Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Darnold to Vikings 1 year 10 million ***Everything Darnold Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Darnold to Vikings 1 year 10 million ***Everything Darnold Thread***

Post by Mandatory »

The Lizard King wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:36 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm Alright that's gotta be somebody's bit^^^

You couldn't find any good reason to root for this team in 26 years and quote a Sam Darnold Meme?

I hope this ain't you Sergeant Rubetube, and to be real Darnold could potentially turn it around but let facts be facts.

QB's make coaches look great, not the other way around.

The ideal situation is they complement each other with a bunch of other great talent around them.

Even Tom Brady had that, through the countless years they had talent in various years at various positions. Mahomes has the best coach in the NFL, the best TE in the NFL, the best DT in the NFL and at one point had a top five WR in the NFL.
I'm a Raiders fan (poor me), but I at least celebrated 3 SB wins early in my life.

My wife is a Vikings fan (poor her).

The last Vikings team that I saw on the field that was completely DOMINATE was that 1998 team -- they would've won the SB that year if it wasn't for a bad kick.

Sam Darnold played college football at my alma mater -- I've watched every collegiate game he's played. He's a stud.
Funny considering a lot of people, myself included, consider that the greatest offense of all time.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:40 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm Alright that's gotta be somebody's bit^^^

You couldn't find any good reason to root for this team in 26 years and quote a Sam Darnold Meme?

I hope this ain't you Sergeant Rubetube, and to be real Darnold could potentially turn it around but let facts be facts.

The ideal situation is they complement each other with a bunch of other great talent around them.

Even Tom Brady had that, through the countless years they had talent in various years at various positions. Mahomes has the best coach in the NFL, the best TE in the NFL, the best DT in the NFL and at one point had a top five WR in the NFL.
I'm a Raiders fan (poor me), but I at least celebrated 3 SB wins early in my life.

The last Vikings team that I saw on the field that was completely DOMINATE was that 1998 team -- they would've won the SB that year if it wasn't for a bad kick.

Sam Darnold played college football at my alma mater -- I've watched every collegiate game he's played. He's a stud.
Funny considering a lot of people, myself included, consider that the greatest offense of all time.
I agree. They were fun to watch.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Sam Darnold played college football at my alma mater -- I've watched every collegiate game he's ever played. He's a stud.
:thumbsup:
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:15 pm

Sam Darnold played college football at my alma mater -- I've watched every collegiate game he's ever played. He's a stud.
What if Darnold turns out to be an exact replica of Kirk Cousins? Would Vikes fans be okay with that?

They’re still quite clearly positioned to get a top QB this draft too.

Would Vikes fans be disappointed if Darnold turns out to be a solid QB and they spent all that capital on a guy they ultimately didn’t need?

Anyway. I hope in one way, shape, or form, the Vikes solve their QB situation for the foreseeable future.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

TheLokNesMonster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 am

What if Darnold turns out to be an exact replica of Kirk Cousins? Would Vikes fans be okay with that?

Would Vikes fans be disappointed if Darnold turns out to be a solid QB and they spent all that capital on a guy they ultimately didn’t need?

Anyway. I hope in one way, shape, or form, the Vikes solve their QB situation for the foreseeable future.
I posted this in one of the draft threads but it goes here more appropriately....

I think KOC has bigger hopes for Darnold than pretty much everyone else in the world. I could see them even passing on QB if the guy(s) they want don't pan out for them to pick. Darnold should have a higher floor than any of the guys they trotted out last season after Kirk injury, and KOC gets to dedicate an entire camp of first team reps with him (if they dont draft a guy). He could certainly surprise. But all that puts the future in a fog. If he doesnt pan out they are left with picking from next year's crop OR picking up yet another FA QB and another year of JJ wasted.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:47 am

I posted this in one of the draft threads but it goes here more appropriately....

I think KOC has bigger hopes for Darnold than pretty much everyone else in the world. I could see them even passing on QB if the guy(s) they want don't pan out for them to pick. Darnold should have a higher floor than any of the guys they trotted out last season after Kirk injury, and KOC gets to dedicate an entire camp of first team reps with him (if they dont draft a guy). He could certainly surprise. But all that puts the future in a fog. If he doesnt pan out they are left with picking from next year's crop OR picking up yet another FA QB and another year of JJ wasted.
If that's the plan they should all be fired from top to bottom.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:45 am

There are many other outcomes where they would get fired as well. This one isnt even as egregious as some.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

That might be the hope, but history has shown it usually isn't the case. Seems like you need to groom your quarterback and if he isn't groomed well out of college they don't usually pan out. Seems like those first few years determine the success of most NFL quarterbacks.

Darnold is saying the right things, and he was the youngest guy to start quarterback in the NFL, but it is very hard to say what he will do here. Dobbs got worse here and once film was out on him he was totally inept. Now he is replacing Darnold in SF.

Finding a Mahomes is looking darn near impossible. And, can KOC be flexible enough with his scheme where a Mahomes would even find success here?

Just shy of a month left, but it feels like forever!
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:45 am

There are many other outcomes where they would get fired as well. This one isnt even as egregious as some.
It’s intriguing what some “experts” are saying though about Darnold and KOC and how this pairing might have some magic. Maybe they know something we don’t about these guys. It’s interesting though, because I think the Vikes have one guy in mind, and if he gets drafted before they pick, they aren’t going to reach for a consolation prize at QB.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

It wouldn't be the first time they draft Laquon Treadwell and Adam Thielen and Diggs were on the roster.

With that said relying on Darnold is probably last resort. This dudes been a turnover machine. I don't know what his fumble numbers are but backup QB numbers.

The bright side is he's young enough imo to reverse all that and got all the tools. I just watched the game he played last year and low and behold he fumbled the ball away at the end of the game on his final drive. That's problem the bottom line with him rejuvenating his career. Clean up the turnovers and bad decisions.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 am

That might be the hope, but history has shown it usually isn't the case. Seems like you need to groom your quarterback and if he isn't groomed well out of college they don't usually pan out. Seems like those first few years determine the success of most NFL quarterbacks.

Darnold is saying the right things, and he was the youngest guy to start quarterback in the NFL, but it is very hard to say what he will do here. Dobbs got worse here and once film was out on him he was totally inept. Now he is replacing Darnold in SF.

Finding a Mahomes is looking darn near impossible. And, can KOC be flexible enough with his scheme where a Mahomes would even find success here?

It sure seemed like got worse when teams were keeping him in the pocket. Once he couldn't scramble in his dazzling plays with his feet it was over.

Some people blamed KOC but I think it was the defensive game plans. Sound gap pass rushing and spy's, keep him in the pocket, don't give him any lanes.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:01 pm

It sure seemed like got worse when teams were keeping him in the pocket. Once he couldn't scramble in his dazzling plays with his feet it was over.

Some people blamed KOC but I think it was the defensive game plans. Sound gap pass rushing and spy's, keep him in the pocket, don't give him any lanes.
It's pretty dang tough for a QB to learn an entire scheme on the fly.
Dobbs was clearly over thinking and missing some easy throws.
Then KOC tried to give him some easy quick hitters but the problem with Dobbs is his telegraphic motion, it's awful.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Perhaps, but you need to counter those schemes. If they are gap rushing and spying their rush should not be as effective and they have holes in their coverage. If you know they are spying, one of the linebackers is not in a zone or covering a receiver. The Vikings didn't do anything with those openings.

The biggest mistake OConnell did with Dobbs was not design and call 3-5 designed QB running plays each game or anything with RPO elements.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:45 pm

Perhaps, but you need to counter those schemes. If they are gap rushing and spying their rush should not be as effective and they have holes in their coverage. If you know they are spying, one of the linebackers is not in a zone or covering a receiver. The Vikings didn't do anything with those openings.

The biggest mistake OConnell did with Dobbs was not design and call 3-5 designed QB running plays each game or anything with RPO elements.
100% this
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the vikings did have a designed run against the broncos on their first drive. dobbs took a helmet to helmet hit and fumbled the ball. that was probably the play of the post cousins season. they never really recovered from that loss.

btw, kiper has a different theory as to why mccarthy is moving up the draft boards. it's in one of the threads--but he said that after the season is when the coaches start doing the evaluating on these guys. the coaches like what they see in JJ.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 pm

the vikings did have a designed run against the broncos on their first drive. dobbs took a helmet to helmet hit and fumbled the ball. that was probably the play of the post cousins season. they never really recovered from that loss.

btw, kiper has a different theory as to why mccarthy is moving up the draft boards. it's in one of the threads--but he said that after the season is when the coaches start doing the evaluating on these guys. the coaches like what they see in JJ.
That was the dumbest fucking play design ever.

I don’t believe this staff has a clue how to run the football no matter who is out there.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:48 pm

I don’t believe this staff has a clue how to run the football no matter who is out there.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you could be right. they call that a penalty and the vikings go on to win that game the dobber might've been able to keep the run going. everything went downhill for him after that game.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Yeah, but that was a trick play, not a real designed QB run that forces the defense to have to respect that threat. So I will give you a half point. Plus there was one other call in which Chandler was the lead blocker and he ripped a pretty nice run.

AS far as the McCarthy "moving up the boards", I continue to disagree that this even happened. While mock draft web sites might have had McCarthy as a 2nd or even 3rd round pick, no NFL coach/scout ever did. There wasn't a board to climb. He was a top 15 pick as soon as they laid their board out.

Notice that he never "moved up" my board. I was arguing LONG ago he was a top 15 pick that there was a solid chance the Vikings would have to trade up to be in a position to draft. Everyone, or just about everyone, on this forum thought that was insane. But there is no doubt that when you watch JJ McCarthy play he is a potential NFL franchise QB. He has THE BEST arm talent in this draft and great mobility. In the draft evaluation process there were a couple of issues that could have adjusted his position in the draft: if he weighed in under 205 and his 40 time. But he weighed 219 at the combines putting all the weight issues to rest.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:55 pm

Yeah, but that was a trick play, not a real designed QB run that forces the defense to have to respect that threat. So I will give you a half point. Plus there was one other call in which Chandler was the lead blocker and he ripped a pretty nice run.

AS far as the McCarthy "moving up the boards", I continue to disagree that this even happened. While mock draft web sites might have had McCarthy as a 2nd or even 3rd round pick, no NFL coach/scout ever did. There wasn't a board to climb. He was a top 15 pick as soon as they laid their board out.

Notice that he never "moved up" my board. I was arguing LONG ago he was a top 15 pick that there was a solid chance the Vikings would have to trade up to be in a position to draft. Everyone, or just about everyone, on this forum thought that was insane. But there is no doubt that when you watch JJ McCarthy play he is a potential NFL franchise QB. He has THE BEST arm talent in this draft and great mobility. In the draft evaluation process there were a couple of issues that could have adjusted his position in the draft: if he weighed in under 205 and his 40 time. But he weighed 219 at the combines putting all the weight issues to rest.
kiper is talking to some guy that might've actually been an NFL scout (it's on the last page of the maye or mccarthy thread) and who has maye as a significantly better prospect than JJ. butch tells you when the convo starts. give it a listen.

i like the arm/mobility combination with mccarthy and if the vikings draft him i'll have high expectations.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:40 pm

The only other offense that can compete with that offense also had Randy Moss in it.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

William Munny wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:54 pm

Love Fake Adam Schefter!
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:26 pm

Love Fake Adam Schefter!
If you believe KOC, then Darnold could have a pretty good season.
“I think his best football is ahead of him because how he’s handled the last couple years,” O’Connell said, pointing to the coaching Darnold received under 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Brian Griese last season.

“When you turn on the tape of his work in San Francisco, you can tell – Kyle, Brian Griese – the kid’s did a great job in the next phase of his career. Fundamentals, techniques – things you look at to see growth. I’m excited to get going with Sam because I think we can pick up where he left off last year. … I think it’s going to be a really really positive situation for Sam.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... 3896&ei=53
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

William Munny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm
minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:26 pm

Love Fake Adam Schefter!
If you believe KOC, then Darnold could have a pretty good season.
“I think his best football is ahead of him because how he’s handled the last couple years,” O’Connell said, pointing to the coaching Darnold received under 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Brian Griese last season.

“When you turn on the tape of his work in San Francisco, you can tell – Kyle, Brian Griese – the kid’s did a great job in the next phase of his career. Fundamentals, techniques – things you look at to see growth. I’m excited to get going with Sam because I think we can pick up where he left off last year. … I think it’s going to be a really really positive situation for Sam.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... 3896&ei=53
I do too.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Mayfield with the Panthers and CMC 1-6

Darnold with the Panthers and no CMC 4-2
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:25 am Mayfield with the Panthers and CMC 1-6

Darnold with the Panthers and no CMC 4-2
LOL... true. But here is his passing yardage in each of those games as a Carolina Starter: 164 120 225 250 341 43

They didn't play any playoff teams, the last game with 43 yards passing they won 10=7 with the only td scored on a fumble recovery. In the win against the Lions, the best win of this series, the produced 320 yards rushing. Give credit where credit is due, but don't think that proves much.

Lets see how Darnold can develop with a team that will look to develop him rather than the shitty teams he has been on. I think he has drawn crappy head coaches in his tenure: Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, Matt Rhule. I still don't think there is any evidence of Kevin OConnell being a "Quarterback Whisperer" (Like I said, in his NFL coaching career he has coached Josh McNown, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, back to Kirk Cousins who were not whispered into anything). But I think Kevin is a head coach who can work with his players and get a lot out of them.

I hope Sam has a great season and really breaks through. This is especially true if we trade away future picks (which we already have). With the improving defense (I hope this is true) and the existing talent at teh skilled position we could really be an improved team overall.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

:lol:

I do wonder, if Darnold has success here, will teams start to become more patient with QB development? No everyone makes the jump right away. I know the clock starts ticking as that second contract decision nears, but it seems like figuring out a way to be more patient might behoove NFL teams in light of some guys figuring it out later in life.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:22 am

:lol:

I do wonder, if Darnold has success here, will teams start to become more patient with QB development? No everyone makes the jump right away. I know the clock starts ticking as that second contract decision nears, but it seems like figuring out a way to be more patient might behoove NFL teams in light of some guys figuring it out later in life.
Spinning in the rain!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

If he became Cousins? F YES. He’s younger, going to have to play good for at least a few straight years before he would get the type of money Kirt got AND he’s mobile.

Sam done gonna get it done.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master