Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Cousins contract and QB decision prediction thread

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Cousins contract and QB decision prediction thread

Post by hategreenticemase »

I'm not big on predictions. But the word BOLD being dramatically overused around this place lately has me feeling BOLD. :lol:

Predict:

1. Will cousins be resigned.
2. A If yes, what contract
B if no what bridge guy they go get?
3. Will we draft a QB in first round.

After hearing some of their comments today from KOC and management, I'm going to go on record strongly saying cousins will definitely be resigned, I think it will be a more reasonable contract than what we would have even hoped for - maybe something like that 2 year 70 with 50 guaranteed that was floated.

Lastly, I predict we will NOT draft a QB in first round, and think there's a chance there won't be one drafted at all by the organization.

PS I predict this place will go ape shit. So I am officially rooting for me to be correct. 8-)
Gordonbombay

Re: Cousins contract and QB decision prediction thread

Post by Gordonbombay »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm I'm not big on predictions. But the word BOLD being dramatically overused around this place lately has me feeling BOLD. :lol:

Predict:

After hearing some of their comments today from KOC and management, I'm going to go on record strongly saying cousins will definitely be resigned, I think it will be a more reasonable contract than what we would have even hoped for - maybe something like that 2 year 70 with 50 guaranteed that was floated.

Lastly, I predict we will NOT draft a QB in first round, and think there's a chance there won't be one drafted at all by the organization.

PS I predict this place will go ape shit. So I am officially rooting for me to be correct. 8-)
Gut tells me Kirk is gone. He’s trying to create a market for himself with the workout clips. I think we draft JJ at 11 and resign Mullins to be the bridge QB. Not what I want but what I anticipate to happen.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:07 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm I'm not big on predictions. But the word BOLD being dramatically overused around this place lately has me feeling BOLD. :lol:

Predict:

Gut tells me Kirk is gone. He’s trying to create a market for himself with the workout clips. I think we draft JJ at 11 and resign Mullins to be the bridge QB. Not what I want but what I anticipate to happen.
I'd actually really like that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Predict:

What should happen?

Cousins gone
Bridge guy? Wilson, JimmyG, Tyrod Taylor (professional bridge QB)
Yes, JJ McCarthy with a small trade up. (Fields goes to Atlanta)

What will happen?
Cousins is resigned
3/$155M with $350M guaranteed. They guarantee the void years dead cap as well.
Trade down with the Lions to the late first round and pick up an extra 5th.

Vikings go 8-9.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:10 pm

Predict:

so do I.

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

We just hired Josh McCown as our new QB coach.

Interesting.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:39 pm We just hired Josh McCown as our new QB coach.

Interesting.
What in particular is interesting about it?
hategreenticemase

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:12 pm

Predict:

What should happen?

Cousins gone
Bridge guy? Wilson, JimmyG, Tyrod Taylor (professional bridge QB)
Yes, JJ McCarthy with a small trade up. (Fields goes to Atlanta)

What will happen?
Cousins is resigned
3/$155M with $350M guaranteed. They guarantee the void years dead cap as well.
Trade down with the Lions to the late first round and pick up an extra 5th.

Vikings go 8-9.
I thought you had gotten over your hard on for Cousins. :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

so do I.
You would like a 2-3 win season?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:33 pm

so do I.
You have a very very firm line on what you’re willing to pay Cousins, and you like McCarthy.

If they smartly walk away and let another team give him a big deal, and we can get McCarthy without having to give up any assets…then what are you not happy about?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:39 pm

so do I.
You have a very very firm line on what you’re willing to pay Cousins, and you like McCarthy.

If they smartly walk away and let another team give him a big deal, and we can get McCarthy without having to give up any assets…then what are you not happy about?
Nick Mullens as the bridge QB. Even if Atlanta goes with Fields or Wilson, Oakland and Denver will be major candidates to move up ahead of us for a QB, and all 4 QBs could be gone by #8.

The timing of this type of decision could be that we have Nick Mullens or Jaren Hall at the top of the QB depth chart and miss out drafting a QB. It is a very possible outcome.

They need to lock in the bridge QB whether it is Cousins or someone else. Then they have the flexibility in the draft to trade up because it will not be a situation like Carolina's. In fact, the only way I would even consider moving up in this draft and sending away future draft picks is if we have Cousins or WIlson and a solid chance of going 8-9 in 2024.

Can you imagine what the Panthers fans are thinking? They could have had Caleb Williams.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:49 pm

Nick Mullens as the bridge QB. Even if Atlanta goes with Fields or Wilson, Oakland and Denver will be major candidates to move up ahead of us for a QB, and all 4 QBs could be gone by #8.

The timing of this type of decision could be that we have Nick Mullens or Jaren Hall at the top of the QB depth chart and miss out drafting a QB. It is a very possible outcome.

They need to lock in the bridge QB whether it is Cousins or someone else. Then they have the flexibility in the draft to trade up because it will not be a situation like Carolina's. In fact, the only way I would even consider moving up in this draft and sending away future draft picks is if we have Cousins or WIlson and a solid chance of going 8-9 in 2024.

Can you imagine what the Panthers fans are thinking? They could have had Caleb Williams.
mccarthy could've been the caleb williams of the 2025 draft. it's more important to get him than worrying about a bridge QB imo. trade up if you have to--but draft a QB that could be a franchise one in this draft. 8-9 next year and there is going to be a coach and a GM on the hot seat if there's no hope with a potential franchise QB.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

also very doubtful that if the panthers didn't move up in the draft and went with the red rifle they'd have the #1 pick in the draft this year. the smart thinking panthers fans know that.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:49 pm

Then just say you don’t want to play in hypotheticals if you don’t believe it’s possible.
It was a very simple question though.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:05 pm also very doubtful that if the panthers didn't move up in the draft and went with the red rifle they'd have the #1 pick in the draft this year. the smart thinking panthers fans know that.
Perhaps, but their team sucked ass and Andy Dalton isn't going to make a difference.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:05 pm also very doubtful that if the panthers didn't move up in the draft and went with the red rifle they'd have the #1 pick in the draft this year. the smart thinking panthers fans know that.
Perhaps, but their team sucked ass and Andy Dalton isn't going to make a difference.
probably beat the vikings.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

so do I.
If that is what helps us win a SB, then yes.

I don't really look to those 3 hours on Sunday as enjoyment in a vacuum. If going 7-10 or 8-9 is good for you, enjoy.

I've watched the Twins for the last two and a half decades. The Vikings don't need to be the same thing.

Remember all those seasons when they won the division but nobody thought they would advance anywhere in the playoffs and they didn't? Those were definitely enjoyable REGULAR seasons.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 am

so do I.

I don't really look to those 3 hours on Sunday as enjoyment in a vacuum. If going 7-10 or 8-9 is good for you, enjoy.

I've watched the Twins for the last two and a half decades. The Vikings don't need to be the same thing.

Remember all those seasons when they won the division but nobody thought they would advance anywhere in the playoffs and they didn't? Those were definitely enjoyable REGULAR seasons.
I think you have a psychological problem if you invest that much in a football game.

And tanking a season rarely works in the NFL. Most of the teams at the bottom of the league have been there a long time.

Take a team like the Washington CommanderSkins. The last time they had a winning records was 2015 when Kirk Cousins was their starting QB. SInce 2000 they have made the playoffs 5 times, once with a 7-9 record. They have had 2 10 win seasons, and two 9 win seasons in that interval. The last season they won more than 10 games was 1991 when they won the last Joe Gibbs Super Bowl. Since that win, they have had 10 seasons with 5 or fewer wins, including last year.

These stories are all the same. And I would rather watch the mediocre team on Sunday that has a chance to win than tank for a high draft pick.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:41 am

I think you have a psychological problem if you invest that much in a football game.

And tanking a season rarely works in the NFL. Most of the teams at the bottom of the league have been there a long time.

Take a team like the Washington CommanderSkins. The last time they had a winning records was 2015 when Kirk Cousins was their starting QB. SInce 2000 they have made the playoffs 5 times, once with a 7-9 record. They have had 2 10 win seasons, and two 9 win seasons in that interval. The last season they won more than 10 games was 1991 when they won the last Joe Gibbs Super Bowl. Since that win, they have had 10 seasons with 5 or fewer wins, including last year.

These stories are all the same. And I would rather watch the mediocre team on Sunday that has a chance to win than tank for a high draft pick.
On the contrary. I invest very little. You want to enjoy the regular season. I don't care about enjoying regular seasons if they are not part of a long term plan. If the team is going to win 7 and not make the playoffs, then I'll just check out. I'll watch the games but why care about medicority?

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am

On the contrary. I invest very little. You want to enjoy the regular season. I don't care about enjoying regular seasons if they are not part of a long term plan. If the team is going to win 7 and not make the playoffs, then I'll just check out. I'll watch the games but why care about medicority?
Exactly. Bad teams make you check out. Bad runs drives franchises into the dust. But I certainly would not trade watching Randy Moss, Cris Carter adn Duante Culpepper, or Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. AS I have pointed ou tnumerous times, consistent winning in the NFL devolves into having one of the top 3-4 QBs in the league: Brady, Roehtlisberger, Manning, Manning, Favre, Rodgers, Brees. Now it is Mahomes who has led the Chiefs to 6 consecutive AFC Championship games, 4 Super Bowls, and 3 Super Bowl titles.

Go look at the AFC and NFC championship games, cross out the games involving one of those QBs. Not many are left. In the AFC since 2001 Brady's first championship there has been exactly ONE game that did not have at least one of Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, or Mahomes. Nine times since 2001 the AFC Championship game has had TWO of those QBs.

Ill take football for entertainment.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:55 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am

Exactly. Bad teams make you check out. Bad runs drives franchises into the dust. But I certainly would not trade watching Randy Moss, Cris Carter adn Duante Culpepper, or Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. AS I have pointed ou tnumerous times, consistent winning in the NFL devolves into having one of the top 3-4 QBs in the league: Brady, Roehtlisberger, Manning, Manning, Favre, Rodgers, Brees. Now it is Mahomes who has led the Chiefs to 6 consecutive AFC Championship games, 4 Super Bowls, and 3 Super Bowl titles.

Go look at the AFC and NFC championship games, cross out the games involving one of those QBs. Not many are left. In the AFC since 2001 Brady's first championship there has been exactly ONE game that did not have at least one of Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, or Mahomes. Nine times since 2001 the AFC Championship game has had TWO of those QBs.

Ill take football for entertainment.
Enjoy.

I think a 7-10 is a bad team. You can celebrate it.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll take a QB change for my entertainment. this idea that fans aren't going to watch a three win team is silly as well. it's all "entertainment" until you're playing in a nfccg for a SB berth. then it gets to be exciting as hell "entertainment". one of the biggest hits for the NFL is draft weekend. that's your pay off for getting a three win season.

signing kirk and not taking a chance with one of these four QBs isn't moving the franchise forward imo. it's status quo on a situation that holds out little hope for a nfccg. start building for something different and see if you can get it done. why fire spieldope if this is what you're going to do? asking for Sergeant Rubetube.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am i'll take a QB change for my entertainment. this idea that fans aren't going to watch a three win team is silly as well. it's all "entertainment" until you're playing in a nfccg for a SB berth. then it gets to be exciting as hell "entertainment". one of the biggest hits for the NFL is draft weekend. that's your pay off for getting a three win season.

signing kirk and not taking a chance with one of these four QBs isn't moving the franchise forward imo. it's status quo on a situation that holds out little hope for a nfccg. start building for something different and see if you can get it done. why fire spieldope if this is what you're going to do? asking for Sergeant Rubetube.
Sure. But like I said, for most teams in the NFL playing for a SB berth is a once in a while prospect unless you have the generational QBs that are very scarce in the NFL.

While many things are normally distributed, football talent is not. There are just a few truly elite players. THere are a lot more good players. There are even more average players. There are thousands of replacement level players. There are tens of thousands of fringe players. There are hundreds, if not millions of HS level players. There are BILLIONS of "players" who would trip running out on the field for introductions.

Im not going to give up my enjoyment of the sport waiting until we have the next Patrick Mahomes.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:30 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am i'll take a QB change for my entertainment. this idea that fans aren't going to watch a three win team is silly as well. it's all "entertainment" until you're playing in a nfccg for a SB berth. then it gets to be exciting as hell "entertainment". one of the biggest hits for the NFL is draft weekend. that's your pay off for getting a three win season.

Sure. But like I said, for most teams in the NFL playing for a SB berth is a once in a while prospect unless you have the generational QBs that are very scarce in the NFL.

While many things are normally distributed, football talent is not. There are just a few truly elite players. THere are a lot more good players. There are even more average players. There are thousands of replacement level players. There are tens of thousands of fringe players. There are hundreds, if not millions of HS level players. There are BILLIONS of "players" who would trip running out on the field for introductions.

Im not going to give up my enjoyment of the sport waiting until we have the next Patrick Mahomes.
i watched every game during the les steckel season. i bet you did too. brock purdy got his team to the SB this year. a second round QB got his team to the SB the year before. both teams had the lead in the game and coulda, woulda, shoulda won. i just don't think the status quo is going to cut it in a division that is on the upswing. i looked at the tea leaves--and it sure looked like this is the year for a vikings reset with a new QB to be competitive in it in the next 3-4 seasons. i'd rather see them take a stab with bo nix or penix than to go with cousins.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Can we all remember that the original premise of this was that Cousins walks and we get JJ McCarthy at 11, w/out having to give up any additional assets.
Based on what I feel I know about everyone's preferences, I don't think anyone in this conversation would consider that a bad thing...whether you believe its possible or not.

Now perhaps you can bicker about the choice of bridge QB and what you could expect out of the 2024 season, but let's not lose sight of the fact that getting Cousins off of our books long term and getting a viable QB of the future without having to give up anything, is a universal positive.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 am Can we all remember that the original premise of this was that Cousins walks and we get JJ McCarthy at 11, w/out having to give up any additional assets.
Based on what I feel I know about everyone's preferences, I don't think anyone in this conversation would consider that a bad thing...whether you believe its possible or not.

Now perhaps you can bicker about the choice of bridge QB and what you could expect out of the 2024 season, but let's not lose sight of the fact that getting Cousins off of our books long term and getting a viable QB of the future without having to give up anything, is a universal positive.
Ah, the original premise was predicting what happens with Cousins and on if we draft a qb in first. I know because it was my dumbass who made the damn thread. :lol:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 am Can we all remember that the original premise of this was that Cousins walks and we get JJ McCarthy at 11, w/out having to give up any additional assets.

Ah, the original premise was predicting what happens with Cousins and on if we draft a qb in first. I know because it was my dumbass who made the damn thread. :lol:
The original premise of this side argument.
How's that?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 am

The original premise of this side argument.
How's that?
Well your point on the asinine off track nonsense wasn't lost on me, so ya. :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i like the premise. i don't like the original prediction. the only thing i'd add to that is i hope the OP is wrong. now can we get back to finding out if mlhouse watched all the games during the les steckel season? that'd be kind of interesting to know, no?
j-one

Post by j-one »

Vikings, 2 years $80M, mostly guaranteed
(Unless Kwesi can pull off a pre-free agency trade up into top 3)