Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
salamander

Re: ***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:11 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm

You would take the QB at 1 there
Probably. I REALLY like Marvin Harrison Jr. though. He's going to be an all time great. In 20 years, his name will be among among his fathers, Rice, Moss, Jefferson, Carter, etc.
That may be true, but if the QB is really special, then you don't NEED as great of the WR.

In the JJ McCarthy thread, guys are doing some serious rationalization about the merits of taking him at 11.
I'm not saying that it's wrong, but that if I had my choice between taking a guy at the top that has a chance to be a truly great QB, or settling for the #4 QB knowing full well that I'm "overdrafting" him, then I'd take the guy I really want at #1.
Yeah, totally agree. I would probably take Daniels if I was actually GM. Unless I'm Washington and I like what Howell showed in his first year starting.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
witljon

Post by witljon »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:10 pm I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, he's an absolute stud and one of the best players in the game. On the other, you can't pay him QB type money. That just won't work. What is a realistic trade for him? That bullshit from Cowherd the other day that everyone ran with for some dumb reason was beyond absurd.

They should have gotten this done last offseason. Would have probably saved a bunch of money.
I believe if you are going to overpay for a player, you’re better off overpaying for a good player than a bad one.
witljon

Post by witljon »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm Trade him and move on. He's a great receiver but this team has too many needs and, like dead Gasman said, having the best WR in the league doesn't move the needle very much.
I want good players on our team, not get rid of them.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:15 am
witljon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:25 pm Can’t the Vikings just franchise him?
Franchise tag is more to ensure that the owning team can't lose the player for nothing, but it's only moderately effective in actually forcing the player to play.
Because of our ability to use the tag, we technically still have team control over Jefferson for 3 more years, so the tag is effective in that capacity.

However, Jefferson is a good enough player, and he has enough money on the line, that he would just decide to hold out.
But if there's never going to be potential for us to see eye and eye on price/terms, then it doesn't serve anybody to actually have a long holdout.

Just take the best deal, which would still be substantial, and let him get his money elsewhere.
Are there any examples of franchised players holding out?
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:28 am
Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 am
witljon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:25 pm Can’t the Vikings just franchise him?
His final year of his rookie deal this season he will make $19.74 million, which is also the franchise tag amount for receivers in 2024. Not sure what he would be at next season if he was tagged, but it would tick him off a bit, and likely make his eventual long-term deal even much higher. I would trade him now while his value is high, and not get too cute.
Not to mention the fact that actually having a player play under the franchise tag, especially at a premium position like this, is actually horrible for your cap. You have to take the entire hit in one year, with zero ability to spread it out over multiple seasons.
+1
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

This is the blow out contract I would offer Justin Jefferson.

5 years $155 million with $81.5 million guaranteed at signing. This includes $42 million signing bonus, $6 million base salaries for 2024 and 2025, and $27,5 million 2025 option bonus. Guaranteed in 2026 would be $6 million base and $27.5 million option bonus.

The 2024 cap hit is $14.4 million. This contract has peak year cap hit of $39.4 million in 2027.

This is paying him as essentially the best non-QB offensive player in the NFL.
Hector

Post by Hector »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:16 pm This is the blow out contract I would offer Justin Jefferson.

5 years $155 million with $81.5 million guaranteed at signing. This includes $42 million signing bonus, $6 million base salaries for 2024 and 2025, and $27,5 million 2025 option bonus. Guaranteed in 2026 would be $6 million base and $27.5 million option bonus.

The 2024 cap hit is $14.4 million. This contract has peak year cap hit of $39.4 million in 2027.

I appreciate these break downs but for a team that hasn't crested 8th in scoring offense since Kirk has been here and now we are probably looking at a drop in ppg...I really can't make this signing make sense.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hector wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:18 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:16 pm This is the blow out contract I would offer Justin Jefferson.

I appreciate these break downs but for a team that hasn't crested 8th in scoring offense since Kirk has been here and now we are probably looking at a drop in ppg...I really can't make this signing make sense.
Then why bother to even field a team if you are not going to put a competitive one out there. Who wants this "REBUILD" that some of you seem so fascinated with.
Hector

Post by Hector »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:41 pm

Then why bother to even field a team if you are not going to put a competitive one out there. Who wants this "REBUILD" that some of you seem so fascinated with.
That's the chance you take. Last year when I floated the scenario to trade Jefferson to the Bears in a package for the 1st pick and then draft CJ Stroud, most hated it. A lot of rubes thought Bryce Young was the clear cut guy, I knew he wasn't for me.

Somehow Stroud has put up great rookie numbers with Tank Dell, Nico Collins and Dalton Schulz...I see where JJ can help a young QB, but he is never going to have the impact that a franchise QB will.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hector wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:31 pm

That's the chance you take. Last year when I floated the scenario to trade Jefferson to the Bears in a package for the 1st pick and then draft CJ Stroud, most hated it. A lot of rubes thought Bryce Young was the clear cut guy, I knew he wasn't for me.

Somehow Stroud has put up great rookie numbers with Tank Dell, Nico Collins and Dalton Schulz...I see where JJ can help a young QB, but he is never going to have the impact that a franchise QB will.
LOL.... you floated a completely speculative trade that had zero chance of happening.
Hector

Post by Hector »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 pm

LOL.... you floated a completely speculative trade that had zero chance of happening.
That's what thos board is... rubes ideas on how to make the team better. There are rubes here that think Jefferson is worth multiple first round picks. If we traded last years first, Jefferson and this years first and second, it would have been a better deal than what the Bears ended up getting (if JJ is worth multiple first rounders).
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:32 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:08 pm

That's what thos board is... rubes ideas on how to make the team better. There are rubes here that think Jefferson is worth multiple first round picks. If we traded last years first, Jefferson and this years first and second, it would have been a better deal than what the Bears ended up getting (if JJ is worth multiple first rounders).
Doubtful. We had the 23rd pick last year. Teams do not want to trade down that far plus the value of trading to an established team like the Vikings meant that the out year draft picks might be lower in the round going forward.

The Bears got the trade they wanted. THey moved down to #9 and got an extra 2023 2nd. They also got a 2024 first round pick that looked like it would be a top of the round (1-3) pick and a 2025 2nd round pick from the same lower level team, plus DJ Moore. That was the better trade.
salamander

Post by salamander »

His final year of his rookie deal this season he will make $19.74 million, which is also the franchise tag amount for receivers in 2024. Not sure what he would be at next season if he was tagged, but it would tick him off a bit, and likely make his eventual long-term deal even much higher. I would trade him now while his value is high, and not get too cute.
Not to mention the fact that actually having a player play under the franchise tag, especially at a premium position like this, is actually horrible for your cap. You have to take the entire hit in one year, with zero ability to spread it out over multiple seasons.
How is the cap hit only effecting you 1 year a bad thing?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:36 am

If you sign them to a long term extension, then you can lower the cap hit the first few years.

Let's use TJ as an example...

In 2023 he was scheduled to be paid his $9.4M 5th year option, which would have hit the salary cap fully just like a franchise tag.
You could have then franchise tagged him in 2024 for $12M, which is a lump sum $12M hit.
You could then franchise tag him again in 2025, but that's 120% of that previous $12M.

But by signing him to a long term extension...

His 2023 cap hit was lowered all the way to $4.9M.
His 2024 cap hit is $14M, but only $9.9M of that is new money, so if you wanted to you could restructure that as well and lower his 2024 cap hit.
His 2025 cap hit is $15.1M, but only $10.9M is new money, so if you wanted to you could restructure that as well and lower his 2025 cap hit.

So you get a LOT more flexibility by signing someone to a long term deal, vs playing the franchise tag game.
Now if you really don't want them long term that's one thing, but if it's only just a few million difference, then you're better off just signing them.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:55 am

If you sign them to a long term extension, then you can lower the cap hit the first few years.

In 2023 he was scheduled to be paid his $9.4M 5th year option, which would have hit the salary cap fully just like a franchise tag.
You could have then franchise tagged him in 2024 for $12M, which is a lump sum $12M hit.
You could then franchise tag him again in 2025, but that's 120% of that previous $12M.

His 2024 cap hit is $14M, but only $9.9M of that is new money, so if you wanted to you could restructure that as well and lower his 2024 cap hit.
His 2025 cap hit is $15.1M, but only $10.9M is new money, so if you wanted to you could restructure that as well and lower his 2025 cap hit.

So you get a LOT more flexibility by signing someone to a long term deal, vs playing the franchise tag game.
Now if you really don't want them long term that's one thing, but if it's only just a few million difference, then you're better off just signing them.
In your example the cap hit in 2024 is $14M & in 2025 is $15. How is that better than a one time 2023 $12M cap hit?

I'd prefer a signing over a franchise tag for sure but I'm just not a kick all the cash down the road and hope it doesn't blow up in or faces kinda guy.

For instance using your example. Pay $15.1 M in 2023, $14M in 2024 & $4.9 in 2025. Why not do that?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

In your example the cap hit in 2024 is $14M & in 2025 is $15. How is that better than a one time 2023 $12M cap hit?

I'd prefer a signing over a franchise tag for sure but I'm just not a kick all the cash down the road and hope it doesn't blow up in or faces kinda guy.

For instance using your example. Pay $15.1 M in 2023, $14M in 2024 & $4.9 in 2025. Why not do that?
You didn't take into account the lowering of the 5th year option year. They shaved $4.5M off of that.
So let's say hypothetically you waited to sign him to an extension until after his fifth year option year had paid out, your first year would be far lower than the $14M, and your 2nd year would be closer to the $14M instead of the $15.1M.

It's good to have flexibility, but Rob B does a good job though of knowing how to layer these extensions so that they're not all just stripped down in the immediate and then giant balloons in the future. I don't want that either.
That's why he didn't structure Hock's extension to have everything super deferred. He could have done 2nd year bonuses in lieu of base salary if he wanted to but he didn't because he wanted the ability to get off on Hock if he so chose, however he always has the ability to do a paper restructure on any of those base salaries if he so decides that they need the added flexibility.

But let's say you are a team that is in an immediate win now window and needs the immediate cap flexibility in order to maximize your players under contract, then just look at the Bosa contract.
His contract is 5 years $170M and supposedly resets the market for non QBs, however his cap hits are...

$11M in 2023
$14.6M in 2024
$20M in 2025
Then it balloons to $42M in 2026, but they still have the ability to restructure down his $22M base for that year.

That's crazy for a guy that routinely is in the DPOY race, and he would not have played under the tag.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

I would like to see the Vikings give JJ the massive contract he deserves.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Jacksquat

Post by Jacksquat »

Trade him. They won 1 game with him.aying this year. Yeah QB merry go round but cousins will be 40+, hockinson 15+ and JJ 30+?? I don't see how you pay 3 guys that much and be successful.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:49 am
salamander wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

You didn't take into account the lowering of the 5th year option year. They shaved $4.5M off of that.
So let's say hypothetically you waited to sign him to an extension until after his fifth year option year had paid out, your first year would be far lower than the $14M, and your 2nd year would be closer to the $14M instead of the $15.1M.

It's good to have flexibility, but Rob B does a good job though of knowing how to layer these extensions so that they're not all just stripped down in the immediate and then giant balloons in the future. I don't want that either.
That's why he didn't structure Hock's extension to have everything super deferred. He could have done 2nd year bonuses in lieu of base salary if he wanted to but he didn't because he wanted the ability to get off on Hock if he so chose, however he always has the ability to do a paper restructure on any of those base salaries if he so decides that they need the added flexibility.

But let's say you are a team that is in an immediate win now window and needs the immediate cap flexibility in order to maximize your players under contract, then just look at the Bosa contract.
His contract is 5 years $170M and supposedly resets the market for non QBs, however his cap hits are...

$11M in 2023
$14.6M in 2024
$20M in 2025
Then it balloons to $42M in 2026, but they still have the ability to restructure down his $22M base for that year.

That's crazy for a guy that routinely is in the DPOY race, and he would not have played under the tag.
OK, I think that makes sense to me.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Recent news:

Jefferson recently said he's waiting to see about our QB situation for more clarity, before signing anything. My guess is he would sign regardless, just playing the PR game at this point. However, as great as JJ is, it's an underrated how much this offense and Cousins helps JJ's production. If they can't resign Cousins, but extend JJ, it would be interesting to watch him receiving from a "bridge" type veteran and eventually a rookie QB. He would undoubtedly have a lesser role production wise and be winning less games. Time will tell.

San Francisco is in a similar 5th year situation regarding Aiyuk. When you have high priced vet's on the team, you can't afford to retain everyone. Tough decisions ahead.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... im-in-2024
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:49 am Recent news:

Jefferson recently said he's waiting to see about our QB situation for more clarity, before signing anything. My guess is he would sign regardless, just playing the PR game at this point. However, as great as JJ is, it's an underrated how much this offense and Cousins helps JJ's production. If they can't resign Cousins, but extend JJ, it would be interesting to watch him receiving from a "bridge" type veteran and eventually a rookie QB. He would undoubtedly have a lesser role production wise and be winning less games. Time will tell.

San Francisco is in a similar 5th year situation regarding Aiyuk. When you have high priced vet's on the team, you can't afford to retain everyone. Tough decisions ahead.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... im-in-2024
The nice thing is...he can't go anywhere.
It's not like with Cousins and Hunter, who literally can go sign with another team and we get nothing.
Jefferson is under team control still this year, and we have an extra two years of control with our ability to franchise him.

So him wanting "more clarity before signing anything" is a far different experience.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

With the cap now expected to be 255.4 million this season, that definitely adds to the leverage in JJ's camp. If their plan is to extend him, the longer this drags on it kind of feels like the higher the tally will be.

I mean, we all love JJ, but there's a savvy business side of building a contender too. Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap. Hopefully he put's up top 3 WR numbers with the rookie QB and beyond. Only real way of justifying what he wants. That or a Super bowl with in the next 5 years.....do'kay.

As of today, I'm in the trade him camp, as long as it's a nice haul which includes a top 10 overall pick this year or next, and more. If that's not obtainable, I pay him.
witljon

Post by witljon »

It’s rumor season. Things should start happening in March.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I'd resign Darrisaw over JJ. Cousins can fuck off if he doesn't want to take less coming off an Achilles injury after getting paid well as a Viking. Go play in Vegas, Atlanta, Seattle or Denver, I don't care.

If you trust KAM, I'd resign JJ, then trade up and get a cheap QB prospect on a rookie deal to pair with JJ on an expensive deal. I'd resign Darrisaw and Hunter, I'd sign a mid-20's vet RB, and draft heavily in the Defense, asking B-Flo (dumb nickname IMO) who/what he wants.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:40 pm With the cap now expected to be 255.4 million this season, that definitely adds to the leverage in JJ's camp. If their plan is to extend him, the longer this drags on it kind of feels like the higher the tally will be.

I mean, we all love JJ, but there's a savvy business side of building a contender too. Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap. Hopefully he put's up top 3 WR numbers with the rookie QB and beyond. Only real way of justifying what he wants. That or a Super bowl with in the next 5 years.....do'kay.

As of today, I'm in the trade him camp, as long as it's a nice haul which includes a top 10 overall pick this year or next, and more. If that's not obtainable, I pay him.
Looks like Florio just wrote any article on this exact subject today.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -on-friday
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:51 pm It’s rumor season. Things should start happening in March.
It’ll start Monday. The NFL combine starts Monday and that’s when all the agents and execs are all together in Indianapolis and things start happening.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Here's the deal. The Vikings have been in existence for nearly 60 years. They have never won a Super Bowl. Let me repeat, they have NEVER won a Super Bowl. This means they have failed in their ultimate goal and that nothing they have done throughout this draught has worked. Now is as good as time as any to get bold....REALLY bold. That means you don't think twice about trading up to get the QB you want. That means thanking Kirk and wishing him well with a new team. That means letting Danielle walk instead of paying him outrageous money. That means absolutely consider trading JJ if the return is grand. NOTHING should be off the table since NOTHING previously has worked. If being bold ends up failing and we remain without a SB then it's basically the status quo. But if being bold and making good decisions FINALLY gets us to where we want to be, well, then DO IT!!!

SKOL!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Hornets wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm Here's the deal. The Vikings have been in existence for nearly 60 years. They have never won a Super Bowl. Let me repeat, they have NEVER won a Super Bowl. This means they have failed in their ultimate goal and that nothing they have done throughout this draught has worked. Now is as good as time as any to get bold....REALLY bold. That means you don't think twice about trading up to get the QB you want. That means thanking Kirk and wishing him well with a new team. That means letting Danielle walk instead of paying him outrageous money. That means absolutely consider trading JJ if the return is grand. NOTHING should be off the table since NOTHING previously has worked. If being bold ends up failing and we remain without a SB then it's basically the status quo. But if being bold and making good decisions FINALLY gets us to where we want to be, well, then DO IT!!!

SKOL!
Really sound logic. :lol:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:40 pm With the cap now expected to be 255.4 million this season, that definitely adds to the leverage in JJ's camp. If their plan is to extend him, the longer this drags on it kind of feels like the higher the tally will be.

Looks like Florio just wrote any article on this exact subject today.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -on-friday
I swear to God this moronic idea just won't die. How many times in the history of the NFL has a no brainer HOF player been traded when they are 24 years old? Jesus Christ. :lol:

I love when these nonsensical and contrived "facts" are tried to be used - "Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap". Well, considering Jerry Rice played in the non cap era when winning 3 titles and certainly would have been highest paid non QB in league and considering Tom Brady won 7, roughly 1/3 of SB in his career and he had exactly one receiver for two seasons who possibly could have been paid like that, I think that "fact" means about as much as the hair on my ass.

Jefferson isnt being traded. He absolutely shouldn't be fn traded. Of fucking course he shouldn't be traded. If you are unclear why, go back to the question I asked in first paragraph. The answer to that question, that is why. FFS. :lol:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:09 pm
witljon wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:51 pm It’s rumor season. Things should start happening in March.
It’ll start Monday. The NFL combine starts Monday and that’s when all the agents and execs are all together in Indianapolis and things start happening.
Right now, speculation season.