Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Butch Bradford

Re: ***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

Post by Butch Bradford »

Hornets wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm Here's the deal. The Vikings have been in existence for nearly 60 years. They have never won a Super Bowl. Let me repeat, they have NEVER won a Super Bowl. This means they have failed in their ultimate goal and that nothing they have done throughout this draught has worked. Now is as good as time as any to get bold....REALLY bold. That means you don't think twice about trading up to get the QB you want. That means thanking Kirk and wishing him well with a new team. That means letting Danielle walk instead of paying him outrageous money. That means absolutely consider trading JJ if the return is grand. NOTHING should be off the table since NOTHING previously has worked. If being bold ends up failing and we remain without a SB then it's basically the status quo. But if being bold and making good decisions FINALLY gets us to where we want to be, well, then DO IT!!!

SKOL!
:clap:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:57 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm Here's the deal. The Vikings have been in existence for nearly 60 years. They have never won a Super Bowl. Let me repeat, they have NEVER won a Super Bowl. This means they have failed in their ultimate goal and that nothing they have done throughout this draught has worked. Now is as good as time as any to get bold....REALLY bold. That means you don't think twice about trading up to get the QB you want. That means thanking Kirk and wishing him well with a new team. That means letting Danielle walk instead of paying him outrageous money. That means absolutely consider trading JJ if the return is grand. NOTHING should be off the table since NOTHING previously has worked. If being bold ends up failing and we remain without a SB then it's basically the status quo. But if being bold and making good decisions FINALLY gets us to where we want to be, well, then DO IT!!!

SKOL!
Really sound logic. :lol:
Please explain in detail what you mean. I laid out a bold, thoughtful post on the situation so please explain your laughter......
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:24 pm

SKOL!
Please explain in detail what you mean. I laid out a bold, thoughtful post on the situation so please explain your laughter......
Failing in the past doesn't necessitate doing stupid shit now. Winning the SB is really, really hard unless your name is Tom Brady.

The stupidity of trading a no brainer HOF player who is 24 fn years old needs absolutely no elaboration. Sorry, it just doesn't.

They want to sell out to go get a top 3 guy, ok, I can see it. But I'm deathly scared of Kwesi deciding what goes in compensation.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 pm
Failing in the past doesn't necessitate doing stupid shit now. Winning the SB is really, really hard unless your name is Tom Brady.

The stupidity of trading a no brainer HOF player who is 24 fn years old needs absolutely no elaboration. Sorry, it just doesn't.

They want to sell out to go get a top 3 guy, ok, I can see it. But I'm deathly scared of Kwesi deciding what goes in compensation.
Now insults aside, I do not want to trade JJ, I'm simply visiting the possibility of a bold, daring move in order to help put the pieces in place to FINALLY win a SB. It cannot be emphasized enough, this proud franchise has NEVER won a SB and has not even frickin been to a SB since the 1970's. :pissed: JJ is indeed headed towards a HOF career if he continues at his current pace and his market value will never be higher than it is now. The key of course if finding a team willing to make a Herschel Walker kind of deal with us and aye, there's the rub. That's where Qwesi comes in and he doesn't exude confidence at this point but maybe he could strike gold?! Again, bold moves like this are dramatic and risky, but if it doesn't work then what? Then we simply continue the status quo, a team that has never won a SB.

SKOL!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:41 pm

Now insults aside, I do not want to trade JJ, I'm simply visiting the possibility of a bold, daring move in order to help put the pieces in place to FINALLY win a SB. It cannot be emphasized enough, this proud franchise has NEVER won a SB and has not even frickin been to a SB since the 1970's. :pissed: JJ is indeed headed towards a HOF career if he continues at his current pace and his market value will never be higher than it is now. The key of course if finding a team willing to make a Herschel Walker kind of deal with us and aye, there's the rub. That's where Qwesi comes in and he doesn't exude confidence at this point but maybe he could strike gold?! Again, bold moves like this are dramatic and risky, but if it doesn't work then what? Then we simply continue the status quo, a team that has never won a SB.

SKOL!
No, Hornet.

Obviously you bring back everybody you've already had at their contract demand price and add role players.

That's how you win the Superbowl.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Can't believe I am going to say it, but I agree with Hornet.

That's not the Viking fan way, though. Vikings fans (for the most part) like shiny $4000 rims on a Chevy Cavalier. They love their WR and RB toys.

You absolutely unload JJ if the return is something you can build a team around a QB with.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:30 pm Can't believe I am going to say it, but I agree with Hornet.

That's not the Viking fan way, though. Vikings fans (for the most part) like shiny $4000 rims on a Chevy Cavalier. They love their WR and RB toys.

You absolutely unload JJ if the return is something you can build a team around a QB with.
My guess is there are several here who also agree with me, but most of them are too proud to admit that Hornets is correct! I appreciate your support on this one...I'm tired of the status quo.
hategreenticemase

Hector wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pm

SKOL!
No, Hornet.

Obviously you bring back everybody you've already had at their contract demand price and add role players.

Yea cuz that's the only other option. You people crack me up. :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:41 pm

SKOL!
No, Hornet.

Tell us your option Mr. Mike Lynn! :lol:
hategreenticemase

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:59 pm

No, Hornet.

Take emotion out of it and methinks you will begin to think more clearly. :lol:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

FFS

Let's get Tropical
hategreenticemase

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 am FFS

Is Chuck Walters even still breathing? At 94 years old Sid was still more correct higher percentage of the time than Walters. "LOOK AT ME! I am still here!" :lol:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I know, I know. But would it be shocking? I mean, if someone overpays massively for him, what do you do? But dude is an elite player. Those don't come around all that often.
Let's get Tropical
rtb

Post by rtb »

Love everyone always trying to trade our stars, it's the MN way smh. You can afford him, there is no guarantee on ANY qb in the draft, still take a guy and give him one of the best weapons in the NFL to throw to through the start and hopeful prime of his career. Everyone would love a Burrow or Josh Allen - well neither of those guys looked like they do until they had some talented receivers to throw to. Same with Hurts. It's the best way to guarantee your young guy succeeds early on. There is exactly one Mahomes out there where it doesn't matter.
hategreenticemase

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:23 am I know, I know. But would it be shocking? I mean, if someone overpays massively for him, what do you do? But dude is an elite player. Those don't come around all that often.
Ah yeah, offer me a pro bowl mid 20s age def lineman and three firsts ya, we can talk. But that ain't happening.

The most laughable part of all this is the notion that the purple would do this. There is no chance of it, NONE. (Unless some freakish development of JJ says he ain't signing here forces their hand)
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

rtb wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:44 am Love everyone always trying to trade our stars, it's the MN way smh. You can afford him, there is no guarantee on ANY qb in the draft, still take a guy and give him one of the best weapons in the NFL to throw to through the start and hopeful prime of his career. Everyone would love a Burrow or Josh Allen - well neither of those guys looked like they do until they had some talented receivers to throw to. Same with Hurts. It's the best way to guarantee your young guy succeeds early on. There is exactly one Mahomes out there where it doesn't matter.
there are a lot of QBs that can make a throw to a wide open JJ. addison for that matter as well. unless the offer is too good to refuse you sign jefferson.
Hector

Post by Hector »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:19 pm

Emotion? That's a strange word to tie to someone who wants to get the team up to speed with the rest of the division, even at the cost of hard choices.

Emotion seems to be the bedfellow of the guys who want to keep signing everybody back.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:45 pm
Emotion? That's a strange word to tie to someone who wants to get the team up to speed with the rest of the division, even at the cost of hard choices.

Emotion seems to be the bedfellow of the guys who want to keep signing everybody back.
All we need to do to get up to speed with the rest of the division is draft and develop better.
At least Det and GB. They're not doing anything special otherwise.

Chi is a different animal so we'll wait and see, but Mia tried a complete tear down and rebuild too, and they still haven't won a playoff game, so it's by no means an inevitability that what Chi is doing will work.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
hategreenticemase

You are a treat. "Hard choices". See, trading a 24 year HOF player isn't a "hard choice". It's moronic. This just in, it's why it never happens. Ever. :lol:

Maybe you would like to point out the other "hard choices" I don't want to make.
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:57 pm

All we need to do to get up to speed with the rest of the division is draft and develop better.

Chi is a different animal so we'll wait and see, but Mia tried a complete tear down and rebuild too, and they still haven't won a playoff game, so it's by no means an inevitability that what Chi is doing will work.
Yeah, the revisionist history is classic. This team with a healthy KDC won 13 games in spite of an awful defense and possibly the worst most moronic DC we ever had. But yeah, same team with healthy KDC can't possibly compete in the division in spite of we have an improving defense and a quality DC.

It's good stuff is what it is. :lol:
Hector

Post by Hector »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:59 pm

You are a treat. "Hard choices". See, trading a 24 year HOF player isn't a "hard choice". It's moronic. This just in, it's why it never happens. Ever. :lol:

Maybe you would like to point out the other "hard choices" I don't want to make.
Moss had 60 TDs in his first four years and C. Carter had 40 in those same 4 years.... how the hell do you build a team around someone with 30 TDs in 4 years while making him the highest paid non QB (maybe Kirk was holding him back)?

The team needs to get up to speed on defense, a running game, find a QB and maybe a new GM/coach. You're going to pay Jefferson, Darrisaw huge contracts after paying Hockenson?

Jefferson will be 25 when the season starts and missed half the season, I'd rather shore up the lines while acquiring some draft capital and take my chances on drafting another WR, than to try to build a team around a WR... it's AP all over again. Sorry if your #18 jersey has tears on it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:14 pm

Moss had 60 TDs in his first four years and C. Carter had 40 in those same 4 years.... how the hell do you build a team around someone with 30 TDs in 4 years while making him the highest paid non QB (maybe Kirk was holding him back)?

The team needs to get up to speed on defense, a running game, find a QB and maybe a new GM/coach. You're going to pay Jefferson, Darrisaw huge contracts after paying Hockenson?

Jefferson will be 25 when the season starts and missed half the season, I'd rather shore up the lines while acquiring some draft capital and take my chances on drafting another WR, than to try to build a team around a WR... it's AP all over again. Sorry if your #18 jersey has tears on it.
i don't know if you've answered this in another thread--but what kind of return do you think you'd get for him?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:57 pm

Right, but so did the Eagle's (to counter your Miami point)... they were a 5 win team in 20 after their SB win in 17.

I haven't seen this team as a legit threat since 17, and I'm curious if Kirk was this great QB, why weren't Jeffersons TD numbers more reflective of somebody that's a threat in the red zone? He's had plenty of targets.
Hector

Post by Hector »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:27 pm

i don't know if you've answered this in another thread--but what kind of return do you think you'd get for him?
viewtopic.php?t=78513

We could probably get more, but with a wr heavy draft on the top, I think a lot if these predictions of 3 first rounders ain't going to happen.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:32 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:27 pm

viewtopic.php?t=78513

We could probably get more, but with a wr heavy draft on the top, I think a lot if these predictions of 3 first rounders ain't going to happen.
That sounds about right to me--and I don't think it's enough to trade him. Of course, I'm basing this on getting one of the top four QBs in this draft. I can't see the Cardinals taking him if they can get Harrison on a rookie contract deal. I actually think the market probably would be constricted because of the big contract. How many teams are going to want to take that on?

I'm not automatically adverse to trading him--but I think it would have to be a better deal than that.
hategreenticemase

I have seen you try this absurd cherry picking TD stat as some end all be all "gotcha" before. It's hilarious. Wonder why you don't compare receiving yards per game for first 4 years, could it because he broke Moss record? It is it maybe he has averaged over 100 yards per game started while noss was 84 per game first 4 years? :lol:

Yes, yes the team is going to pay two of its stud players the money they have earned, like pretty much every other team does. Or do you want to pretend we are in salary cap hell again?

I have never owned a Viking jersey in my life. I bet you have. :lol:
Hector

Post by Hector »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:41 pm

I have seen you try this absurd cherry picking TD stat as some end all be all "gotcha" before. It's hilarious. Wonder why you don't compare receiving yards per game for first 4 years, could it because he broke Moss record? It is it maybe he has averaged over 100 yards per game started while noss was 84 per game first 4 years? :lol:

Yes, yes the team is going to pay two of its stud players the money they have earned, like pretty much every other team does. Or do you want to pretend we are in salary cap hell again?

Actually, I haven't. I do have a tub of viking purple facepaint for sale though....lol.

Hate, we're never going to agree on Jefferson. I don't think TDs is exactly cherry picking some meaningless stat though. They are important.
hategreenticemase

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:45 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:41 pm

Actually, I haven't. I do have a tub of viking purple facepaint for sale though....lol.

Hate, we're never going to agree on Jefferson. I don't think TDs is exactly cherry picking some meaningless stat though. They are important.
Give me a break. By any objective or subjective measure or by any data point, stat or metric Justin Jefferson is one of the top 2-3 receivers in the NFL and a sure fire HOF player. Any trying to painting of otherwise is preposterous. Period.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you are correct we won't agree on trading JJ. The folly of this is that you actually believe they possibly would do this. That's my issue, wasting time talking about something that has no chance of happening. But I get it, we do that sometimes here.

But I do enjoy your takes, Hector. I will even overlook the face paint. :mrgreen:
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

This is starting to feel like Percy Harvin and Diggs all
Over again. Now we just need slick Rick to say he has no intention of trading JJ
hategreenticemase

Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 am This is starting to feel like Percy Harvin and Diggs all
Over again. Now we just need slick Rick to say he has no intention of trading JJ
What is similar at all? Those two dickheads talked/antic-ed their way out of here. JJ has been nothing but the model citizen and never once hinted he wants out even.