:08 pm
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:06 pm

I don't know many elite HOF QBs who have only one career playoff win and had a reputation of being bad in primetime games for the majority of their career. Before this year, Kirk had two MNF victories (I think) ....both against the Bears.
You’re spinning again.

Hell, Fran never won one and he played with one of the best defenses in the history of the league. Now what?
I never said anything about a SB win. But a second playoff victory would be something. Did Fran ever have a playoff victory? More than one?
You’ve never once made a comment about Kirk never winning a SB?

Every Kirk hater here using that and as a barometer. But that barometer is EASILY torn to shreds. History shreds it. Elite HoF QB’s never won a big game. And there are plenty of shit QBs that have won one.

Kirk is a great QB, period. He wouldn’t have made the money he has made and continues to make if he was garbage. Oh wait, let me guess…you know more than the NFL franchises that have paid him that money, right? Or maybe, just maybe, they have paid him that because they think he’s worth it and know it’s a team sport and everything needs to come together at the right time in order to win? Maybe that’s it. Maybe they understand the game more than you. Just maybe. If not, then I would consider you a failure if you know the game more but aren’t at the NFL level?

It’s all a gamble either way. History proves it. Again, some of the best QBs have never won a SB. And some that are shit have because the team overall was great and or got lucky.
ForCaleb wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm I’m a self admitted hack.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

SirJmon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm

You’re spinning again.

Hell, Fran never won one and he played with one of the best defenses in the history of the league. Now what?
I never said anything about a SB win. But a second playoff victory would be something. Did Fran ever have a playoff victory? More than one?

Every Kirk hater here using that and as a barometer. But that barometer is EASILY torn to shreds. History shreds it. Elite HoF QB’s never won a big game. And there are plenty of shit QBs that have won one.

Kirk is a great QB, period. He wouldn’t have made the money he has made and continues to make if he was garbage. Oh wait, let me guess…you know more than the NFL franchises that have paid him that money, right? Or maybe, just maybe, they have paid him that because they think he’s worth it and know it’s a team sport and everything needs to come together at the right time in order to win? Maybe that’s it. Maybe they understand the game more than you. Just maybe. If not, then I would consider you a failure if you know the game more but aren’t at the NFL level?

It’s all a gamble either way. History proves it. Again, some of the best QBs have never won a SB. And some that are shit have because the team overall was great and or got lucky.
Do you have any evidence that I did before you started creating that strawman?

Secondly, let me try your logic. Sam Darnold is a great QB. So what if he has never won a SB. Many garbage QBs have won SBs and many elite HOF QBs haven't.

Your logic seems to be: because elite QBs haven't won SBs, you can now declare that anyone you want is a great QB because somehow NOT winning a SB is proof of greatness.

From a logical perspective, you have demonstrated that not winning a SB is not proof that you are NOT elite. But you also need some support that Kirk is great. Not winning a SB is not proof that you are great. When Kirk retires, do you think he will make the HOF? Do you think he will even be in the conversation? If not, you could point out that he never won a SB as proof that he is HOF worthy (because so many other HOF QBs did not win a SB.) If the criteria for HOF is any tangible playoff success, you might be in trouble.

You declared the Kirk is a great QB. Declare it all you want, it doesn't make it true. And you would find that the vast majority of the country (outside of MN) disagrees with you. He is a very good QB. Usually ranking about 10-12th in the league. Also known as the 67th percentile.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:49 pm So now Tuber is pretending his previous chubbers for Cousins never happened. :lol:
I was the super at Cousins condos. But I was wrong. He gave us some fun regular seasons but we never got good enough.

cunningham

Re: Darnold to Vikings 1 year 10 million ***Everything Darnold Thread*

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 pm Just start Mullens?!?

You guys couldn’t appreciate his game last year. You spent a quarter of the season bitching on here every day to get Jared “Lollipop Kid” Ball in the game. Our coaches were complete morons and couldn’t figure out just why this kid wasn’t getting his shot. :lol:

#AnotherCollectiveTakeThatJustVanishedInTheWind

#Never4Get
I hope Darnold is a lot better than Mullens. I liked some of Mullens throws and his decisiveness.

The thing about Cousins is that he spent every year as the starter and everything was designed around him. With Dobbs, Mullens, and Hall they were all expected to play on Cousins' offense. Mullens was the best of the 3, but he also turned it over way too much. Now, if he had an entire offense and scheme designed for him maybe it turns out different?

Darnold had everything built around him for 3 years, but he also got hurt and was on horrible teams. I don't think he'd be expected to carry the load here, but KOC does throw more than most coaches in the NFL.

I don't think losing Cousins is going to be that bad if we have some competent quarterbacks on this team this season.

Either way this is exciting! It was stale bread before.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

You’re spinning again.

Kirk is a great QB, period. He wouldn’t have made the money he has made and continues to make if he was garbage.
Not great at all. Above average for certain, but not great. He would need to win the Super Bowl a couple of times to be "considered" for discussion of being great.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:53 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:09 pm
minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:49 pm

All that means Kirk is simply not interested in winning the games more than the bank account totals. It probably also relates to why he is always healthy = he always makes the business decision and never puts it all on the line. Sadly, that also translates to a checkdown pass to end the season, at least subliminally for him if not consciously.
The first statement you have to wonder, unless its his ego was bruised, or I dont know - I just thought the smarts in the guy would win out. I was wrong.

Sorry, your second point is patently absurd. He stays in for hits as good as anyone in the league and gets the shit kicked out of him year after year - yes, some of it is on him for not being good in pocket with pressure, but the guy absolutely stays in for a hit to make a throw and is routinely praised by national announcers all the time. Not even sure how you can come with that.

Anyway, time to move forward, so long Kirk!
I think what fortitude he did show was only at the end with KOC pushing him for those instead of checkdowns. I'm talking about the entire 6 years as a whole. And in the end, for his very last throw as a Viking, he goes back to checkdown business decision. My point is, this is what his DNA is made of. KOC was able to do alot with him, but it still ended the same.

But yes, so long! Fare thee well oh sweet prince.
You want to have a discussion on check downs, that's a viable talker. It also has nothing to do with making a business decision, it was way more to do with being conservative and not throwing a guy open so something indeed he got better at with KOC. He stayed in for hits for downfield throws all the time and was pretty tough.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:43 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 am I guess I like the move, it's just a 1 year deal. His age doesn't really matter, because he'll likely bolt for a better deal elsewhere next year. The rookie Qb should be starting by next year, maybe even earlier anyways.
Are you suggesting that he is an okay, cheap bridge QB that we are not committing to long term so he's fine?
That's exactly what I'm saying, bruh.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 am I guess I like the move, it's just a 1 year deal. His age doesn't really matter, because he'll likely bolt for a better deal elsewhere next year. The rookie Qb should be starting by next year, maybe even earlier anyways.
Are you suggesting that he is an okay, cheap bridge QB that we are not committing to long term so he's fine?
That's too reasonable of a take for purple chat. Go into a dark room and take a few minutes to come up with an extreme take that either proclaims Darnold as the franchise savior or that his signing is the worst thing to happen to the Vikings since the Herschel Walker trade. Either one is fine but those are the only two choices.

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

He wearing #14? This is important shit. I think he should start fresh with #16. Do the double finger pistols after TD throws. Toothpick in the mouth when he's on the sidelines. Complete makeover.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
populousample

Post by populousample »

Sarge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:19 pm He wearing #14? This is important shit. I think he should start fresh with #16. Do the double finger pistols after TD throws. Toothpick in the mouth when he's on the sidelines. Complete makeover.
We can call him Yosemite Sam
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:59 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

That's too reasonable of a take for purple chat. Go into a dark room and take a few minutes to come up with an extreme take that either proclaims Darnold as the franchise savior or that his signing is the worst thing to happen to the Vikings since the Herschel Walker trade. Either one is fine but those are the only two choices.
When I went into the dark room for reflection, the only thing I could come up with is Sam Darnold drinks wine coolers...... :shrug:
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:48 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:35 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:50 am

This is really good. Thanks.

They like it and think KOC can really make him effective. Excited for this season to get started. Finally feels FRESH.
He is a lot more energetic and has a way quicker release than Cousins. Watching him scramble, can you imagine Cousins with those offensive lines? Hates is such an idiot for spamming these boards for 6 years with his excuses and Cousins ballwashing.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think we can do a lot better than Cousins and we have just been accepting his mediocre play for so long that we don’t remember when it was different. And Mullens, Dobbs, and Manion sucked balls. Each in different ways, but we need a new direction. Darnold is a start and drafting a guy is the right direction. We have Hall too, who might develop into something.

I’m pumped up!
Let’s go.

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:40 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm
minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:17 pm

Anyone for a first down. Does it look crowded out there? Stand in there and make the throw anyways. This was desperation and a better chance to throw despite coverage than a covered guy short of the 1stdown. It's the difference of making it happen, vs praying someone else will make it happen.
LOL!!! Anyone may do for you in your fantasy world but that is total lack of reality. He was going to be sacked because Leonard Williams just dismantled Ezra Cleveland. Jefferson was literally triple covered. Osborn ran a terrible looping route and was covered and still not in a spot to throw to. Thielen's route was a bad clearing route. Cook just ran a wasted flat route and was covered.

This was a bad call, bad play design and bad structure by Kevin and terrible execution by most of the offensive line and receivers.

The only player on the field on that "check down" that made a good play was Kirk Cousins who under significant pressure delivered the ball to the only receiver who had a chance to make a first down.

If you disagree with any of this, ask this question to yourself. On this play, why was TJ Hockenson running a check down route without any chance of making a first down?
He could have still tried to throw it downfield, period. How 'bout shuffle to one side to buy time? Anything but what happened would have been a heroic way to end it win or lose and I wouldnt have any issue with it. Why was Hock where he was? Maybe you need to ask him? IF it was a called route, then consider it a decoy and not a viable target. It's inexcusable as a final play of the season and quite frankly extremely hilarious reading all the Kirk apologists try and spin it. :lol: What would Favre done there? An INT? I'd respect that 100% more.
TO WHOM? Just loft up a prayer that had zero chance of completion?

50% of this is on Kevin OConnell who made a bad play call of a play that was very poorly designed. I will also add that something that I have stated that KOC does not adjust is that when they line up and you can see Jefferson is bracketed like he was on that coverage, they needed to create better alert calls to beat the brackets.

45% was on the interior of the offensive line. Watch their ineptness on this play.

5% was on poor route running by KJ Osborn, whom I think is the primary receiver on this call and Hockenson for not getting enough depth/separaation on his route.

The only player who did his job was Kirk Cousins. He threw a great pass under duress to the ONLY, repeat in all caps, ONLY, receiver who had a chance to make the first down.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The Lizard King wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:54 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:48 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:35 am

He is a lot more energetic and has a way quicker release than Cousins. Watching him scramble, can you imagine Cousins with those offensive lines? Hates is such an idiot for spamming these boards for 6 years with his excuses and Cousins ballwashing.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think we can do a lot better than Cousins and we have just been accepting his mediocre play for so long that we don’t remember when it was different. And Mullens, Dobbs, and Manion sucked balls. Each in different ways, but we need a new direction. Darnold is a start and drafting a guy is the right direction. We have Hall too, who might develop into something.

I’m pumped up!
Let’s go.

:lol: :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SPIN IT SAMMY SPIN IT!!!

TOUCHDOWN DARNOLD HIS 3RD OF THE DAY (PA Voice)
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sarge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:19 pm He wearing #14? This is important shit. I think he should start fresh with #16. Do the double finger pistols after TD throws. Toothpick in the mouth when he's on the sidelines. Complete makeover.
:lol:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 am Heck yes. The guy I was calling for 1 year deal. 10 mill.
Joe Flacco signed with the Colts for $8.7 million..
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:02 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 am Heck yes. The guy I was calling for 1 year deal. 10 mill.
rather have darnold than flacco. we saw flacco type QBing with kirk. statue-like. no thanks.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Joe Flacco signed for $8.7 million..
And? What significance does this have?

Flacco blows. I much rather go Darnold. Flacco is old as fuck and has ZERO upside.

He played on a team with one of the best defenses in the league and runs the shit out of the ball. You really want Flacco slinging it in KOCs system with this Oline? :lol:

I had ZERO interest in Flacco. He’s not dragging this team to the playoffs, no one out there is.

Now of you are saying they overpaid Darnold, maybe but there were other teams after him and I’m not going to cry over a couple mill.

Flacco was called off the couch during the season.
Last edited by RubeTube on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

also isn't that a red flag on AR?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm
rather have darnold than flacco. we saw flacco type QBing with kirk. statue-like. no thanks.
This. I don’t know if that’s what he’s getting on.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:08 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm

This. I don’t know if that’s what he’s getting on.
I agree with you guys....NO TO JOE!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I have some very important information about our new QB. His grandfather was one of the 4 original Marlboro men. His name was Dick Hammer
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:18 pm I have some very important information about our new QB. His grandfather was one of the 4 original Marlboro men. His name was Dick Hammer
Who cares!
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm
Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:18 pm I have some very important information about our new QB. His grandfather was one of the 4 original Marlboro men. His name was Dick Hammer
Who cares!
:shock:

I am certain you wouldn't have had the cajones to say that to Dick Hammer's face.
Lampin'
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Huge news
Lampin'
SirJmon

Post by SirJmon »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:16 pm

Secondly, let me try your logic. Sam Darnold is a great QB. So what if he has never won a SB. Many garbage QBs have won SBs and many elite HOF QBs haven't.

Your logic seems to be: because elite QBs haven't won SBs, you can now declare that anyone you want is a great QB because somehow NOT winning a SB is proof of greatness.

From a logical perspective, you have demonstrated that not winning a SB is not proof that you are NOT elite. But you also need some support that Kirk is great. Not winning a SB is not proof that you are great. When Kirk retires, do you think he will make the HOF? Do you think he will even be in the conversation? If not, you could point out that he never won a SB as proof that he is HOF worthy (because so many other HOF QBs did not win a SB.) If the criteria for HOF is any tangible playoff success, you might be in trouble.

You declared the Kirk is a great QB. Declare it all you want, it doesn't make it true. And you would find that the vast majority of the country (outside of MN) disagrees with you. He is a very good QB. Usually ranking about 10-12th in the league. Also known as the 67th percentile.
You declaring he isn’t great doesn’t make it so either. The difference is that in every single measurable for QB, Kirk destroys it. And FYI, Sam Darold’s numbers in just about every measurable are not good. It’s why he has been on a million teams in his very short career trying/hoping to find anyone that can connect with him. So your SD argument is crap. It’s not Kirk’s fault people were constantly dropping balls, fumbling and God knows everything else that has gone wrong with our teams. Does he have faults, of course he does. He also shares some of the blame. But to say he isn’t great is the dumbest take I have ever heard.

Again, you can’t have it both ways. And it’s a team sport. End of story.
Last edited by SirJmon on Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForCaleb wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm I’m a self admitted hack.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SirJmon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:30 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:16 pm

You declaring he isn’t great doesn’t make it so either. The difference is that in every single measurable for QB, Kirk destroys it. And FYI, Sam Darold’s numbers in just about every measurable are not good. It’s why he has been on a million teams in his very short career trying/hoping to find anyone that can connect with him. So your SD argument is crap. It’s not Kirk’s fault people were constantly dropping balls, fumbling and God knows everything else has gone wrong with our teams. Does he have faults, of course he does. He also shares some of the blame. But to say he isn’t great is the dumbest take I have ever heard.

Again, you can’t have it both ways. And it’s a team sport. End of story.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master