Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fire Kwesi!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Tuck ya in

Re: Fire Kwesi!

Post by Tuck ya in »

As everyone knows, this next draft is massive for Kwesi. He's likely gone by next years draft if he doesn't hit on a few picks and in free agency. But lost in his historic ineptitude is the lack of criticism for his bosses. Kwesi didn't hire himself. This hire by the Wilf's was their "Ponder" pick, maybe worse considering it's the most important position in Football operations. As much as I love them as owners they deserve their share of blame in this debacle that has shifted our franchise in reverse. :thumbsdown:
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Kwesi biggest blunder is renegotiating hunter contract. He gave him more money and removed franchise tag. You give a guy a better one year contract for nothing but a year of service that he was obligated to provide anyway. He can walk and vikings get nothing. It is a very bad precedent.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 am One of my son's friends has a PhD in statistics and he works for a NFL team doing analysis.

I think there is a place for analytics but the real problem for football analytics is the sample sizes of most events are incredibly small. I get a kick out of how they carry the precision of some of their "analysis": that catch has a 15.895333305% chance of completion. When you see over precision in a measurement that is usually an indication of the imprecise character of the measure overall.

"Analytics say going for it on 4th down" is the correct call? Bulllshit. How many other times has that team been in that exact situation against that defense? In fact, I think all of these 4th down "analytics" are washed together into situations that are meaningless to the decision maker.
You don't use the statistics alone. You use them in conjunction with other factors such as "that exact situation against that defense" to come to a decision. There is a place for analytics but they should not be used solely to for decision making. They are more for second guessers and click generation.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Our season was over the moment Cousins injured his Achilles. It was a mistake to win meaningless games. With a strong QB class in the draft, we will never have a better situation/opportunity to tank.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

witljon wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:04 am Our season was over the moment Cousins injured his Achilles. It was a mistake to win meaningless games. With a strong QB class in the draft, we will never have a better situation/opportunity to tank.
Agree, the team should have just rolled with Mullens and it would of worked itself out where we lose a few more games. Then in conjunction, any banged up players could of sat out a game ot two, seeing that they weren't in contention. Trading a player or two as well.

Especially knowing our Qb position going forward, and this particular drafts set up. There's suttle ways of tanking from the GM level that are smart and can help your team for the long run.

The foolish pride of grinding out every win after you know you're finished for the season is nonsensical....at least for our team last year in the situation they were in. Not every year, but once I'm a while when it's makes perfect sense.....you have to fold.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

witljon wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:04 am Our season was over the moment Cousins injured his Achilles. It was a mistake to win meaningless games. With a strong QB class in the draft, we will never have a better situation/opportunity to tank.
Obviously we all wish that had happened but it simply never was going to. This team won 13 the year before. We can all argue about whether it was a legit 13 or not but the fact is they won 13 games and so the implication is they have a team that finds ways to win and they wanted to be able to get a chip in a chair for the end of the year. They have a GM who is starting to be on unsettled ground. And this shit just doesn't happen in NFL often. So it simply never was going to happen.

But it does make a mofo wonder what scenario we would be in if we had even just pick 5. Now you have legit options.
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 pm Jesus Christ, will you just go away already. Good Lord. :lol:
He did go away, but he had to come back! I thought he was perma-banned with nutjobiscuit, but I guess not.
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:44 am Kwesi biggest blunder is renegotiating hunter contract. He gave him more money and removed franchise tag. You give a guy a better one year contract for nothing but a year of service that he was obligated to provide anyway. He can walk and vikings get nothing. It is a very bad precedent.
His 2022 draft class has been a huge blunder, especially when you think about high picks Cine, Booth, and Asamoah.
hategreenticemase

Bon Scott wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:16 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 pm Jesus Christ, will you just go away already. Good Lord. :lol:
He did go away, but he had to come back! I thought he was perma-banned with nutjobiscuit, but I guess not.
That's too bad.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

witljon wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:18 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:44 am Kwesi biggest blunder is renegotiating hunter contract. He gave him more money and removed franchise tag. You give a guy a better one year contract for nothing but a year of service that he was obligated to provide anyway. He can walk and vikings get nothing. It is a very bad precedent.
His 2022 draft class has been a huge blunder, especially when you think about high picks Cine, Booth, and Asamoah.
Draft busts happen to everyone but I did not like the trade down with packers.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:00 pm
Draft busts happen to everyone but I did not like the trade down with packers.
Yep. The first trade was worse. Hell, his entire draft was a disaster.

10 picks and the only decent players to come out of it were Ty Chandler (5th round) and Nick Muse (5th round).

1. Lewis Cine 32 DB
2 Andrew Booth 42 CB
2 Ed Ingram 59 G
3 Brian Asamoah 66 LB
4 Akayleb Evans 118 DB
5 Esezi Otomewo 165 DT
5 Ty Chandler 169 RB
6 Vederian Lowe 184 OL
6 Jalen Nailor 191 WR
7 Nick Muse. 227. TE

The excuses start at 8:56 mark. Chip Scoggins (Strib beat writer) and Keviin Seifert (ESPN) asks Kwesi about the 2022 draft and he pukes up a bunch or analytical bullshit

https://www.vikings.com/video/kevin-o-c ... conference

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The strange thing for me is that, you don't draft S, IOL or LB that high unless you're very confident that they're going to be great. It's not a premium position.
So he does not, and not only does one end up being bad, but all three of them end up providing us essentially nothing.

At least with Booth, you can say you drafted a premium position that was one of our biggest needs.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:15 am
The strange thing for me is that, you don't draft S, IOL or LB that high unless you're very confident that they're going to be great. It's not a premium position.
So he does not, and not only does one end up being bad, but all three of them end up providing us essentially nothing.

At least with Booth, you can say you drafted a premium position that was one of our biggest needs.
Good observation. Hamilton was worth the 12 because he’s a flat out stud. Baltimore (one of the highest quality organizations) is thrilled to have him at 14.

Ingram was a late 2nd rounder and has built himself up to adequacy after a bad rookie year. If he continues to improve and becomes above average next year, that’s a reasonable return on a late 2nd. Not great value, but reasonable.

But yeah, a lot of bad thinking went into the 2022 draft, from multiple angles. ‘23 looks better. Hopefully ‘24 will continue to improve.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:28 am

Good observation. Hamilton was worth the 12 because he’s a flat out stud. Baltimore (one of the highest quality organizations) is thrilled to have him at 14.

Ingram was a late 2nd rounder and has built himself up to adequacy after a bad rookie year. If he continues to improve and becomes above average next year, that’s a reasonable return on a late 2nd. Not great value, but reasonable.

But yeah, a lot of bad thinking went into the 2022 draft, from multiple angles. ‘23 looks better. Hopefully ‘24 will continue to improve.
My S comment was more tailored towards Cine specifically.
Some had Hamilton rated as a Top 5 talent, so any time a Top 5 talent regardless of position falls into your lap outside of the top 10, it's justified to take him.

Cine on the other hand wasn't some can't pass over value.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:47 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:28 am

My S comment was more tailored towards Cine specifically.
Some had Hamilton rated as a Top 5 talent, so any time a Top 5 talent regardless of position falls into your lap outside of the top 10, it's justified to take him.

Cine on the other hand wasn't some can't pass over value.
Agree 100%. I was just applying the thinking elsewhere on that draft.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Looking back on the GM hires with the Vikings and the Bears in 2022. You have to wonder where our team would be if we hired Ryan Poles instead of Kwesi. We had an initial interview with poles, but he was our 6th interview at the time. The two teams were very different at the time of the hires, as far as rosters, free agency cap, and draft order status...but it's the boring offseason so I thought I would take a look. Just looking over his main moves as GM so far in his tenure below, avoiding specific draft pick selections....that would be just cruel to Vikings fans. *Not necessarily in chronological order.

Trades a old vet in Khalil Mack to the Chargers for a 2nd and a 6th.

Trades a old vet in Robert Quinn to the Eagles for a 4th.

Trades a stud linebacker in Roquan Smith to the Ravens for 2nd and a 5th.

Trades a 2nd for Chase Claypool, then trades him away for nothing. Bad trade.

Trades the 2023 #1 overall pick to the Panthers for their #9, #61st, 2024 1st, and 2025 2nd and DJ Moore.
(The Bears could of selected Young or Stroud, we'll never know but Young was the consensus pick at the time. Considering avoiding Young, getting that massive haul in return, and falling into the #1 overall pick in 2024 who very likely will be Caleb Williams......wow, just wow. A+ historic all time trade).

Trades a 2nd rounder for stud Montez Sweat, signs him to expensive extension.

Poles will likely trade Fields for upwards of a 2nd rounder soon.

The Bears are set up for a strong run.
medicineball

Post by medicineball »

We're sunk unless Kwesi is fired.

Kwesi won't trade Jefferson, and he won't let go of Cousins.

The only way to rebuild this team is starting on the d-line and that means keeping Hunter.

Fire Kwesi, trade Jefferson, say thanks to Kirk for a number of good years and goodbye, and sign Hunter to a solid multi-year deal.

Defense, defense defense.
hategreenticemase

Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 am Looking back on the GM hires with the Vikings and the Bears in 2022. You have to wonder where our team would be if we hired Ryan Poles instead of Kwesi. We had an initial interview with poles, but he was our 6th interview at the time. The two teams were very different at the time of the hires, as far as rosters, free agency cap, and draft order status...but it's the boring offseason so I thought I would take a look. Just looking over his main moves as GM so far in his tenure below, avoiding specific draft pick selections....that would be just cruel to Vikings fans. *Not necessarily in chronological order.

Trades the 2023 #1 overall pick to the Panthers for their #9, #61st, 2024 1st, and 2025 2nd and DJ Moore.
(The Bears could of selected Young or Stroud, we'll never know but Young was the consensus pick at the time. Considering avoiding Young, getting that massive haul in return, and falling into the #1 overall pick in 2024 who very likely will be Caleb Williams......wow, just wow. A+ historic all time trade).

Nice work.

Certainly would prefer him to the dummy we have.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:01 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 am Looking back on the GM hires with the Vikings and the Bears in 2022. You have to wonder where our team would be if we hired Ryan Poles instead of Kwesi. We had an initial interview with poles, but he was our 6th interview at the time. The two teams were very different at the time of the hires, as far as rosters, free agency cap, and draft order status...but it's the boring offseason so I thought I would take a look. Just looking over his main moves as GM so far in his tenure below, avoiding specific draft pick selections....that would be just cruel to Vikings fans. *Not necessarily in chronological order.

Nice work.

Yeah. Hiring Eberflus is his only real bad blemish.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Trading old expensive guys for 2nd round picks is wise. You get a 2nd round picks and you can sign a younger expensive guy. 2 for the price of one.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:38 pm

Nice work.

Yeah. Hiring Eberflus is his only real bad blemish.
But that also goes hand in hand.
You're not entitled to a good coach yet.

If you pretty much tell everyone that you're going to be stripping down and building back up from scratch, then you're not going to be what most quality coaches are looking for.

Which is the paradox. You are venturing on a journey that requires serious coaching and development, yet you are not going to be attractive to the very coaches that you need in order to see things to the finish line.

They couldn't even get a decent OC this offseason when everyone knew they had the #1 pick in a good QB draft, and two years of work was done.

They have to hope that Eberflus and the new guy can really take strides forward, or that they can do enough to attract a mercenary coach to come and take them to the finish line.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The worst part about the Bears HC was bringing him back. They should have canned him this offseason.

The Bears are about to take off and does anyone believe Eberflus is going to be the guy who’s there to see it?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I don’t get the Kwesi hate already.

I think he’s done a decent job. He hasn’t been great and he hasn’t been terrible. The 2022 draft was TERRIBLE but I don’t have many complaints about anything else.

He will go down as an absolute LEGEND if he can get us into the top 3 and lands a franchise QB though. Just that alone will be enough to become one of the best GMs we’ve had.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:31 pm I don’t get the Kwesi hate already.

I think he’s done a decent job. He hasn’t been great and he hasn’t been terrible. The 2022 draft was TERRIBLE but I don’t have many complaints about anything else.

He will go down as an absolute LEGEND if he can get us into the top 3 and lands a franchise QB though. Just that alone will be enough to become one of the best GMs we’ve had.
It wasn't just the 2022 draft being terrible it was him getting fleeced on the trade down and donating away capital. That was equally bad.

It's pretty well documented Addison was KOC pounding the table for, and other than him, last years draft was no fucking bargain either. How about the donating a 4th round pick for that garbage TE I can't even remember his name? Davenport was a great signing. Let's hand a clearly back up and limited RB the starting position.

Come on. This is you doing your contrarian shit. By the way, I'm Good with making a big move like you want and trading up into the top three. But let me say as loudly as I can, that's f****** terrifying knowing he's the one orchestrating the trade. You should be scared of that too.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:49 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:31 pm I don’t get the Kwesi hate already.

It wasn't just the 2022 draft being terrible it was him getting fleeced on the trade down and donating away capital. That was equally bad.

It's pretty well documented Addison was KOC pounding the table for, and other than him, last years draft was no fucking bargain either. How about the donating a 4th round pick for that garbage TE I can't even remember his name? Davenport was a great signing. Let's hand a clearly back up and limited RB the starting position.

Come on. This is you doing your contrarian shit. By the way, I'm Good with making a big move like you want and trading up into the top three. But let me say as loudly as I can, that's f****** terrifying knowing he's the one orchestrating the trade. You should be scared of that too.
I think that's what it is too.
It's knowing that the moves that are made this specific offseason will have long term ramifications for this team (negotiating the contract of the highest paid non-QB in history, negotiating on re-signing Hunter or letting one of the best Edges in the game leave for nothing, picking our QB of the future/possibly trading multiple years of picks for said QB) , and having Kwesi at the helm for those is very unsettling considering the unconventional first two years of his tenure.

Had this been just a boring offseason, it wouldn't be as pronounced.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:31 am

Trading old expensive guys for 2nd round picks is wise. You get a 2nd round picks and you can sign a younger expensive guy. 2 for the price of one.
Agreed, we let a lot of older vets walk or retire here. Some strange loyalty from management over the years. Would be nice to get something for them well there's still value. Comp picks do have to be factured in, but still.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Nice work.

It stings more, because it's with in the division too.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm going to extend kwesi a little more rope after making the right decision on kirk. now finish the job by getting your QB in the draft.
nigel

Post by nigel »

I think Butch was and is correct, ladies.
They say, "Why you rappin' bout hoes and shit?"
'Cause I got a whole lotta hoes and shit
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:46 pm i'm going to extend kwesi a little more rope after making the right decision on kirk. now finish the job by getting your QB in the draft.
Hopefully the Wilfs documented how close he actually got, because that Cousins deal is ridiculous.
They don't get that high unless Kwesi was pretty far down the path as well.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo