Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Combine 2024***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Re: ***NFL Combine 2024***

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:05 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:52 am Rumors are flying that Washington wants the number one pick.
Sounds like the Bears are trying to drive up the price.
Just remember Bears...

For trading down with the Chiefs, the Bills got Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones and Siran Neal...and paired that with Josh Allen to be their QB of the future next year.

That's about as good of a job drafting as one can do in a trade down...and they still can't get past Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Quantity is not better than quality when it comes to QBs.
That little extra makes all the difference in the world.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:21 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:52 am Rumors are flying that Washington wants the number one pick.
Just remember Bears...

For trading down with the Chiefs, the Bills got Tre'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones and Siran Neal...and paired that with Josh Allen to be their QB of the future next year.

That's about as good of a job drafting as one can do in a trade down...and they still can't get past Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Quantity is not better than quality when it comes to one in a couple generations QBs.
fixed that for you.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Just remember Bears...

Quantity is not better than quality when it comes to one in a couple generations QBs.
fixed that for you.
If that's what Williams is though.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Just remember Bears...

I don't think the Bears are trading the pick anyway. Poles would have to be an idiot.

He buys himself more time with Williams. It's the safer pick. He's cheaper. It's a no brainer.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:22 pm

Just remember Bears...

I don't think the Bears are trading the pick anyway. Poles would have to be an idiot.

He buys himself more time with Williams. It's the safer pick. He's cheaper. It's a no brainer.
In theory they could trade down to #2 and let Wash get Williams, and then take the next best QB.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:24 pm

Just remember Bears...

In theory they could trade down to #2 and let Wash get Williams, and then take the next best QB.
They are already the team that passed on Mahomes. They can't be the team that passed on Williams. Even if Williams bombs, he's still the conventional wisdom.

If he goes with chalk, he might be wrong but nobody will blame him for being an idiot. He would get fired but nobody would say what was he thinking.

If he trades down, he is getting cute and if that is the case, he better be right.

And if he trades down, it would seemingly need to be for Daniels.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Just remember Bears...

fixed that for you.
If that's what Williams is though.
that's the question. even once in a generation talent would make it a mistake. once in a couple generations is a monumental blunder.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:27 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:24 pm

They are already the team that passed on Mahomes. They can't be the team that passed on Williams. Even if Williams bombs, he's still the conventional wisdom.

If he goes with chalk, he might be wrong but nobody will blame him for being an idiot. He would get fired but nobody would say what was he thinking.

If he trades down, he is getting cute and if that is the case, he better be right.

And if he trades down, it would seemingly need to be for Daniels.
I agree, but just playing within the speculation fun of "lots of teams interested in trading for the #1 pick."
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:08 pm Throwing
McCarthy
Penix
Nix
Rattler

Not throwing
Williams
Maye
Daniels

I am kinda interested to see Rattler and Nix throw.
Bummer on McCarthy. If he looks great, he will be tougher to get. If he bombs, who wants him?

witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am
witljon wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:35 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:09 pm Daniels and Williams just doing interviews. They will test out during their pro days. No word on what Maye will do and it sounds like McCarthy will throw in the combine.
I’m thinking Maye with a good showing might have the most to gain. Can he earn his way to the top spot?
I would say never. Caleb WIlliams is a playmaking QB like Mahomes that comes around at most once every five years. The value of drafting Williams to your fanbase and franchise net worth is even rarer (remember Mahomes as a college player did not have this hype).

Besides, Maye was too inconsistent of a thrower to even be considered as the top pick. I can't see a franchise picking him over Daniels myself.

There are 3 tiers at teh top of the QB board:

Tier 1 Caleb WIlliams NFL comp Patrick Mahomes
Tier 2 Jayden Daniels NFL comp Lamar Jackson
Tier 3 JJ McCarthy and Drake Maye

I have McCarthy ahead of Maye on my personal imaginary fantasy draft board. That is because McCarthy is the type of QB I want for a football team with his ability in much superior throwing mechanics, play action ability and mobility. I can see that some teams or evaluators might put Maye ahead because of his prototypical NFL QB size. So, almost a pick em but the top 2 I think cannot be argued with: just look at the comps.
Sounds like Drake Maye decided to follow Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels and not workout at the combine.
witljon

Post by witljon »

McCarthy
Penix
Nix
Rattler

Not throwing
Williams
Maye
Daniels

I suppose the top 3, Williams, Maye, and Daniels have been advised they have nothing to gain by throwing and everything to lose if Penix, McCarthy, Nix, and/or Rattler were to outperform them.
OGR

Post by OGR »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:38 pm
McCarthy
Penix
Nix
Rattler

Not throwing
Williams
Maye
Daniels

Bummer on McCarthy. If he looks great, he will be tougher to get. If he bombs, who wants him?

One of the biggest concerns with McCarthy is how he operates under pressure. In those situations, McCarthy has been known to hesitate and drop his eyes, which can get him into trouble.

His ball placement has also been off at times despite a strong offensive line and solid supporting cast.

J.J. McCarthy NFL player comparison: Chad Henne
lol
Chad Fn Henne - na I’ll pass….
witljon

Post by witljon »

OGR wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:38 pm
McCarthy
Penix
Nix
Rattler

Not throwing
Williams
Maye
Daniels

One of the biggest concerns with McCarthy is how he operates under pressure. In those situations, McCarthy has been known to hesitate and drop his eyes, which can get him into trouble.

His ball placement has also been off at times despite a strong offensive line and solid supporting cast.
While I’m not yet sold on McCarthy, I will say he looked like a pretty accurate passer to me. Where I’m hesitant on him is he didn’t do much in college. Harbaugh didn’t put much on his shoulders. He typically just handed the ball off and got out of the way. I believe I heard he only threw one touchdown pass in the month of November. I watched several Michigan games and McCarthy didn’t scream NFL star. To me, he was more of a game manager on the best team in college. I definitely do not believe Harbaugh when he said McCarthy is the best QB in the draft. Maybe his pro potential is better than I realize, but I have my doubts. I’m still going to need to be convinced on McCarthy.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

It’s happening!!!

Can assume they will interview Daniels and Maye as well.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Da Gas Man's Ghost

Kwesi sounds like Kirk is gone.

I might be reading too much into the nothing that he says but that's what it sounds like in his interview with PA.

Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:46 am Kwesi sounds like Kirk is gone.

I might be reading too much into the nothing that he says but that's what it sounds like in his interview with PA.
I hope you're right and if you listen to what he said yesterday about contract negotiations his words were more calculated and cautious with the Cousins/Hunter talks, but when it came to Jefferson he's not talking about meeting in the middle and more about whatever JJ wants, JJ will get.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Lets see if McCarthy and Maye will be reported.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:46 am Kwesi sounds like Kirk is gone.

I hope you're right and if you listen to what he said yesterday about contract negotiations his words were more calculated and cautious with the Cousins/Hunter talks, but when it came to Jefferson he's not talking about meeting in the middle and more about whatever JJ wants, JJ will get.
They really say nothing but you can get little nuggets from energy and slips.

1. They really want JJ back and have no interest in trading him. The only way a trade would happen is if they can't agree on an extension.
2. Kwesi said that from his first day, the goal was to reach the point where the window is open for a long time (that's GM speak and means nothing) but then he said that they have worked hard to get to this point. What is this point that he speaks of accomplishing? My interpretation is "free from the Kirk contract." It doesn't mean that they won't re-sign him for a sweet deal but he speaks like they had their hands tied when he arrived and they finally reached the point of some contract flexibility where Kirk doesn't hold all the cards (like he had in the past due to cap hits).

Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:02 am
Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am

They really say nothing but you can get little nuggets from energy and slips.

1. They really want JJ back and have no interest in trading him. The only way a trade would happen is if they can't agree on an extension.
2. Kwesi said that from his first day, the goal was to reach the point where the window is open for a long time (that's GM speak and means nothing) but then he said that they have worked hard to get to this point. What is this point that he speaks of accomplishing? My interpretation is "free from the Kirk contract." It doesn't mean that they won't re-sign him for a sweet deal but he speaks like they had their hands tied when he arrived and they finally reached the point of some contract flexibility where Kirk doesn't hold all the cards (like he had in the past due to cap hits).
Both the Vikings and Cousins have reason to keep tight lips. Cousins for free agency contract negotiating and the Vikings if they are trying to trade up.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beetlejuice wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:59 pm Fuck this place is dying. No combine thread after the first day. Biggest news so far is Doogie reporting that the Vikings talked to the Patriots about the third overall pick and NE said ok for 3 first rounders.

It’s Doogie though. Somebody is probably feeding him shit.
That's not a bad starting point for a negotiation to try and get a QB we really believe in.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I have been saying all along that if the Vikings really wanted to re sign Kirk Cousins they would have extended him last off season. That said, I would not be surprised if we do bring him back, but I expect him to go to the highest bidder. Bridge guy? That might depend on who we draft. If we were to draft JJ McCarthy, we might bring in someone like Russell Wilson while he develops for a year or two. If we were to draft Penix or Nix, we might throw em out there right away as rookies if we don’t get a deal done with Cousins. Can the Vikings and Cousins work out a deal where both parties are happy? :thinking: I don’t think so, but who knows?
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beetlejuice wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am
That's interesting. Potential late 1st round to 2nd round pick. Really good chance he's not there for us unless we trade down.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
witljon

Post by witljon »

JJ McCarthy will throw Saturday at the combine.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Wood.

Da Gas Man's Ghost

salamander wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:29 am
That's interesting. Potential late 1st round to 2nd round pick. Really good chance he's not there for us unless we trade down.
Trade down with Detroit in play?

witljon

Post by witljon »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 pm Trade down with Detroit in play?
Kwesi learnt his lesson……I hope.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 pm
Wood.
I wouldn't take him before RD4 for us
Still a WOOD, but I wouldn't overpay for him.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:24 pm
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 pm
Wood.
I wouldn't take him before RD4 for us
Still a WOOD, but I wouldn't overpay for him.
You misunderstand. His last name is wood.