Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 1st Time on the Course: 2024 Edition***

beetlebum71

***Official 1st Time on the Course: 2024 Edition***

Post by beetlebum71 »

I hit the links for a quick 9 yesterday morning at Oneka Ridge w/ Mrs. Beetlebum. She talked a big game, but lost by 16 strokes. I shot a 44, which wasn't bad considering I haven't swung a club since October. Birdied short par 5 #1 and tough par 4 #6. Hit my tee shot into a divot on 6 just in the rough, was about 100 out, choked down on a PW and just chopped at it, and stuck it to 8 feet. Shot of the day for sure. It was a little chilly at first, but wasn't bad once we got going. I'm pretty sure this is the earliest the course has opened since I started playing out there about 10 years ago. Felt great to get out!
Hornets

Re: ***Official 1st Time on the Course: 2024 Edition***

Post by Hornets »

Anxious to start my season!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

I havent even ordered golf balls yet.
Wont play for another month is my guess.
Might head over to the driving range to just hit some shots.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

courses that are open are open for the year. they're filling the tills with money that you just can't expect to be getting in minnesota at this time of the year. good for them.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:02 pm courses that are open are open for the year. they're filling the tills with money that you just can't expect to be getting in minnesota at this time of the year. good for them.
We will see how much of that money they need to spend once the grass starts to grow.
And the ones that are open will not hesitate to close if it gets too wet with rain/snow or too cold.
It is a interesting conversation.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:13 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:02 pm courses that are open are open for the year. they're filling the tills with money that you just can't expect to be getting in minnesota at this time of the year. good for them.
We will see how much of that money they need to spend once the grass starts to grow.
And the ones that are open will not hesitate to close if it gets too wet with rain/snow or too cold.
It is a interesting conversation.
yeah there could be a shutdown for a couple of days if it snows or gets too cold--but in the meantime the courses are bringing in the money. another day of it today.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Oneka is keeping the grass on the greens longer to avoid disease hitting them. When it's below freezing regularly at night, apparently that increases the chance for that. It took a couple holes to get use to the speed, but it wasn't too bad. Course was in great shape. The assistant pro was saying that sometimes lack of snow cover is bad for the grass, but it was so warm this winter that it doesn't seem to have been a problem.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Well back to mostly a shut down. Just a couple of places opening up for 2 days this week.
The conversation I hear from courses is everything from the grass will be fine, to we really dont know, and a few saying they know they will be spending some $$ at growing time to help the grass recover.
One said his perfect plan would be a nice warm up to get the ground warm followed by 4-5 days of slow rain to get some fertilizer into the ground.
I think we will see alot of punched greens in April/May as well.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am I hit the links for a quick 9 yesterday morning at Oneka Ridge w/ Mrs. Beetlebum. She talked a big game, but lost by 16 strokes. I shot a 44, which wasn't bad considering I haven't swung a club since October. Birdied short par 5 #1 and tough par 4 #6. Hit my tee shot into a divot on 6 just in the rough, was about 100 out, choked down on a PW and just chopped at it, and stuck it to 8 feet. Shot of the day for sure. It was a little chilly at first, but wasn't bad once we got going. I'm pretty sure this is the earliest the course has opened since I started playing out there about 10 years ago. Felt great to get out!
Nice!! Glad to hear you hit them well! Me and my oldest tax deduction went to the range last week. I hit 6 iron through wedge acceptable. Not great but not awful. All would have been playable. But good lord the 17 year can destroy the golf ball. He was hitting my 5 iron 200+ yards and he took my driver and sent a few tee shots past the markers and into the tree's-- prolly 300 yards