Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 2024 NFL Free Agency***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Bob Wiley

Re: ***Official 2024 NFL Free Agency***

Post by Bob Wiley »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 am
Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:29 am
mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:24 am

No. I explained this to you already.
What is the number we have to spend?
Because several of the contract details of players we have signed are unknown at this time to "the public" that number can only be estimated.

IT is minimal. The $15.2 million does not include several contract that have been signed, including Greenard. It also does not include the pay cut Harrison Smith took that probably reduced his cap hit by up to $10 million.

It also does not include the NET rookie cap allocation for our draft picks and UDFA signings nor the finalization of dead cap for players that might not make the roster this season. For example, if they cut Kene Nwangwu they would have $188,200 in additional dead cap on the 2024 salary cap because of the allocation of the last year of his original signing bonus.

Isn't it fun to actually learn about the NFL salary cap instead of just bloviating numbers you hear from sources that are just bloviating about things they do not totally understand?
What’s the number? Or don’t we know it yet?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:39 am

Because several of the contract details of players we have signed are unknown at this time to "the public" that number can only be estimated.

IT is minimal. The $15.2 million does not include several contract that have been signed, including Greenard. It also does not include the pay cut Harrison Smith took that probably reduced his cap hit by up to $10 million.

It also does not include the NET rookie cap allocation for our draft picks and UDFA signings nor the finalization of dead cap for players that might not make the roster this season. For example, if they cut Kene Nwangwu they would have $188,200 in additional dead cap on the 2024 salary cap because of the allocation of the last year of his original signing bonus.

Isn't it fun to actually learn about the NFL salary cap instead of just bloviating numbers you hear from sources that are just bloviating about things they do not totally understand?
We don't know. I would estimate the number is minimal, about $8 million when all is said and done.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 am

We don't know. I would estimate the number is minimal, about $8 million when all is said and done.
Why didn’t you just say that a long time ago? :lol:
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am
mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 am

Why didn’t you just say that a long time ago? :lol:
I did. I said the $17.8 million number wasn't correct and that it was much lower. But you just wanted to argue.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The Vikings really lack backup offensive linemen on the roster right now. Outside of Feeney, who is the backup center, and Quesenberry, the only other linemen they have were 2023 practice squad guys.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm The Vikings really lack backup offensive linemen on the roster right now. Outside of Feeney, who is the backup center, and Quesenberry, the only other linemen they have were 2023 practice squad guys.
This team is half allergic to stacking the trenches under Kwesi. Really outside of Ed Ingram they have not deployed high draft capital to this area. Rick got beat up real bad about it and as he was headed out he put a lot of effort into building the Oline which they have today.

Now they got a QB dilemma and all the attention is there. At some point their gonna have to get serious about getting the trenches better. I think we start to see that really happen in the next couple drafts and offseasons.

It's not impossible to do it with the later round picks they have in the past. Hunter was not a high draft pick, neither was Everson Griffen. It can be done, teams find good Guards all the time in later rounds.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm The Vikings really lack backup offensive linemen on the roster right now. Outside of Feeney, who is the backup center, and Quesenberry, the only other linemen they have were 2023 practice squad guys.
They are wary to sign FA IOL because they are more concerned about the compensatory forumula, I think. I don't mind this. They are having a bit of a reboot. They will deal with cheaper guys and let's hope they hit on a decent guard in the 4th.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

The number is whatever they need it to be. Only the Vikings know how they are allocating contracts/bonuses over next 3-4 years. And they can change it further. The cap room is fluid.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 pm
They are wary to sign FA IOL because they are more concerned about the compensatory forumula, I think. I don't mind this. They are having a bit of a reboot. They will deal with cheaper guys and let's hope they hit on a decent guard in the 4th.
I think that you are overstating the compensatory issue a bit too much. But yes, I think this draft will feature several mid-later round offensive linemen to develop and they probably will take their time to see who is available after 6/1 when there might be a few more names available.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 pm
I think this is correct.

It’s a one-step back to take two steps forward philosophy.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

What do you think? Does he still have something left?

CB Xavien Howard to the Vikings
Minnesota is a forward-thinking operation right now, post-Kirk Cousins. But the Vikings addressed their front seven with longer-term pieces. They could stand to bolster the secondary with more proven insurance alongside Byron Murphy Jr. and Akayleb Evans, and Howard has a Pro Bowl history with Brian Flores.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:24 am

No. I explained this to you already.

No, not really. You're posting all of this on Froob Chat, not Forbes. Your long paragraphs are unpleasing to they eye, and I mostly skip over your stuff because you won't just say: "I don't know yet".
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 pm

No, not really. You're posting all of this on Froob Chat, not Forbes. Your long paragraphs are unpleasing to they eye, and I mostly skip over your stuff because you won't just say: "I don't know yet".
Hilarious. I get its over your head.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 pm
Boom
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

So how does the compensation play into this? He was cut by the Texans last year and played three games with Carolina. He won’t count against compensation, right?
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Not my favorite signing. Maybe three years ago this would have been a solid. But the guy got cut mid season by Houston, a playoff level team.

The guy was a pro bowl level CB 5 years ago but he had a severe back injury in 2022 and I doubt he is the same player.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:28 pm
Dudes name is “jihad.”

Awesome. If we ever play a team with a quarterback named “heathen” or “apostate” we’re golden.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 pm
Dudes name is “jihad.”

Awesome. If we ever play a team with a quarterback named “heathen” or “apostate” we’re golden.
It’s JI-Had not GEE-Had
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm
Dudes name is “jihad.”

It’s JI-Had not GEE-Had
Don’t fuck with my dreams, tube.

Don’t you fuck with my dreams.

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I was thinking I'd find this guy on PFT's free agent list.. he wasn't. Why is he getting up to 6 mil? Shouldn't this be a close to league minimum signing? Guy was cut last year... someone can educate me but Xavien Howard, Steven Nelson and Stephon Gilmore all still available... plus Doogie mentioned on Purple Daily today Sneed's camp likes the fit here with Flores.

Hmm... :shrug:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 pm
I was thinking I'd find this guy on PFT's free agent list.. he wasn't. Why is he getting up to 6 mil? Shouldn't this be a close to league minimum signing? Guy was cut last year... someone can educate me but Xavien Howard, Steven Nelson and Stephon Gilmore all still available... plus Doogie mentioned on Purple Daily today Sneed's camp likes the fit here with Flores.

Hmm... :shrug:
"Up to $6M"

When the contract details come out, I expect the base salary and guarantees to be modest. PT bonuses will push it to a max of $6M.

- Isaac Asimov
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Dudes name is “jihad.”

It’s JI-Had not GEE-Had
Don’t fuck with my dreams, tube.

Don’t you fuck with my dreams.

:lol:
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Dudes name is “jihad.”

Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Mel's latest updated mock doesn't use trades so he has JJ coming to us at 11. At 23, Cooper Dejean Iowa CB. Isn't he a S?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:57 am
Dudes name is “jihad.”

Durka durka…

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 am Mel's latest updated mock doesn't use trades so he has JJ coming to us at 11. At 23, Cooper Dejean Iowa CB. Isn't he a S?
No. He’s a CB
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 am Mel's latest updated mock doesn't use trades so he has JJ coming to us at 11. At 23, Cooper Dejean Iowa CB. Isn't he a S?
It would be so sweet to get him for no trade up.

But I have a hard time believing they will just sit there and watch all those teams pass him up and hope he gets to them. I suppose that could happen if they really arent 100% sold on him as their guy worth trading up for, which is also not the best.

Permutations are endless! Sports pundit paradise!