Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

I agree with Chuck on this one..

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
BuDG123

I agree with Chuck on this one..

Post by BuDG123 »

Speaking in a recent podcast episode, NBA legend Charles Barkley roasted the modern NBA and likened the product to an extended three-point contest. Barkley, an NBA Hall of Famer turned broadcaster, explained why he hates what the league has become and blamed the long-distance jumper for removing all complexity from the game.

“It’s awful basketball. I hate to be the old get off my lawn dude. No defense, and it’s becoming a three-point shooting contest," said Barkley via All the Smoke podcast with Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes . "The only thing that bothers me is that [players] just go to the gym and jack up threes all night, and if they make them, they win, and if they miss them, they lose. I don’t mind guys shooting threes but you’re a big guy shooting threes now? If y'all just going to have a three-point shooting contest, just say it.”

Scoring has seen a record spike this season as teams are shooing more threes now than ever before. Seemingly every night, we're seeing teams drop 120+ points or more in a game and the stars have been going off recently with multiple 60 and 70-point performances in a relatively short span.

While some might equate this uptick in scoring with more talent across the board, others believe a change in defense has a lot to do with it. Unlike in years past, defenses are limited in how they can slow down their opponents, and the rules, as they stand now, heavily favor the offensive end.

For Barkley, and many old-school fans and players, this change is not for the better and it takes away from the overall experience viewing experience for the fans. The 2024 All-Sar game was the perfect example of this modern trend gone wrong, and everyone can agree that it has the potential to become a serious problem.

The NBA Is Investigating The Balance Between Offense And Defense

The NBA will never revert back to how things were in the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s. At that point, things were too far in favor of the defense, and physical contact was far beyond what should be considered normal for the game of basketball.

The NBA implemented several rules to combat this problem but the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Thanks to the explosion of the three-pointer and a boom in talent around the world, scoring has reached new unprecedented heights with mixed results. On one hand, some would argue it's nice to see more points being exchanged in every game. On the other hand, the lack of defense across the board has diluted the quality of the product and it's not a good look for the league.

Now, the outrage has grown so severe that the NBA is considering some major changes . Whether by eliminating the defensive 3-second rule or simply allowing more contact on defense, the league has a number of ways to address the scoring overload, and fans are eager to see what solution they will find.

https://h5.newsbreakapp.com/mp/0reQz1B ... isFollow=0
Beef Supreme

Re: I agree with Chuck on this one..

Post by Beef Supreme »

I hope they do address it, but I’m not going to hold my breath.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm in agreement. we had a recent game where neither team could hit shit - and i think they were a combined 5 of 32 from deep to start the game. absolute yuck. that's 27 clankers to endure. and it's become so normalized that we've seen multiple situations with our team in which we needed ONE point to win a game, but instead we tossed up a clanker from deep. because... um.... threes.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Conclusion: Steph Curry ruined basketball.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:26 pm Conclusion: Steph Curry ruined basketball.
Old school basketball has proven to be inferior.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:31 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:26 pm Conclusion: Steph Curry ruined basketball.
Mathematically, yes. With the rules called as they are today, anyway.

40% on 3 beats 50% on 2.

- Isaac Asimov
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Agreed, this game sucks. The league made defense illegal. Have to do something to allow it to be played again.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

When the USA gets the shit kicked out of them in the next Olympics, maybe that will be the wake up call needed that the NBA is destroying the great game of basketball.
Let's get Tropical
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A wise basketball Froob once said defensive players should have a right to exist.

- Isaac Asimov
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Wolves are not built for this style of reffed basketball it will fuck them over in the playoffs.
BBG

Post by BBG »

💯
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

PanicWolf wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:47 pm Wolves are not built for this style of reffed basketball it will fuck them over in the playoffs.
Agreed.
My body, my choice.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

The Duncan bank, the dream shake, the Jordan fade, made BB a beautiful thing, the three is dull AF.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm The Duncan bank, the dream shake, the Jordan fade, made BB a beautiful thing, the three is dull AF.
And it's soo fucking protected. A player like Rudy can get hacked on 10 dunk attempts and might get the whistle 3 times. If a defender happens to graze the hair or uniform of a 3 point shooter however, it's an automatic whistle.

It feels like we're closer to hollering 'Miss It!!!' at a 3 point shooter being a penalty than we are to getting reffing where it should be.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm The Duncan bank, the dream shake, the Jordan fade, made BB a beautiful thing, the three is dull AF.
I'm trying to sing this to the tune of Hey Nineteen - you know, "the cuervo gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing, say it again."
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm
And it's soo fucking protected. A player like Rudy can get hacked on 10 dunk attempts and might get the whistle 3 times. If a defender happens to graze the hair or uniform of a 3 point shooter however, it's an automatic whistle.

It feels like we're closer to hollering 'Miss It!!!' at a 3 point shooter being a penalty than we are to getting reffing where it should be.
i'm disliking the Shai off arm push off just as much. Can you imagine how long Rudy or KAT would last if they pushed off like that on every shot attempt?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:43 pm

i'm disliking the Shai off arm push off just as much. Can you imagine how long Rudy or KAT would last if they pushed off like that on every shot attempt?
This is the point with Towns. Not that he doesn’t do the stuff he gets called for. But players do that shit across the league. Inconsistent officiating has been a problem for the NBA as long as I can remember. The “star call” has always been there, but it feels worse than ever and applied to guys who haven’t yet earned it. Why is SGA getting a star call that Anthony Edwards doesn’t get? Why does Zion Williamson get a star call that Towns doesn’t get?

I’m telling y’all if the NBA lets guys play in the postseason like they traditionally have, it bodes well for a deep playoff run for us. If they keep calling this tickytack bullshit stuff, it’s going to be a 2-and-done at best.

Towns didn’t actually play that badly yesterday. He scored 14 points in 21 minutes due to foul trouble. 14 in 21 is fine. That extrapolates to 21 points if he plays 31.5 min. That’s okay. And at least two of his fouls, while not complete phantom calls, were certainly far below the standard of “marginal contact” that was once famously applied to us.

How the NBA calls games today sucks really hard.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I love the three ball on a penetrate and kick or after a post up draws a double team and they work the ball around to the open guy who drains it. That’s good basketball.

But these guys are so good now and you can’t defend them that they just dribble a little and shoot. It’s boring as fuck. But it pays off. Why do any of that other stuff? You can’t stop guys now. Bombs away. It’s the most efficient way to do it. Why do anything else?

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

BuDG123

Re: I agree with Chuck on this one…

Post by BuDG123 »

Since December 19th of 2023, the wolves went from one of the best clutch shooting % and closing teams in the NBA to last in the league in these metrics. 7-11 in those games.. that has to be cleaned up and has a lot to do with our 3 % in those situations dropping because teams know that’s our preferred play. It works until teams sell out to stop it, and you don’t yet have end of game recognition to make the split sec decision to go for the quick 2 instead, when to call TO, when to foul, when to drive for the 3 points instead of a 35 footer..

We lead the league in D because Rudy is the anchor this year. I hope we can clean these things up. other Vets need to step up.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Someone should start a street hoops league. Not saying it should be no fouls or anything but a league designed around letting them play. Obviously the hand hitting should still be a foul. Stuff in the air still a foul. But there should be no such thing as "drawing a foul". And then when people flop, slap on a 5 minute timeout for that player.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 am Image
This isn't an age thing...I don't see how anyone can enjoy the current NBA. I'm guessing those that do are also the same people that enjoy 49-42 football games and 12-10 baseball games every game.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Dan33185 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 pm
This isn't an age thing...I don't see how anyone can enjoy the current NBA. I'm guessing those that do are also the same people that enjoy 49-42 football games and 12-10 baseball games every game.
I enjoy the NBA now, and I enjoyed it growing up in the 80s/90s as well.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:44 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 pm
I enjoy the NBA now, and I enjoyed it growing up in the 80s/90s as well.
Great, guess you're better than the rest of us.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

They need to try to implement rules that can give defenses an even ground to stand on. Especially around the three point shot. Now that they offenses have gone this far out in spreading out the defense, I don't know what it would take to bring it in a little bit.

Like handchecking is legal above the free throw line? I don't know.

I bet 85-90% of shots are constituted as a layup or a 3. The two most efficient shots in basketball
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Chuck is describing the 2024 Timberwolves right now.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:33 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:31 pm
Mathematically, yes. With the rules called as they are today, anyway.

40% on 3 beats 50% on 2.
It’s the same with baseball. Strikeouts are way up because everyone is swinging for the fences. Bunting has become extinct.
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

The Duncan bank was extremely dull.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

This just further emphasizes that the teams who make defense a focal point will have success in the NBA.

Wolves are laying the foundation to bringing back good honest basketball.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan