Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Tuck ya in

***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

Post by Tuck ya in »

Justin Jefferson recently said he wants to "break the bank" with his new deal. I think most of us fans realized he was going to get a mega-deal, as expected. He's entering his final year of his rookie deal, whichever route they take, this will be a significant situation in Vikings franchise history. Personally, I would have everything on the table as far as options, and do what's for the team. Sign or trade. Recent PFT interview below:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... gs-run-out

Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson made the rounds on Wednesday, and we had a chance to make our annual pre-Super Bowl visit with one of the best receivers — if not the very best receiver — in football.

Now four years into his career, Jefferson has yet to get the second contract he so clearly deserves. The Vikings, however, have been dragging their feet. At some point, the Vikings may regret that approach.

“I’m not sure what you’ve got to do, I’m not sure how much you’ve got to put up [to get the contract],” Jefferson said, “but, I mean, I will always continue to be myself. I will always continue to play the game the way I know how to play it and I will always give my all out there on that field. I know the money is going to come. I know the contract is going to come. I’m just gonna be waiting patiently.”

Is there a point where his patience will run out?

“You know, it kind of gets frustrating at some point in time of course, just what all I have done for the organization,” Jefferson said. “I’m still early in my contract, my rookie contract, but no one has done what I’ve done before. I’m just excited to just be a part of their organization and hopefully they feel that I’m valuable enough to give me, it doesn’t matter the amount of zeros, but I just want to play football and want to be a part of the organization that, you know, values me and wants me there.”

“That’s what you’re gonna have to keep in mind,” Jefferson said. “Of course, just like I always say to everyone that asks me this question when you’re going out shopping for a car, you try to pay at least as possible even though you know that it’s an expensive car. But you’re gonna try to get it all. So I know that it’s a business. I know that, you know, they have money in their pockets that they’re trying to keep. But I know the value that I have. I know what I bring to the table for this team, and I know the value that I have every time I step foot on that field. So, I have faith in my circle, the people that I have talking for me and in the conversation with the contract. But, you know, I’m just gonna let it play its course and still continue doing what I’m doing.”

Jefferson is being pragmatic, which is good. But the Vikings should be pragmatic, too. This isn’t a guy you’re looking to sign in free agency to fill a need for a year or two. This is a face-of-the-franchise, foundational player. Exceptions must be made, specifically as to the team’s “rule” that full guarantees will apply only to the year in which the contract is signed.

They’ve made that exception for quarterback Kirk Cousins. If they want to keep Jefferson — and if they want to keep him happy — they MUST make it for him, too.

It won’t set a bad precedent or put the team on a slippery slope. If other agents try to get the same structure, the response is simple: When your guy plays like Justin Jefferson, we will.

Pay close attention to this one, Vikings fans. Your team is inching closer and closer to screwing the pooch. If they do, hold them accountable.

Jefferson is ready and willing to sign the contract he deserves. The only question is whether ownership is willing to do the right thing.

Unless, of course, they’re planning to trade him in order to get in position to draft a franchise quarterback. While a plausible strategy on the surface, good luck getting the people who buy tickets and jerseys and overpriced foodstuffs to accept saying farewell, again, to a great receiver.

Everyone knows Jefferson’s value. It’s time for the Vikings to acknowledge it, and to do something about it. Especially since it’s only going to get more expensive, the longer the team waits.

As it always does.
Dr. Linux

Re: ***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

Post by Dr. Linux »

oh my!
-

Got Root?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Not that I want it to get to that point but, I could see the Chargers making a very attractive partner.
We'd definitely get their #5 pick this year + whatever else additional would be needed, and we could then use that to take Malik Nabers as a replacement.

Addison, Nabers, Hock is a pretty great unit to give to a rookie QB.

I'm just bored at work though, so don't read too much into this.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

When you hear stuff like this it makes you think. Is there that much of a dropoff between the #1 overall WR and finding someone who can be a top 15 guy? (#15 Davante Adams, #14 Michael Pittman Jr., #13 Stephan Diggs, #12 Ja'Marr Chase)

I want JJ but it makes you 2nd guess.

Would the Bears be willing to give up both their picks for JJ and our #11 (probably would include some other picks swaps in there somewhere)? We could take Marvin Harrison Jr. & a QB at #9. Or just take our QB of choice at #1 and a great player at #9.

Not saying this is going to happen or even if it's a good idea. Just musing.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:17 pm When you hear stuff like this it makes you think. Is there that much of a dropoff between the #1 overall WR and finding someone who can be a top 15 guy? (#15 Davante Adams, #14 Michael Pittman Jr., #13 Stephan Diggs, #12 Ja'Marr Chase)

Would the Bears be willing to give up both their picks for JJ and our #11 (probably would include some other picks swaps in there somewhere)? We could take Marvin Harrison Jr. & a QB at #9. Or just take our QB of choice at #1 and a great player at #9.

You don't want to get too cute cuz you could be wrong.

*The Eagles could have had DK Metcalf and Justin Jefferson but instead drafted JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Jalen Reagor.
*The Titans traded away AJ Brown and busted on the replacement pick of Treylon Burks

Specifically why I only brought up the Chargers, and not just any random team.
There's always risk, but I think Nabers specifically is pretty damn good too.

But conversely, there's also risk in going into the mid 30s per year on a WR.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

#15 davante adams? i read an article the other day that proclaimed him the "best receiver in the NFL."
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

I love him, but trade him. Especially if you can get the correct compensation for him, omit the burden of the contract as well.

I have seen this story before. Many times, actually. Minnesota has always had plenty of shiny toys. Hall of Fame running backs and receivers galore. And it has manifested into nothing. Have we not learned our lesson about paying non-QB's ridiculous contracts? And we always seem to have the best one in the league, making it worse.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
salamander

Post by salamander »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:26 pm #15 davante adams? i read an article the other day that proclaimed him the "best receiver in the NFL."
That's mostly due to bad QB play I think.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:24 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:17 pm When you hear stuff like this it makes you think. Is there that much of a dropoff between the #1 overall WR and finding someone who can be a top 15 guy? (#15 Davante Adams, #14 Michael Pittman Jr., #13 Stephan Diggs, #12 Ja'Marr Chase)

You don't want to get too cute cuz you could be wrong.

*The Eagles could have had DK Metcalf and Justin Jefferson but instead drafted JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Jalen Reagor.
*The Titans traded away AJ Brown and busted on the replacement pick of Treylon Burks

Specifically why I only brought up the Chargers, and not just any random team.
There's always risk, but I think Nabers specifically is pretty damn good too.

But conversely, there's also risk in going into the mid 30s per year on a WR.
Yeah, you're definitely not wrong. Trading Diggs and getting JJ likely isn't going to happen a 2nd time around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Pay the man, hope Hock gets back, we know Addison can ball, roll the dice on a cheap rookie QB to offset the massive cost of JJ and Hock and pray you choose wisely.
Last edited by Moses Scurry on Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Trade his ass.

It's not only the Vikings fault here.

While I love JJ, there is plenty of reason to argue that a premier, elite WR can't really move the needle enough. Certainly significant but they won games without him and lost more games with him. Yes, different quality of opponents.

I'm just saying that if they could acquire some really good assets in return - and it would need to be really good like the kind that could get you a franchise QB - then fine by me.

Paying him top dollar - which is what it would require - is not the best situation.

Bottom line: if they can get enough, trade him. If they can't, keep the best WR in football.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:17 pm Pay the man, hope Hock gets back, we know Addison can ball, roll the dice on a cheap rookie QB to offset the massive cost of JJ and Hock and pray you choose wisely.
That should be the slogan for MN sports:

Hope and pray.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Before we do get too far down the "good teams don't pay WRs" rabbit hole, I want to post this again...

Re: What’s it gonna cost to keep Jefferson?
Post by Oriole81 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 pm

Regarding the statement that good teams don't pay big money to WRs, I took it upon myself to do some research.
Here are the WR breakdowns for the most recent SB winning teams that do not have an elite QB...

2021 Rams
Tyler Higbee #4 salary cap hit on team
Cooper Kupp #7 on team

2017 Eagles
Alshon Jeffery #3 on team

2015 Broncos
Demaryius Thomas #1 on team
Emmanuel Sanders #10

2012 Ravens
Anquan Boldin #5 on team

If you don't have an elite QB, you need elite offensive skill positions surrounding them.

Since I don't think you can bank on landing a Mahomes/Burrow level rookie QB, you do still need elite playmakers around them, so you don't want to totally throw away JJ either.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Trade him and move on. He's a great receiver but this team has too many needs and, like dead Gasman said, having the best WR in the league doesn't move the needle very much.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Can’t the Vikings just franchise him?
Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

This is a real test for the Vikings. JJ is super popular, especially with the kids who like to emulate his TD celebration. Probably helps to sell tickets.

BUT . . .

Are we about popularity? Or building a SB contender? No way you can justify paying a WR borderline-QB money. Especially if you end up paying Cousins 40+ million/year. Addison, Hock, and other weapons should be adequate for an "elite" QB.

Look at the Chiefs. Let Tyreek Hill take the ridiculous paycheck elsewhere . . . and followed it up with a title, and potentially another this year.

This JJ decision is becoming easier the more we hear from him.

:thinking:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, he's an absolute stud and one of the best players in the game. On the other, you can't pay him QB type money. That just won't work. What is a realistic trade for him? That bullshit from Cowherd the other day that everyone ran with for some dumb reason was beyond absurd.

They should have gotten this done last offseason. Would have probably saved a bunch of money.
Let's get Tropical
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Nightfly wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:55 pm This is a real test for the Vikings. JJ is super popular, especially with the kids who like to emulate his TD celebration. Probably helps to sell tickets.

BUT . . .

Are we about popularity? Or building a SB contender? No way you can justify paying a WR borderline-QB money. Especially if you end up paying Cousins 40+ million/year. Addison, Hock, and other weapons should be adequate for an "elite" QB.

Look at the Chiefs. Let Tyreek Hill take the ridiculous paycheck elsewhere . . . and followed it up with a title, and potentially another this year.

This JJ decision is becoming easier the more we hear from him.

:thinking:
Cousins is not Mahomes.
Not even close.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

It's a lot easier to find a really good WR than it is to get yourself a stud QB. If Qwesi has the guts to trade JJ and can get a boatload for him that would help us get that stud QB then I do it in a heartbeat.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:06 pm Not that I want it to get to that point but, I could see the Chargers making a very attractive partner.
We'd definitely get their #5 pick this year + whatever else additional would be needed, and we could then use that to take Malik Nabers as a replacement.

Addison, Nabers, Hock is a pretty great unit to give to a rookie QB.

I'm just bored at work though, so don't read too much into this.
I would be in on this hypothetical package from the Chargers that includes that pick. Nabers and additional picks to use on defense, and draft McCarthy with #11, yes please.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

That would be amazing, if the Bears were content to keep Fields, and would do that trade, albeit unlikely and with in the division. 100% yes please.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:37 pm I love him, but trade him. Especially if you can get the correct compensation for him, omit the burden of the contract as well.

I have seen this story before. Many times, actually. Minnesota has always had plenty of shiny toys. Hall of Fame running backs and receivers galore. And it has manifested into nothing. Have we not learned our lesson about paying non-QB's ridiculous contracts? And we always seem to have the best one in the league, making it worse.
Kind of exactly where my opinion is on the situation. Draft your QB, and build from the trenches out.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm Trade him and move on. He's a great receiver but this team has too many needs and, like dead Gasman said, having the best WR in the league doesn't move the needle very much.
With ya, DD.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:25 pm Can’t the Vikings just franchise him?
Franchise tag is more to ensure that the owning team can't lose the player for nothing, but it's only moderately effective in actually forcing the player to play.
Because of our ability to use the tag, we technically still have team control over Jefferson for 3 more years, so the tag is effective in that capacity.

However, Jefferson is a good enough player, and he has enough money on the line, that he would just decide to hold out.
But if there's never going to be potential for us to see eye and eye on price/terms, then it doesn't serve anybody to actually have a long holdout.

Just take the best deal, which would still be substantial, and let him get his money elsewhere.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

His final year of his rookie deal this season he will make $19.74 million, which is also the franchise tag amount for receivers in 2024. Not sure what he would be at next season if he was tagged, but it would tick him off a bit, and likely make his eventual long-term deal even much higher. I would trade him now while his value is high, and not get too cute.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 am
His final year of his rookie deal this season he will make $19.74 million, which is also the franchise tag amount for receivers in 2024. Not sure what he would be at next season if he was tagged, but it would tick him off a bit, and likely make his eventual long-term deal even much higher. I would trade him now while his value is high, and not get too cute.
Not to mention the fact that actually having a player play under the franchise tag, especially at a premium position like this, is actually horrible for your cap. You have to take the entire hit in one year, with zero ability to spread it out over multiple seasons.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
salamander

Post by salamander »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:10 pm I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, he's an absolute stud and one of the best players in the game. On the other, you can't pay him QB type money. That just won't work. What is a realistic trade for him? That bullshit from Cowherd the other day that everyone ran with for some dumb reason was beyond absurd.

They should have gotten this done last offseason. Would have probably saved a bunch of money.
1st overall pick and #9 for JJ and our 2nd?
Take Marvin Harrison Jr at #1, get our future QB at #9 and if Dallas Turner drops to #11, OHHH BOY!!

I know, I know. Not realistic but fun to think about.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:10 pm I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, he's an absolute stud and one of the best players in the game. On the other, you can't pay him QB type money. That just won't work. What is a realistic trade for him? That bullshit from Cowherd the other day that everyone ran with for some dumb reason was beyond absurd.

Take Marvin Harrison Jr at #1, get our future QB at #9 and if Dallas Turner drops to #11, OHHH BOY!!

You would take the QB at 1 there
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm

Probably. I REALLY like Marvin Harrison Jr. though. He's going to be an all time great. In 20 years, his name will be among among his fathers, Rice, Moss, Jefferson, Carter, etc.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:11 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm

Probably. I REALLY like Marvin Harrison Jr. though. He's going to be an all time great. In 20 years, his name will be among among his fathers, Rice, Moss, Jefferson, Carter, etc.
That may be true, but if the QB is really special, then you don't NEED as great of the WR.

In the JJ McCarthy thread, guys are doing some serious rationalization about the merits of taking him at 11.
I'm not saying that it's wrong, but that if I had my choice between taking a guy at the top that has a chance to be a truly great QB, or settling for the #4 QB knowing full well that I'm "overdrafting" him, then I'd take the guy I really want at #1.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo