Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Plan B option?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Plan B option?

Post by hategreenticemase »

If Cousins plays hard ball and right move is to tell him to go F himself, what are your thoughts on signing Russell Wilson for a similar two year deal and still try drafting JJ to red shirt for two seasons and take over in 26?

My assumption is he can be gotten cheaply? Obviously Cousins if healthy is much better, but the price difference should be huge shouldnt it? What would it cost to sign him?
witljon

Re: Plan B option?

Post by witljon »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:14 am If Cousins plays hard ball and right move is to tell him to go F himself, what are your thoughts on signing Russell Wilson for a similar two year deal and still try drafting JJ to red shirt for two seasons and take over in 26?

My assumption is he can be gotten cheaply? Obviously Cousins if healthy is much better, but the price difference should be huge shouldnt it? What would it cost to sign him?
I don’t blame Cousins for going to the highest bidder. I have no problem with signing Wilson because he should be much cheaper. And I’m still going to need to be convinced on JJ McCarthy.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Is Wilson going to sign for the minimum?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:42 am Is Wilson going to sign for the minimum?
I’d say probably, because he will still be getting paid from the Broncos
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:14 am If Cousins plays hard ball and right move is to tell him to go F himself, what are your thoughts on signing Russell Wilson for a similar two year deal and still try drafting JJ to red shirt for two seasons and take over in 26?

Really, hates?

You couldn't put this in the "Is Cousins on his way out of Minnesota?" thread?

"Look at me! Look at me!"

:lol:

Chuck, please merge these threads.

Thx in advance.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Wasn't this discussed to death like a month or two ago?

I thought there was something weird with his contract.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
witljon

Post by witljon »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:09 am Wasn't this discussed to death like a month or two ago?

So, what was the plan B discussion?
salamander

Post by salamander »

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:12 am
salamander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:09 am Wasn't this discussed to death like a month or two ago?

He started this exact thread like a month and a half ago.

Thread title:
"Would Russel Wilson be a 3rd option"
viewtopic.php?t=78286&hilit=Wilson&sid= ... de269a0c26

This has also been discussed across several other threads the last month+ quite a bit.
Last edited by salamander on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
hategreenticemase

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:44 am

Thread title:

This has been discussed across several other threads the last month+ quite a bit.
That's funny, I legitimately forgot that. :lol:

My bad, altho part of the point of this one is the "still drafting JJ to be mentored by an experienced top QB". So at least I had some reason behind it.

But my apologies, shouldn't have started this one.
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:53 am

Thread title:

This has been discussed across several other threads the last month+ quite a bit.

My bad, altho part of the point of this one is the "still drafting JJ to be mentored by an experienced top QB". So at least I had some reason behind it.

As for the content. I would not be opposed to Russell Wilson.
hategreenticemase

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:56 am

Thread title:

My level of intrigue would be directly proportional to the amount less than Cousins that RW would cost would be AND a requirement of mine to move this direction would be we have to draft the replacement this year and start the clock on that process. Can't do one without the other.

Part of me strongly feels the guy is clearly cooked, but maybe KOC could resurrect something in him? I don't know. Is downfield arm strength would certainly be a big downgrade. That would be a problem in this offense.

But if he would only cost 20M, it's intriguing. But may be way off on what he gets also.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The thing for me with Wilson is the locker room/leadership fit.
He wore out his welcome in Sea, and Den was an absolute shit show.

If what people are saying about him is true, then I don't want anything to do with him, even on a vet minimum deal.
Just sign Minshew or Heinicke at that point then.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Fuck no.

Maker Bayfield, Minshew... maybe. Hell no to Wilson.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

My level of intrigue would be directly proportional to the amount less than Cousins that RW would cost would be AND a requirement of mine to move this direction would be we have to draft the replacement this year and start the clock on that process. Can't do one without the other.

Part of me strongly feels the guy is clearly cooked, but maybe KOC could resurrect something in him? I don't know. Is downfield arm strength would certainly be a big downgrade. That would be a problem in this offense.

But if he would only cost 20M, it's intriguing. But may be way off on what he gets also.
100% If Wilson costs the same as Cousins I'd rather have cousins. Continuity is a big thing.

Wilson actually played a lot better than people realize last year. He started the year with 4/5 games over 100 passer rating.
There were a couple really bad duds in there for sure.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Why bother signing Wilson or Cousins if they lose Hunter? People always talk doom about QB, but losing Hunter pretty much makes this defense bottom 5 in terms of talent.

Flores can only do so much.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beetlejuice wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:35 am Why bother signing Wilson or Cousins if they lose Hunter? People always talk doom about QB, but losing Hunter pretty much makes this defense bottom 5 in terms of talent.

There's comparable defensive free agents available.
They could lose Hunter, but then turn around and sign Christian Wilkins or Justin Madabuike.
Heck, they could afford to sign both of them if they lose Hunter.
Or one of them, plus a Patrick Queen or Jaylon Johnson.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:42 am
Beetlejuice wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:35 am Why bother signing Wilson or Cousins if they lose Hunter? People always talk doom about QB, but losing Hunter pretty much makes this defense bottom 5 in terms of talent.

They could lose Hunter, but then turn around and sign Christian Wilkins or Justin Madabuike.
If all that set up like you mentioned as a possibility, then yeah it wouldn't hurt as bad to lose Hunter. I just don't see this GM getting that all done though, and out-bidding other teams for those players and convince them to come aboard. I think Beetle is right, losing Hunter would be a significant blow, no matter who our QB is. We would be very thin on the edge, also Davenport either departs or stays....which likely would be the same result.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 pm

If all that set up like you mentioned as a possibility, then yeah it wouldn't hurt as bad to lose Hunter. I just don't see this GM getting that all done though, and outbidding other teams for those players and convince them to come aboard. I think Beetle is right, losing Hunter would be a significant blow, no matter who our QB is.
The comment was definitely meant in a vacuum, without any of those other outside variables that affect these decisions.
I was just pointing out that it was there though.

There's something to be said as well, for if we do lose Hunter and Cousins, to just do nothing in free agency this year to ensure we get the two 3rd rd comp picks next year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Fair point and why it's a no brainer to sign him. If you didn't, a case can be made to reset a year, I'd agree with you. But it will never happen.
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:22 pm

If all that set up like you mentioned as a possibility, then yeah it wouldn't hurt as bad to lose Hunter. I just don't see this GM getting that all done though, and outbidding other teams for those players and convince them to come aboard. I think Beetle is right, losing Hunter would be a significant blow, no matter who our QB is.
The comment was definitely meant in a vacuum, without any of those other outside variables that affect these decisions.

There's something to be said as well, for if we do lose Hunter and Cousins, to just do nothing in free agency this year to ensure we get the two 3rd rd comp picks next year.
Yes, and sell out to go get a top 3 QB. Then use cap space to front load extensions to JJ and Darrisaw to then really have cap space next few years and then next year, when we don't have picks ammo due to trade up, use free agency to buttress the defense.
hategreenticemase

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:57 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

100% If Wilson costs the same as Cousins I'd rather have cousins. Continuity is a big thing.

Wilson actually played a lot better than people realize last year. He started the year with 4/5 games over 100 passer rating.
There were a couple really bad duds in there for sure.
Yeah no question cousins way better (assuming health). I still think cousins signs a reasonable contract. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that's my gut. If he won't, I'm ok moving on.

Another part that's harder to quantify is Payton have an informed from day one and wanted nothing to do with them. That certainly has to be a factor. But they're also could be a lot to the perception that Wilson is a prima donna and just a bitch too. So who knows to blame.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:58 pm

Yes, and sell out to go get a top 3 QB. Then use cap space to front load extensions to JJ and Darrisaw to then really have cap space next few years and then next year, when we don't have picks ammo due to trade up, use free agency to buttress the defense.
If we did that, I'd also think about trading some of our remaining picks this year for picks in next year's draft.
We may not have a 1st and 2nd next year, but we could have five 3rds.
You have enough ammo then that you could trade up if a singular player you love falls into the mid 2nd.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

This is actually my ideal option even if Kirk doesn't play hardball. We don't need to redshirt JJ for two but at least one. Wilson, by all accounts, will come cheap and he will have some great weapons here.

Price difference is so huge and I don't think Russell is as bad as he has been. He fell off there but he was great for a while.

Also, as much as I can't tolerate the douche, he would be our douche.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 am

I don’t blame Cousins for going to the highest bidder. I have no problem with signing Wilson because he should be much cheaper. And I’m still going to need to be convinced on JJ McCarthy.
Combines?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thread title:

There’s no need to apologize, but your politeness has been noted.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am The thing for me with Wilson is the locker room/leadership fit.

If what people are saying about him is true, then I don't want anything to do with him, even on a vet minimum deal.
Just what are people saying about Russell Wilson that’s so bad?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:58 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am The thing for me with Wilson is the locker room/leadership fit.

Just what are people saying about Russell Wilson that’s so bad?
Just some examples but alot of other stories out there...

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/kj- ... ks-broncos

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-ru ... s-panthers

Some vagueness and nothing per se about him being a bad person, but questions about his leadership and efficacy as a teammate, which is extra scrutinized when you're the QB.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Those 3rd's would come in handy, and I'm big on picks (when we have a trustworthy GM). But I can't see them not signing a couple vets that would nullify those comps next year, if we hypothetically lose both guys.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:59 pm

Those 3rd's would come in handy, and I'm big on picks (when we have a trustworthy GM). But I can't see them not signing a couple vets that would nullify those comps next year, if we hypothetically lose both guys.
Doesn't that kinda contradict what you said before though, abotu not having faith in Kwesi being able to sell other free agents on coming here if we happen to lose both of Cousins and Hunter?

That could be true actually.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Thread title:

There’s no need to apologize, but your politeness has been noted.
Its ironic that it turned into a talker in spite of it. :lol: