Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

nourish your mind, body, and spirit cont'd.

"untilled ground, however rich, will bring forth thistles and thorns; so also the mind of man."- st therese of lisieux

"a house is no home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as for the body."- margaret fuller

"there is no end to education. it is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. the whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning."- jiddu krishnamurti

"i have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. i should not be ungrateful to these teachers."- kahlil gibran

"when we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love."- thich nhat hanh
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

nourish your mind, body, and spirit cont'd.

"anything less than a contemplative perspective on life is an almost certain progress for unhappiness."- father thomas keating

"to keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."- buddha

"the body is a sacred garment. it's your first and last garment; it is what you enter life in and what you depart life with, and it should be treated with honor."- martha graham

"if we are creating ourselves all the time, then it is never too late to begin creating the bodies we want instead of the ones we mistakenly assume we are stuck with."- deepak chopra

"whatever good results i find in my reflections come to me when i am walking."- goethe

"a vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world."
- paul dudley white
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: accept change

"nothing endures but change."- heraclitus

"all is change; all yields its place and goes."- euripides

"change is the process by which the future invades our lives."- alvin toffler

"we change, whether we like it or not."- ralph waldo emerson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

accept change cont'd.

"it's not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."- charles darwin

"just when i think i have learned the way to live, life changes."- hugh prather

"for a seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. the shell cracks, its insides come out and everything changes. to someone who doesn't understand growth, it would like like complete destruction."- marcel proust

"and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom."- anais nin

"if we don't change, we don't grow. if we don't grow, we are not really living."- gail sheehy

"we must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise, we harden."- goethe
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

accept change cont'd.

"the human specie is forever in a state of change, forever becoming."- simone de beauvoir

""awareness is the greatest agent for change."- eckhart tolle

"all change, even the most longed for, have their melancholy: for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another!"- anatole france

"every human has the freedom to change at any instant."- viktor e. frankl

"step out of the history that is holding you back. step into the new story you are willing to create."- oprah winfrey

"when you're finished changing, you're finished."- benjamin franklin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

accept change cont'd.

"one must never lose time in vainly regretting the past or in complaining against the changes which cause us discomfort, for change is the essence of life."- anatole france

"any real change implies the breakup of the world as one has always known it, the loss of all that gave one in identity, the end of safety."
- james baldwin

"if you don't like something, change it. if you can't change it, change your attitude."- maya angelou

"you cannot, you cannot use someone else's fire. you can only use your own. and in order to do that, you must first be willing to believe that you have it."- audre lorde

"if you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one."- dolly parton

"change your life today. don't gamble on the future, act now, without delay."- simone de beauvoir
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

accept change cont'd.

"there is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse; as i have found in traveling in a stage coach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position and be bruised in a new place."- washington irving

"have no fear of change as such and, on the other hand, no liking for it merely for its own sake."- robert moses

"the first resistance to social change is to say it's not necessary."- gloria steinem

"we must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles."- jimmy carter

"lasting change is a series of compromises. and compromise is all right, as long as your values don't change."- jane goodall

"change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. we are the ones we've been waiting for. we are the change we seek."
- barack obama

"today is not yesterday. we ourselves change. how then, can our works and thoughts, if they are always to be the fittest, continue always the sme? change, indeed, is painful, yet ever needful: and if memory has its force and worth, so also has hope."- thomas carlyle

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world."- mahatma gandhi
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter. outside of a couple of missed quotes from the first chapter--i'm posting the complete book. we're about one third through it--so there's still a ways to go.

seek simplicity

'simple in actions and in thoughts, you return to the source of being."- lao tzu

"eat when you're hungry. drink when you're thirsty. sleep when you're tired."- buddhist proverb

"bringing simplicity into our lives requires that we discover the ways in which our consumption either supports or entangles our existence."
- duane elgin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

seek simplicity cont'd.

"our life is frittered away by detail...simplicity, simplicity, simplicity. i say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand; instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumbnail."- henry david thoreau

"how many things are there which i do not want."- socrates

"have nothing in your house that you do no know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."- william morris

"possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury...to me these have always been contemptible. i believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind."- albert einstein

"as you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."- henry david thoreau

"how many things can i do without?" socrates
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

seek simplicity cont'd.

"simplicity is the most difficult thing to secure in this world; it is the last limit of experience and the last effort of genius."- george sand

"reduce the complexity of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves."- edwin way teale

"besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the art of leaving things undone. the wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials."- lin yutang

"simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough."- charles dudley warner

"beware of the barrenness of a busy life."- socrates

"the art of art, the glory of expression and the sunshine of the light of letters, is simplicity."- walt whitman
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:59 am seek simplicity cont'd.

"reduce the complexity of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves."- edwin way teale

"besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the art of leaving things undone. the wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials."- lin yutang

"simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough."- charles dudley warner
I especially love this segment on seeking simplicity.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hummdrum wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:59 am seek simplicity cont'd.

I especially love this segment on seeking simplicity.
:thumbsup: me too.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I have called attention to this thread in the Today in History on the general discussion board but I don't know if I provided a direct link. I plan on doing that. A lot of Froobs need some serious intellectual guidance, they are degenerating into a downward spiral. They can find hope here.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

seek simplicity cont'd. (finishing up the chapter with more than the usual quotes.)

"simplicity is the final achievement. after one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art."- frederic chopin

"a visible simplicity of life,
embracing unpretentious ways
and small self-interest
and poverty of covering."
- lao tzu

"one always begins with the simple, then comes the complex, and by superior enlightenment one often reverts in the end to the simple. such is the course of human intelligence."- voltaire

"the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak."- hans hofmann

"live simply so that others may simply live."- mahatma gandhi

"in everything, love simplicity."- st. francis de sales

"a simple lifestyle is good for us, helping us to better share with those in need."- pope francis

"voluntary simplicity means going fewer places in one day rather than more, seeing less so i can see more, doing less so i can do more, acquiring less so i can have more."- jon kabat-zinn

"i am convinced, both by faith and experience, that to maintain one's self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live simply and wisely."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

new chapter: love and kindness

"love is the center of human life."- dalai lama

"it is love alone that gives worth to all things."- st. teresa of avila

"love is a fruit, in season at all times and within the reach of every hand. anyone may gather it and no limit is set. everyone can reach this love through meditation, the spirit of prayer, and sacrifice."- mother teresa
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

love and kindness cont'd.

"falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. by and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. not that you are in love--now you are love."- osho

"being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."- lao tzu

"the supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly speaking, loved in spite of yourself."- victor hugo

"true love is both loving and letting oneself be loved. it is harder to let ourselves be loved than it is to love."- pope francis

"love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses."- lao tzu

"love is when each person is more concerned for the other than for one's self."- david frost
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if you love a flower, don't pick it up. because if you pick it up it dies and it ceases to be what you love. so if you love a flower, let it be. love is not about possession. love is about appreciation."- osho

"what we have once enjoyed we can never lose. all that we love deeply becomes a part of us."- helen keller

"each time you ove, love as deeply as if it were forever."- audre lorde

"we are shaped and fashioned by what we love."- goethe

"real love doesn't die. it's the physical body that dies. genuine, authentic love has no expectations whatsoever; it doesn't even need the physical presence of a person....even when he is dead and buried that part of you that loves the person will always live."- elisabeth kubler-ross

"love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone."- mitch albom
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own."- willa cather

"you cannot save people. you can only love them."- anais nin

"we have al known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love."- dorothy day

"true love is but a humble, low born thing.
and hath its food served up in earthenware;
it is a thing to walk with, hand in hand,
through the every-dayness of this workday world."
- james russell lowell

"for one human being to love another human being: that is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation."- rainer maria rilke

"perfect love means putting up with people's shortcomings, feeling no surprise at their weaknesses, finding encouragement even in the slightest evidence of good qualities in them."- st therese of lisieux
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"my feelings of love may be unbounded, but my capacity to be loving is limited. i therefore must choose the person on whom to focus my capacity to love, toward whom to direct my will to love. true love is not a feeling by which we are overwhelmed. it is committed, thoughtful decision."
- m. scott peck

"the love of our neighbor in all its fullness simply means being able to say to him, 'what are you going through?'"- simone weil

"every act of love is a work of peace, no matter how small."- mother teresa

"the worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity."
- george bernard shaw

"here is the rule: love, and do what you will."- st. augustine

"whoever has loved knows all that life contains of sorrow and of joy."- george sand
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if you're going to care about the fall of the sparrow you can't pick and choose who's going to be the sparrow. it's everybody."- madeleine l'engle

"spread love everywhere you go. let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."- mother teresa

"love is the missing factor; there is a lack of affection, of warmth in relationship; and because we lack that love, that tenderness, that generosity, that mercy in relationship, we escape into mass action, which produces further confusion, further misery."- jiddu krishnamurti

"hurt people hurt people. that's how pain patterns get passed on, generation after generation. break the chain today. meet anger with sympathy, contempt with passion, cruelty with kindness. greet grimaces with smiles. forgive and forget about finding fault. love is the weapon of the future."
- yehuda berg

"whenever we encounter another person in love, we learn something new about God."- pope francis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best part of a person's life."- william wordsworth

"kindness in words creates confidence.
kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
kindness in giving creates love."
- lao tzu

"be kind whenever possible. it is always possible."- dalai lama

"what do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other."- george eliot

"one kind word can warm three winter months."- japanese proverb

"wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."- seneca

"when i was young, i used to admire intelligent people; as i grow older, i admire kind people."- rabbi abraham joshua heschel
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is a little embarrassing that, after 45 years of research and study, the best advice i can give to people is to be a little kinder to each other."
- aldous huxley

"right from the moment of our birth, we are under the care and kindness of our parents and then later on in our life when we are oppressed by sickness and become old, we are again dependent on the kindness of others. since at the beginning and end of our lives we are so dependent on others' kindness, how can it be that in the middle we neglect kindness toward others?"- dalai lama

"what we do for ourselves dies with us. what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."- albert pike

"how far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. because someday in your life you will have been one of these."- george washington carver

"there is a ripple effect in helping another."- kathleen a. brehony
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"kindness gives birth to kindness."- sophocles

"all acts of service are meaningless unless they are given with love."- sai baba

"and i am convinced now that each occasion for giving in charity strengthens the habit and makes it easier."- william james

"i ask you one thing: do not tire of giving, but do not give your leftovers. give until it hurts, until you feel the pain."- mother teresa

"love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. without them, humanity cannot survive."- dalai lama

"i shall pass through this world but once. any good therefore that i can do or any kindness that i can show to any human being, let me do it now. let me not defer or neglect it, for i shall not pass this way again."- mahatma gandhi
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter! compassion and forgiveness

"the whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another."- thomas merton

"true compassion means not only feeling another's pain but also being moved to help relieve it."- daniel goleman

"compassionate people are geniuses in the art of living, more necessary to the dignity, security and joy of humanity than the discoverers of knowledge."- albert einstein
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

compassion and forgiveness cont'd.

"let us not underestimate how hard it is to be compassionate. compassion is hard because it requires the inner disposition to go with others to places where they are weak, vulnerable, lonely, and broken. but this is not our spontaneous response to suffering. what we desire most is to do away with suffering by fleeing from it or finding a quick cure for it."- henri nouwen

"a person who practices compassion and forgiveness has great inner strength, whereas aggression is usually a sign of weakness."- dalai lama

"until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace."- albert schweitzer

"compassion for others begins with kindness to ourselves."- pema chodron

"i learned compassion from being discriminated against. everything bad that's ever happened to me has taught me compassion."- ellen degeneres

""to love means loving the unlovable. to forgiv means pardoning the unpardonable. faith means believing the unbelievable. hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless."- g.k. chesterton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"any ordinary favor we do for someone or any compassionate reaching out may seem to be going nowhere at first, but may be planting a seed we can't see right now. sometimes we need to just do the best we can and then trust in an unfolding we can't design or ordain."- sharon salzberg

"the weak can never forgive. forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."- mahtama gandhi

"when you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. then you will forget your anger."- epictetus

"true reconciliation does not consist in merely forgetting the past."- nelson mandela

"to forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. in return, you will receive untold peace and happiness."- robert muller

"to err is human, to forgive divine."- alexander pope
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"forgive and ask to be forgiven; excuse rather than accuse."- mother teresa

"i earned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. it's a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. it's not something that happens overnight. it's an evolution of the heart."- sue monk kidd

"when a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive."- alan paton

"as i walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, i knew if i didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, i'd still be in prison."- nelson mandela

"it's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. forgive everybody."- maya angelou

"self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others."- christopher germer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete."- jack kornfield

"your problem is you're too busy holding onto your unworthiness."- ram dass

"nothing i accept about myself can be used against me to diminish me."- audre lorde

"a moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. a string of such moments can change the course of your life."- christopher germer

"compulsive concern with 'i,me, mine' isn't the same as loving ourselves...loving ourselves points us to capacities of resilience, compassion, and understanding that are simply part of being alive."- sharon salzberg

"only by learning to live in harmony with your contradictions can you keep it all afloat."- audre lorde
Fatass Vikings Fan

Post by Fatass Vikings Fan »

"Life is suffering. This is a great truth. Perhaps the best truth. Only when we accept this as truth does the suffering end.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

wrapping up the compassion and forgiveness chapter. still more than half of the book to go--but when this project gets finished it will be the complete book.

"forgive yourself before you die. then forgive others."- mitch albom

"sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. don't worry whether or not they finally understand you. love them and release them. life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time."- sara paddiso

"the practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world."- marianne williamson