Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gopher asst. Kimani Young leaves for UConn

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Gopher asst. Kimani Young leaves for UConn

Post by Ask Not »

Is it the beginning of the end for young Richard?
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Gopher asst. Kimani Young leaves for UConn

Post by HeHateMe »

I think Kimani has more job security at UConn now... and he's closer to home. That's for sure.

Some rumors out there Pitino might hire Dave Thorson... I think that would be a great hire. Recruit well locally and you'll do fine here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Thorson would be great to bring in. I just had to look it up though, I thought he got the Drake job when Medved left. Guess not. Could be interesting to see how it plays out with Thorson. Will DLS try to get him back? I can't see them thinking they need to replace Bledsoe after one year, but you never know.

Would it help the Gophers get Tyrell Terry if they bring Thorson in? I don't see how it could hurt.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 pm Thorson would be great to bring in. I just had to look it up though, I thought he got the Drake job when Medved left. Guess not. Could be interesting to see how it plays out with Thorson. Will DLS try to get him back? I can't see them thinking they need to replace Bledsoe after one year, but you never know.

Would it help the Gophers get Tyrell Terry if they bring Thorson in? I don't see how it could hurt.
Pitino needs to offer Terry... I get that he's not this athletic, quick guard Pitino seems to desire but if he's a good floor general and can shoot, signme up.

On Thorson, I think his options are follow Medved to Colorado St. or I'm not really sure. By all accounts I think he is heading there unless maybe something turns up here? I doubt he goes back to De La Salle immediately. Drake hired Darian DeVries, former Creighton assistant.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm
cmd24 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 pm Thorson would be great to bring in. I just had to look it up though, I thought he got the Drake job when Medved left. Guess not. Could be interesting to see how it plays out with Thorson. Will DLS try to get him back? I can't see them thinking they need to replace Bledsoe after one year, but you never know.

Pitino needs to offer Terry... I get that he's not this athletic, quick guard Pitino seems to desire but if he's a good floor general and can shoot, signme up.

On Thorson, I think his options are follow Medved to Colorado St. or I'm not really sure. By all accounts I think he is heading there unless maybe something turns up here? I doubt he goes back to De La Salle immediately. Drake hired Darian DeVries, former Creighton assistant.
I'm not sure what the hold up is on Terry. He's got some big offers already, so I'm afraid they've missed his window, to be honest. Hope I'm wrong. I know I should get over it, but god damn would Jarvis Johnson look good running the point for this team now.

Maybe I should use my position on our school board to hire Thorson here at our high school! :lol:
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Style

Post by Style »

Young was our ace East recruiter. Losing him will hurt in that regard, for sure.

I haven't heard the Thorson rumors. That'd be really nice. Many of us have been preaching on these boards for quite some time to focus locally. I think a combo of him + Johnson could start to turn the tides. At least that's my hope.

Here's the reaaaaal homer take: Maybe losing Young and his Eastern US focus will help shift our recruiting focus to MN and more local recruits.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 am Young was our ace East recruiter. Losing him will hurt in that regard, for sure.

I haven't heard the Thorson rumors. That'd be really nice. Many of us have been preaching on these boards for quite some time to focus locally. I think a combo of him + Johnson could start to turn the tides. At least that's my hope.

Here's the reaaaaal homer take: Maybe losing Young and his Eastern US focus will help shift our recruiting focus to MN and more local recruits.
Young's connections out east have helped the Gophers land some guys like Washington, Harris, McBrayer.. I think he was a big part of the Dorsey recruitment and maybe Nwankwo... who never ended up here anyways. Now, Young had the Gophers in on a crap ton of big name guys.. Sid Wilson, Isaiah Whitehead, EC Matthews, etc but if you can't close the deal...

As of today, it sounds like Thorson is heading to Colorado St still -- the rumors have been out there from Ryan James and Doogie though that he's been brought up. I know some on twitter have said how about stop worrying about recruiting and more on in game coaching.. technically that was the hire Ed Conroy was supposed to help with given he's the only former head coach on staff.... if they brought McHale back now, they'd have that experience from him too.

I've long said Ben Johnson is the key assistant for Pitino, if he were to lose him, I'd assume Pitino is on the way out fairly quick. I think the Gophers staff recruits locally enough but they need to get quicker on these offers for the kids.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Latest name I read was David Padgett, former Louisville interim coach.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:04 am
Former Badger assistant.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I think this will be a good hire --has recruited a lot locally and has head coaching experience.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Great hire for Richard. I like it.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Greg Paulus potentially taking Ben Johnson's spot.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Pitino hiring an assistant from Wichita St, top recruiter...