Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 2024 NFL Free Agency***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Re: ***Official 2024 NFL Free Agency***

Post by hategreenticemase »

minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:12 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 am Mel's latest updated mock doesn't use trades so he has JJ coming to us at 11. At 23, Cooper Dejean Iowa CB. Isn't he a S?
It would be so sweet to get him for no trade up.

But I have a hard time believing they will just sit there and watch all those teams pass him up and hope he gets to them. I suppose that could happen if they really arent 100% sold on him as their guy worth trading up for, which is also not the best.

Permutations are endless! Sports pundit paradise!
Yeah it's unrealistic, that ain't happening. But I guess they mandated his premise be for his latest mock that he doesn't do any trades...
hategreenticemase

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:26 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 am Mel's latest updated mock doesn't use trades so he has JJ coming to us at 11. At 23, Cooper Dejean Iowa CB. Isn't he a S?
No. He’s a CB
Thank you sir.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Question: Do we have a 3rd round pick this year? If not, where'd it go?
Also, a friend of mine said we are sniffing around Sneed. He says KC doesn't want to pay him.
Just asking.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Does he explain why JJ dropped to #11? Seem like everyone else has him going top 5. If he drops to us do we want him? Why did everyone else pass on him? Or is Mel getting senile? I truly don't know.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm Question: Do we have a 3rd round pick this year? If not, where'd it go?
Also, a friend of mine said we are sniffing around Sneed. He says KC doesn't want to pay him.
Just asking.
They do not have a 3rd this year. It was part of the TJ Hockinson deal.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:09 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm Question: Do we have a 3rd round pick this year? If not, where'd it go?
Just asking.
:thumbsup: That's right. Forgot about that.
Maybe we could be like Wimpy, I'll gladly give you a 3rd rounder next year for a 3rd rounder today. :D
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:09 pm
Just asking.
Technically they don’t, but they also got Det’s 4th, so that’s why we have two 4ths.
It was just a small pick swap this year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

hategreenticemase

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:09 pm
Does he explain why JJ dropped to #11? Seem like everyone else has him going top 5. If he drops to us do we want him? Why did everyone else pass on him? Or is Mel getting senile? I truly don't know.
It's based mostly on (I am guessing) that he isn't allowed to do trades. So under that premise, it's really only giants passing on him. With Atlanta now set at QB no one else needs one between 4-10. So, yeah, not realistic.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 am
Is there a reason Y1 is so much lower than Y2-4? Is that a fixed result or by design? Pros and cons?

I don't know dick about NFL contracts so treat me like a 2nd grader/Caleb.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:47 pm
Is there a reason Y1 is so much lower than Y2-4? Is that a fixed result or by design? Pros and cons?

We had some, but not a lot, of cap space this year, so this structure helps get him in cheap year 1. We have a TON of space next year and in the future, so this structure allows a hit next year. The extra years with a low signing bonus allow us to restructure the guaranteed base salary next year into a bonus to reduce next year’s cap too.

All these tricks eventually catch up with you, but as the cap keeps rising, those penalties become less and less severe as a percentage of the cap as you move forward.

The way I read this contract from a cap standpoint is:

2024: $5.47M
2025: $8.05M

Then in 2026 he will either be released with a $24.15M hit or more likely restructured/extended. This could be by giving him a whole new deal if he’s playing great or guaranteeing some of his unguaranteed ‘26 base salary into a bonus and spreading it too down the road to get the number down. Otherwise, he plays at a $27.05M cap number, which seems high for him, but if he plays really well maybe by then it will not.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 pm

We had some, but not a lot, of cap space this year, so this structure helps get him in cheap year 1. We have a TON of space next year and in the future, so this structure allows a hit next year. The extra years with a low signing bonus allow us to restructure the guaranteed base salary next year into a bonus to reduce next year’s cap too.

All these tricks eventually catch up with you, but as the cap keeps rising, those penalties become less and less severe as a percentage of the cap as you move forward.

Then in 2026 he will either be released with a $24.15M hit or more likely restructured/extended. This could be by giving him a whole new deal if he’s playing great or guaranteeing some of his unguaranteed ‘26 base salary into a bonus and spreading it too down the road to get the number down. Otherwise, he plays at a $27.05M cap number, which seems high for him, but if he plays really well maybe by then it will not.

Ok thanks.

[edit] I understand why they want to push some of that out further knowing that the cap will increase, but imho this isn't a team that should be looking for playoff wins in 2024. So why not put a little bit more into the first year which gives even more room to sign FAs starting in 2025 when hopefully their prospects for the playoffs have improved? Just feels like a repetitive methodology of always having to play catch-up.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

:lol:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:04 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 pm

Ok thanks.

[edit] I understand why they want to push some of that out further knowing that the cap will increase, but imho this isn't a team that should be looking for playoff wins in 2024. So why not put a little bit more into the first year which gives even more room to sign FAs starting in 2025 when hopefully their prospects for the playoffs have improved? Just feels like a repetitive methodology of always having to play catch-up.
Because we have such little cap space this year. We’ve made quite a few moves this year, and this is how.

They could have signed a lesser guy for one year and kept their cap clean moving forward, but they obviously like Greenard and want him on the roster moving forward. My guess is they’re going to land a rookie QB and don’t want that guy to go to a shitty, run-down roster that will fail him. We still have plenty of room to sign guys next year.

Also, I think there’s a least a chance they move their 2025 first round pick for a Quarterback, so looking for success this year has no downside, even though significant playoff success is likely a pipe dream.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

This contract restructure created a little more space than most of us thought.

- Isaac Asimov
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 pm This contract restructure created a little more space than most of us thought.

I like this restructure. He’s one of those players that should retire a vike.
Spoiler:
:fight:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 pm This contract restructure created a little more space than most of us thought.

They did this at a cost, however. His 2024 contract was all non-guaranteed. His restructure was done by blasting his original $14.450 million 2024 base salary down to $1.490 million but they gave Smith a fully guaranteed $7 million signing bonus.

The Vikings could have released him and reduced his cap hit in 2024 to $7.831 million without having to pay him anything.

Instead, with the pay reduction they will have a cap hit of $7.315 million at the cost of writing checks to Smith that will total $9 million in 2024.

The restructure also did the same to his original 2025 base salary which was $17 million but is now reduced to $1.255 million. I doubt that Smith will play in 2025 for that amount (he will be 36 years old in 2025). This deal, however, created $9.5 million in dead cap in 2025 that will have to be accounted for.
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

Sense we're going to have a ton of cash to spend next year, can someone find and post an early list of the 2025 free agency pool?
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

WayneVikes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:48 pm Sense we're going to have a ton of cash to spend next year, can someone find and post an early list of the 2025 free agency pool?
Jamar Chase
Spoiler:
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
hategreenticemase

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 pm
Someone explain this to me. Why is this hard? Pretty sure the guy isn't playing hardball for everything we read. All we saw was strong indication Bradbury was finally gone and now he is coming back and we sign some fn chump who has off scores below 50 the last couple years presumably to be a back up, and we are going to run off a starter?

Pssst, you are running off the wrong iol starter.
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:02 pm
Someone explain this to me. Why is this hard? Pretty sure the guy isn't playing hardball for everything we read. All we saw was strong indication Bradbury was finally gone and now he is coming back and we sign some fn chump who has off scores below 50 the last couple years presumably to be a back up, and we are going to run off a starter?

It’s weird. I thought he was legit. He might not have all his faculties.
Spoiler:
hategreenticemase

SKOLTROL wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:12 pm

I don't get it. Everyone raves about how he is in lockerroom also. Baffling.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

He does have a bit over the top bible banger thing going on. Wonder if he tries to convert locker rooms to some extremist religious group or something. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Roadskol

Post by Roadskol »

minnemike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 am

He does have a bit over the top bible banger thing going on. Wonder if he tries to convert locker rooms to some extremist religious group or something. :shock: :lol: :lol:
I know PA was all giddy to have him on his bible thumper podcast.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

That doesn't add up, most of the league is religious to an extent. Unless he's an Allah extremist who hates America, I don't get why that would make a team shy away from him. Even if it was the comp pick thing, t doesn't add up to me. Dudes a dawg, hope we can bring him back.
hategreenticemase

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Um, that seems pretty fn reasonable.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:15 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Um, that seems pretty fn reasonable.
It does so far, pending the new contract details. You would think a lot if teams would be in on a trade like that. Must be wanting decent coin too.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am

That doesn't add up, most of the league is religious to an extent. Unless he's an Allah extremist who hates America, I don't get why that would make a team shy away from him. Even if it was the comp pick thing, t doesn't add up to me. Dudes a dawg, hope we can bring him back.
Risner is an interesting case for sure. The fact that he has spent two off seasons now begging NFL teams to sign him seems to indicate to me that his financial terms are not out of line. I think he played well enough to get a chance at earning another NFL job in 2024. I don't know anything about his religious beliefs but that isn't a huge thing in the NFL. His wife is a bit kooky, but reasonable enough good looking so he meets one of the froobs highest credential. BTW, the way the wife dresses and his religious beliefs seems to create a bit of a mixed message, not that I disapprove.

I do think that the movement of mid-level veteran free agent offensive linemen is about the slowest in the market. THis is probably due to the cap adjustments that teams make during the offseason and it really puts a premium on waiting until after the 6/1 cuts are made to make your move. If you sign Risner to even a reasonable contract that might eliminate an even better option later in free agency.

If you look at the free agent guards that have signed you have several at the top of the pyramid (Hunt an incredible 5 years $100 million, Onewnu 3 year $57, Damien Lewis 4 years $51 milliong, Runayn 3 years $30 million). Then you have a bunch of low level signings under $3 million/season. Only two guards have signed for under $30 million and over $10 million to date this offseason. This pattern suggests how the market for these linemen might be slow developing.

There are also some that are claiming that the Vikings want Risner to leave because they are playing the comp pick games and need a free agent loss like RIsner to cancel out the signing of Shaq Griffin, otherwise that signing would cancel out a 3rd round comp pick gain. If that is the case, the Vikings made a huge mistake signing Griffin.

IF I were running the team I think I would approach Risner with a low level multi-year contract offer. I think he showed enough last season that he is a solid average NFL guard. I would offer him the same contract we gave Blake Brandel. This would create a solid depth chart and continuity.