Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
PurpleValhalla

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by PurpleValhalla »

If no one above us will agree to a trade, and the QBs we want are gone at 11, should we trade down or should we take BPA?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm If no one above us will agree to a trade, and the QBs we want are gone at 11, should we trade down or should we take BPA?
I would trade down at 11.
Not a big one by any means, somewhere like mid to late teens, with goal being to get a RD3 pick.

Still in range for one of Murphy, Latu, Verse, Arnold, Mitchell, Fautanu.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm If no one above us will agree to a trade, and the QBs we want are gone at 11, should we trade down or should we take BPA?
Give me the 10 names that are gone and the trade down offers that are on the table and I’ll give you an answer.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Ben Goessling said on KFAN that Bo Nix is the least likely to be drafted by Minnesota out of the top six.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 pm Ben Goessling said on KFAN that Bo Nix is the least likely to be drafted by Minnesota out of the top six.
That means it’s going to be Nix!
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Anyone that thinks JJ gets to 11 is an idiot

I dont think any trades are open now, but If they were I would go for #5

If all 4 QBs go, we would get the best player in the draft. I can live with that
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

In about 48 hours we will FINALLY know!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 pm Ben Goessling said on KFAN that Bo Nix is the least likely to be drafted by Minnesota out of the top six.
Thursday can’t come soon enough :lol:

Here’s Charles Robinson saying that if the Vikings can’t get Maye, they will stand pat and take Nix at 23.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-nugg ... 44604.html
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Mock from StarTrib:
Mark Craig's first-round mock draft: Which teams will try, try again to find their franchise quarterback?

By MARK CRAIG , STAR TRIBUNE
April 23, 2024 - 5:55 PM

If you're an old fogie who still loves defense, look away now!

This Mock Draft 1.n.Done has offensive players being taken with the top seven picks, nine of the first 10 and 13 of the first 14.

The inability to win, function or even keep Bill Belichick employed without a franchise quarterback is driving this year's offensive shopping spree. This particular venture into the futile world of mock drafts projects six quarterbacks in the top 13 picks, including one of two projected trades in which the Vikings do indeed find a partner and officially start the countdown clock to the day when General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and/or coach Kevin O'Connell are either canonized by or excommunicated from Purple Nation.

No pressure, guys. No pressure at all.

1. Bears (from Carolina)

Caleb Williams, QB, Southern California. The Bears have never had a quarterback reach 30 touchdowns or 4,000 yards in a season. Ever. So try, try again they must.

ADVERTISEMENT

How interest in the mock drafts we love so much went from zero to infinity
Former Totino-Grace star set to follow father as first-round pick
2. Commanders

Jayden Daniels, QB, Louisiana State. Washington has had 12 starting QBs since Kirk Cousins left after the 2017 season. So, try, try again they must.

3. Patriots

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina. A quarterback-starved team simply does not trade this pick with Maye and J.J. McCarthy on the board.

4. Cardinals

Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State. Arizona has 11 picks, including three of the top 35. They don't need more picks. They need the best player in this draft.

5. Vikings (mock trade with Chargers)

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan. The Vikings surrender the 11th and 23rd picks this year and a fourth-rounder next year for the highest-drafted quarterback in franchise history. The Chargers' Jim Harbaugh thanks his former college QB for helping him move down to fill two needs at right tackle and receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT

6. Giants

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU. The Giants' leading receiver last year was Wan'Dale Robinson, a 5-8 guy who had 60 catches for 525 yards and an 8.8 average.

7. Titans

Joe Alt, LT, Notre Dame. New line coach Bill Callahan loves the Totino-Grace grad, and vice versa. The Titans fill a huge need with the draft's safest pick.

8. Falcons

Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama. Atlanta doesn't have to move up to fill a need with the top defender still on the board.

9. Bears

Rome Odunze, WR, Washington. D.J. Moore, Keenan Allen and now this guy? No wonder Vikings DC Brian Flores says he wants more cornerbacks.

10. Jets

Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia. The Jets need Aaron Rodgers, and Aaron Rodgers needs an elite player who can help from Day 1.

11. Chargers (mock trade with Vikings)

Taliese Fuaga, RT, Oregon State. Everything Harbaugh does offensively is based on having maulers up front.

ADVERTISEMENT

12. Broncos

Bo Nix, QB, Oregon. Monday's trade for Zach Wilson did little to help this QB-dysfunctional team.

13. Raiders

Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington. This isn't the year for QB beggars to choose waiting until the second round. A trade down in Round 1 is a possibility for Vegas.

14. Saints

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State. New Orleans is a mess at tackle.

15. Colts

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo. Indianapolis adds the top corner to one of the league's youngest secondaries.

16. Seahawks

Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas. If this game-changing D-tackle falls this far, Seattle's defensive-minded coach Mike Macdonald will catch him.

17. Jaguars

Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama. Jacksonville is desperate for a cornerback. Mitchell is another one they like, but he's gone.

18. Bengals

Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson. The run on corners continues, but Cincinnati also could go receiver or offensive tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT

19. Rams

Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois. Sean McVay has coached the Rams for seven seasons, been to two Super Bowls and won one. And this is his first first-round pick.

20. Steelers

Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington. If Russell Wilson is going to cook again, Pittsburgh needs more muscle to run the ball.

21. Dolphins

Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State. Miami could reach for Michigan DT Kris Jenkins to fill a need, but Verse's value here is greater.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

If they trade three picks for McCarthy just burn the organization down
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Holy shit! I may hit on my Broncos pick at QB at 12!

Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Dane Bugler and Albert Breer just came out and said the Giants will not trade up for JJ McCarthy.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Simms, Schefter etc.. Reporting Daniels is going to be the #2 pick.

His odds just went HUGE to #2 in Vegas and everyone is reporting it. No surprise.

Drake Lee Maye is going to be there and the Pats are not enamored. GET IT DONE KWESI. It’s right there for the taking just INCHES IN FRONT OF YA FACE.

I believe the Pats are blowing so much smoke right now. I don’t believe the Giants are in on it. The Pats want more and are just trying to bleed us for a guy they don’t ultimately want. Best case scenario is they draft JJ. Fuck the Cards. No team has any reason to trade with them unless they are stupid. There is ZERO chance they draft a QB.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm Dane Bugler and Albert Breer just came out and said the Giants will not trade up for JJ McCarthy.
I think that makes a lot of sense. The only way I see the Giants going QB is if McCarthy or Maye fall to them at #6.

Of course, there are swarms of other people on the internet claiming just the opposite.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm Simms, Schefter etc.. Reporting Daniels is going to be the #2 pick.

His odds just went HUGE to #2 in Vegas and everyone is reporting it. No surprise.

Drake Lee Maye is going to be there and the Pats are not enamored. GET IT DONE KWESI. It’s right there for the taking just INCHES IN FRONT OF YA FACE.

I believe the Pats are blowing so much smoke right now. I don’t believe the Giants are in on it. The Pats want more and are just trying to bleed us for a guy they don’t ultimately want. Best case scenario is they draft JJ. Fuck the Cards. No team has any reason to trade with them unless they are stupid. There is ZERO chance they draft a QB.
I don't think Arizona wants to trade out of #4 either.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm Simms, Schefter etc.. Reporting Daniels is going to be the #2 pick.

I don't think Arizona wants to trade out of #4 either.
Nope. They take MHJ unless NE does.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I think so.

I saw someone say that QB prospects are Rorschach tests for organizations. Selecting them says as much about the organization that does so as it does about the prospect.

It's not as simple as saying "player X is the 3rd best so he goes 3rd." There are so many more layers to it. I'm not sure that when NE looks at Maye they see a piece of clay they can mold into a no-doubt franchise stud. I'm pretty sure O'Connell thinks that when he sees him. I think a deal happens. I think NE is smartly trying to get all they can in the trade. I don't know what the final price will be, but I think it happens.

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Somebody talk me off the ledge. I just see all these QBs going early - and perhaps as reaches - and I'm reminded of the 5 QBs who went in the Top 15 three years ago: Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones. But I shouldn't worry. We've obviously come a long, long way in the science of scouting QBs since 2021.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

Realistic scenario: Giants trade up to 3 to take MHJ. We then make a deal with Zona at 4 to come up to get Maye. Draft order ends up Caleb to Bears, Daniels to Commanders, MHJ to Giants, Maye to Vikes. My projected trade package with Zona would be 11, 23, next years first and next years 5th. I'm in with this
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm Somebody talk me off the ledge. I just see all these QBs going early - and perhaps as reaches - and I'm reminded of the 5 QBs who went in the Top 15 three years ago: Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones. But I shouldn't worry. We've obviously come a long, long way in the science of scouting QBs since 2021.
While Lawrence was the obvious first pick, WIlson and Lance, along with Mac Jones, were not top 15 picks. They were not even close to being as good of QB prospects as the QB4 of 2024, and would not, at least in my evaluations done back then, be in the top 6 quarterbacks of this draft.

I think if all of the 2021 and 2024 QBs were in a group the draft order would have been:

1. Caleb WIlliams
2. Trev Lawrence
3. Jayden Daniels
4. Zack Wilson
5. Drake Maye
6. Justin Fields
7. Trey Lance
8. JJ McCarthy

But personally would rate it this way:

Williams-Lawrence-Daniels-Fields-McCarthy-Maye, all being top 15 picks. I never rated Wilson or Lance as a high first round pick and I though Mac Jones was a 3rd rounder at best.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm Somebody talk me off the ledge. I just see all these QBs going early - and perhaps as reaches - and I'm reminded of the 5 QBs who went in the Top 15 three years ago: Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones. But I shouldn't worry. We've obviously come a long, long way in the science of scouting QBs since 2021.
What do you want anyone to say? Players bust. So we shouldn't take any?

Here's how I have them ranked as far as overall prospects coming out, if it makes you feel any better. This is/was just my personal ranking:

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

As you can see, I wasn't nearly as high on the 21 class as I am on this class. I put an asterisk* by Lance because he was soooo unknown. But I really didn't like Wilson or Jones. I'd put Penix for sure and maybe even Nix above them. I never bought the hype on Wilson and I thought Jones was about as blah as could be.

I did think that Fields was going to be good, though. So I was wrong about that. But maybe if he went somewhere other than that dreadful Chicago team, he would have been better.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beetlejuice wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm Dane Bugler and Albert Breer just came out and said the Giants will not trade up for JJ McCarthy.
I don’t think any team will.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm

Here's how I have them ranked as far as overall prospects coming out, if it makes you feel any better. This is/was just my personal ranking:

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

As you can see, I wasn't nearly as high on the 21 class as I am on this class. I put an asterisk* by Lance because he was soooo unknown. But I really didn't like Wilson or Jones. I'd put Penix for sure and maybe even Nix above them. I never bought the hype on Wilson and I thought Jones was about as blah as could be.

I did think that Fields was going to be good, though. So I was wrong about that. But maybe if he went somewhere other than that dreadful Chicago team, he would have been better.
I think I’d put McCarthy with Mac Jones. :shrug:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Albert Breer reports that #1-#3 will not trade picks and use their selections. QB's go 1, 2 & 3. Maye will not be available to the Vikings to select.
Also reporting that AZ has stated that they will not trade their pick until they are on the clock on Thursday night. Smart of AZ to see what they can get for it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZC2dSeNiWs&t=1s[/youtube]
Last edited by William Munny on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am Albert Breer reports that #1-#3 will not trade picks and use their selections. QB's go 1, 2 & 3. Maye will not be available to the Vikings to select.
Also reporting that AZ has stated that they will not trade their pick until they are on the clock on Thursday night. Smart of AZ to see what they can get for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZC2dSeNiWs&t=1s[/youtube]
Don’t believe anything you hear until 12 hours before the draft.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am Albert Breer reports that #1-#3 will not trade picks and use their selections. QB's go 1, 2 & 3. Maye will not be available to the Vikings to select.

I don't.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm

Caleb Williams
Trevor Lawrence
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Justin Fields
Trey Lance*
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

so to be clear - this is how you would have rated all these prospects coming out of college - without the benefit of seeing them succeed or struggle in the pros? I just feel like there is sooo much hype and smoke that goes on in the predraft process - beginning early in the college season and obviously often in the years prior. Penix is a good example - and I even kind of like Penix. But I think early in this year's college season, if you looked at early mocks - because of his injury history mostly, he was like a late second/early third rounder. Now people are talking about him as a possibility in the teens? And he's just one of these stories. The hype machinery goes wild on some of these players - and I think JJ is a great example of that. And that is likely what also happened with guys like Lance. How do we think we are somehow immune from getting sucked into the hype vortex this time around?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am

you don't have to--but i've never read a post here that makes a convincing argument why the patriots should pass on a QB in a QB rich draft when they're at the three position. sorry, but two extra firsts wouldn't be close to the compensation needed for them to move off that spot imo. you take your shot at three and build around what is hopefully your franchise QB. i've countered with that point a couple of times when someone tries to say that it'd be in the patriots interest to trade out.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Hornets wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:19 pm In about 48 hours we will FINALLY know!!

The next 36 hours is gonna be one hell of a ride.