Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft Scenarios that would make you 🤮

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Draft Scenarios that would make you 🤮

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:24 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:18 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:10 pm

The 2022 draft was about so much more than just Hamilton.

*They could have done a smaller trade down and gotten McDuffie, plus add'l Day 2 capital.

*They could even have stayed at the original Det trade down spot and still gotten Mafe, Pickens, Ingram and Travis Jones.
Not to mention that they could have taken Tariq Woolen instead of Akayleb Evans.

Technically revisionist history, but not really.
Those were all guys that we on here were discussing heavily and that fit perfectly with our needs.

Getting four picks in the top 66 with nothing to show for it, is about as impressive as one can get in ineptness. 
I understand that, I hated every pick in that draft pretty much when it happened. You can go look it up I bitched all weekend while some here called me a moron, they won’t go find that to bump though.

The guys in the rds after #1 are pretty easy to say now that you have seen them play. We can do this every draft. I think the consensus here was that the trade with GB was a good one and many liked Booth. I lost my shit when we spent that 2nd pick on Ingram, I hated that pick. Almost all of us found the 1st trade idiotic but the other picks are a bit of revisionist history at this point.

It’s not just Kwesi either. Rick had some horrible drafts here too especially towards the end.
Ironically, Ingram is going to almost certainly be the best player among them.
Right. He still sucks but at least he plays.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:22 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:10 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:05 pm

Give me Maye. Higher floor. Played at a higher level longer.

I’d be cool with Daniels, but I think Maye is a better fit for the KOC offense.

My bottom line is they need to address this position this year and they need to get their guy. I share some of mlhouse’s concerns that they shouldn’t take a guy just to take him. But I would absolutely overpay if necessary to get the guy you like. Who cares if it costs us an extra second rounder over what the chart says? You get the guy you think is the franchise quarterback for 15 years. If we trade up for Maye and he’s great, do you think anyone in 2032 is going to care about an extra pick over chart value we gave up in 2025? Fuck no. You gotta get your guy and you gotta be right. But do what the Wolves did. Take your swing. You can’t hit if you don’t swing.
Agreed. I think I take Maye over Daniels too.

Do you think Daniels goes before Maye? I do.
:shrug:

I don’t know. Maybe. Feels like a Washington kind of pick.

He might be good. Insane ceiling. I worry he’s too slight and is a bit of a one-read and go guy; like a better Justin Fields. Maybe he does get to Lamar Jackson status like he’s being compared to. That’s possible. And I’d take that risk at 3 if Maye was gone. But if I have my choice, I’ll take Drake.

Also, I really like my QBs to have more than one dominant season in the NCAA. We haven’t seen what happens when teams adjust to his skillset yet.
The reason why I am not sold sold on Maye is if you watch him play more than highlights you will be asking yourself how can someone with all of that protypical size and skill make so many fucking bad passes. It would drive me crazy. If you look at my evaluation you can read what I think the problem is and I think it is correctable.

I would take any of the QB4. The only reservation I have with those guys is if they select Daniels they need to adjust their offensive to accommodate him.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:22 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:50 pm

There was no one on draft night who did more bitching about that draft than me. It was terrible but that pick doesn’t have this team sitting much different than it is now. Sure, it would be nice to have a stud on defense but this team still isn’t a contender adding someone like Hamilton.

Until they get the QB position right, none of it really matters.

*They could have done a smaller trade down and gotten McDuffie, plus add'l Day 2 capital.

*They could even have stayed at the original Det trade down spot and still gotten Mafe, Pickens, Ingram and Travis Jones.
Not to mention that they could have taken Tariq Woolen instead of Akayleb Evans.

Those were all guys that we on here were discussing heavily and that fit perfectly with our needs.

Getting four picks in the top 66 with nothing to show for it, is about as impressive as one can get in ineptness. 
I liked the recap of teh trades I did right after that draft:

To evaluate the first trade made, we need to link several trades together.
Trade 1 Vikings Trade Pick 12 (1) and Pick 46(2nd) for Pick 32(1), Pick 34(2) and pick 66(3)
Trade 2 Vikings Trade Pick 34(2) for Pick 53(2) and Pick 59(2)
Trade 3 Vikings trade Pick 53(2), Pick 77 (3), and Pick 192(6) for Pick 42(2) and 122(4)
If you add these trades together you net:
Traded picks 12(1) 46(2) 77(3) and 192(6) for Picks 32(1), Pick 42(2) Pick 59(2) Pick 66(3) Pick 122(4)
To drop 20 picks in the first and forgoing trading more premium prospects like Jameson Williams, Kyle Hamilton, Jordan Davis, Trent McDuffie, or Treylon Burks we gained 4 spots in the 2nd round, 18 spots in the 3rd and swapped a 6th round for a 3rd round pick. IT doesn’t take a rocket scientist to conclude that this was not good draft value.

That is just terrible, terrible draft value management ignoring who was picked and who wasn't.

I liked the pick of Cine at 32 independently of the trade. He was a really dynamic player who flew all over the field that would have developed with time in my opinion. I even liked Andrew Booth pick, he was a talented and tough mofo in college. Again, football injuries kill careers. His career has been killed.

I love how the former "Coach Guy" thought Cine was perhaps better than Hamilton and the argument over Asamoah was classic.
No excuses for Booth being hurt. That was his MAJOR red flag coming out. The kid even said in his draft interview that he hadn’t been healthy since sometime in high school. :lol:

It shouldn’t have been a shock that he’s injury prone.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

There was no one on draft night who did more bitching about that draft than me. It was terrible but that pick doesn’t have this team sitting much different than it is now. Sure, it would be nice to have a stud on defense but this team still isn’t a contender adding someone like Hamilton.

Trade 1 Vikings Trade Pick 12 (1) and Pick 46(2nd) for Pick 32(1), Pick 34(2) and pick 66(3)
Trade 3 Vikings trade Pick 53(2), Pick 77 (3), and Pick 192(6) for Pick 42(2) and 122(4)
Traded picks 12(1) 46(2) 77(3) and 192(6) for Picks 32(1), Pick 42(2) Pick 59(2) Pick 66(3) Pick 122(4)
To drop 20 picks in the first and forgoing trading more premium prospects like Jameson Williams, Kyle Hamilton, Jordan Davis, Trent McDuffie, or Treylon Burks we gained 4 spots in the 2nd round, 18 spots in the 3rd and swapped a 6th round for a 3rd round pick. IT doesn’t take a rocket scientist to conclude that this was not good draft value.

That is just terrible, terrible draft value management ignoring who was picked and who wasn't.

I liked the pick of Cine at 32 independently of the trade. He was a really dynamic player who flew all over the field that would have developed with time in my opinion. I even liked Andrew Booth pick, he was a talented and tough mofo in college. Again, football injuries kill careers. His career has been killed.

I love how the former "Coach Guy" thought Cine was perhaps better than Hamilton and the argument over Asamoah was classic.
The Cine injury sucked and there’s no way anyone could have guarded against that. If healthy, there’s a good chance he does justify a late-1. It’s not a guarantee. He wasn’t even on his way yet (he hadn’t beaten out anyone for defensive playing time before his injury). But he might have gotten there eventually. We’ll never know.

But Booth was constantly injured all through HS and college. That was a roll of the dice. Perhaps too much of one. They can be ripped for that.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:27 pm

No excuses for Booth being hurt. That was his MAJOR red flag coming out. The kid even said in his draft interview that he hadn’t been healthy since sometime in high school. :lol:

It shouldn’t have been a shock that he’s injury prone.
Right.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:25 pm

I understand that, I hated every pick in that draft pretty much when it happened. You can go look it up I bitched all weekend while some here called me a moron, they won’t go find that to bump though.

The guys in the rds after #1 are pretty easy to say now that you have seen them play. We can do this every draft. I think the consensus here was that the trade with GB was a good one and many liked Booth. I lost my shit when we spent that 2nd pick on Ingram, I hated that pick. Almost all of us found the 1st trade idiotic but the other picks are a bit of revisionist history at this point.

It’s not just Kwesi either. Rick had some horrible drafts here too especially towards the end.
He was decent last year. He had a few stinker games, but he was not the reason we sucked last year.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:29 pm

He was decent last year. He had a few stinker games, but he was not the reason we sucked last year.
The Risner addition helped. That’s a guy I don’t hear about much here but I rather ink him than some of the other FAs mentioned. He was solid and only 28 at a position guys can usually play longer. I’m obviously not breaking the bank but I would like to have him back at a reasonable amount. It would be nice to see our (Hopefully) young QB have a decent Oline.

One of the reasons I think GB has success with their QBs is they always seem to have a good Oline and good depth there.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:32 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:29 pm

The Risner addition helped. That’s a guy I don’t hear about much here but I rather ink him than some of the other FAs mentioned. He was solid and only 28 at a position guys can usually play longer. I’m obviously not breaking the bank but I would like to have him back at a reasonable amount. It would be nice to see our (Hopefully) young QB have a decent Oline.

One of the reasons I think GB has success with their QBs is they always seem to have a good Oline and good depth there.
Risner was pretty good. I’d keep him. I don’t know what the going rate for a good, but sub-pro-bowl level guard is, but whatever it is, they should give it to him. Then if Ingram takes a step forward as big as the one he took from year 1 to 2, we’re a center away from a pretty good OL.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

*Booth was drafted with injury risk though. Kwesi doesn't get a pass for that.
*I was a huge Travis Jones fan, and took him for us in RD2 of the froob draft. Would have made a helluva lot more sense than Asamoah, especially when you consider just the obvious need for us to build up our trenches. Jones was a diet Jordan Davis and is playing very nicely for Balt.
*I'm pretty sure Woolen went in RD2 as well in the froob draft, as we were high on his size/speed upside. Kwesi passed on him on Day 3 for a different CB.

It's really far more egregious than any of our average years.

And yes, Spielman absolutely contributed to the well being dryer before that, but that is why he lost his job.
But you can turn around an entire franchise's fortune with a few good drafts in a row.
That's what Kwesi was supposed to do.

Do that, plus have another good draft in 2023, which I think they did. I'll give them credit for that.
Clean up the books like they have.

Then we should be a pretty good and elevated team by the end of last year, even if Cousins has the injury.
Then we're staring at the ability to re-sign him for a reasonable amount but with a far better team to start with, or having the ability to draft someone like Penix without having to trade any additional capital.
Hunter is also probably far more interested in re-signing here if we show more competency.

A competent organization would have been able to pull that off.
Just look at what Balt, KC, Dal, SF did in that year's draft, with worse picks to start with than we did.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:28 pm

The Cine injury sucked and there’s no way anyone could have guarded against that. If healthy, there’s a good chance he does justify a late-1. It’s not a guarantee. He wasn’t even on his way yet (he hadn’t beaten out anyone for defensive playing time before his injury). But he might have gotten there eventually. We’ll never know.

But Booth was constantly injured all through HS and college. That was a roll of the dice. Perhaps too much of one. They can be ripped for that.
But it also wasn't a need though, wasn't a premier position, and he wasn't night and day the best player available.
We had such a need for pass rushing and could have just taken Mafe, or done a modest trade up for Karlaftis.

It was still weird.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:51 pm

But it also wasn't a need though, wasn't a premier position, and he wasn't night and day the best player available.
We had such a need for pass rushing and could have just taken Mafe, or done a modest trade up for Karlaftis.

It was still weird.
Dude just cuz it was a need, it's not a position that is critical anyway and just because there were better players avail doesn't make it a bad pick! :lol:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It was still weird.
We took Harrison Smith late in the first once and that worked out.

I’m just saying, the prospect that was Cine in 2022 justifies a late first round pick. It’s defensible. The trade-back isn’t. But if you had the 32 some other way, sure. Or if you got a ton more value in the trade, sure. Pick Cine. He was reasonable value there.

I don’t think the premium position thing matters as much picking late in the first round and beyond. Top-half, sure. I’m not picking a center or a guard in the top-15 picks unless it’s a no-doubt hall of famer.

The guy many of us wanted (myself especially) at 12 in that draft was also a safety. Even though it’s not a premium position and it wasn’t a huge need, I would have just taken Hamilton.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:07 pm

It was still weird.

I’m just saying, the prospect that was Cine in 2022 justifies a late first round pick. It’s defensible. The trade-back isn’t. But if you had the 32 some other way, sure. Or if you got a ton more value in the trade, sure. Pick Cine. He was reasonable value there.

I don’t think the premium position thing matters as much picking late in the first round and beyond. Top-half, sure. I’m not picking a center or a guard in the top-15 picks unless it’s a no-doubt hall of famer.

The guy many of us wanted (myself especially) at 12 in that draft was also a safety. Even though it’s not a premium position and it wasn’t a huge need, I would have just taken Hamilton.
I will agree that a competent GM can win a multitude of ways.
If the Cine pick hit just like Harrison did, then that's great.

However, Harrison this time around still a few years left whereas when we initially drafted him we didn't have quality safeties.
There were also comparable players of more important positions to us in 2022.
That's why I say it was a weird pick. We didn't need it.

If it hits big though and he's a Harry clone, and then we turn around and get a 10 sack guy in round 4, while using the money we received from letting Harrison go towards a starting guard and they all hit, then it's great.

Kind of similar to Irv Smith. TE wasn't a need, but he was close to best player available.
If he becomes an all pro and we're still able to find a competent guard in the later rounds like we really needed, then great.

But if they end up sucking, then it's not just a singular positional miss.
You lose out on the opportunity cost of using that pick towards a player of a more pressing position. And that played out for us when we got Samia later in the draft, and weren't able to develop him.

That's how I feel.
If you do something "unconventional," it better fucking work.
That's a healthy way to look at revisionist history.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:22 pm

It was still weird.

However, Harrison this time around still a few years left whereas when we initially drafted him we didn't have quality safeties.

If it hits big though and he's a Harry clone, and then we turn around and get a 10 sack guy in round 4, while using the money we received from letting Harrison go towards a starting guard and they all hit, then it's great.

Kind of similar to Irv Smith. TE wasn't a need, but he was close to best player available.
If he becomes an all pro and we're still able to find a competent guard in the later rounds like we really needed, then great.

You lose out on the opportunity cost of using that pick towards a player of a more pressing position. And that played out for us when we got Samia later in the draft, and weren't able to develop him.

That's how I feel.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with drafting a replacement a year or maybe two before you need it.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:28 pm

That's how I feel.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with drafting a replacement a year or maybe two before you need it.
If it’s Hamilton as a top 5 talent falling into your lap, it’s one thing.
But once they chose to move away from that, then that was no longer the case.

Cine was not a significant value compared to comparable other players available, so he would have to hit his absolute zenith in order for it to make sense. And even then it would have come with delayed return when we had a slim window to try and maintain a window.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

That's how I feel.

Cine was not a significant value compared to comparable other players available, so he would have to hit his absolute zenith in order for it to make sense. And even then it would have come with delayed return when we had a slim window to try and maintain a window.
That’s overthinking it, imho. By pick 32, there’s a lot of comparable talents in a pretty flat tier. Guys are shoulder to shoulder with each other. You pick the guy you like and fits what you’re trying to do. Cine is a reasonable pick there. Not perfect, but reasonable. The disaster with Cine was not the pick, it was the trade back and subsequent injury.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Maybe Cine will be ready to wow everyone this year.

Not.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

:thumbsup:
Last edited by BuDG123 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Trading 1sts, given up a 2nd, 4th, and 6th to San Francisco for Sam Darnold, then with the 31st pick in the 2024 NFL draft The Minnesota Vikings select Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri.. :irked:
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

That's how I feel.

I commend you for waving the white flag. It's helpful to understand it's impossible to be correct there, he ain't gonna be wrong. That just doesn't happen. :lol:

You will have to settle for being right with everyone else. All your points were logical and high quality, well done. About 5 other directions we could have taken that would have been better than Cine with or without his injury.
j-one

Post by j-one »

Trading up for a non-QB
hategreenticemase

j-one wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:32 am Trading up for a non-QB
I gotta be honest, now that would be funny if for no other reason than to getcha popcorn and watch this place implode. :lol:
j-one

Post by j-one »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:46 am
j-one wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:32 am Trading up for a non-QB
I gotta be honest, now that would be funny if for no other reason than to getcha popcorn and watch this place implode. :lol:
With the 4th pick in the draft, the Vikings select safety...
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:41 pm It's not the Wilfs fault that Kwesi completely botched the 2022 draft.
We've seen the video.
They had absolutely no idea what Kwesi was talking about when he was trying to rationalize the trade down.
There's a video out there of that conversation?? I don't think I could even hate-watch that one. Too many bad memories, just cringy.
witljon

Post by witljon »

A players best ability is availability.
hategreenticemase

Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:17 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:41 pm It's not the Wilfs fault that Kwesi completely botched the 2022 draft.
We've seen the video.
They had absolutely no idea what Kwesi was talking about when he was trying to rationalize the trade down.
There's a video out there of that conversation?? I don't think I could even hate-watch that one. Too many bad memories, just cringy.
I don't think I remember a video on that either? Oriole you still have it?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

We've seen the video.
Watch the other people's facial expressions as they try to explain what they're doing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhCzsI1WvQ
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:25 am
We've seen the video.
Watch the other people's facial expressions as they try to explain what they're doing...

What minute mark you talking about? I don't have time to watch whole thing
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:18 am

What minute mark you talking about? I don't have time to watch whole thing
4-8 roughly?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
salamander

Post by salamander »

We've seen the video.

Some of those faces. Yikes.

Kwesi does seem like the kind of dude I'd hang out with though.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.